snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Weird, weird coincidences (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Weird, weird coincidences
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every now and then, I will experience an odd coincidence that leaves me wondering, briefly, if I'm living in a solisistic universe or something. Frequently this will consist of hearing a reference to something or someone that I've never heard of before, or haven't heard of in a long time -- and then hearing another, apparently unconnected, reference to it shortly afterwards.

Sometimes, of course, there probably is a causal connection that isn't apparent -- but today's was a doozy, and I surely can't see how there could be any connection.

I was listening to a morning FM radio comedy show ( Dave, Shelly and Chainsaw). They happened to have on the phone with them at one point a woman whose name I don't recall, who apparently does the weather on a local Fox affiliate. They asked her about places she'd worked in the past. She's from Virginia and worked at a few stations there -- one of which, she mentioned, was on the Delmarva Peninsula, a section of land that has parts of three states (Deleware, Maryland, and Virginia; hence the name) on it.

No more than 90 minutes later -- perhaps more like an hour -- I turned on the Al Franken Show, on the local Air America affiliate. They were in the midst of discussing some recent remarks by Senator Joe Biden:

quote:
Delaware, he noted, was a “slave state that fought beside the North. That’s only because we couldn’t figure out how to get to the South. There were a couple of states in the way.”
Some people have apparently taken some umbrage at the remark, which was clearly, in context, a joke; Franken said that he thought it was pretty funny, but also pointed out that it's not really accurate -- all you have to do from Delaware is cross the Chesapeake river, and you're in Virginia. And then he proceded to mention.....the Delmarva peninsula.

My mind is still boggling a bit over this one. I've lived in Southern California my whole life, and haven't travelled much; I've never been east of Carlsbad, New Mexico, and have spent literally only a few weeks out of 45 years more than a loud shout from the Pacific Ocean. So it's hardly surprising I haven't heard of the Delmarva peninsula...but then to hear of it twice, not only in one day, but within 90 minutes?

Weird.

Coincidence, I'm sure...but very weird. [Smile]

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lilybet
Xboxing Day

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Lilybet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one:

I just logged in after several days to discover that the board theme had changed.

Lately, for reasons I won't really go into, XBOXes have been somewhat prominent in my mind. Really, I can't go into the reason but it's significant. It's something that's come up in conversations with friends a lot.

So I log in and discover that my new default tagline is "XBoxing Day" and I think, "Oh, that's really weird! What a coincidence! Wonder if it means anything?"

Then I open up SLC and see this new thread at the top of the board.

Ooooooooooooooh!!

--------------------
A day in the life: Human woman *** Frozen turkey

Posts: 1361 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The other day, I had read in the comics ("Sally Forth" to be exact) about something called an Advent calendar. I had never heard of these things before, but I didn't think much of it. Later that night, my co-worker mentioned something about finding Advent calendars for pets on the Internet. Twice in one night -- freaky! But at least then I had someone who could explain to me what an Advent calendar is.

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few days ago I got a catalog in the mail. I was chatting with my mom on the phone and mentioned a particularly odd item to her. A few hours later, she called to tell me a package had arrived at my parents' home addressed to me. I wasn't expecting anything, and the label indicated it was from the same company as the catalog I had gotten at my address. I happened to check my email and a friend had ordered something for me because "sometimes there is an item in the universe created for a single person" and he felt duty-bound to make sure I received it.

That item was the same one I had mentioned to my mother earlier in the day. She opened the box, and there it was.

Very weird, but hilarious. And it was indeed the perfect gift.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In our group we call that a "plate of shrimp" from the movie Repo Man.

There are times that things just weirdly collide, but others, I feel is because you now noticed something when you wouldn't have put the connection together before.

Like moving here to Lynchburg. I have never heard of the town until my hubby applied for the job here. However, in the next couple of weeks, Lynchburg ended up being in the national news several times. Normally, I would have noticed the story but not the location. Once I knew that we were moving here, it stood out much more.

Then again, I've had days when the same obscure topic has been brought up my multiple different people with absolutely no connection. But my friends are weird.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Closest thing I can think of offhand is the fact that, while I was still in college, I had mentioned to me by two (and only two) people on quite different occasions that I looked like Chelsea Clinton. Which I can't tell if I did/do or not, but hey.

So I mentioned this to my mother, and she stated that she didn't see it at all, and seemed to think they were weird, or whatever. Then shortly after that, we went out to the county fairgrounds together for some arts and crafts show or other... and were stopped by two separate people that we know, who just had to comment on the fact that I look like Chelsea Clinton. And those are the only two other people I've had tell me that - I haven't heard it since.

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, I tripped on the pavement. Moments later, I tripped again. I've never forgiven the gods for that double-team and have refused to take part in their coincidences ever since.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago Mrs L and I were sitting in the garden, and DD wanted to play a game of 'hotel'. She would take our drink orders, return with the drinks, and we would write our 'room numbers' on slips of paper we had for 'billing' purposes.

Without any collusion, or thought, we both wrote down a random number. When we looked at the slips of paper we had both written down the same number - room 46 IIRC.

On Monday, DS was playing a game. Due to a graphical glitch, it looked like the characters were having a knee-trembler. I laughed, he asked me why, then I had to explain what a knee-trembler was.

That evening we were watching Dog Borstal. One of the bad dogs would hump anything and everyone in sight. One of the trainers reviewed the footage and said "Oh look at that, he(the dog)'s got her against the wall, he's giving her a knee-trembler."

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The phrase "hole and corner" came up twice in one day, just a few days ago. First in the libretto to a musical written by someone I know, and second in a collection of stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. I'd never heard the phrase before!

(If a man is keeping a lover on the side, in addition to his marriage, he is having a "hole and corner" relationship with the mistress.)

Still, the "Delmarva" juxtaposition is a good one! That certainly would have sent me reeling!

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This one spans a few years, but i think it still qualifies.

DH and I have been married for almost 11 years. We lived in small towns about 6 miles apart, but did not meet until March of 95. Four years ago (2002), my dad began dating a woman from the town I grew up in, and a few months later, married her. During casual conversation one evening, we discovered that DH's father and my stepmother are cousins.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zabia:
Like moving here to Lynchburg.

Oh Zabia, I'm so sorry. [Wink] Hee hee - I lived there for a total of 20 years.

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
omnigeist
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for omnigeist   E-mail omnigeist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Piper, I believe an advent calender is a calender to mark events, usually they are for babies, like first words, first tooth, etc.

And back to the intended topic, I think the main part of a considence is noticing something that you didn't think was all that common before, like the change from your purchase being an important date or coming out to an even dollar, this kind of thing happens alot, just ask the cashier, or if your friend buys a new car and suddenly everyone seems to have that same car, they had it before, but you werent looking until the friend got it.

omni "just my 17 dollars and 76 cents." geist

Posts: 11 | From: Union Mills, NC | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Adelaide, I have questions for you. Would you mind me sending you a PM? I've been here less than a month and would love to pick your brain.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lunasa
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunasa   E-mail Lunasa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by omnigeist:
Piper, I believe an advent calender is a calender to mark events, usually they are for babies, like first words, first tooth, etc.

Advent is a holy season in the christian church, the period of time before christmas (about 4 weeks). The calendar is a countdown to christmas, with some religious reminders about the 'true meaning of christmas'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_Calendar

As kids we always got them with chocolates for each day from the 1st to 25th of December. Cause no holiday season is worth mentioning if it doesn't include chocolate [Smile]

Not sure what a pet advent calendar would be... do dogs need reminding about the coming of Christ? [fish]

--------------------
"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 555 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was listening to Switchfoot in my car, to the title track of the CD "The Beautiful Letdown". This song has the line "I don't belong here" repeated over and over in it. Now, don't take it the wrong way, I don't think of that line as a mopy whiny tirade against society. Given the band's Christian roots I'm sure it's probably a thinly veiled religious reference. But the great thing about music and art is that they are often open to interpretation. My interpretation to that song is basically it being a celebration of all us geeks and nerds and losers that live outside society, but that wouldn't have it any other way. A kind of celebration of the outcast.

Anyways, I told you that just so you wouldn't think I was being mopy or hating life or anything while singing along to the words "I don't belong here." The freaky coincidence was a giant billboard on the side of the road that I had never noticed before. It was a Yellow Pages ad, but I think it was one of those that flips over to another ad behind it, because the closer you got to it, you could see words behind the actual ad, as if the flipping thing was stuck. What were the words on the billboard? "You belong here." I drove back just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. It was definitely there. Freaked me out real quick.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JoFo
Joy to the world, the Wii has come.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoFo   E-mail JoFo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I got one!

I sometimes help with shelfreading at my mother's library (shelfreading = fancy way of saying "keeping the books in proper alphabetical order). Trust me, it's not as easy as it sounds.

So, one day I'm in the mystery section doing my job, when a spider falls on me out of nowhere. After a moment of trying to find it and freaking out, I go back to my duty. The next book I touch? "Along Came a Spider"

--------------------
I'm not paranoid, I'm just surrounded by enemies!

Posts: 420 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E. Q. Taft:
E... but also pointed out that it's not really accurate -- all you have to do from Delaware is cross the Chesapeake river, and you're in Virginia. And then he proceded to mention.....the Delmarva peninsula.

I realize that you are quoting Franken here, but this isn't even close to being right. First of all, I've lived here all my life and have never heard of a "Chesapeake River". Secondly, if you look at a map of the Delamarva peninsula, you'll see that the southern and western portions of Delaware are completely enveloped by Maryland. And if by "Chesapeake River", he meant the "Chesapeake Bay", he was wrong on that count, too.

Delaware only borders three states, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and due to a bit of historical flukiness, a small portion of New Jersey.

Bad "Fightin' Blue Hen" Ronald

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sweetokiegirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetokiegirl   E-mail sweetokiegirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How's this one for you.

My sisters are mirror image identical twins. I never understood what that meant. How could they be identical and opposite? Well I looked it up on the internet one day and learned some new stuff. I went home and told my husband all that I had learned. Interesting stuff.

Well anyway that night I was watching TV, CSI I think, and they discussed mirror image identical twins!

Posts: 20 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last week I was playing a CD I had burned and I turned on the song "Signs" by the Five Man Electrical Band. In the middle, my friend announced "That's enough of that song" and turned off the CD player and turned on the radio. And "Signs" was playing - almost exactly where it had left off. I checked to make sure that it was indeed the radio, and not still the CD player.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ths is going to sound like glurge, but I swear this is true.

My sophomore year, a friend invited me to go to a concert by the band Harvest. I made excuse after excuse not to.

The night of the concert, I remember being so lonely and upset that I was praying for God to show me what I should do. No answer came.

So finally, I said "forget this!" grabbed my Walkman and the first cassette tape I could lay my hands on. I yelled out, "God, you didn't answer me, so I'm just going to hole up here in my room where I belong!" and shoved the tape in without looking to see where it was.

When I hit play, two things hit me at once. First of all, it was the Monkees' "Take a Giant Step". The second was I had my answer. Immediately, what comes on was the second half of the second verse of that song.

"Don't sit in your lonely room
Just starin' back in silent gloom
That's not where you belong"

I went to that concert. By myself. I left it with the man I would marry seven months later.

Lady "still gets a chill listening to that song" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My best friend Betty died in 2005. We knew each other for just over 5 years. We were very close and had joked that we were so alike that we could have been family. At her funeral I was quite shocked to see my Dad's cousin and his wife. Turns out that his wife was Betty's aunt. A year later we were at the same cemetery at the same plot for Betty's father's funeral.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed this phenomenon a great deal in sports breadcasts. Within a few minutes of the announcers' mentioning some amazing streak, it will break.

"This QB is on a streak of 200 passes without an interception." Two plays later, interception. My family have noticed it so often that we all yell at the TV when the announcers point out a streak by a Bills' player.

Since this is snopes, someone will remind me that this is a case of remembering only what you want to, but its ok. Sports has imbued with some healthy superstitions.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed this phenomenon a great deal in sports breadcasts. Within a few minutes of the announcers' mentioning some amazing streak, it will break.

"This QB is on a streak of 200 passes without an interception." Two plays later, interception. My family have noticed it so often that we all yell at the TV when the announcers point out a streak by a Bills' player.

Since this is snopes, someone will remind me that this is a case of remembering only what you want to, but its ok. Sports has imbued with some healthy superstitions.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We just bought Chevy AZTEC, it is a weird looking car, my daughter bought one and we drove it and liked it.

Then you start noticing how many cars, out there.

This works on any car/trucks.

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My best friend Betty died in 2005. We knew each other for just over 5 years. We were very close and had joked that we were so alike that we could have been family. At her funeral I was quite shocked to see my Dad's cousin and his wife. Turns out that his wife was Betty's aunt. A year later we were at the same cemetery at the same plot for Betty's father's funeral.

-------------------------------------
While at church one Sunday, my partner over heard a conversation about her Aunt Willa, seems she was a neighbor, who was not very nice. In comes another friend who said, Willa was her aunt, Patty then tells them that she is her aunt too.
one related through the husband and one through the wife. We thought it was unique.
-----------------------------------

#2. Patty works in retail, if our mechanic comes into the store for any reason, we have car problems. It happens every time. It's funny, when she sees himcome in, she actually tells him not to come in if she is working. We can't afford it!LOL

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's weird, EQT: I heard of the "Delmarva peninsula" for the first time only last week. And now here it is on snopes.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zabia:
In our group we call that a "plate of shrimp" from the movie Repo Man.

That's what we call it! What a bizarre coincidence!

[fish]

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found a lot of funny coincidences/things in common between me and one of my best friends, Naomi. Some are probably not that weird considering we live in the same area, but I still think it's funny that there are so many things. I probably forgot some here.

First, I had a photo of Naomi before I ever knew her... I had a photo from my ex-next-door-neighhbor's daughter, a 2nd grade class picture which I used for a school project. Naomi was in her class that year so she was in the photo.

Second, her grandmother and uncle both go to my college.

Third, we both had our grade schools close down when we were in middle school (6th-7th grade) Hers happened about 10 years after mine...

Fourth, we both were taking care of litters of kittens when we started high school (again, about 10 years time difference there.) Mine was stray orphaned kittens, hers was a stray pregnant cat who had kittens.

5th, we both were friends with another girl who had moved away several years before I met Naomi. We may actually have both known her at the same time, but we never met at that time. She was also friends with my next-door-neighbor's daughter, who was like a little sister to me when I was younger.

6th, I was at her grandmother's house recently when I saw a woman who looked really familiar (I think it was a family member's girlfriend.) I finally figured out that the woman and I had gone to the same high school.

7th, we both had or have pets named Frodo (my Frodo came with the name...)

Not a coincidence, but funny-- I met Naomi in my house, at my (small) birthday party, when another friend brought her along...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One year, my college roomie and a couple of other friends decided to go into DC for July 4th (along with thousands of other people). We were on the Capitol Beltway (I-495) when we were joking around about finding mates. And I said something along the lines of "Oh well, I'll just start flagging down guys here and see if one of them wants to tag along with us. I'll start with this guy over here." And turned to my left. To see that the driver of the car to our left was a guy who had lived in the apartment next to ours at college. It took a while, but we were able to get his attention. And he did meet up with us for the day. But no, we did not hook up. Alas, he, like many other men in our lives, had the (unrequited) hots for my roomie. But still the strangest coincidence in my life.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember specific coincidences that have happened to me lately, they happen often enough that no one incident stands out, I guess (or maybe I just don't pay attention?). One coincidence that happened when I was a kid has always been kind of trippy, though.

My family moved to Oregon from California when I was eight. It took me a long time to make friends, but one of the first was the girl across the street. We soon found out that my birthday fell on her parent's wedding anniversary, and her birthday was on my parent's anniversary.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a period of time a few years back, lasting about 1-1.5 years where I would encounter the number 747 all the time.

Usually it was on clocks. I'd notice it in the morning as I was getting ready to go to work, and on weekends when I slept in, I'd somehow manage to wake up at exactly 7:47 AM. I'd invariably look at a clock or my own watch at 7:47 PM, whether I was at home, at a friend's, driving, or pretty much anywhere.

Anytime I looked at my watch there was a good chance that it was exactly 7 minutes and 47 seconds past the hour.

But it came up in other places as well; numbers of people at some gathering, files in a folder on my computer, number of words in my report, days left until some important date, phone numbers, addresses, license plates, anything. On a typical day I'd encounter the number 747 in some form at least a dozen times, sometimes even into the hundreds of times.

It didn't start suddenly. I just noticed 747 creeping in more and more often. I started getting a bit freaked out, but after a while I just got used to it. It'd still notice it, but my response became "Oh, there it is again. Nice. Now what was I doing?" I'd sometimes wonder if it meant something, but the number naver came up in anything "big," just in the daily routine.

After more than a year of this, it just faded away over a week or two.

I still don't know what that was about. The logical explanation is that it was all in my mind. In some cases I just noticed it because I was subconsciously looking for it. In other cases I brought it about myself.

Nothing like that has ever happened with any other number.

Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soft Hyphen:
There was a period of time a few years back, lasting about 1-1.5 years where I would encounter the number 747 all the time.

Funny, I'm doing an internet search right now to find out about my kid's trombone. It is a Getzen model 747.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in a small town in Ohio (Brookville).
Even people who live in this general area were unlikely to have heard of it. We had a graduating class of around 100 people.

Not very long after I moved to California, my SO took me over to one of his coworker's apartment. The coworker had moved in recently, too, and had various stuff in boxes sitting around, and strewn across surfaces. I sat down on his couch to wait, and noticed he had his high school graduating class compilation photo sitting on the coffee table. I picked it up to see if I could pick him out, then noticed the name of the school: Brookville High School. Yeah, the guy had graduated several years before I did, from the same school.

It's not quite as amazing as it seems, as my SO and this guy had known each other when we all were still living in Ohio, but it was really strange to be smacked in the face with my hometown so soon after moving so very far away.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a German exchange student in high school. My pastor's daughter brought her Australian husband back to the states (North Dakota, mind you.) Turns out the Aussie had family who lived down the street from my exchange student. (Insert Twilight Zone theme here.)

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have another one. I knew my step-Mom before my Dad did. And I called her Mom instead of by her real name.

My best friend through childhood is her kids' 2nd cousin. Her younger daughter, Angel, my friend and I would hang out together after school and in the summers. My Dad met Angel many times when she came to the house but never her. I had a car but Angel was a few years younger and couldn't drive so I would go pick her and my friend up.

I graduated, moved out on my own and met Hubby. Shortly after that Dad calls and says "You'll never guess who I've been dating." They had been dating for a few weeks before he met her kids... including Angel!

They married 3 months after I did.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages