snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » December Initiation Thread - Welcome to the ULMB (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: December Initiation Thread - Welcome to the ULMB
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*ripping from the November Initiation thread...*

Welcome to all, new and old. For new members, this is the place to introduce yourself and to be initiated, ask for help, and practice any board functions you would like to learn.

For those who don't know, the ULMB is the Urban Legends Message Board; it is the online community for the Urban Legends Reference Pages (ULRP or snopes.com). A couple of important people you'll see around are our gracious hosts, snopes and Barbara, also known as The Mikkelsons. Four Kitties and Jenn are minions of The Mikkelsons. They do things like fix broken links or delete accidental multiple posts.

We members, affectionately known as snopesters, all strenuously attempt to abide by Barbara's Guide to Good Behavior. I'm sure since reading the FAQ is part of the registration process that everyone has already done so; but if you haven't or need a refresher, please do.

It gets a little silly in this thread, but rest assured it's a chance to learn the tricks of things like posting, searching, and making links, as well as some board lingo and etiquette. To help everyone learn the ropes, more seasoned members will come up with tasks for you to complete. Participation is completely optional, but please feel free to take advantage and ask questions if you have them.

Wipe your feet, enjoy the boards, and welcome to the community.

Now...where are those llamas and moldy jell-o shots?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry Mickey, I threw out the moldy jell-o shots. They were starting to evolve. I do have some new ones just starting to get moldy in my fridge. Should be ready in a couple days.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sweet. And the sumos? Cowboys? NMRs? And for DOYC sakes, tell Guru to put the pirate away! Before any of the victims initiates see him.

...this is such a nice break from my schoolwork that made me ill last night...

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some NMR's left from the September initiation I think...they breed pretty quick. I wasn't around for last month's initiation, so someone else may have some more.

Why does Guru need to put the pirate away? He'll keep the vic...um, initiates, occupied while we come up with tasks!

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Picky
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Picky   E-mail Picky   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello,

I am reporting in for my initiation....please be nice!

Posts: 3 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

I promise we'll be nice Picky. Welcome!

For your first task, take this Naked Mole Rat and try and clean the jell-o off of it...it got into the jell-o shots again!

--------------------

Picky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Picky   E-mail Picky   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here he is, isn't he cute?

Let's be careful with him though, he managed to eat some of the jell-o and now isn't feeling so good...

Posts: 3 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello and welcome to the holiday edition of the Snopes.com Initiation Thread (TM)!

The Georgian dancers, the sumo wrestlers, and the Florida Marlins are all having a great time decking the halls, and the Lickitung just can't wait until Christmas!

I also brought the usual stuff: peacock feathers, peanut butter, chocolate syrup, Christmas candy, hot cocoa and marshmallows, nuclear war films, various trading card games (Pokemon, M:tG, Yu-Gi-Oh!), edible undies, whips, chains, and D&D Miniatures. Looks like we're all set!

Here are your tasks, O newbies:

1. Find the ugliest Christmas-or Hanukkah-related costume and wear it to the initiation.

2. Watch a nuclear war film of your choice.

3. You have two options here. Either:

a. Braid a Georgian dancing lady's hair - two plaits, one on each side.

or

b. Polish a Georgian dancing guy's boots and dagger. (No, I don't mean this in a NFBSK manner!)

4. Go to YouTube and find a video of Georgian dancers.

5. Strip down below the belt, put on a pair of edible undies (optional), smear peanut butter, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and Christmas candy all over your NFBSK, and call upon Nina, our resident Lickitung.

6. Find a D&D miniature you like and give it a repaint job.

That's all for now.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have some edible underwear if needed - I got it as a wedding present.

Ew!

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard edible undies taste yucky. I wouldn't know from personal experience. Although the candy necklace-type of edible undies look like fun!

Oh, and initiates, make sure you know how to change colors of the fonts. As well as size.

There will be a test. So start getting to work!

--------------------

ValiumTen

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ValiumTen   E-mail ValiumTen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all,

Well, I have smeared the jello all over the kitchen floor so the monsters will slip and won't get me but I will attempt not to set the couch on fire.

Um, that's one for the Bill Cosby fans...

Posts: 19 | From: Redwood City, CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the test. I kind of like the one I've been doing for the past two months. Let me make it more difficult to include everything Mickey wants.

Newbies: Please proposition me, making sure to include at least 3 different colours of text and three different text sizes. Use a clever euphemism while doing it.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ValiumTen:
Hello all,

Well, I have smeared the jello all over the kitchen floor so the monsters will slip and won't get me but I will attempt not to set the couch on fire.

Um, that's one for the Bill Cosby fans...

I just dropped in here to say thank you for the laugh. We had that album (among others).

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I managed to scare off all but two of the November initiates with my special anagram challenge, so I think I'll lay off this month.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Here are your tasks, O newbies:

1. Find the ugliest Christmas-or Hanukkah-related costume and wear it to the initiation.

2. Watch a nuclear war film of your choice.

3. You have two options here. Either:

a. Braid a Georgian dancing lady's hair - two plaits, one on each side.

or

b. Polish a Georgian dancing guy's boots and dagger. (No, I don't mean this in a NFBSK manner!)

4. Go to YouTube and find a video of Georgian dancers.

5. Strip down below the belt, put on a pair of edible undies (optional), smear peanut butter, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and Christmas candy all over your NFBSK, and call upon Nina, our resident Lickitung.

6. Find a D&D miniature you like and give it a repaint job.

That's all for now.

- Pseudo_Croat

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster and am looking forward to being smeared with chocolate syrup and whipped cream, although I prefer a shower afterwards. Stickiness and all.

Here's my best attempt at initiation *yipes*:

1) Nothing says "Celebrate the season of our lord" by dressing up as him and wearing some sort of furry animal on your chin: Ugly Christmas Costume

2) The Day After More mass confusion than War of the Worlds! (Tom Cruise & Orson Welles versions).

3) I'll take B. And make a kick-ass bad metal album cover to boot! Georgian Boots and Daggers

4) I like the guy playing two flutes (or piccolos or whatever those instruments are): Georgian Dancing

5) Errr, edible undies chafe and peanut butter gives me a horrible rash.

6) Multi-Color DRAGON FTW!!! Look out Trogdor: Dragon Queen

--------------------
"The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even ends in the end"

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Tyrone! You haven't completed the tasks that MapleLeaf and I have set you on!

Get off your lazy bum and get to work!

--------------------

Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Welcome to the camp! I guess you all know why we are here" (5 points).

Internyms! We need a workshop on internyms.

Usually, but not necessarily, an internym is either a song lyric or a movie or TV quote. While points are given for obscurity, being too obscure is Not Much Fun either.

The artistry is involved when you can make a thematic connection to the topic in the thread, or someone's particular post, including your own. As an example, here are a few samples of internyms that could be used in this thread:

Dog (What's a cubit?) Friendly
Dog (Mama told me not to come!) Friendly
Dog (Deck us all with Boston Charlie) Friendly

There's a fine line between internyms and quoting other snopesters. I'm not too clear on it myself, but the convention seems to be that you quote other snopesters (always with permission, which I've never seen refused) in your signature line (often called a sig line), but rarely as an internym. Then again, Your Mileage May Vary.

Oh, and BTW: The sensory-deprivation chamber and the zero-gravity chamber are properly labelled as of now. I make no guarantees about whether they'll stay that way, but just be aware we have one of each. It is strongly suggested that lime jello shots not be taken into the zero-gee chamber unless you consume them first.

Woof! (Canine for "Cheers!")

Dog ("You'll have to do the thinking for both of us") Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancin' Fool
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancin' Fool   E-mail Dancin' Fool   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tommy, singing to the newbies on the rock opera "Tommy", the Who.

Now I have an ear worm, but it is a nice one.

Posts: 266 | From: Windsor, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyrone Slothrop

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Tyrone Slothrop   E-mail Tyrone Slothrop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a Moorish Idol:
Tyrone! You haven't completed the tasks that MapleLeaf and I have set you on!

Get off your lazy bum and get to work!

Eep, I missed your questions. No spankings please.

I...uh....errr...can't get the size and color UBB tags to work correctly. Me is stupid. Help? [Embarrassed]

ETA:

I learneded how.

So...*ahem*:

Mapleleaf, I dream of you, when I actually sleep of course, constantly; that is, when Mickey does not interject my somnambulist behaviours and whacks me with a frozen carp, waking me and interjecting
pissed off persuasive hominums at your humble admirer.

But then I remember, Mapleleaf, we will always smurf the moist wombat. Always, my dear.

--------------------
"The universe works on a math equation that never even ever really even ends in the end"

Posts: 32 | From: Colorado | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh. That tickled my fancy. Whatever that means.

*thumbs up* Is nice! I like!

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitten

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Kitten   E-mail Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gulp...guess I've got to jump in here!

Ugh...or not [Frown] ...I figured out how to get the links I want in here, but how do you get them so you can edit them instead of the whole thing showing? You know what I mean. Instead of showing the entire address so it just shows "this" or "that"...Help a newbie out PLEASE!!

Posts: 34 | From: Sanford, Florida | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This board uses UBB code. For the future, a quick search on UBB code will tell you.

To do a short link, do the following:
code:
[url={put your link here}]Link[/url]

For example,
[url=http://msgboard.snopes.com]ULMB[/url] will give you:

ULMB

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitten

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitten   E-mail Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah...I missed the part about the "=" and sub parens...I'll try again...thanks!
Posts: 34 | From: Sanford, Florida | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

You don't need the subparens.

Here is a good page to look at to understand it better.

--------------------

Kitten

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitten   E-mail Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok...here goes nothing! I've enjoyed this board so much I guess it's time for me to report for initiation...gulp...please be kind [Smile]

1 - Really limited holiday wardrobe...guess I'll have to squeeze into this.

2 - Since I don't have a "favorite nuclear film" I think I'll start with The Sum of All Fears.

3 - Umm...shh....I think I may have done something wrong braiding my dancers hair! When she got up, I found THIS!!

4 - Ok...so this is Georgian Dancing!

5 - Oh, Nina...where are you? The chocolate is melting...

6 - One seriously cool repainted Sorceror on Black Dragon.

Whew! That was fun...gotta go sit in traffic!

Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Errm, Kitten? You need to take an extra "http" out of your links.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
masterlegomom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for masterlegomom   E-mail masterlegomom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just dropping in to say Hello. I have been lurking for quite some time and just found some threads too interesting not to pop into. I am glad I did. Hello to everyone!
Posts: 5 | From: Crofton, MD | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sparklygirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I'm jumping in! (Batting eyelashes) Take it easy on me just a little ole newbie.

As you can see I cleaned up this little naked mole rat, but he had to have just one last green jello shot.

As far as Christmas costumes, some would consider this ugly but I rather fancy The Nightmare Before Christmas look.

I hope this is close enough for the nuclear war film.

I rather enjoyed the polishing. Here's the boots
and the dagger.

As for going to You Tube for a video, I am stuck with dial up...will you forgive me?

Now on to the food requests. I got a little carried away and added some egg nog - hope that's all right.

I decided on this miniature, but I rather liked the paint job, so I just gave it a clear coat to keep it nice.

Oh yes, the propositioning! Oh MapleLeaf, you are the shining tinsel on this forum. You wanna go build a snowman with me? Afterwards we can warm up drinking hot chocolate and "Rockin' around the Christmas tree".

I really hope all that turned out. [Confused]
Anything else oh wise ones?

sparklygirl

--------------------
Few things are harder to put up with than a good example. -- Mark Twain
_ _______________________________ _

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
curlygirl
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 219 posted      Profile for curlygirl   E-mail curlygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Newbies.

Kitten a quicker way to do the linking thing is to use the 'Full Reply Form'. It also has shortcuts for bold, italics, quoting etc.

Now for your next task, list as many snopesters as you can find with screen names similar to your own (or part thereof). Sparkly you've got a head start on that one [Wink]

--------------------
"let them eat cake...and toast...and waffles...and cookies, don't forget the cookies"

Posts: 507 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sparklygirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklygirl   E-mail sparklygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooo, that sounds like a big task curlygirl. Will work on it tomorrow when the kids go back to school (we had a big snow and they've been out for a while).

Hey, doesn't a pirate usually show up in the initiation threads? I was all set for a pirate.

sparklygirl

--------------------

Posts: 34 | From: SW Missouri | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
Originally posted by sparklygirl:
Oh yes, the propositioning! Oh MapleLeaf, you are the shining tinsel on this forum. You wanna go build a snowman with me? Afterwards we can warm up drinking hot chocolate and "Rockin' around the Christmas tree".
sparklygirl

[Obligatory cheesy line]I would build a snowman with you - but you're just too hot. All the snow would melt.[/Obligatory cheesy line]

Nice stuff [Smile]

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

sparklygirl

quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
[Obligatory cheesy line]I would build a snowman with you - but you're just too hot. All the snow would melt.[/Obligatory cheesy line]

Nice stuff [Smile]

Thank you MapleLeaf. Even obligatory cheesy lines are nice. [Smile]
Sparklygirl

--------------------

Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How would I find out the other snopesters' names? I did the initiation last month (one of the two who did the anagrams, hah!) but I just popped in to see what's going on in here now. Sounds like fun.

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CSGirl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSGirl   E-mail CSGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just found this, and figured this was an appropriate place to put it. Naked mole rat pictures? Booooring. I bring you: naked mole rat cam!

--------------------
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.
-House MD

Posts: 114 | From: Glastonbury, CT / Houghton, NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

CSGirl,
That is a fantastic link!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages