snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Delimna

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Delimna
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought a new stove a few weeks ago, a flat top, (glass) electric range. Well last night I accidently dropped something on it and the glass broke. I know it won't be covered under manufactuer's warrenty, so I got a price for a repacement cooktop, it's almost as much as the whole stove-$50 less. Now the question is, should I maybe change the story of how it broke so it can be covered under the warrenty?

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't change the story. But unless it was a wrecking ball you dropped, I would think it would be covered--don't people drop all kinds of things on stoves all the time?

Meanwhile, why do people put an N in dilemma? Does anyone actually pronounce it that way? We've discussed this at some point. I wish I could remember the context.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you sure it's not covered? You might be surprised. I'd say tell the truth but stress that it wasn't much that dropped and that you were real surprised that something so small could create so much damage.

Beach...swears by gas stoves with open flames...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang, remind me never to buy a glass top stove. I drop things on ours (NOT glass top) all the time. If that is all it takes to break one, that would be a deal breaker (ha ha) for me...

Keep us posted.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Delimna?

quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Are you sure it's not covered? You might be surprised. I'd say tell the truth but stress that it wasn't much that dropped and that you were real surprised that something so small could create so much damage.

Agreed. I once broke the USB port on my digital camera by inserting the cable too hard. I took it into the store to see how much it would cost to repair. They said they'd try to get it covered under warranty. It worked.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When you get your new glass-top, please baby it. Read the instructions carefully, and use only high quality pans with no hot-spots.

My first glass stovetop cracked when I was boiling water in a cheap Revereware stock pot. It heated unevenly, and rocked a bit. I heard a loud pop, and thought it was just the metal pan reacting to the heat, but it was my stovetop It had a crack that went across two burners.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
When you get your new glass-top, please baby it. Read the instructions carefully, and use only high quality pans with no hot-spots.

My first glass stovetop cracked when I was boiling water in a cheap Revereware stock pot. It heated unevenly, and rocked a bit. I heard a loud pop, and thought it was just the metal pan reacting to the heat, but it was my stovetop It had a crack that went across two burners.

What is the advantage of a glass top? I'm guessing that it's real easy to clean. I can't imagine having a cooking appliance that needs to be babied. When I'm in a cooking frenzy I do a lot of banging around. I think I'd surely break it in the first few months.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm curious about the occasional use of N in dilemma as well. I have actually heard people (my father) pronounce it that way but he seemed to be joking. Now I wonder what the joke was in reference to.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you Beach, baby a stove? With all the cooking I do? Not on your life. It needs to be hard wearing.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...What is the advantage of a glass top? I'm guessing that it's real easy to clean. ...

I think that's it. Also, there is extra counter space in a pinch (especially heat-resistant counter space).

Our house that we moved into a couple of years ago has a stove top like that. I must confess that I wasn't aware that are they particularly fragile, so I haven't been taking any special precautions when cooking. I guess I prefer it to the type of electric stove that has exposed heating elements, but I still prefer a gas range if I have a choice.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Beach...swears by gas stoves with open flames...Life!

Yeah I called them and as soon as I said something dropped on it she said immediatly(sp?)it wasn't covered, didn't ask any details or anything, just nope not covered. I will try to call back, I was so upset I guess I wasn't thinking.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about your homeowners policy (which probably has a deductable of $1000, so might not be much more help, but, hey, it was worth a shot)?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you call the store or the manufacturer? Seems to me that almost anything short of abuse would qualify it for repair/replacement under warranty, especially something apparently so fragile. If not, get ahold of a consumer bureau or your local attorney general. It's BS to not replace something you've had only a few weeks.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We bought a glass top stove when we moved into our house 5 years ago. I can't say we are any more careful with it than we were with conventional stoves. We've had no issues with it, for the most part. After turning a burner off, someone left a plastic spatula partially on the hot spot, which melted. After we got it cleaned up, we noticed a big chip out of the surface where it had melted.

Yes, definately easier to clean and good for extra counter top space if you aren't using all the burners. You can cook on the front burners & keep stuff on the back (if you're careful).

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages