snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » WARTS!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WARTS!
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 02 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a couple warts on my left hand for a few years now. One is on the palm of my hand, right below my ring finger, and the other is right on my thumb. It affects my thumbprint [Smile] They are both fairly small, but the one on my thumb just drives me insane because it's raised and I constantly feel it.

Anyways, I have tried just about every type of wart remover: the sticky pads, gels/liquids you paint on, and the home freezing kits. Those stubborn suckers are Still There! The pads are a pain because they don't say on. The liquids/gels seem to come off or rub off. The freezing kit I've tried several times, but it hasn't had any effect.

I know if I go to a doctor, they can freeze or burn it off. I dont' know yet if my insurance will cover that type of thing; I'll have to check. Has anyone had this done? Do you remember a ballpark cost?

But in the meantime, have any other snopesters had any luck with home wart removers? Specific brands?

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is an odd one for you. Use duct tape. I first heard about this one from our local pharmacist. Googling online brought up this article from the American Academy of Family Physicians.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is crazy!!

But I will probably try it [Smile]
Have you tried it or know of anyone first hand that has?

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by underwater paisley:
That is crazy!!

But I will probably try it [Smile]
Have you tried it or know of anyone first hand that has?

No, I'm afraid I don't know anybody personally who has used this. The only things I've heard have been FOAF accounts from my pharmacist friend.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had some warts on the tops of my toes for several years because I didn't realize that's what they were, and I didn't have health insurance to go find out.

When I did get health insurance, I went to get them frozen off by the doctor. I think after my insurance, it cost me about $10 a treatment (plus the doctor appt co-pay), but they charged around $100 to the insurance company each time. It took 3 treatments for mine, but they were pretty big and weird.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used tape to get rid of a wart, at a doctor's instruction - I used bandage tape rather than duct tape, though - that suck disappeared quickly, I was surprised. This was a while ago, but I believe it only took a week or 2.

It got stinky and mushy before it was gone though.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used duct tape on the bottom of my foot for a plantar's wart. It didn't work. So, it might depend on the type of wart. Although, I started watching part of a documentary on duct tape (seriously on the History Channel or someplace like that) and they indicated that duct tape would work for warts. I might have been unsuccessful because it was really hard to keep the tape exactly in place.

This is kind of gross. But, when I was a kid, I had a wart on my knee. My mom would put on the wart remover, it would go away, and then come back. This happened several times. Finally, I snagged it on something, ripped it off, and it never came back.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I think I'll just have to try the duct tape. It can't hurt I guess! [Wink]

Lydia, I could see how a plantar's wart may not be affected by the duct tape...those suckers are usually bigger and stronger. Mine are just common warts, so hopefully something will affect them!!

My thumb wart seems like it morphs occasionally...sometimes it just looks like a blister, right now it's got the cauliflower-look to it, and then occasionally it will get black dots on it (roots?? What are they?). When this happens, I can usually squeeze my thumb and manipulate the black things to rise above the surface of the wart, and then I clip them off. Last time I clipped off a whole group of the damn things.

More and more I'm just tempted to clip the whole damn wart off (ouch!)...

--------------------

Strawberry Limeade
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberry Limeade   Author's Homepage   E-mail Strawberry Limeade   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a plantar's wart on my foot as a kid and I had to have it burned off via electric needle. I'd gone through every medication the doctors could throw at me and all that happened was the wart grew to about the size of a quarter. The doctor was my great-uncle and the process happened at his small town general practioner clinic, so my pricing info would probably be off. Plus, I don't know what it cost since I was 9, but it was the only thing that worked. Good luck!

--------------------
"My artist statement is incomprehensible and therefore full of deep significance." - Calvin

Posts: 36 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had two warts on my right ring finger when I was a kid, I don't remember how long I had them but I think it was about a year. Then I read about a 'remedy' in a children's book that would fit right in with many other ULs and Old Wives' Tales and decided to try it out. To my defense, I was ten and had a vivid imagination, it didn't seem at all suspicious to me. So I pressed a stone on the warts then spit on it and buried it in the ground, all under the full moon of course [Smile]

I don't know why but those warts vanished within two weeks and I never had a single one since then. That's probably why I still cross my fingers and close my eyes when wishing for something really, really hard, just in case it does make a difference [Big Grin]

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had 2 warts on my hand when I was 15, I went to the doctor to get them frozen off.... it didn't work, the whole area that had been touched by the freezing bit scabbed over, and when the scab fell off the wart spread through the whole area, so instead of a small wart about 3 mm diameter, I had a large wart spread out over about 1cm diameter (though not as raised), which was there for about another year.

11 years later I still have a scar on my hand.

Not particularly encouraging I know, but from my experience I would never recommend having warts frozen off!!

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by underwater paisley:

My thumb wart seems like it morphs occasionally...sometimes it just looks like a blister, right now it's got the cauliflower-look to it,

That's the kind of wart I used the tape on - a cauliflower-y thumb wart.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a bunch, on 3 fingers of my right hand. And a bunch on my left knee. I had them frozen off by the doctor, and he did the hands in 3 separate times, and they went away. The ones on my knee went away after he froze the ones on my hand. I haven't had any since.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got three plantar's warts removed Monday from my right foot. One was pretty big, so I now have a gross-looking crater on the ball of my foot and have been hobbling around all week. [Frown] I get them occasionally and OTC remedies never work for me.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About five years ago I had plantar warts on several toes. The doctor shaved them down with a scalpel, then gave me salicylic acid to put on them - it looked like bright green cake icing. The acid killed the warts (and the surrounding skin) pretty effectively, making them easy to scrape off.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doctor Scholl's makes an over-the-counter freeze off treatment now. I don't know how well it works, but when my daughter gets warts again, I'm getting that for her.

The duct tape method didn't work on her warts. They got all gross and mushy but didn't go away. My dad finally gave her some of his extra prescription-strength pads- the kind you have to cut to size and place a band-aid over. They worked, but took a while.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
L
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for L         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It took liquid nitrogen to get rid of mine in the end (a first doctor had tried something much warmer to do the job, but failed). Was warned it would hurt quite a lot (on warming up), but it didn't (fel a little tingle though).
Posts: 121 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Frog_Feathers:
Doctor Scholl's makes an over-the-counter freeze off treatment now. I don't know how well it works, but when my daughter gets warts again, I'm getting that for her.

That's what I tried most recently, the OTC freeze off treatment. I don't think it was Dr. Scholl's; I think it was Wartner or something. Anyways, I didn't have much luck, even though I froze the suckers like 3 separate times.

I wonder what would happen if I used some of the liquid salicylic acid stuff in conjunction with the duct tape?

--------------------

erwins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erwins   E-mail erwins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried salicylic acid combined with duct tape on my plantar wart that I had for years. It had finally started to spread -- 3 new little warts showed up next to it. So, that is what I tried for pretty much a whole summer.

It didn't work for me, although it did remove a few layers.

I then developed one on my thumb as well. At that point, I went to the doctor and had them all frozen. I went twice, and the one on my thumb and the small plantar ones were almost gone after that. The big plantar one was about 1/2 the size it had been.

To finish them off, I got the home freezing kit and hit them about every 5-7 days. Since I had had my doctor freeze them twice, I knew how frozen they could be, so I kind of ignored the directions on the freezing kit and froze them a lot longer/more than the directions say. (I was trying to approximate the doctor's treatment, although I never got close to that frozen). I think I went through two cans of the home freeze kit before they were all gone. It took maybe 3 months altogether.

Oh, and going slightly mad, a common remedy for warts that works with kids is to "buy" them from the kid. You tell them that they can have a dollar per wart if they're gone in two weeks, or whatever. Supposedly works pretty well with kids.

erwins

Posts: 238 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think everyone is kinda missing the biggest part of the duct tape treatment in the story. After leaving it on for a week when the skin is mushy you need to debride it with a pumice stone. That should break up the skin and get rid of a few layers of the wart. Then you'd put the tape back on for another week.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used a couple of OTC treatments the times i've had warts and all of them say every two -three days to use either a nail file or pumice stone to take the top off and then continue with the treatment. They've always worked for me that way.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate my warts and they go away.

They've found (I've read at least two articles about it) that your believability factor has a lot to do with making warts disappear (not everything, byt a lot). Thay may be why the buying, and rubbing with a stone and duct tape work. I had a couple under my arm and decided rather than bothering with extras, I'd just hate them away. It worked. When DS2 got warts on his thumb, I suggested it to him and it worked for him, too. He said he'd spend a few minutes each day staring at a specific wart (he had several) and thinking about how much he hated it and was mad at it for being there. They got smaller and smaller and eventyally dried up and vanished.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L:
It took liquid nitrogen to get rid of mine in the end (a first doctor had tried something much warmer to do the job, but failed). Was warned it would hurt quite a lot (on warming up), but it didn't (fel a little tingle though).

I remember the days before COSHH when we frequntly used liquid nitrogen for this purpose in the lab [Wink]

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by blucanary:
I think everyone is kinda missing the biggest part of the duct tape treatment in the story. After leaving it on for a week when the skin is mushy you need to debride it with a pumice stone. That should break up the skin and get rid of a few layers of the wart. Then you'd put the tape back on for another week.

Thanks for that tip!
I haven't gotten any duct tape yet, but I'm planning to simultaneously tape and hate my warts [Smile]

Maybe talking to them, like throwing insults and ridiculing them would do the trick?

--------------------

Birgie
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Birgie   E-mail Birgie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had plantar warts on the soles of my feet and used the duct tape, worked like a wonder! I would let the tape soften up the skin and wart then attack it with a nail clipper, clipping off as much as I could. It took awhile but worked. I haven't had any new ones since then either.

--------------------
"of all tyrannies, the tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Posts: 49 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son tried all the regular OTC treatments, even used canned air to freeze them. The duct tape thing came out, he tried it and the wart was gone in about two weeks.

Today there was a letter to The People's Pharmacy column in the newspaper from nurse who tried the duct tape and her wart was gone in a week.

The column reports that a new study finds the duct tape only 16% effective; that older study found it to be 85% effective, higher than freezing. For my money, I'd try the duct tape first and certainly before I'd pay a doctor or even buy OTC treatments.

I will mention that I wondered if my son's wart went away because of the combination of all the OTC things he tried and then smothered it with the duct tape.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages