snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Have yourself a very tatty Christmas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have yourself a very tatty Christmas
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else feel that it just isn't Christmas unless there is a healthy amount of tat around?

For example. My husband brought home a plaster box, containing a 3D fibre-optic street scene that snows polystyrene balls. It is bedecked with bad carvings of children in Victorian dress on toboggans. There is glitter. It plays Christmas tunes at the wrong speed in tinny tones.

I wasn't sure at first, but now it absolutely sends me into raptures. I know that it is crap and possibly hideous, but at the same time, it makes me feel all warm and festive to stare at it.

I'm not being terribly British and ironic about it, either. I'm not sneering and deliberately seeking out bad taste. It just seems that at this time of year, my tolerance for tat is very high indeed.

What it your tattiest piece of Christmas tat?

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, what's tat?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never heard the term either, but from the context, I assume it just means "corny decorations".

As for the OP, yes my family has plenty of tat around for Christmas... giant, air-filled Santas, big bows, even one of those little snowmen that plays music when you push a button, ala that Hallmark commercial. I wouldn't say that tat is necesary to get into the Christmas mood, but I certainly enjoy it.

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Sorry, what's tat?

Anything Cheap and cheerful. Or cheap and nasty, depending on your viewpoint...

I'll try and get a picture next time i'm in my local. The Thai staff eagerly decorate the place with the most awful decorations, gawd knows where they find the stuff, but they seem to like it so it's ok with me.

I'm not a Christmas person but I do quite like peeing into other offices at this time of year to check out the gaudy splendour with which the women (for it is exclusively the women) set up their work-spaces...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh sorry! I think the item described should give you a clue. Tat is anything generally accepted to be glurgy/bad taste and of poor quality.
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I thought this was going to be a tattoo thread. [lol]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beach, I think the U.S. version would be "tacky."

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago my kids pooled their money together and bought me a plushy toy reindeer that plays Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer when you squeeze a hoof. Does this count?

Yes, I squeeze the hoof regularly during the season. [lol]

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jay writes:
quote:
I'm not a Christmas person but I do quite like peeing into other offices at this time of year
I think I'd be quite offended if you came peeing into my office, regardless of what time of year it was!

[lol]

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The tattiest Christmas office I ever visited was the SOCO (Scene of Crime Officers') base at the police HQ I used to work at. There was not an edge that did not have tinsel on it. The front door itself had a plastic plaque with a light-up Virgin Mary that played Ave Maria.

These are the guys who know how to deal with a dead body that has been undiscovered for six months. They needed that tat.

Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to be careful. One man's tat is another man's lamp from the Christmas Story. For me anything that makes a recorded noise is tat. Cards, pins, anything. I absolutely hate any decoration that works on motion sensors.

I had an absolutely lovely Christmas tree one year. We were mostly broke college students. We bought a couple of cheap strings of lights, hung candy canes, strung popcorn and cranberries, and attached the red, gold, green, and silver foil Hershey kisses to ornament hooks. It was simple and pretty and if a Hershey fell off the tree, you got to eat it. While we were deciding how to top it, our third roommate went out and bought a silver plastic angel with a monofiliment halo which had red, blue, green, and yellow rotating light behind it. It was the most hideous thing I've ever had on a tree.

I'm going to break one of my own rules of tat this month when I go to my office Christmas party. I absolutely hate holiday themed sweaters, shirts, vests, and socks. But two years ago, my mom found a long sleeved black scoop neck t-shirt with a silver, gold, and burnt orange stylized Christmas tree on the front. I'm going to wear it.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea (The office piddler):

The Thai staff eagerly decorate the place with the most awful decorations...

Weird, if you google "tat" and hit "I'm feeling lucky", you'll get the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've long said that the very idea of the Christmas tree, out of cultural context, is so very tacky. How in the world would anyone otherwise justify decorating a dead tree with lights, plus tin, plastic and glass baubles?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I thought this thread was going to be about needlework.

[fish]

Me, personally - no tatty anything, ever. I like stuff extremely tasteful and high end and oooh, aaah, and begging to be photographed in designer magazines.

WHAT???? ~ yes, I'm a horrible snob. I'm a food snob, a decor snob, I'm just a snob.

~this only applies to my own house and table, though. I don't care how tatty your own house is if you like it that way.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
Jay writes:
quote:
I'm not a Christmas person but I do quite like peeing into other offices at this time of year
I think I'd be quite offended if you came peeing into my office, regardless of what time of year it was!

[lol]

Gibbie

[lol]

Excellent. And I can't even edit it as it appears there is now a time limit in which to do so...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't need to buy tat. My neighbors have all I need. Their display is perfectly framed by the front window when I sit on my sofa.

I'm very baa humbug about decorations. I've not put up more than a wreath in years. I'm contemplating getting rid of the artifical tree since it never gets used. If, If I get hit by some weird maternal sense of needing to provide a "real Christmas" for the kiddo I'll get a real tree. At least they smell nice.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all pretty tacky if you think about it. Yes, some decorations are tackier than others, but any thing that involves festooning with lights and bows (or perhaps just the word festooning) is tacky - and great fun! It makes me feel like a child getting to imagine wild color schemes for my house again.

ETA to add a word.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
creative gal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creative gal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of the stuff on offer at the shop I work at is tat.. We have a variety of singing, dancing santas, bears, and a hippie alligator, amongst other things. I like some tat, particularly glittery decorations, but there is a line, and items such as those inflatable snow globes I've seen about recently cross that line for me..

--------------------
Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down..

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I will have you know that my hiphop Santa only raps in the most tasteful manner.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll let you in on a little secret. While I'm brutally mocking tacky Christmas decorations to my friends there is a part of me that is absolutely loving it.

Don't tell anyone, I'll get kicked out of the cynical club and lose my street cred.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti Noel:
These are the guys who know how to deal with a dead body that has been undiscovered for six months. They needed that tat.

Last year the criminal justice department made the mistake of entrusting me with decorating their Christmas tree. I borrowed a roll of crime scene tape from the lab and used it like garland. Too bad I'm not working there this semester - a body outline done in spray-on snow would have been so festive!
[fish]

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I generaly find the tat annoying, an attitude I inherited from my Mum. (I have the feeling that given half the chance my Dad would love to fill the house with tat at Christmas, he just know he'd be sleeping on the street come new year if he did. Still his box would look nice and gaudy.)

However a few years ago my mum brought come candle holder of questionable taste. A brass (Well, brass coloured steel) Stick supports a glass cup wich holds a tealight. Arround this is a red shade, formed with translucent beads and touched with gold. Now in all honesty these aren't terrible and only make an appearence at christmas. However, because they contrast so much with our otherwise minimal christmas I commented to my mum that they look 'a little tacky for her' (Here is an interesting distinction, tat is the noun, tacky the adjective, for me. Tatty would imply scruffy or dogeared.) So began an injoke. I now jokingly mock them when they are put up, and express my relief when they are gone.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
Jay writes:
quote:

[lol]

Gibbie

Even worse, I initially misread "offices" as "orifices." [Eek!] I then wondered which orifice he peed in the rest of the year.

We had one of those inflatable snow globes at my work last year, with Santa and a snowman inside. It got a bit deflated as the season wore on, and it ended up looking like the snowman was servicing Santa.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing as my sense of humor can be quite juvenile at times, I would have taken pictures of it had I seen it.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to hate tacky decorations, but now I'm starting to enjoy them. I pretend detached irony and declare my taste "kitschy," but maybe I'm just fooling myself.

Last week I saw a woman wearing a lime green sweater. The cuffs looked like they were trimmed in tinsel, there was a line across the middle of the shirt with the same tinsel junk sticking out, and it had a Christmas tree with silver sequins. It was the most glorious thing I have ever seen. If I found one, I'd buy it in an instant!

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages