snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Are you handy around the house?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are you handy around the house?
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't wanna appropriate a whole thread for this, so anyone else feel free to hijack- I can do some decorating stuff so maybe I can help someone else.

My bathtub and sink simulataneously stopped draining efficiently. The bathtub doesn't drain when one showers, and it's pretty icky. I don't know how to fix it. Is it necessary to involve a pro?

Again, anyone else with a DIY question, ask away. [Smile]

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a clog. How's that for handy? If you don't have a pipe snake, maybe try some drain cleaer (carefully! They're very caustic).

ETA: be careful with a pipe snake too...I tore my hand open with one once, but that was on the kitchen sink...

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how to fix a bathtub drain, but sink pipes are quite easy to unscrew and clean. Just remember to shut off the water first.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, there's probably some crap in the drain. The best way to clean it out is to take the pipe off and wash it out, but if that isn't possible, drain cleaner works.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have a wee plunger near our shower. Three girls with long-ish hair clog up the drain quite regularly. We have to plunge at ours at least once a week. Its icky, but it works.

I agree, the drain cleaner is caustic.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At my Mum's we had that proble all the time, both of us had nid back length hair and growing. We bought a cheap little metal sieve sort of thing that sat in the plug hold and caught the hair but let the water through. I think they are about $2, but definatly under $5. We got ours from the supermarket, but i'm sure plenty of places sell them. Just remove and empty after showering. Saves plunging and a great deal of clogging.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FrogFeathers:
We have a wee plunger near our shower. Three girls with long-ish hair clog up the drain quite regularly. We have to plunge at ours at least once a week. Its icky, but it works.

I agree, the drain cleaner is caustic.

Funny, we keep the "wee" plunger by the toilet...
[fish] I deserve it.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol]

I spend too much time on my friend's Scottish message board. And yes, you do deserve it.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ange84:
At my Mum's we had that proble all the time, both of us had nid back length hair and growing. We bought a cheap little metal sieve sort of thing that sat in the plug hold and caught the hair but let the water through. I think they are about $2, but definatly under $5. We got ours from the supermarket, but i'm sure plenty of places sell them. Just remove and empty after showering. Saves plunging and a great deal of clogging.

We have one of these in the shower -- it's very necessary since the Kitten and I both have quite long hair. And since cat hair is always being tracked everywhere, including the bathtub, it helps with that as well.

Mine's rubber/plastic. $1.99 at the local hardware store.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a drain cleaner (I think it's Liquid Plumber brand, but I can't remember for sure) that's made specifically for this type of clogged drain. It has two compartments and is kind of a bronze color bottle. You dump it in, wait about a half-hour IIRC and then run hot water through the drain for a few minutes. It works like a charm for us. The way the drains are set up in this house, they don't drain well and there's no easy way to take the stoppers up to pull stuff out (I've never seen this design before, it's the weirdest thing I've ever seen). Since we're renting, replacing them all is not an option, so this drain cleaner gets used about twice a year and cleans things out beautifully.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would definitely try either plunging or using a drain cleaner before calling out the plumber.

The last place we moved into had a drainage problem that was isolated to the shower. Pouring a heap of cleaner into the pipe fixed the issue pretty quickly. The most recent place had a drainage problem everywhere... which suggested a block further down the line. We tried drain cleaner but it didn't work so a plumber was called in to check it out. Thankfully it wasn't tree roots or anything like that (not that the $$$ would have been an issue as the property owner was paying for it).

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our blockage unfortunately is tree roots, but then the cost of getting the plumber in every 18 months or so to clean it out is way less than what we have been quoted to dig up most of our front (including the driveway) to replace the pipes. So far we also can't bear to get rid of the offending tree

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eh, getting rid of the tree doesn't always help either. The house we rent right now had a bush near the drain pipe and it's been gone, as far as we can tell for years before we moved in, but the roots still grow into the pipes. The property managment sends Rotorooter out twice a year to make sure we don't come home to the mess I found two years ago.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blucanary:
Eh, getting rid of the tree doesn't always help either. The house we rent right now had a bush near the drain pipe and it's been gone, as far as we can tell for years before we moved in, but the roots still grow into the pipes. The property managment sends Rotorooter out twice a year to make sure we don't come home to the mess I found two years ago.

Try RootX.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For your bathtub, it might be an easy fix.

The place where the water is supposed to flow, there might be a stopper there that you can probably put up or down depending on if you want the water to drain (like when taking a shower) or not (like when taking a bath). The top, rounded part of stopper may twist off (righty tighty, lefty loosy). If you can twist it off and pull the stopper out, you might see a lot of hair and general gunk that you can clean out. I have to do this to my bathtup every so often. I wear gloves and usually get the crap out with my fingers or something smaller.

For your sink, you can remove the elbow underneath the sink. It's not as hard as you might think. You just need the right tool to loosen it. Just be careful - water and gross stuff will go everywhere if you're not careful.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Go to a local hardware store and look in the section that sells drain/piping snakes. There should be a CHEAP plastic/nylon thing that looks like a zip-starter for a kids toy. They run about 24" long and have teeth on them.

Just poke it down the drain as far as it can go, then pull gently back. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I got mine at Lowes and it cost about $2.00.

Good luck!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be a lot handier around the house if I had tools and access to the breaker box.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages