snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Anybody fancy a cuppa? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anybody fancy a cuppa?
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bah...

Got an exam tomorrow and coursework deadlines approaching but really can't be arsed.

anybody fancy a cuppa? the kettle's on, out of biccies I'm afraid but gonna pop out and get some in a bit.

mm.....tea.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you, Jonny! Don't worry about the snacks. I've got an Entenmann's cream cheese danish/twist thing, and I'm sure others will be along with other items.

I've got finals on Monday night in Statistics and Visual Basic.

Ahh tea.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ooh - computery goodness!

I've got an exam in object oriented design and coursework for network computing, plus more network stuff, a computer architectures exam, and coursework for operating systems & c.

hence the tea. it helps.

bourbon biccies!

--------------------

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The VB test'll be all written/multiple choice, with no hands-on programming. I can program fine, but remembering all the details and descriptions? Not so fine.

--------------------

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
I'm with you, Jonny! Don't worry about the snacks. I've got an Entenmann's cream cheese danish/twist thing, and I'm sure others will be along with other items.

I've got finals on Monday night in Statistics and Visual Basic.

Ahh tea.

Sorry I read that as Satanic Visual Basic [dunce]

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
The VB test'll be all written/multiple choice, with no hands-on programming. I can program fine, but remembering all the details and descriptions? Not so fine.

Ugh...I know that feeling all too well (I think it comes from being largely self-taught in college). give me a programming task to do and I'll do it - probably ****ing up along the way, but it'll get done, trial and error & all that. Ask me to write it out by hand, identify particular features, etc.? Nah.

I've always been firmly of the belief that programming should be assessed by coursework (ie by actually, er, PROGRAMMING) rather than exams that seem to have expected you to have inhaled the entire contents of the language spec. (in fairness, several of my lecturers acknowledge this and plan their courses accordingly)

- Jonathan

--------------------

AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am with you, as long as I can have a cuppa Joe. I'll bring some donuts as well.

I have a bastard of a paper due by the 15th for which I haven't finished the reading. Divine Revelation to John the Evangelist in the Commentaries on John of Bonaventure, Albertus Magnus, and Thomas Aquinas, if anyone's interested.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm way old and out of school, but I'll bring the hot cocoa and some home made cakes, if no one minds. I've got a dental surgery appointment in a few hours, and I'm a bit stressed about it.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just made some molasses spice cookies, can I join. Please no flinging them or jokes about mole asses. [Wink] I'm all done with studying and tests, thank goodness, but I do have a ton of laundry waiting to be done. I'd really rather have a cup of tea.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad i'm out of the whole examination loop, I do 'training courses' now, which don't involve crap like this!

Is the pot fresh?

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No exams for me... I still haven't worked up enough energy for grad school. I am facing work piled up from my sick day, on top of my usual unending stack of work. {sigh}

I'll bring some eggnog to either drink or put in coffee (mmm good) + some rum balls (made with Irish Cream this year).

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GiftHunter
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiftHunter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got to finish a research proposal I have to finish for today, a short (3-4pg) philosophy paper due Friday that I haven't really done the reading for aaaaand a 40 page paper due before Christmas that I haven't quite gotten the research done for. I hate my life.

I can make some Tea, Earl Grey, hot, if anybody's interested though.

--------------------
There are two constants in life: there is no god but God and this too shall pass. Everything else, including death and taxes, is negotiable.

Posts: 108 | From: Peterborough, Ontario | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
Is the pot fresh?

*packs pipe* bit dry, but it's all good. pass it to the left...

oh, wait....

--------------------

Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny T:
*packs pipe* bit dry, but it's all good. pass it to the left...

oh, wait....

Puff, puff, pass. Don't NFBSK up rotation!

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pick me up some Lady Watkins...white chocolate amaretto preferrably.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll join in...I don't drink tea or coffee, but some nice cranberry juice would be perfect. I've got a test on the 11th covering the entire semester, and I've only read about 3/4 of the chapters, and 1/2 of the cases.

Oh, and did I mention that all the presents for my family have to shipped to CO, MA, SC, and FL by Saturday to make sure they'll get there in time?

Yeah, final vs. packing. It's wonderful.

Oh, and I brought Whoopie Pies! Think Oreos that are about the size of your palm, and soft and chewy, not crunchy.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got an important meeting tomorrow morning about some new work my company is taking on. Could do with a cuppa.
quote:
Originally posted by GiftHunter:
I can make some Tea, Earl Grey, hot, if anybody's interested though.

Ooh, yes please. No milk, but a slice of lemon if you have it. Thanks. Oh, I could rustle up some custard creams if anyone likes them.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
creative gal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creative gal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I might join you all for a cuppa and some stollen bites, or maybe something a bit stronger. I've got a long day at work tomorrow and my manager seems to be charging me with the most menial, mind numbingly boring tedious jobs at the moment, and it's stressing me out. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong at the tills,which is what I love working, or if I'm just the muggins about at the time.

--------------------
Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down..

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh, I can relate, completely. I have a final paper and a final exam in Data Communication (fancy name for "Network mumbo jumbo") due by the 10th, and I still need to study for my Investing final as well as finish (well, OK, start) all my extra credit work that's due on the 13th, as well.

I still haven't decided between VB and Java, though, so I'm putting that class off until next Fall.

Thanks for the tea and cookies, by the way, yum! **nudge nudge** 'ere, passiton, I think it's almost dust...

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll take a hot toddie, work was hell today and i don't wanna go back tomorrow. It's been a slow week and i have nothing to do as well as i wanted to get off early today but couldn't and ther'll be no chance until after christmas for me to use some of my hours from over time which i will lose because i have gone 2 hours over the limit my office sets. I have some scones with jam and cream as a contribution for food.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Darjeeling if you've got any. Otherwise PG Tips will be fine.

I've got a plentiful supply of Penguin biscuits and Oreo cookies.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I should be studying now that my courses have finished. Instead I'm making a Stiff Little Fingers CD for a friend and planning a shopping trip into town. Anything other than work, really, so I'll have some tea.

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've got a plentiful supply of Penguin biscuits and Oreo cookies
It's a sad state of affairs the the once mighty Penguin can now be classed as the same as an Oreo - once there would have been no competion.

I had some nice minty Oreos in the US last week, but could they hold a candle to a Viscount? Alas, no, and alas for the Viscount for like Penguins, they are not what they were.

--------------------

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It's a sad state of affairs the the once mighty Penguin can now be classed as the same as an Oreo - once there would have been no competion.

I had some nice minty Oreos in the US last week, but could they hold a candle to a Viscount? Alas, no, and alas for the Viscount for like Penguins, they are not what they were.

What about Tunnocks teacakes?

If I could get hold of Viscounts, I'd have them.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonny T, do you have any cupboards that need cleaning out?

I did Nanowrimo last month. Even my Grandma couldn't fault my cupboards now. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

quote:
Originally posted by ladyknight:
Oh, and I brought Whoopie Pies! Think Oreos that are about the size of your palm, and soft and chewy, not crunchy.

That sounds like a Moon Pie. Is it marshmallowey in the middle?

--------------------

Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
quote:
quote:
It's a sad state of affairs the the once mighty Penguin can now be classed as the same as an Oreo - once there would have been no competition.

What about Tunnocks teacakes?

If I could get hold of Viscounts, I'd have them.

Too sweet/unctuous but there's little logic here since you'd have to pry a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer from my cold dead fingers [lol]

Talking of things mallowy - I used to love Wagonwheels but at some point they just went off the trail and lost their goodness.

--------------------

Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alas, no, and alas for the Viscount for like Penguins, they are not what they were.

How are Penguins different now than they were in the past? I love them as they are now, and I shudder to think what they tasted like if they were better previously.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
quote:
Alas, no, and alas for the Viscount for like Penguins, they are not what they were.

How are Penguins different now than they were in the past? I love them as they are now, and I shudder to think what they tasted like if they were better previously.
Penguins were much better back in the day. The biscuit was much better, chocolatier, more balanced and buttery too. The filling was smoother and richer and the coating a much higher quality, making a better bar as a whole.

They're still not bad (500 million sold every year in the UK) but have slipped back into the also-ran catagory of Cookies/Biscuits. Cost cutting has produced a cheaper chocolate and the biscuit is more like a cheap bourbon biscuit than the thoroughbred it once was. Penguin used to be King, but it has long since surrendered it's crown >sob< [Wink]

--------------------

Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I will take a Tunnock's caramel wafer if you've opened a packet there Jay Tea...

While I was in France I bought Mr Embra some Pimms biscuits, which are like Jaffa cakes but with a more diverse range of fillings. This time I brought him some with a chocolate mousse filling. He scoffed the lot and had no room for his dinner...

I've had my cup of Proper Tea for the day but I will have some red bush tea with vanilla, which I have recently discovered.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got some Chamomile with Lemon to add, if anyone's interested.
/slight hijack/ A thanks to the UK snopesters who insisted that tea tasted better when brewed with nearly boiling water, not microwave heated water. The difference is amazing!/end of hijack/

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ladyknight:

That sounds like a Moon Pie. Is it marshmallowey in the middle?
I don't know...I haven't ever had a Moon Pie. It's two chocolate cookies with frosting in between. You can make the filling yourself with marshmallow cream in between, but my family prefers frosting. whoopie pies

ETA: They're true chocolate cookies, not chocolate chip cookies. I'm thinking of one thing and typing another.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Ok. Those are very different. Looks yummy.
http://www.moonpie.com/

--------------------

NinthSign
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NinthSign   E-mail NinthSign   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile] I have shortbread cookies! No really, my mom sent some up with my dad and I'm willing to share. I'll pass on the tea though. It might put me to sleep and I'm supposed to be studying for my exam tomorrow that is on statistics, calculus and physics (Yep, in my program we do get exams on more than one subject...). Bah, I'm tired just thinking about all that math.

...Anyway, now would be a good time to actually go study. I'll leave the cookies [Wink] .

Posts: 149 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've still got the cocoa, but can no longer eat cookies. Something soft would be good, though.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages