snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Digital Camera Repairs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital Camera Repairs
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our second digital camera in as many years has bitten the dust (takes pictures but they all come out black on screen), and my digital camcorder has a small crack in the bit that holds the battery which means that the battery slips out 9 out of 10 times.

My local camera shop will charge me a non-returnable £50 to even look at a digital camera. They then quote upwards of £200 for fixing standard faults.

I really don't want to just say "sod it," spend £250 on a new one and send mine to landfill. Anyone else had this problem? I've just dug out my old Hi-8 camcorder and 35mm camera and they might be a faff, but at least they still work after 10+ years.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have exactly the opposite problem: our still digicams seem to last for freaking ever. My daughter has her grandpa's, which is now 7 or 8 years old. It's an old Kodak, and it resembles a Fisher-Price toy camera. Needless to say, she hates it.

And we have been trying to find an excuse to by a new digi Canon SLR, but can't justify the $1000 while we have no less than 4 otherwise functional digi cams in the house.

So, sorry, Neffti; I don't know how to help, except if you wait until after Christmas, you might find close-out sales.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti Neon:
My local camera shop will charge me a non-returnable £50 to even look at a digital camera. They then quote upwards of £200 for fixing standard faults.

I really don't want to just say "sod it," spend £250 on a new one and send mine to landfill. Anyone else had this problem?

I'm on digi camera #5
#1 one was a brilliant Fugipix in 2001 at IR£350, with the then huge memory of 1.3 MP.
DS1 dropped it and the repairs were €150.

So I didn't bother, went out and bought #2, the same camera for €200. Someone else dropped this one and the same fate befell it.

#3 was a cheap and cheerful Mustek for €99, 1 MP
It still works.

I picked up #4, a Yakumo, 3MP for snap shots at parties, etc., as it fits neatly into a shirt breast pocket, but the quality is crap and it eats batteries when using flash, hence my photos in the challenges are usually of poor quality.

No #5 is actually DW's. A good Pentax. 6 MP. But I rarely use it as I know if I drop it it will be kaput.

For most of my work stuff I still use a 35mm SLR film camera. The lenses alone are what makes this camera still necessary.
However, I'm planning on getting something in the January sales, with 6-8MP, and an optical zoom, which are now affordable at around €300.

ETA: I think if a Digital camera breaks, throw it away, unless it was very expensive.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everything has become so disposable these days, sometimes they are hardly worth fixing. My diswasher is on the fritz & I've spent the last hour and a half reading a repair site. They all say that the repair buisness is dying. My DD used the shelves on the fridge door as a ladder & broke them. The plastic interior is acutally broken. I haven't found exact replacements yet, but the ones I've seen are nearly as much as a new fridge. [Mad]

I don't have any advice on the camera either. You say it takes pictures, but comes out black on the screen; do they still download into your computer properly? Or is it just the screen on the camera?

We are only on camera #2 in 6 years. The first one still works great, it's an Olympus 1.3 MP. Last time I used it was when I went to Vegas last Feb. It fits into pockets a lot better than the new one. It's still floating around the house here somewhere...

We bought the second one from our neighbor about 3 years ago. It was a good deal on a Minolta that was only a year old, $1000 when new. 5 Megapixels. What sux now is that you can buy 5 MP cameras for less than $200 that are alot smaller than this thing. But it does take decent pictures.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blue Phantom
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Phantom   E-mail Blue Phantom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs. Phantom and I had a nice Canon digital camera (bought for us by my phantoms-in-law for taking shots of Baby Phantom). It was dropped about six months ago, long out of warranty, and broke the lens. We called Canon USA about repairs, and they have a program where you can send in your old camera, and they send you a factory reconditioned newer model for a discounted price. In our case, it was a model that was about two years newer than our old one, and would've cost $500 retail, but was offered (with trade-in) for about $250. We figured we'd pay about that much to repair our old one anyway, and since the new one came with a limited warranty (something like 90 days or less), it was better than sinking money into an old camera that may not be fixable.

It turned out the replacement they sent us didn't work at all (wouldn't even turn on, or something basic like that), so we returned that immediately, they sent us another one, and we've been using that one without problems for almost a year.

So, despite the initial hassle of returning the non-functioning replacement they sent us, we feel we got a good deal. I don't know what Canon did with the old camera, but they probably could've fixed it easily (by replacing the lens), or recycled its parts. It's possible it ended up in a landfill, but I like to think it didn't.

The manufacturer of your camera may have a similar exchange/refresh program.

Blue "avoided a Canon brawl" Phantom

Posts: 26 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an Olympus C-2100UZ that needed repairs. I bought it for 12500 kr ($1800). The repairs cost 4000 kr, and when I got it back, exactly the same model was on sale for 5000 kr. It was less than 2 years old.

In other words, unless it's a very expensive camera with a big collection of lenses and stuff, don't bother. Get a new one, or find a used one of the same model.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Cow
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Cow   E-mail Purple Cow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Phantom:
Mrs. Phantom and I had a nice Canon digital camera (bought for us by my phantoms-in-law for taking shots of Baby Phantom). It was dropped about six months ago, long out of warranty, and broke the lens. We called Canon USA about repairs, and they have a program where you can send in your old camera, and they send you a factory reconditioned newer model for a discounted price.

Ooh, Thanks for mentioning that! I'm going to have to look into that, as my canon PowerShot A60 has been on the fritz for a couple of years, now... I have to smack it around to get the picture to clear up before I can take pictures... It's ruined my ability to catch things quickly, so I know I've missed quite a few pictures. [Frown]

ETA: Do you happen to have a link or something for this program? I'm having bad Google-time right now (could just be the lack of sleep [Razz] )

--------------------
No one ever wants the super boob.
-Dr. Heisler, American Dad

Baby Alex!

Posts: 233 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blue Phantom
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Phantom   E-mail Blue Phantom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Purple Cow,

Now that I'm at home, I can check the details of the program (and correct my previous post).

According to the sheet I got with the new camera, the program is called the Canon Update Program. The warranty is actually 6 months (not the 90 days I mentioned above).

Looking through the packet of information I received, I found two different numbers for Canon Customer Care:
1-866-443-8002, and 1-800-828-4040. Both are labeled "Canon Customer Care" on two different sheets of paper--they might go to the same place, or maybe one number replaces the other. I don't remember which I called.

I do remember that I called to find out about the program, though--I didn't see anything about it online (but then I didn't look very hard, either).

Oh, yeah...I remember the other thing that was mildly annoying about the program was that (understandably) they wouldn't send the replacement camera until they received ours. We shipped ours in its original package via Priority Mail for a few dollars and it was there in two days. They shipped the replacement back to us via UPS or FedEx ground, and it took more than a week coming back (it had to go across the country). Not such a big deal, but we were leaving on a trip and really wanted the camera. It came just in time, but it was the one that wouldn't turn on, so we couldn't use it anyway.

However, the customer service folks we talked to at Canon were very nice (both times), and we're still quite happy with our camera.

Blue "Say 'Cheese!'" Phantom

Posts: 26 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages