snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » What would you do? Regarding old Appliances

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What would you do? Regarding old Appliances
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 500 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Long story short:

We were given a stand up freezer when DH's grandma passed away. The thing was completely frosted up inside so we cleaned it out, and now here it is sitting in our garage. The freezer is at least 40 years old. Because of it's age, and the wiring of our house, I'm thinking two things. One is the safety and efficiency of the freezer. Two is if we can't even run our vacuum cleaner without blowing a fuse, how can we run a full-sized freezer?

Any thoughts?

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MG123
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MG123         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
mrs. hi-c

That freezer is way too old to mess with. It may run another 40 years, but it may not. I wouldn't risk filling it with hundreds of dollars of food, only to have it go out one day, unnoticed.
As far as electrical capacity, they draw very little current. A modern one can be purchased for a few hundred bucks, depending of course on size and features. I you indeed can't "run a vacuum without blowing a fuse" I would consult an electrician about adding circuits or additional service to your home.

Hope this helps.

MG123

Posts: 8 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks- MG123

We have consulted an electrician about how the house was set up. Almost the entire house--living room, bathroom, and 2 of the 3 bedrooms are on one switch. To fix that would cost more than what we can afford at the moment, but is something we're saving up for.

My main concern is what if this thing is a fire hazard in disguise? It looks okay from the outside, the wire isn't frayed--but we can't see what's inside. DH thinks I'm paranoid, but I really don't want to see our house burn because this thing wasn't safe.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My gut instinct is that this thing is a "white elephant" that is worse than useless. As MG pointed out, would you trust it with a quantity of food more valuble than the freezer itself? It's also likely to be unserviceable, and I suspect if you examine its operating costs in electricity over time, it would more expensive than buying a modern, more efficient freezer.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if you're that concerned about it, it's not worth the stress.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While the freezer is probably fine, the chances that the compressor is going to draw a massive load on the already-overdrawn circuit are pretty good.

If you want to get rid of it, many municipalities have a large-item trash pickup that includes appliances. Also, check and see if there is a Freecycle group for your community; somebody may be able to make use of it.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it old enough to have a locking door? If so, you need to disable that lock ASAP.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You could gut out the electrical stuff, take the door off, fill it with dirt and make it a planter. [Big Grin]

In this town, not only have I seen old gas grills (painted white, made into a planter and two shelves for potted plants), there's a few houses with old toilets and bathtubs- some turned on their sides, of course- wheelbarrows and wagons on their sides with flowers "spilling out".

Never mind- I got it: [fish]

[lol]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
Is it old enough to have a locking door? If so, you need to disable that lock ASAP.

Even if it doesn't have a locking door, it could still be a hazard. Some kids might panic or not have enough strength to open a magnetic door.

Tape or strap the door(s) shut or remove the door(s) altogether.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be wrong here but you may need to organise special disposal, as I imagine a freezer of that age would still use a CFC based coolant. I'm not sure of the laws in the US, but I know that European law requires decomissioning.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noftessa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noftessa   E-mail noftessa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that this means it will happen to you, but it was an old (27 years old at the time) freezer that caused a garage fire and almost burned down our house when I was about 15.

Thank goodness the first thing that the freezer burned was a hole in the water heater hoses - that helped keep the fire down for a bit. And the continuous running of the water trying to refill the water heater tank was what woke my dad up so that he could get us all out of the house.

If you are worried about it, it isn't worth it.

--------------------
Dude, do we want to discuss why I was just hit in the head with a thumb?

Posts: 833 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to throw it away, contact your town's sanitation service and see what their procedure is. If you want to save it for sentimental reasons, take off the door and use the freezer either as extra shelving in the garage or basement or some sort of artistic planter/knickknack/storage whatever. If you have kids, you could keep it in the garage and use it for yard toy storage. Let the kids paint the outside. You could use it to store gardening supplies. Just be sure to TAKE OFF the door.

I have an old kind of funky aqua refrigerator in my basement. The door is removed, and I keep extra cat food and some bottled water there, as well as a few other items.

Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages