snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Things you wish you could have seen... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Things you wish you could have seen...
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. The Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus.

2. The Oval Cricket Ground, 29th August, 1882. (As long as I was not the one who died through excitement or the one who chewed through the handle of his brolly.)

3. Athens in its pomp.

4. The Tower of London, 1485, to prove that Richard III did murder those dear little princes (or at least order them to be killed).

5. York in 1472. The Minster has just been completed and the city would be bedecked in churches and monasteries galore.

6. The Battle of Hastings, 1066.

7. The trenches of france, 1916. (Something I feel I should experience.)

8. The Dambusters Raid.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
Ireland before "The Troubles."

So, when is this period?

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nirvana at the Opera House in Toronto -- their first concert after Nevermind was released.

Alas, I was 14 at the time, and a Pentecostal, so it was not meant to be.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
quote:

So, when is this period?

Pogue

Way, way, way back. Before the division. Come to think of it, I suppose even in the time of Brian Boru and before there was trouble, as there was and still is all over the world, but I think you know what I meant - before the "Troubles," not before there was trouble - the Ireland of my dreams. This is, after all, a fantasy thread, so let me imagine.

Edited to add quote because Canuckie posted between Pogue and me. [Wink]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Me too" on the moon landing.

Star Wars episodes 4-6 in a theater, when they were first released.

Jimmy Hendrix, Zed Zepplin, and Pink Floyd concerts.

A meeting of the Homebrew Computer Club circa 1976.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to have seen the Alexandrian Library!

Also, I'd love to have seen dinosaurs - wonder what colors they were?

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dewey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dewey   E-mail dewey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish that I had gone to Woodstock with my friend.

I wish that I had seen that Robertson Davies was giving a book reading in Boston shortly before he died. I would have gone to that.

I still wish that I could take a Linguistics course at MIT from Noam Chomsky.

I'm glad I went to a lecture by Hunter Thompson before he died.

dewey

Posts: 2413 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
serarose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serarose   E-mail serarose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
- Nick Cave in concert (haven't been able to see him yet)

- Dorothy Parker at the Algonquin Round Table

-Marie Antoniette at Versailles circa 1775

--------------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning- Einstein

Posts: 290 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, good one, dewey, I hadn't thought of book readings! I'd have loved to have heard Charles Dickens reading A Christmas Carol.

There are tons of performances I'd love to have seen besides the ones I named: Louis Armstrong, Johnny Cash, Rosemary Clooney, Nat "King" Cole, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, The Eagles, Sinatra, U2 ... my musical tastes are rather ecclectic, aren't they? Besides music, there'd be Martin & Lewis, Abbott & Costello, Laurence Olivier in any Shakespearean play, and a host of others.

I'd also have loved to have seen plays and movies before they were well-known. It would have been great to have seen Psycho without knowing all the twists long before I saw it. Or Casablanca, Citizen Cane, or The Maltese Falcon. It would have been great to see plays like The Music Man, Jesus Christ Superstar, A Chorus Line, Cats, and Les Miz before knowing half the songs and having a good idea what was coming.

And events! Monteray Pop, Woodstock, Chicago World's Fair, Paris World's Fair. (I remember watching the moon landing though. That was amazing.)

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The coronation of Napoleon (and I'd want to be in the David painting, too).

The specific day or days in the early 1600's in England and the early to mid 1800's in Sweden when my various ancestors decided to emigrate. I'd like to know more about why each person or family group made their decisions.

For that matter, the day in April 1870 when my great-grandfather's first wife and their two children drowned in the Minnesota River near Carver. I want to know how it happened.

Any of the Marx Brothers' vaudeville or Broadway shows. And Jolson in his prime.

The writing of the Constitution of the United States of America, and the Bill of Rights. There are some questions I'd like to ask.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only interrupted this thread until now, so here goes;

The end of WWII in 1945. (The relief would sustain a generation)

Martin Luther King's speech in Washington in 1963.(Words fail me to measure the significance)

Brazil v Italy 1970, 4-1 at the Mexico world cup
(As a ten year old I was allowed to stay up to watch it on TV - what would it have been like to watch it live?)

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really like this thread. I think to more than half of the suggestions, I've thought "me too." Here are my additions.

-my parents when they were young

-the building of the pyramids in Egypt

-some of the speeches or lectures of Socrates

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kch8021
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kch8021   E-mail kch8021   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My things are on a more personal level.

I wish I could meet my Grandfather, he left my Grandmother with 5 kids, in 1930. I want to see if he is the bastard everybody says he was. His name was Walter Kuzens, he was born 1894, in Lithuania. If somewhere out there, knows where he is buried, let me know. Email is bl76km81@aol.com

I wish I could go back, and encourage my mother to leave my father when I went into the Army. He was abusive, and maybe leaving him would extended he life, at the very least she would have had 8 years of peace, she died in 1981 of a heart attack. I miss her.

Posts: 87 | From: Burlington, Iowa | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 210 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:
Originally posted by Towknie:
The landing at Roswell, NM

I knew (RIP) someone who was there...

For me, one such "coulda" moment was in college, we were going to see this band in bar in Tulsa that people said would be going places. I decided it was not worth it, and so the whole trip didn't happen.

The band was U2. In a bar. In Tulsa.

Back in 1983, my aunt Patricia got U2 tickets, and invited a friend to go. He declined, because there was another concert he wanted to go to that night. His quote - "Why do I have to go see a stupid band that will last five minutes when I could go see Def Leppard?"

My wishes.

The Red Sox in 1967.

All my favorite jazz musicians at their prime, with emphasis on Grant Green, Charlie Parker, and Miles Davis.

Chaucer's time, so I can make him tell me a story.

One of Dylan Thomas' poetry readings.

Sister "and maybe something else later" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have liked to see our first daughter being born.

I would have liked to see my University graduation convocation.

Away from the personal ones:

- the surrender of Louis Riel. (the creation of a hero/villain)
- the rift between WLM King and GG Byng. (the establishment of Canadian interests versus monarchial interests)
- the House of Commons for the declaration of war on 10 Sep 1939. (the biggest step towards full nationhood)

Those are the things that I think would have an impact on my life, rather than just be interesting.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
quote:

So, when is this period?

Pogue

Way, way, way back. Before the division. Come to think of it, I suppose even in the time of Brian Boru and before there was trouble, as there was and still is all over the world, but I think you know what I meant - before the "Troubles," not before there was trouble - the Ireland of my dreams. This is, after all, a fantasy thread, so let me imagine.

Edited to add quote because Canuckie posted between Pogue and me. [Wink]

I think the correct answer may be "before the Irish." [Wink]

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm gonna start recently and go back farther than anyone else (I think) and say:

The Moon Landings.
The first A and H bomb tests.
Tunguska.
The dinosaur-killer.
The impact that formed the Moon.
Solar Ignition.
The Big Bang.
The Singularity just before the Big Bang.

Okay, so I like explosions.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to have seen the inside of Studio 54 with Minneli, Halston, Chic, Bianca Jagger et al at its decadent height.

Also, Hollywood in the 20s/30s - just to wander around amongst the various backlots, watching the stars and the film Industry during its most exciting period.

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zekaille
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zekaille     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for starting this thread...I'm getting all teary eyed just reading it.

My wish list includes a lot that's already on here, but what the hey-

Personal Stuff:

-I would have paid more attention to a lot of the things I did with my parents--traveling out west and so on. Now I'm trying to put together itineraries of what we did and where we went and I can't remember it all.

-My maternal grandparents' first meeting and to talk to my grandmother who died three years before I was born. (My mother was convinced that I might be her reincarnation.)

-My parent's first and second date. The way my mother told it, they were both a laugh riot.

Debated Mysteries:

-I'd want to be a fly on the wall the day the murders took place at the Borden Household in Fall River

-Likewise, I would like to be able to get into the cab with Judge Crater just to learn what his fate was. (I want to get OUT of the cab alive, well, and whole, BTW)

-Dudleytown, CT, in its heyday before the "curse" turned it into a ghost town

History:

-I'd like to see/hear Helen Keller's speaking engagements and I would like to shake Annie Sullivan's hand.

-Florence Nightengale in action. (She was my hero lo those many years ago.)

-Ditto Clara Bow.

-The Continental Congress putting together the Declaration

-Ida B. Wells addressing any and all kinds of injustice.
-Rosa Parks' refusal to go to the back of the bus.

Arts and Entertainment:

-I'd like to have attended a meeting of the Inklings and heard C.S. Lewis reading from the Narnia books.

-The premier of Pictures at an Exhibition.

-Any reading given by M.R. James

-Mary Martin on Broadway in The Sound of Music or
South Pacific. Ethel Merman in Gypsy. (I saw Bernadette Peters, and she was great, but she just wasn't Ethel.)

And oh, so many more that will occur to me after I log off.

--------------------
"Oh, you're nothing but two ears and a hat!"--my (then) 4 year old niece, following an argument with her uncle

Posts: 100 | From: Bridgeport, CT | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to go back and see Flanders and Swann performing live.

--------------------
"Do not dance on the sand"

Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Secretariat's Belmont race. There just aren't horses like that anymore.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
concerts:
Ramones at CBGBS
Talking Heads concert that was made into the film Stop Making Sense
Ziggy Stardust

other stuff:

Vivenne Westwood and Malcom Mclaren's Sex Shop
Andy Warhol's art exhibitions (with him present)

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
I'm gonna start recently and go back farther than anyone else (I think) and say:

The Singularity just before the Big Bang.

Okay, so I like explosions.

Where would you place yourself?

I think that one would be beyond even your powers!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
U.T. Raptor
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for U.T. Raptor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The megafauna circa the last ice age. So many interesting animals wiped out so recently...

Also dinosaurs.

--------------------
"Elly: Oops, I'm a damsel in distress now. Better scream girlishly and all… ahem. EEEK!"

Schwarz: Look, there's three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Ninja way.
Rey: Isn't that the wrong way?
Schwarz: Yup, only stealthier.

Posts: 546 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also would like to see a castrati perform (stolen from Joe Bentley) and I'd like to see the White City of the Chicago Worlds Fair as well (stolen from Beachlife).

I'd like to see the following bands perform in their prime:

* The Doors
* The Talking Heads
* INXS (Because I had the chance in HS but my parents wouldn't let me go, and I'm still miffed.)
* Buddy Holly

And I'd like to have hung out at Andy Warhol's factory at least once, and gotten into Studio 54 in its heyday.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delia Darrow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delia Darrow   E-mail Delia Darrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The contents of the Library at Alexandria (intact)

The death of Julius Caesar

The Missoula Floods

John Lennon performing 'Imagine' and 'Give Peace a Chance'

The events upon which the book of Exodus is based

The activities of the cat-burglar in my house last spring

and, uh, D. Duchovny's most uninhibited sexual performance. WooHoo!

Oh, the shame...

--------------------
Cogito, ergo Dei non est.

Posts: 70 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
The Beatles in concert at the height of Beatlemania.

Me too. I would have liked to have met John and George one last time.

quote:
Bethlehem and the birth of Jesus Christ.

That too.

I would like to see who really killed the Lindbergh baby.

I'd like to see the walls fall down in Jericho.

The parting of the Red Sea.

Jesus healing the ten lepers

Jesus walking on water

The star of Bethlahem

Lot's wife turn into a piller of salt

Who really makes those crop circles.

Billy Holiday singing "Strange Fruit".

Amelia Earhart disappearing, so I'd know what happened.

What really happened to Marilyn Monroe

The Beatles singing in top of Apple studios.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Woodstock 1969. (Just dont drink the water or use the ice)

The Enola Gay returning to Saipan August 6 1945.

Titanic as she set off on her maiden voyage.

Jesus' crucifixion and the wonderful Sunday afterward.

the WTC towers in person.

Lady "many more, but not out to write a book" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon:

the WTC towers in person.

Years ago, I was in NYC, and near the WTC towers, with time to take the elevator to the observation deck, and I didn't do it. Now, I won't be able to truly duplicate the experience.

I'd have loved to have been in Boston when the Sox won the Series in '04, or at any of the three Patriots Super Bowl wins.

In history, I'd have loved to have watched any one of Caesar's battles from a good vantage point.

And, I'd have loved to have been in the room when Gene Roddenberry pitched Trek to the suits at NBC.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages