snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Friday Booze Thread and Tequila Question (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Friday Booze Thread and Tequila Question
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings all. Friday is upon us (well, most of us) and as it's my birthday weekend I shall be celebrating in a mannar befitting my Countrymen and I shall be getting hammered on various fermented vegetable products. Hurrah!

My question is this - I picked up a bottle of Patron Tequila in NYC last week and I don't have a clue what to do with it. My natural instincts are to get the salt and limes out and lick it, chuck it and suck it, but this beverage seems to suggest savouring on a more Scotch-like level.

Has anybody quaffed any of this stuff before? The huge billboard ads draped over the buildings in NYC seemed to suggest sipping the stuff with ice and a slice but the thought of that makes me shiver - I love tequila, but for the effect, not the taste.

Any advice would be appreciated - and while you're all at it, why not tell me what the weekend has in store for you?

Be you a boozehound or not, you all have a good one [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A margarita? You will need to ship in some triple sec as well though.

Oh and have a good birthday! [Smile]

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Birthday!

I have no suggestions on the tequila front, I tend to drink tequila in a very unrefined way.

I am utterly and completely skint, so this weekend I will be watching DVDs at home and other wholesome things like walking my dog. [Frown]

Have a drink for me [Wink]

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I drink tequila straight from the bottle - no lime, no ice, no chaser. Most people can't handle this method for some reason. [Wink]

My weekend currently consists of writing two papers for school and trying not to freeze my ass off. Yes, I live in Florida, and it's currently 35F outside.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Berry Well
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Berry Well     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Tequila drink ideas

Have fun and party hard! YAY!

--------------------
And if she says come inside I'll come inside for her.
If she says give it all I'll give everything to her.
I am justified. I am purified. I am sanctified. Inside you

Posts: 695 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan The Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan The Man   E-mail Stan The Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're gonna make margarita's, use the cheap stuff and save the Patron. I'd drink it straight from the bottle with a few friends, but that's just me.

--------------------
"A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead" - Stan Laurel

Posts: 249 | From: Dallas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
My weekend currently consists of writing two papers for school and trying not to freeze my ass off. Yes, I live in Florida, and it's currently 35F outside.

It's childish and petty of me, but I must say: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

(Sorry)

My weekend won't feature too much tequila, unfortunately. Besides getting my place ready for the Toronto meet next weekend, and my usual trip to the gym, I have a friend's Christmas party tomorrow, followed by a 7:00 showing of Aladdin -- with Bret "The Hitman" Hart in a starring role.

Now that should be fun!

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't offer any advice on the Tequila front either, but as a beer drinker, I was recently introduced to Desperados the mix of lager and a small amount of Tequila

I hope you have an enjoyable birthday, Jay Tea.

I'm going to a 'dual' 50th birthday bash tomorrow night, in the middle of nowhere in the Co. Wicklow hills. With DW on driving duty this weekend (for a change) I'm planning on having quite a few.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitten
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Kitten   E-mail Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm...my personal favorite Long Island Iced Tea

Of course you'll need a few more things to mix in your Tequila but if you got it in New York...the Long Island just makes sense! [Big Grin]

As for me...pretty quiet weekend at home. I have two children in the military who are coming home next weekend so it will get hectic for a couple of weeks after that! I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS!!

Posts: 34 | From: Sanford, Florida | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
My question is this - I picked up a bottle of Patron Tequila in NYC last week and I don't have a clue what to do with it. My natural instincts are to get the salt and limes out and lick it, chuck it and suck it, but this beverage seems to suggest savouring on a more Scotch-like level.

Has anybody quaffed any of this stuff before? The huge billboard ads draped over the buildings in NYC seemed to suggest sipping the stuff with ice and a slice but the thought of that makes me shiver - I love tequila, but for the effect, not the taste.

There are indeed certain tequilas out there that are VERY worthy of slow-sipping with no salt or lime (El Jimador Anejo is a fine beverage, if you ever get the chance).

In fact, most of the "Anejo" class of tequilas are sip-worthy. If your Patron is Patron Anejo, take a little time with the first shot to savor the flavor. After that, go nuts.

If you have Patron Resposado or Patron Silver...grab the salt and the lime. A chaser of bloody mary mix or V-8 actually goes well with tequila (if you're not a fan of the tequila aftertaste).

If you're feeling a bit adventurous, try a shot of tequila with tabasco sauce in it (called a "Mexican Missle").

If you will be in the company of the fairer sex...tequila body shots make for a fun evening.

If you like mixed drinks, margaritas are always fun (and making a margarita using champagne or sparkling white wine, called a "Chamarita", will insure that you remember little the next day). Or you could try a tequila sunrise: tequila with orange juice over ice, drizzled with grenadine.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hypno Toad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many Happy Returns. Have a great time.

--------------------
A Freudian slip occurs when you say one thing while thinking amother - Cliff Claven

Formally Random Dan

Posts: 184 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I drink tequila straight from the bottle - no lime, no ice, no chaser.

I'll have to pop by if i'm ever in your neighbourhood [Wink]

Thanks for the suggestions folks, and the good wishes - what's that tequila beer like jw?

The tequila is the 'silver' stuff Methuselah, and it cost as much as a good single malt, which is why I was wondering about the general fate of the stuff.

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd take the tequila, give it to my mom so she can make herself a margarita, then go out and buy a bottle of Jack.

In a perfect world, I'd go buy a bottle of Charteuse, but it's not to be found in Ohio anymore. (If any Snopesters can find yellow or green Chartreuse in their areas, PM me, Please!)

But this weekend is Office Christmas party #2, where a Gin and Tonic or two may happen. Sunday is mom's birthday and I got her a nice bottle of Ice Wine for us to try.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by Tzarina:

In a perfect world, I'd go buy a bottle of Charteuse, but it's not to be found in Ohio anymore. (If any Snopesters can find yellow or green Chartreuse in their areas, PM me, Please!)

Oh ugh! I can't stand Chartreuse [lol] Each to their own eh? I once came home from a trade show with a case of the green stuff and tried so hard to get into it (it was after all a case of free booze first and foremost!) but failed. Sadly for you this was a few years ago now [Wink]

--------------------

UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As Methuselah said, "silver" is one of the "lower grades" of tequila. However, since you've got an excellent brand of tequila, it might be akin to a higher grade of, say, Jose Cuervo (I don't actually know, I like Don Julio - never had Patron).

A website devoted to alcohol rankings lists Patron Reposado as its #2 best tequila, so I'd say you're in good hands there.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanReindeer:
As Methuselah said, "silver" is one of the "lower grades" of tequila. However, since you've got an excellent brand of tequila, it might be akin to a higher grade of, say, Jose Cuervo (I don't actually know, I like Don Julio - never had Patron).

Patron Silver is definitely better than Jose Cuervo. I think it's better that Cuervo 1800, as well. But, then again, I've always that Cuervo was crap.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/home_feat_10things_tequilacocktails.asp

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not considered gauche or a waste to put high-quality silver tequila in a mixed drink or to shoot it, at least not where I come from.

This is also my birthday weekend. Tonight the boy and I will be going out for dinner at a fancy vegan restaurant in SF, then to one of our favorite bars for an evening of hard drinking with all of our friends.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
quote:
Originally posted by Tzarina:

Oh ugh! I can't stand Chartreuse [lol] Each to their own eh? I once came home from a trade show with a case of the green stuff and tried so hard to get into it (it was after all a case of free booze first and foremost!) but failed. Sadly for you this was a few years ago now [Wink]
I know only a handful of people who actually like it. I read about it, had to taste it, and fell in love with it. It's something I used to keep a bottle of in the freezer for those days when you just need to have a stiff drink after a horrid day. Now, alas there is nothing in the house for that.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I drink tequila straight from the bottle - no lime, no ice, no chaser.

Oh my god! I think I'm in love!

Unfortunately, this personal trainer thing has me going booze free for the time being. I can pretty see why as I can't move my legs, arms, toes, fingers, and it hurts to breathe. Doing this with a hangover would be pretty tortuous.

Anyhoo, sip the anejo, shoot everything else. Patron's an alright brand, but they're kinda' like Corona beer -- great marketing with a so-so product that touted as being super premium.

Tow "19 days without cigarettes! Suck on that!" knie

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday Jay Tea and Thistle.

No suggestions on the to-kill-ya. Got sick on the stuff once and can only handle it in Margarittas in small doses.

Me, I'll be drinking Bud Light, red-necks pride. Except for when I go to a birthday party for my grandmother. She's 90 and would frown on drinking at her party. I'll have to wait until after to imbibe.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Salt, lemon and lime time- tequila! It makes me happy!

Sorry. Happy birthday! no idea how you should drink it because i've never tried it, but have fun experimenting.

Tonight I will be going to a party at the dance night my mum holds, tomorrow I shall be sleeping and then putting the christmas tree up, and maybe cinema in between, and sunday I might try to get into town to finish off christmas shopping. Urgh.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Birthday Jay Tea.

I've only ever drunk tequila with salt and lemon. They make me very very drunk, followed by very very ill later.

The only time I drink it now is if someone dares me to....

It's my work Christmas Do this evening, definately will be avoiding the tequila there [Wink]

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday weekend, guys! My birthday is coming up too and will probably involve a couple bottles of wine with my sis-in-law, as her birthday is 2 days before mine. Then again, if it stays this chilly I may be having Irish coffees and hot chocolate with liberal doses of peppermint schnapps.

I prefer my tequila in a margarita. If the tequila is high quality that just makes a better than average margarita!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Birthdays, all around!

Methuselah has the right idea about your Patrn, Jay Tea. I second the savored first, then the hammered sixths. Patrn's good stuff, pretty smooth. But do yourself a favor: never ever, but never, touch their cuckoo tequila-coffee. Absolutely nasty. And skip NYC next time around. Chicago beckons you Jay Tea. We'll guzzle martinis uptown, breakin' up the piano parties, then slink down Sout' to barrel with the brown and hustle the sticks. You and I, sir, will show those Sout' side animals how to lap.

My weekend consists of Grey Goose and Thomas Pynchon. I, ladies & gents, am in need of some saving.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of LEau DImNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tequila and tonic? Its what Annalucia drinks in Lost, I'd never though of it before, but it sounds alright.

Although I've never sampled a desperado, as suggested by jw, I have heard very good things about them, apparently best with Corona or Sol.

I'm having a bit of a saddo weekend and meeting other [Eek!] internet people at a rolling road day, will find out if I have as many bhps as I think I have.

Edit to fix terrible typos.

Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
And skip NYC next time around. Chicago beckons you Jay Tea. We'll guzzle martinis uptown, breakin' up the piano parties, then slink down Sout' to barrel with the brown and hustle the sticks. You and I, sir, will show those Sout' side animals how to lap.
Sounds good, if I had the slightest idea what you were talking about [lol]

...and I must say, 'cuckoo tequila-coffee' sounds like something I wouldn't touch with a barge pole [Wink]

--------------------

daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I lurvs tequila! [Big Grin] My drink of choice; sans training wheels.

Jay Tea, that sounds like a fantastic bday you have planned, do enjoy it and I'll raise a shot myself in your honor. [Smile]

Advice on drinking tequila: load up on real fluids first; gatoraid, etc. Make sure you eat something first and do not mix with other types of liquors like wiskey/rum, etc. Beers are ok though.

I lurvs Fridays....

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Errr, you could do this with it!

(It's a tequila matador)

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
...And skip NYC next time around. Chicago beckons you Jay Tea. We'll guzzle martinis uptown, breakin' up the piano parties, then slink down Sout' to barrel with the brown and hustle the sticks. You and I, sir, will show those Sout' side animals how to lap.

Are you casting aspersions on my city, beeyotch? Cause I will throw down. Chicago's where you have to re-fuel if you're ever unfortunate enough to have to go to LA!

:grumble: Second city :grumblegrumble:....

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww, I kid the true capital, because I love.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of LEau DImNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisyslegs:

Advice on drinking tequila: load up on real fluids first; gatoraid, etc. Make sure you eat something first and do not mix with other types of liquors like wiskey/rum, etc. Beers are ok though.

This is fairly sound advice if you're going to be consuming any alcohol, although I find it's the amount and not the combination that does me in.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what I'm talkin' bout! And I gots to show love to Chi-town, my boy Kanyeezy's reppin.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two words: Body shots.

Patron and Hornitos (I think Sauza?) are awesome for that.

Especially since it's your birthday weekend.

Animal "Just stay away from 151...." 73

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

151 is rum anyhow.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages