snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Vegetarian Holiday Party Food

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vegetarian Holiday Party Food
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I'm throwing a small little holiday dinner party for some of my friends right after Christmas, but one of my friends is a vegetarian, so I'd like to be sure that I have plenty of vegetarian options available for her to eat.

I'm already pretty sure I'll make some sort of veggie lasagna for the main course at dinner, but I'm a little stumped at what other stuff I could get for finger-food and appetizers, other than say, some veggie springrolls. I'd like it to be stuff that everyone can enjoy, so it's not like she has "her" food and the non-vegetarians have theirs, so I'd basically like everything to be vegetarian. Ease of preparation is key too, as I'm no gourmet chef. [Big Grin]

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. [Smile]

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since you suggested veggie lasagna as the main course, I'm assuming she's not completely vegan but also eats dairy. In which case, you could make or buy spanakopita. Or cut a bunch of pita breads into wedges and serve with various dips; hummus, babaganoush, tzatziki.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stuffed mushrooms can be made vegetarian or even, I imagine, vegan. If your friend eats cheese, of course, the possibilities expand greatly.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any of the local stores have "olive bars" or "antipasti bars"? Those offer some great easy options.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If she eats dairy, I would recommend spinach artichoke dip:

8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 - 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained, coarsely chopped
½ c frozen chopped spinach, well-drained and wrung-out in a clean kitchen towel
¼ c mayonnaise
¼ c Parmesan cheese
¼ c Romano cheese
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 T fresh basil (1 t basil if dry)
¼ c Mozzarella cheese grated
salt and pepper to taste

Cream together mayonnaise, Parmesan, Romano cheese, garlic, and basil. Mix well. Add the artichoke hearts and spinach, and mix until blended. Pour into baking dish and top with Mozzarella. Bake at 350° F. for 25 minutes or until the top is browned. Serve with toasted bread.

ETA: You can leave out the mayo if she doesn't eat eggs. I forgot eggs are in mayo. I've made it without the mayo and it still tastes good.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She's vegetarian, not vegan, she used to be vegan but she's relaxed her restrictions since then and she'll eat dairy now. Just no meats, poultry or fish.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Couscous salad. Really easy to make, delicious, and chock full of protein and fibre. Just look up a recipe online. Like this one.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't go wrong with simple cheese and crackers. A nice cheese selection from a gourmet market with some cool crackers. It doesn't have to be cheddar cubes and ritz.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you're good to go. The entree is vegetarian lasagne. Are you planning on some vegetables as side dishes? What about a simple salad to start the meal?

If you're planning appetizers, you can do just about anything. Cheese and crackers, dip, etc.

As someone who is a semi-vegetarian (I still eat fish about once a week), I'm usually happy with there's anything more than salad for me to eat when I go somewhere.

Edited: for clarity

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stryder
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stryder   E-mail Stryder   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Carrot sticks and celery sticks with cream cheese spread.A pickle tray with sweet gerkins, dill spears, sweet spears, and olives. Apple slices and orange slices. Cucumber sandwiches sliced into triangles. Cookies!
Posts: 22 | From: Buffalo, MO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My aunt made an amazing appetizer for my mom's Thanksgiving spread.

It was big seedless grapes rolled in goat cheese and walnuts. I think she mixed the goat cheese with a small amount of water to make it more spreadable. It was absolutely delicious.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have Trader Joe's stores in your area? I found some hummus dip there last week. Serve that with some crackers.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

ThistleS, your aunt's appetizer sounds wonderful!

For a nice twist on cheese-and-crackers, you might try baked brie en croute. Mmmm.

--------------------

Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spinach samosas are good appetizers, if you can find a good recipe.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 08 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a tart that I love. It is soooo yummy; mom has made it for me several times. We discovered it at a place called Vin'tij in Destin, and they were kind enough to give us the recipie.

RED WINE BLUE CHEESE TART

FOR DOUGH:
1/4 pound BUTTER
1-3/4 CUP FLOUR
1 PINCH SALT
1/4 CUP RED WINE

FOR TOPPING:
1.5 lbs. CRUMBLED BLUE CHEESE
1 lb. RED GRAPES
1 CUP CANDIED WALNUTS

1. IN A FOOD PROCESSOR PULSE THE BUTTER AND FLOUR UNTIL COMBINED, THEN DRIZZLE THE RED WINE INTO THE PROCESSOR. PULSE THE DOUGH UNTIL IT BALLS UP
2. ON A FLOUR COVERED CUTTING BOARD ROLL THE DOUGH OUT AND LINE YOUR FLOUR AND BUTTERED TART PAN WITH THE DOUGH
3. SPREAD THE CRUMBLED BLUE CHEESE INTO THE TART PAN AND BAKE @350 FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES OR UNTIL THE CHEESE GETS A LITTLE GOLDEN BOWN, NOT TOO MUCH
4. LET THE TART COOL FOR A FEW MINUTES AND PRESS THE GRAPES INTO THE CHEESE, GARNISH THE TART WITH ROAST PEPPERS, BALSAMIC REDUCTION AND THE CANDIED WALNUTS

BALSAMIC REDUCTION
6 OZ. SUGAR
4 OZ. WATER
1 QUART BALSAMIC VINEGAR
1 PINCH CRUSHED RED CHILIS

MEASURE AND COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS INTO A SAUCEPOT
OVER MEDIUM HEAT, COOK REDUCTION UNTIL IT STARTS TO THICKEN
THE SAUCE SHOULD EASILY COAT THE BACK OF A SPOON,
IF YOU COOK IT TOO FAR, DRIZZLE SOME WATER INTO IT.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll give another nod to stuffed mushroom caps. Delicious, hot, and they look good on a platter.

Various types of hummus with pita bread and veggies for dipping are an excellent choice.

Phylld-dough spinach cups are a tasty treat.

And, of course, there's always deviled eggs...although eggs aren't always acceptable to vegetarians.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm making this appetizer for a dinner this Friday. It can be served hot or cold and can be made ahead:

Vegetable Squares
3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
1 cup grated carrot
1 tbsp minced onion flakes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 large eggs, fork beaten
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dill weed
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients in bowl, turn into greased 9X9" pan. Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes until set and browned.

If you're interested, I also have a recipe for samosas which are baked rather than fried with mashed potatoes used to make the dough for the crust. If you're going to have leftover mashed potatoes this could be a good way to use them.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh lots of tasty suggestions, thanks everyone. [Smile] I'm not quite sure what her stance is on eggs unfortunately. I'm sure she's fine with eggs mixed into a dish (like a cake made with eggs) but I'm not sure if she'd go for deviled eggs. Might not be a problem with the free-range eggs we buy though.

--------------------

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'm also making a really easy pasta salad with lots of veggies that's good to make ahead, as well. It's my staple potluck or open house dish and always goes over really well:

3 cups rotini pasta
water for boiling pasta
2 tsp salt

1 medium red pepper, slivered
2 cups zucchini with peel, slivered
1/4 cup sliced green onion
6 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup celery

1/3 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dried whole oregano
1/4 tsp dried sweet basil
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Cook pasta in boiling water and first amount of salt for 10-12 minutes under tender but firm. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain well, and return to pot or large bowl.

Mix in next 5 ingredients.

Mix remaining 8 ingredients in measuring cup. Pour over pasta mixtures, stir to coat well.

I typically make this the night before or morning of the event and put it into a tightly covered bowl in the fridge so I can flip it partway through to redistribute any dressing that's accumulated at the bottom.

--------------------

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tabouli salad
Pasta salad
Any type of salad without a meat element
Couscous
Chopped veggies, fruits, crackers, chips, cheese, bread, dip...most appetizers I encounter don't contain meat.

Look up some tofu stir-fry or shish-kebob recipes online. Although it takes a while to drain and press regular tofu, you can also buy it in pre-grilled patties (try the Marjon brand of tofu). I chop it into squares and fry it in a bit of butter and soy sauce. You can then stick the squares on toothpicks, with cheese or olives or anything else to make a little shish-kebob appetizer. Tempeh can also be used instead of tofu.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get a soft mozzarella, slice it up, and layer with roma tomatoes. Drizzle with chopped basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.

Serve with sliced baguette on the side.

Really easy!

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If your friend likes spicy food, salsa and chips would be good.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Big pile of cubed feta and walnuts, drizzled with honey and served with crackers.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once ate Turkee Slices for Thanksgiving. Some may find this tacky, but I found it amazingly sweet and thoughtful for the hostess to think of buying them. I told her that as long as she had a couple of veggies as a side dish, I didn´t need anything extra. But the "Turkee Slices" were just a perfect complement.

So if you can find a veggie parallel to whatever your main dish is, it can be really cute to get it.

Diana

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jenn, I'd love the samosas recipe, please. That sounds really delicious.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Sure:

Samosas
Crust
2 cups mashed baking potatoes (baking potatoes are best because of their dry texture)
1 large egg, fork beaten
1.25 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt

Filling
1.5 cups diced cooked potato (any kind of potato will do)
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (Indian chili powder)
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt

1 large egg, fork beaten

Crust: Mix all 4 ingredients in bowl to form soft ball of dough. Roll half of dough out on well-floured surface in 11X14" rectangle. Cut into 3.5 inch squares.

Filling: Mix first 7 ingredients in bowl. Spoon rounded tablespoonfuls onto one side of center in each square. Dampen two adjoining sides and fold over diagonally. Seal edges with floured fork.

Brush tops with egg and place on greased baking sheet at 400F for 14 to 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Yield: 24 samosas.

Variation: Omit brushing with egg and deep fry a few at a time in 375F cooking oil for 3.5 to 4 minutes until golden brown and remove to paper towels to drain.

--------------------

Pseudo_Croat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you can't go wrong with a veggie platter (carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes) and a yogurt-based dip. Or a tray of sliced apples (green and red) and cheese cubes with caramel dip.

- Pseudo "it's good for you" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VersesBatman:
If your friend likes spicy food, salsa and chips would be good.

And guacamole! I love guacamole.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Guacamole is good! A meatless nacho platter is good too.

Also you could try Mexican red rice with peas and carrots.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a vegetarian, and one of my favorite things to make for parties is savory empanadas. Basically little flaky pastries filled with potato, carrot, onion, spinach, or whatever else I have. I've made them really small for appetizers because then they're great finger food, good hot or cold.They're vegan too. I can give you my recipe, or you could just Google someone else's.

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For general appetizers with a dip, plantain chips are a yummy alternative to oily potato chips or even nachos. I don't know if you'll be able to find them in Massachusetts, though.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages