snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » A good FREE editing program?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A good FREE editing program?
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone tell me where I may be able to find a decent photo editing program that's free? I finally took a picture of something I've been wanting to be made into a pendant, and I want to edit the image so that it looks more solid.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
VERY simple editing can be done by Irfanview. Again, it is VERY simple, does not do much, but it is free.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you mean by "More Solid" ? I might be able to point you in the right direction!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senshisteph
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.gimp.org/windows/

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many people in the web authoring groups I read also recommend the GIMP, although I haven't used it so I can't give it a personal recommmendation. It is very powerful and free, however.

If you are already used to working with the Photoshop-style menus, there is also a modification of GIMP called GIMPShop, which more closely resembles the look anf feel of Photoshop.

Also, if you bought a digital camera or scanner recently, check to see if it came bundled with some light-weight photo-editing software. Depending on what you want to do, it may be sufficient.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I use CorelDraw.
They offer a free 30 day trial version, which you will either be happy with it and buy it, or it will do whatever you need now, then discard it when the 30 days are up.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I use GIMP for the (very minimal) editing I do at work. It's quite powerful, but a bit awkward and non-intuitive. Still, you can't beat the price and features.

Nick Theodorakis: I'd never seen GIMPShop before. I'm downloading it now to try. Thanks!

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One more for the GIMP.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got the GIMP as well.

I may have to check out that GIMPShop thing myself.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, GIMP is downloaded.

I will return with a report of what I thought of it, and pictures of the image I'm playing with.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Paint Dot Net

It's like the GIMP, but with a usable interface.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see I'm a litlle late to this thread, but I vote for GIMP also.

My favorite free editor was PaintShop Pro 3.1. As you can tell by the version number, it was written for Windows 3.1. It can't do nearly as much as modern programs do, but I found it easy to use, and it always did everything I needed it to do. I've lost it in the many upgrades I've done since then, but I think it did work under XP. Of course, it's probably hard to find these days.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Okay, here's a copy of the image. I've found GIMP to be a clumsy program, though. It can't do everything I want.

Picture!
I also wanted to completely change the color scheme around on another picture. The current image has a white background and black foreground, and I wanted to change it to a black background and a green foreground.

If someone can tell me EXACTLY what I have to do to get it done, I'd be eternally grateful!

Edited to make a smaller picture

--------------------

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Open your image in GIMP

Double click the Foreground colors and select the shade of green you want

Click OK

Double click the Background colors and select black

Click OK

Click on Select and choose By Color

Click somewhere on the black you want to change to green

Click Edit and choose Fill with FG Color

Click Select and choose Invert

Click Edit and choose Fill with BG Color

Fin.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Yay! Thank you Chillas! Is it too late to say you look like Jamie Bamber (who, btw, I think is absolutely drool-worthy), not like Jon Lovitz?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages