snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Sneaking a peek at presents

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sneaking a peek at presents
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, true confession time. I was reading this tread when I thought about my own little 'indescresions.' When I was 10 or so, I was quite good at carefully slitting the scotch tape and at least seeing what my presents were. Hell, I was playing one of the games for my Vic-20 for nearly a week before Christmas.

So, any other true cofessions out there?

Donovan 'And I never got coal' Ravenhull

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents were awful at hiding gifts. They didn't wrap them until Christmas eve, so they usually sat in the back of their closet.

I never had the guts to open them & use them before Christmas, but I remember doing a good job at acting suprised when I opened the Atari. That new dual cassette deck didn't seem as nice as it was on the box when I finally got to open it & use it.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, I'd find my presents in my parents' bedroom closet every year.

I still do this to a certain extent. I look at what I'm getting through my Amazon wishlist. I just can't help myself.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother (no really...it wasn't me) would alwys search our parents room for the list my mother would make as to who was getting what, so one year my mother used a numbers system to trip him...boy was he frustrated.

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was 9 I was left in the house alone for about 5 minutes. Somehow I just knew where to go. I took a chair into my parent's room to reach one of the five or six top cupboards, and opened the one I reckoned hadn't been seen in use lately.

There was Pink and Pretty Barbie smiling out at me. I couldn't believe she was going to be mine in a few days.

Unfortunately it totally ruined Christmas because I had the biggest punitive conscience as a kid and I just looked around at everyone enjoying watching me open my Barbie and thought, "I'm a fraud."

Barbie was a bit tainted after that.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jordashe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordashe   E-mail Jordashe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still like to know what I'm getting well in advance.
While my family has gotten better at hiding what they've gotten, since they all live far away from me, I'm more impressed that my fiance is able to hide what she's getting me as effectively as she does.
I usually was more disappointed that I was putting more effort into gifts than my family was for me. Or that they had gotten me something that I already had.

Posts: 121 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never looked, really. I mean, lately I've known what I'm getting, because it's specifically something I ask for. And when my parents (well, my mom) would do themed gift giving.

I remember when my mom got me an American Girl (TM) Kirsten doll, I assumed that the rest of my gifts would be Kirsten-related, and was right! Although, I was a bit dissapointed that I didn't get Samantha or Felicity.

My brother was the devious one. But nowadays, if I don't know what I'm getting, I'll try to sneak around finding out by gradually getting answers.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 219 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was six or eight, my family rented Mario Paint from Blockbuster during fall. A few months later, I'm looking for something in my parents' closet and I find the box to Mario Paint! "Uhhh... I thought we returned this!"

Dark "Kill the Fly" Dan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wrote this a couple years ago. Given the thread title, it seems somehow appropriate. [Smile]

Oh, I get so excited when itís Christmas
But sad that it is only once a year
Cuz there are lots of gifts and treats
And food that is the best to eat
And family so full of Christmas cheer

Yes, I get so excited when itís Christmas
But I canít always wait for Christmas day
So I sneak underneath the tree
To find the gifts that are for me
Once all the grown-up types have gone away

But somehow Dad and Mommy always get me
No matter how silent I try to be
And they say if I continue to sneak beneath the tree
Thereíll be no more Christmas for me

Well, I get so excited when itís Christmas
So much that I think Iím the only one
Who gets that when itís off limits
I may pretend that itís the pits
But really itís a hundred times more fun

I know that Santaís gifts are in the closet
Because I picked the lock a year ago
Itís fine that he has got to hide them
But I want to see inside them
As soon as we get half an inch of snow

So I wait until Mom and Dad are sleeping
But somehow, they still are onto me
And they say ďIf you persist in this childish chicanery...Ē
(Blah, blah) Then no more Christmas for me

Oh, I get so excited around Christmas
My x-ray specs are underneath my bed
Without parental supervision
Iíll strap on my new night vision
Goggles right onto my little head

Then I will fly downstairs with my jet pack
Just so I can avoid that creaky stair
But someone should tell Mom and Dad
Iím not the only one whoís bad
Cuz setting traps just isnít playing fair

Suspended in a net is how they find me
Just dangling for all the world to see
And Dad says if they need more surveillance technology
Thereíll be no more Christmas for me

Oh, I get so excited in December
Cuz I know Christmas day is coming fast
ĎNeath Dad and Mommyís eagle eye
I promise them that I will try
But I donít know how long Iím gonna last

Sometimes we hear the story about Jesus
Who got gifts of myrrh and frankincense and gold
And I smile at Dad and Mommy
Who threaten no Christmas for me
But I know they wouldnít do that to a five-year-old

So once again, I dive beneath the presents
To figure out what people got for me
And I know if I get caught again by Daddy and Mommy
Theyíll say no more Christmas
No more Christmas
No more Christmas for me!

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NinthSign

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NinthSign   E-mail NinthSign   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One year my parents bought me a futon and everyone in the house was in the surprise. They put it in the back room with the recycling, tools, etc. Everyone assumed that I wouldn't go back there I didn't have to do the recycling (my chore was folding the clothes and cleaning one of the bathrooms) and tools do not interest me. However, for some reason this was the year I decided that the back room was a good place to go and put random stuff I didnít want in my room anymore. After about a month of, ďIíll do that for you NinthSign!Ē and, ďDonít go in the backroom! Iíll get that for you,Ē I grew really suspicious because my brothers werenít usually THAT nice. So, I peeked. [Smile]
Posts: 149 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dawnshadow

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawnshadow   E-mail Dawnshadow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister was the one who usually went after the gifts; the first couple years I went and looked, then I realized that it was a lot more fun to unwrap them than to know in advance. It got to the point where I kept telling her to *not* tell me what I was going to get. She kept on telling me, anyway.... x_x
Posts: 131 | From: Newark, OH | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never wanted to go looking for the gift stash, because I never had the desire to know what *all* my presents were. But I peeked under the wrapping paper of one gift once. I don't even remember what the present was, but I do remember that it wasn't what I thought it would be-- it wasn't even an exciting gift. But, like Neffti, I felt like a liar and a fraud on Christmas pretending to be surprised, and it took away a tiny bit of the fun of Christmas.

I never peeked again, although my grandmother and I had a years-long tradition of shaking, poking, and generally trying to guess what was inside wrapped presents. It was our game to make the most incorrect guess possible-- if the gift rattled, we were likely to say, "a yellow sweater" and so on. [lol] Loved that part of Christmas.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the most popular monologues with my drama class was about a girl who peeks at her present when her mom's not home, discovers she's getting the expensive item she had been begging for, and the remorse she feels afterward. We'd discuss this monologue over and over.

I'd say there's not a Christmas-celebrating child that hasn't faced the dilemma of "to peek or not to peek". For the record, I never peeked although I did find my brother's presents once accidentally.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't a peeker, but I usualy accidently found or was told about some of my presents before Christmas. My mom would send me to get something out of her closet, forgetting that she'd hid the deluxe Spirograph set there. Or she asked me to call Sears and check on her order, and they'd tell me what had come in and what was expected in the next shipment.

My brother once unwrapped all his presents a few days before Christmas. However, he couldn't find the tape when he went to wrap things back up. He ended up using first aid tape. Kinda obvious. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always peek, and have two reasons:

1. It's more of a thrill for me to sneak around the house and find the hiding spaces and be crafty about hiding my trail. Years of finding where my parents/wife had hidden my gifts and covering my tracks has made me the best cat burglar in Upstate NY [fish]

2. It gave me time to practice what I'd say if the gifts were "unusual" "A tool chest without tools? Wow, now I have the pleasure of, umm, buying tools!" (And yes, my parents did get me this for Xmas once; I was 8 at the time.)

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't recall ever intentionally looking. I have found them by mistake on a couple rare occasions while getting other things but even then I couldn't be sure if it was for me or my Sis. I just asked Mom if I did when really little and she says that I never seemed to have an interest in peeking. I used to hide my Dad's gift right out in plain sight uncovered on the kitchen counter and he wouldn't even notice.

OTOH, my kids will try to peek every chance they can.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I only tried to find my presents once. In the back of my mom's closet was a bag full of things I knew my brother and cousins wanted, and there was the toy I wanted most- a handheld electronic pinball game. There were three of them, so I knew one was for me! I was so excited I couldn't wait until Christmas.

Christmas morning came and went, and I didn't get a pinball game! When the extended family got together in the afternoon, there were two of my cousins and my grandpa thanking my mom for the super-cool pinball games. I was so disappointed. It ruined Christmas for me, I couldn't enjoy the gifts I was given. I never peeked again.

Now I do needle Mr. S into telling me what his parents are getting me. Every year it's something awful, so I need the heads up to get over it and look surprised and happy.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember finding them once, not on purpose. My Dad had a personal art studio off to the side of the house, and I came across my Christmas stuff in the closet there. I got Lazer Tag stuff that year.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was about 8-11 I used to search out my presents. Usually my mom would have them wrapped already, but I was pretty good with carefully removing the tape and opening it enough to see what it was.

It really helped me to think of an approprtiate "oh gee, swell! Thanks!" response when it was something disappointing. If I hadn't already known that I was getting another violin play-along audio cassette one year, there would have been tears. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never peek and am very disappointed if I inadvertently discover a gift. I've always been like that. I even wrapped my own presents (the ones in the plain white boxes) because she knew I wouldn't peek on a dare. I love opening presents on Christmas morning and being surprised, no matter how big or small the gift.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never really actually peeked at the unwrapped gifts, and my parents only just hid htem in the closet anyway.
But once they were wrapped and under the tree I was always under there shaking them, sizing them up, etc., trying to get a best guess as to what they were. That, for me, was part of the best part of Christmas, since it added both mystery and anticipation. It was a fairly common thing to do in my house, not openly accepted, but everyone knew you were supposed to be doing it, you know, one of those things that you pretend to object to, but in reality do not. Like stealing a piece of hot turkey as it's being carved, or sneaking into the christmas tarts before dinner. Part of the tradition is that you pretend it is a taboo.

When mrs. callee and I got married, one year she walked suddenly into the living room and caught me investigating the gifts under the tree. She had an absolute bird! She was absolutely opposed to the practice, and believed like a zealot that I was just ruining christmas thereby. I tried to explain that my christmas would be ruined by the omission of the practice, but she wouldn't budge. So now when I investigate the gifts it is actually even more fun, since mrs. callee isn't just pretending that it's an illegal taboo, she really thinks that! Now the adrenaline is real!

Meanwhile,

the best peeking story I've heard comes from my little sister. She was a horrendous peeker, going into that closet like mad and taking the stuff out, playing the games, trying on the clothes, etc. Mom knew this and tried every new strategy to keep my sister out, but my sister always won the game. One year little sister wanted one of those GAP sweaters that were all the rage. So mom finally had an idea to beat her at her own game. Mom bought two of the sweater, one nice one, one not-so-nice one. The nice one she hid at my grandparents across town, the not so nice one she hid in her usual place in the closet. Sure enough, little sister peeked like crazy, she tried on the not-so-nice sweater, noticed how ugly it was, had tried desperately to find some way to wear it that owuld look better, had complained to all her friends about what a tragic disappointment this was, to get the gap sweater but get an ugly one! She had gone through all 5 stages of grief I am sure, so the look of shock and surprise on christmas morning when she opened the nice one, safely retrieved late the night before from grandparents, was worth twice its weight in gold! Forgetting herself, little sister exclaimed "OMG THAT'S NOT THE UGLY ONE FROM THE CLOSET!!!!" and her peeking crimes were laid bare for all to see!

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One year, I decided to try peeking. So I managed to carefully lift the tape on the wrapping paper and peek inside. But almost every present I had was either practical (underwear) or a computer game. Of course, at the time, we didn't have a computer.

My mom had been so adamant that no computer would ever be allowed in our house, and to my wee little mind, they were so hideously expensive we could never afford one. So I agonized and worked up in my head the belief that I must have been really bad, so I was being given gifts I could never use.

Of course, on Christmas eve, Santa left us a bunch of big boxes that turned out to be... a computer. (A nice one for the time.) I was so relieved and happy I started to cry, and then I confessed my terrible misdeeds. Everyone laughed... but after that year, all of my presents were double-wrapped with all the edges taped down.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never peeked at my presents, partly because I was always convinced I'd be found out if I tried.

However, I thought it was perfectly fair to examine the shape and weight of the presents and make guesses - which were never correct except for in the case of books.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never peeked as a child, but one year a few days before Christmas I decided that what I would really like was Fistfaces. But when I told my mother what I'd like, she shouted at me and threatened that I wouldn't get anything at all, which was completely mystifying--it didn't seem like such a terrible thing to ask for.

I discovered later that my grandparents had sent it to me, it had been stored in my mother's closet, and she'd assumed that I'd been peeking.

Turns out that it's a toy with limited use value, but I still like to "move my fingers for lots of fun and action."

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sara, from age 14 on it was just Dad and I living at home. I don't know how many times Dad would have me wrap something that was open and I could see what it was under the guise that it was for my Sis. Or take me Christmas shopping to "help pick something for Sis" then come home and wrap said gift only to find out that it was for me! And the reason it worked is because I could truly never be sure if it was for me or not. So I just took the stance that it was for Sis every time just to play it safe. Or I would see something I liked and make a comment about it. Dad would say "Oh, I like that too. Maybe I will get me one." Only to find it under the tree for me. Once again, it worked because sometimes he did keep it for himself or hold it the 4 months until my birthday. And he still does this to this day!

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by callee:
I never really actually peeked at the unwrapped gifts, and my parents only just hid htem in the closet anyway.
But once they were wrapped and under the tree I was always under there shaking them, sizing them up, etc., trying to get a best guess as to what they were. That, for me, was part of the best part of Christmas, since it added both mystery and anticipation. It was a fairly common thing to do in my house, not openly accepted, but everyone knew you were supposed to be doing it, you know, one of those things that you pretend to object to, but in reality do not. Like stealing a piece of hot turkey as it's being carved, or sneaking into the christmas tarts before dinner. Part of the tradition is that you pretend it is a taboo.

I love the way you described this! I forgot about the thrill of shaking the wrapped presents and trying to figure out what they are. My parents would place presents that came in the mail under the tree, but the things from them did not go under the tree until after we went to bed on Christmas Eve. My brother and I spent hours secretly rattling the box from Grandma, trying to figure out what she sent. Then Christmas morning there would be piles of presents under the tree, we couldn't even see the presents we'd been messing with, and it all felt so magical.

My kids are too young for us to leaved presents out yet-- my two year old can't wait 5 minutes for me to make her lunch-- but I look forward to when I can leave a few out and then "scold" them for rattling the boxes.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I accidently found my N64. My mum was a bit stupid for leaving it in the cupboard with the wrapping paper.

My brother is far smarter than I am.

My parents keep all the receipts together so they can chekc them against credit card statements. My brother then had the bright idea of going through them to see what had been purchased. Given that we normally give the family clothes, it was kinda easy to spot what was his.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents were good. My sister and I never found our presents beforehand. I think one year I got a peek at one, and my mom brushed it off as being for a cousin.

I do know at least two things that I am getting this year because my mom doesn't not "speak videogame" and she buys for my grandmothers. Although one of them she identified as a "Chocobo game." There's hope for her yet. [Smile]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ertceps
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ertceps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid fairly early on I knew all I ever wanted for Christmas was books...if I got most toys I wouldn't play with them so it was not that hard to convince the parents to go along with this idea

So for years just before Christmas my Mom when she went shopping to a big city(we lived out in the boondocks) she'd give me $100 and drop me off at a bookstore for the day...I'd pick out what I wanted and we both would be happy

Except what she didn't know was on those days I would pull a $100 of books from my collection and put them in the trunk before we left and exchange them with the books we just bought for presents so once at home I could read all my new books right away

This just hurt me of course because on Christmas when everyone got their presents I was left with books I had long since read...still every year I couldn't help myself from doing it again and again

A few years before mt getting mostly books each year I wanted more than anything a BB gun(yup I was just like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story")...there was no real reason I had never gotten one before then because as a farm kid I had access to shotguns, deer rifles, and .22s anytime I wanted but I still lusted for a BB gun of my very own

So one day I discovered where the presents were hidden(in the attic under a pile of boxes of old clothes)...I saw a package that was long and slim and looked just right to hold an air rifle so I picked at the tape on one side just enough to see the manufacturer's name and it was "Daisy"(this is the name of a big maker of BB guns if you didn't know)

I was more happy than any kid has a right to be and couldn't wait for Christmas to come...I was the perfect child for the next couple of weeks in anticipation

The day comes and I open everything else except that long slim box so it will be the last present to be opened(just to torture myself)...I slowly open one side to see what I had already known but when I pulled the whole box from the paper I saw something I hadn't noticed during my spying

Yes it was an air rifle but it was really an AIR rifle...it shot puffs of AIR not BBs...you cock it and pull the trigger it would shoot air at a plastic target and if you hit the target it would tip over from up to 20 feet away...argh!

I think the hardest thing I ever had to do as a little kid was to pretend I liked that present and not go off and pout about it thus ruining the day for everyone

Posts: 100 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One year I begged, begged, begged for a bicycle. When we went down the stairs Christmas morning, there stood a bike......for my brother. I don't think he even asked for one. And from day one I was told I wasn't allowed to ride it because I was a girl and would "hurt" myself. They couldn't -- wouldn't? -- even tell me how I was going to "hurt" myself. I was devestated but, unlike ertceps, I was unable to pretend I wasn't.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year we went shopping at Wal-Mart and I spotted three collector's editon Barbies I wanted. They were Batgirl, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn. When I was out of sight my husband bought them for me.

He hid them in our room between the nightstand and our bed. I found them by accident when i cleaned the room. I never told him and I did my best to act surprised. I don't think he ever found out.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did once, but ended up so disappointed at not being suprised on Christmas morning, that I never have done it since. I want it to be a suprise.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saluki Worship
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saluki Worship     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never sneaked a peek at presents myself, since I prefer to wait until Christmas, and let the suspense build (Plus the guilt would kill me!). But my two brothers had fun when they were kids...they snuck into my parent's bedroom and took a peek at their new Sega. And they didn't stop there. They took it out of the box, plugged it into the tv, and played the game Alex Kidd (I think they might have even finished it that night!). Afterwards, they carefully wrapped it back up, and put it back in the wardrobe. My parents were clueless [Razz]

It wasn't until recently that the two of them fessed up about this to our mum. She was stunned! [lol]

Posts: 96 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages