snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Anybody who can translate Croatian, please help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody who can translate Croatian, please help!
Cat Grey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat Grey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my job responsibilities is answering Letters To Santa that come in through the website for our Santa's Village event. The event is just a little, local thing - but we get emails from all over the world.

This one presents an intriguing new problem: I can't read it. The country given is HR (Croatia), but the online translator websites aren't helping me. They garble the sentences horribly, and in addition they don't seem to be able to translate more than five words in six.

Help...?
quote:
From the letter:
Dragi djede Mraze, Puno ti hvala na prošlogodišnjem pismu. Mojoj mami i meni bilo je lijepo čitati to pismo. Kako si? Imaš li puno posla? Kao i prošle godine, znam svirati synthesizer i treniram karate. U karateu imam plavi pojas. Na synthesizeru znam svirati puno Božićnih pjesama. Ja te lijepo molim da mi za Božić doneseš igračku Svemirske konstrukcije. Puno srdačnih pozdrava šalju ti moja mama Vesna i ja Ozren.

Cat "I've been polyglotted!" Grey

--------------------
"Beer assuages grief. No one tells you that." ~Arrow-Tech IV

Posts: 1612 | From: Darkest America (Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can make out bits here and there - "Dragi djede Mraze" is "Dear Santa Claus (literally 'Dear Father Frost' - Santa's name in Eastern Europe, hails from Communist days)", "Kako si?" is "How are you?", "moja mama Vesna" is "my mother Vesna." I can also make out something about playing the synthesizer (and especially about playing a Christmas song on it!) and karate training (he/she's a blue belt). It also sounds like he/she wants a universal (or is it space?) construction set for Christmas. Beyond this, you'll need someone more fluent in the language than me.

- "Hey, I'm only a" Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The real question is: Once you translate it, how are you going to answer it? [Eek!]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cat Grey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cat Grey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that's a lot more helpful than the web translation was. Is there any chance the "my mother Vesna" is Mrs. Claus?

Not that it matters too much. What we send back are fairly generic letters (I have a variety of templates). This looks like a fairly typical Christmas letter: "Hello, I've been good, I enjoy doing these things, and I want X for Christmas." My worry was that it might be asking something specific that I would need to answer. (Santa tries not to blow off children's questions, which means that occasionally I end up sending out some very... interesting... letters.)

Doug 4.7: I'll probably send back two copies. One will be in English, and the other will be babelfished (which will probably make it indecipherable, rather than Croatian, but what the heck).

--------------------

Posts: 1612 | From: Darkest America (Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas) | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, so I'm translating it from Croatian to Russian to English using a Serbian dictionary. Basically, he wants a synthesizer and a Karate uniform (Blue Belt). I'll puzzle out the details of the synthesizer later.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just envision the translation going something like:
quote:
Dear Sonny:
Glad to get your letter. Yes, you can beat up your Mom with the blue belt. I do that all the time with Mrs. Claus. Yes, synthesizing drugs in your closet is a fun way to make money. You wonder how Rudolf got his red nose. Anyway, continue to working in the brothel, it s good practice. If you can, leave one of the “cookies” out for me. I like eating them.

Love,

Father Freeze

Yes, inspired by Monty Python...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
His name is Ozren and his mother's name is Vesna - the word "pozdrava" means to "wish you health", and it is used here in closing. Vesna has nothing to do with Mrs. Claus.

If you try to translate, do it one word or sentence at a time - most online translators can't conjugate a verb properly, especially if you consider that in some languages, you can re-arrange object, subject, and verb all 9 different ways and the sentence still makes sense (though some inversions imply a question).

Pseudo_Croat is right about what he says - he says that he knows a lot of Christmas carols (I think) on the synthesizer. I was very confused about this letter and had to look up "puno" - it means lots - and then it made a lot more sense.

As far as I know, "igračku Svemirske konstrukcije" means "game space construction" - though if this is a computer game or something more specific, I don't know.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here´s what my Russian and Czech skills produce:

Dear Santa Claus,
Thank you for the response that you sent us last year. My mother and I really enjoyed reading it. How are you? Do you have a lot to do? Just like last year, I like playing the synthesizer, and I take karate lessons. I already have a blue belt, and I can already play some Christmas songs on the synthesizor. For Christmas I would very much like for you to bring me a game called World-Wide Construction-Structures. With warm greetings, Ozren (that´s me!) and my Mommie Vesna.

I´m pretty sure it´s correct, but I have no idea what world-wide construction/structures could be. I just made up the name based on the Croatian.

And apparently you answered little Ozran´s last year´s letter...

Diana

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
Ok, so I'm translating it from Croatian to Russian to English using a Serbian dictionary. Basically, he wants a synthesizer and a Karate uniform (Blue Belt). I'll puzzle out the details of the synthesizer later.

pinqy

Those he has, he now wants World Wide Construction!
Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:

As far as I know, "igračku Svemirske konstrukcije" means "game space construction" - though if this is a computer game or something more specific, I don't know.

Maybe soemthing like Sims?

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It might not be a video game, but something like Lego or K'Nex.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More research about the thing he wants to get:

According to EUdict, svemir can mean world, space, cosmos, or universe.

As soon as you make it an adjective (svemirska), you only get space-related words.

I give up.

Diana

Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think "game space construction" means he wants a trip to the international space station. [lol]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cat Grey:
Doug 4.7: I'll probably send back two copies. One will be in English, and the other will be babelfished (which will probably make it indecipherable, rather than Croatian, but what the heck).

I'll try to help you out. My buddy's wife is Croatian, and I'll see if she can do up a quick reply.

I'll let you know.

Cheers

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cat Grey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Cat Grey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Unusual Elfin Lights:
I'll try to help you out. My buddy's wife is Croatian, and I'll see if she can do up a quick reply.

That would be great! Thanks!

Also, thanks to everyone who helped with the translation. And... Hackerbarbie! Haven't seen you around in ages!

I'm guessing that whatever letter Ozren got from Santa last year wasn't from us. If it was, he must have asked for it in English. ::chuckles::

Cat "Thanks again" Grey

--------------------

Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I passed this to a Czech friend who responded:
quote:
Croatian and Czech are very similar, but there are also many differences, so I apologise in advance for the many errors.

Basically he is moaning that his mother doesn't understand what he wants.
She is making, or buying(?) an outfit for karate and it's several sizes too big, or it's for the wrong discipline.
While she is happy with the result, he is definately not.
No pleasing some people.

The toy he wants is a construction kit for kids up to 10 years old.
As to the type, I'm not sure (can't translate "svemirske")
Hope this helps.

May not be helpful or correct but I thought it was an interesting compared to what others were coming up with.

Then I put "svemirske" in Google Images. Clearly it relates to space exploration. But I suck at languages and that's all I can contribute.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the Croatian response from my buddy's wife:
quote:

Ho Ho Ho dragi Ozrene!!!
Hvala ti puno na pismu, veoma me je obradovalo i razveselilo... Evo, moji pomocnici ovdje vrijedno rade i skupljaju pisma i zelje djecaka i djevojcica cijelog svijeta... A ja ne mogu docekati da se spremim sa svojim saonicama i jelenovima na daleki i radosni put oko svijeta – da obradujem malisane poput tebe...
Cuo sam da si bio jako dobar ove godine i poslusan svojim roditeljima... Njima prenesi puno pozdrava takodje…A za tebe, od deda Mraza, stize mnogo lijepih iznenadjenja…
Jedno od tih ce mozda biti I tvoja posebna zelja, vidjecemo, necu ti puno otkriti, jer onda ne bi bilo iznenadjenje!
Voli te puno Deda Mraz I samo nastavi biti tako fin i dobar decko! Ho Ho Ho!

The English Translation

quote:
Ho Ho Ho dear Ozren!!!
Thank you very much for your letter, it made me very happy… My helpers are working hard here collecting letters and wishes of the boys and girls from all over the world…and I can’t wait to get on my sleigh with my reindeer for a trip around the world – to make children like you happy…
I have heard that you have been a very good boy this year for your parents…send my regards to them too… And, Santa has many nice surprises for you… one of them may be your special wish too, we shall see, I am not going to reveal much, because it won’t be a surprise then!
Lots of love from Santa Clause and continue being such a good boy! Ho Ho Ho!

I hope this helps!

Ho Ho Ho [Smile]

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages