snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Say What? Flags in Wal*Mart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Say What? Flags in Wal*Mart
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a telephone central office tech, and right now I'm covering the office of one of my vacationing co-workers. Years ago, he bought an American flag (w/pole and wall mount) to hang out front. Lately, though, he hasn't because the flag is showing it's age. As a quasi-christmas gift, I decided that on payday, I would walk across the street to Wally World and get a new one.

So, I'm taking my lunch break browsing and I couldn't find flags. I was in lawn and garden with the rest of the outside decorations and such, but no flags. So, I asked one of the employees:

"American flags? They're in Stationary."

So, why in the world would the national flag be in Stationary?

Donovan Ravenhull

PS: Oh, just for the giggles that I know some of y'all will get into here: "It's in stationary as part of Wal*Mart's evil plan to make our flag no better than paper and force all of us God-fearing Americans to burn them..."

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If stationary is the same section that has all the party and other festive decorations, that doesn't seem that odd to me (in fact that's where I pictured them when you mentioned it, but probably because I recall seeing them there). Flags are not solely for outdoor purposes so lawn and garden doesn't seem any more logical to me than the section of the store that houses decorations and such since a lot of people only fly flags on holidays.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GiftHunter
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiftHunter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else keep reading the title without the 'l' in Flags?

--------------------
There are two constants in life: there is no god but God and this too shall pass. Everything else, including death and taxes, is negotiable.

Posts: 108 | From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*Malruhn sheepishly raises his hand*

Kev has the answer in my opinion. That's where the decorations are... so where else do you put them?

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Donovan Ravenhull:

Because at this time of the year flags don't move.

Barbara "july it ain't" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
quote:
Originally posted by Donovan Ravenhull:

Because at this time of the year flags don't move.
[lol] I've searched the whole page looking for the place they keep the pencils and envelopes. Now I understand why I couldn't find it: they moved it. (Too bad it wasn't stationary.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages