snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Pink eye?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pink eye?
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For a little more than a week, my right eye has been bothering me. It started off feeling like it was there was something in my eye, and would itch/hurt intermittently. Then it started to feel like a stye. "No big deal," I told myself. "A warm compress and it'll do its thing."

Earlier this week, it started to itch a bit more, and burn once in a while, and it's slightly puffy. Because it's gotten so annoying, I called my mom to ask her to make an appointment with my optometrist. She immediately jumped to conclusions and assumed I have pink eye. I looked at a couple of websites for symptoms and images, and my right eye doesn't have the main symptom of pink eye- it's not really red! (For comparison, this is a pic of my left eye.) In fact, the only difference I see is that it's a bit swollen and the eyelids are red.

I haven't seen a case of pink eye (to my knowledge) in a very long time, if ever. So I can't tell if it is. Could someone just tell me if they think it may be pink eye, or something else? I'm trying to avoid going to the health center on campus.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Go. Eye problems can be problematic whatever they are, and sometimes they are a symptom of other problems. While in this case its probably nothing, eyes aren't exactly the best things at fully recovering from damage done to them.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you wake up and your eye is crusted shut, it's pink eye. Other than that no. Sounds like allergies to me but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James G.:
While in this case its probably nothing, eyes aren't exactly the best things at fully recovering from damage done to them.

You don't know my eye. It's survived being burnt (from an exploding egg, long story) and minor impalement (again, long story), and is STILL the better of my eyes!

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah! Someone klutzier than me!! (Hit my head on a bowling ball, once.)

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by franjava:
Yeah! Someone klutzier than me!! (Hit my head on a bowling ball, once.)

Glad to make you feel less of a klutz.

--------------------

truck1
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for truck1   E-mail truck1   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Your eye looks similar to my eye when I had a virus in it. Family doc gave me some eye drops it cleard right up.

--------------------
Rush doesn’t understand that MJ Fox’s meds aren’t supposed to make him into a fat blowhard with partial mental incapacity. In other words, Fox’s meds are different from Rush’s. Hogweed on Thing Progress

Posts: 10 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Thanks, Truck. Did your virus seem to clear up a bit when you were in and immediately getting out of the shower?

--------------------

Donelin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donelin     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mickey I often have the same thing in one eye-I am told by my Optometrist that it is eye allergies. A fast test is to try the Visine A-it has benadryl in it if I remember correctly. If that helps then you might want to talk to the Dr. about the prescription drops. In my case the scrip ones work a bit better, but YYMV.

--------------------
I have the body of a god--Sadly it is the Buddha

Posts: 35 | From: Central California | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

I do have eye allergies. I have eye drops for it. But the way my eye feels is NOT the same as allergies. Before I started getting allergy shots, my eyes would swell shut.

--------------------

Kahuna Burger
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahuna Burger   E-mail Kahuna Burger       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whether its pink eye or not, it is a doctor probem, not an optomitrist problem. If you have a student health center you can go to without a charge, there's no reason to make it an internet problem either. Make an appointment. In the meantime wash your hands frequently and try not to rub.
Posts: 96 | From: Attleboro, MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Kahuna- I hate going to the health center. I go there for my allergy shots with no issues, but for illness-type of issues, I don't trust them. They've diagnosed a friend's pneumonia as a viral upper respiratory infection, a broken finger as a jammed finger, and once attributed my sinus infection as a mild cold.

They're not the best...

--------------------

Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had a pretty nasty case of pinkeye two weeks ago. The nurse, who thought it might be an ulcer, send me to the doctor with it.
He said if it's in both eyes and really messy with secretions and gunk it's a bacterial infection and it generally clears up after you take some antibiotics.

If it's only in one eye (but it can spread to the other), it's viral, which is less messy but pretty contagious and you have to wait until it goes away by itself. Mine was viral, so he told me to not touch my eyes and to wash my hands several times a day, and to not share anything facial (makeup, towels etc.) with anybody. If you wear contacts, keep them out until it goes away and get rid the contacts and case you were using when it showed up. (That really sucked because it was a brand-new pair that could have been good for another three weeks.)

A hot or cold washcloth helped with my symptoms and you can get pinkeye relief eyedrops at the pharmacy. (I got a prescription because mine was pretty bad.)

It ought to go away in a few days; if it doesn't, go see a doctor right away. Good luck!

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Did your eye look like mine does?

--------------------

Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine was really red. This was the first time I've ever seen this and the doc said my case was bad, so I don't know how much it varies in terms of pinkness.
Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a reminder, pink eye is not an infection of the eyeball, but of the conjunctiva. By the time your eyeball gets gets red, the infection is pretty bad.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had pinkeye and other eye infections. I would try Visine and such so long as your eye is not getting funny crusty stuff on it, but anything that lasts longer than 72 hours with the eyes is not safe, and you should see a doctor.

I know what you mean about student clinics. When I was an undergraduate it seemed like they were convinced everybody was either pregnant, had mono, or both, and you had to rule both of those out before they'd listen to you about anything. But other than that they were quite nice about sinus infections and the like. Anything more serious and I'd see what I would call a "real" doctor.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
truck1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for truck1   E-mail truck1   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually it did seem better after a shower. I found what was left of my prescription. It was Naphcon A it is an ocular decongestant/antihistimine

--------------------
Rush doesn’t understand that MJ Fox’s meds aren’t supposed to make him into a fat blowhard with partial mental incapacity. In other words, Fox’s meds are different from Rush’s. Hogweed on Thing Progress

Posts: 10 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

You know, it's really funny. I think my eye was reading the responses, and whatever was bothing it made a run for it.

My eye doesn't bother me anymore! Yaaay!

--------------------

Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Blepharitis is a condition marked by red, itchy, inflamed eyelids. See your eye doctor. I get this, and it's related to my tendency to get styes/chalazeons. It can come and go. My doctor has recommended daily cleansing of the eyelids (inside and outside the lashes) with a soft washcloth and baby shampoo. (It really doesn't sting at all.) He gave me a pamphlet on blepharitis that also said that treating dandruff could help things. (?) I didn't get that, but I don't have dandruff, either, so I just ignored that part. Anyway, this may not even be your problem, but definitely see your doctor.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a Moorish Idol:
You know, it's really funny. I think my eye was reading the responses, and whatever was bothing it made a run for it.

My eye doesn't bother me anymore! Yaaay!

That's good for now, but please...just go. Either to an outside doc or the student health center, just go get checked out.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages