snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » What states have you visited? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What states have you visited?
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ILS:
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
That would be Vermont unless they forgot to tell me something [Wink] [Big Grin] .

I always get those backwards unless I really think hard about it.
I remember back when I had to memorize all the states back in 8th grade, the trick I used to differentiate NH from VT was that Vermont is shaped like a "V".

Don't ask me how I can still remember that after all these years...

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

create your own personalized map of the USA
or check out ourCalifornia travel guide

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 505 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Only a few more to go!

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since we're also doing countries now, why the heck not? [Smile]

-

create your own visited country map
or check our Venice travel guide

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I've only loosely, timidly wrapped my arms around this country. Like hugging an uncle who molested you in your youth.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
I've only loosely, timidly wrapped my arms around this country. Like hugging an uncle who molested you in your youth.

Dude! YOMANK, you sick NFBSK! [lol]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Granted, I only counted the states I remember visiting, and I did not count the ones of which I've only seen the airport.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

or write about it on the open travel guide

No point in doing a world map for me...the only place I've been outside of the U.S. is Germany. Add England if you count airports.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I'm sure that I missed one or two more states.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not a map of places I have visited. This is a map of places I would LIKE to visit someday...

create your personalized map of europe
or check out our Barcelona travel guide

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
foglifter
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foglifter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

create your own personalized map of Canada
or check out ourVancouver travel guide
(And I call myself Canadian? I deserve a slap on the wrist.)

Posts: 88 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TeacherLady:
I love this!! I teach Geography and I do a similar assignment with my students. They have to color a map-using different colors- with all the states they've lived in, all the states they've visited and the ones they have just passed through. Sometimes I'm amazed at how well traveled some of my 8th graders are...and I'm also amazed at how little some of them have traveled. Some of them will only have our state colored. Seems kinda sad to me!

I agree that it is sad sometimes how many kids have never been out of their home state or more than an hour or two away. I had some friends growing up whose only trip out of state was to Six Flags over Texas, a 3 hour drive. The fact that I had actually been to Washington DC & California as a child was amazing to some of my classmates.
My kids have traveled much more than I had at their age but they are still slackers compared to some of their classmates. OTOH, I have a few child relatives whose travel experiences are little more than a few weekend trips to a neighboring state or two.
We're going to add 2 more states to their calendars this next summer & possibly (very remote possibility) a European country.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
USA-Mick66
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 16 posted      Profile for USA-Mick66   Author's Homepage   E-mail USA-Mick66   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I travel... A LOT! [Smile]

-

--------------------
Remember... amateurs built the Ark... professionals built the Titanic...

Posts: 118 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I slept in:
 -

-

I need to travel more. Someday, I'll do a cross-country trip.

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

But I will soon add Louisiana to the list.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Schpadoinkle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Schpadoinkle   E-mail Schpadoinkle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

or check our Venice travel guide

Doesn't look real impressive....
I've gotta start visiting bigger countries!

Posts: 26 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 604 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not made it out of Europe (yet).

Create your personalized map of Europe

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

Half the states down, half to go.

I've only been in North America, internationally, though. [Frown]

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Archie2K:
I think it's going to be news to be the people of the Alend Is. that they are now considered part of Sweden.

They are called the Åland Islands.
quote:

Though a friend studying Scandinavian history tells me that the Alend Islanders have switched nationality between Sweden and Finland numerous times in the past depending on which would be most beneficial.

Totally grasped out of thin air. From the earliest days when nations first started forming until 1809 present day Finland, of which Åland is an autonomous part, was just the Eastern half of the Swedish realm. Between 1809 and 1917 Finland was a Grand Duchy within the Russian empire.

After Finland gained independence there were discussions wether Åland should remain Finnish or join with Sweden. Although there was a petition where 96% of the signees stated that they wanted to join Sweden it remained Finnish and the present population are quite happy with that.

quote:
ULTRAGUPPY:
I think the little blob of red on the southeast shore of the Baltic might be White Russia? Does that still belong to Russia?

That little blob is the Kaliningrad area and is part of Russia.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

or check out our Barcelona travel guide

I must admit I took the lliberty to include states wher I've just spent time at airports (five hours at O'Hare is boring!) or just passed through by train.

--------------------

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are my wanderings.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

And for a closer look on Europe:

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at Don Enrico's map I noticed that not only has Finland lost Åland to Sweden. They have also annexed the islands off the Estonian coast, Hiiumaa and Saaremaa (or Dagö and Ösel to use their Swedish names, the population there were Swedísh speakers until most of them fled to Sweden after the Soviet takeover).

--------------------

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is pretty close...

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's that "not in scale" state south of Hawaii, by the way? The 51st state?

Let me [fish]

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I've added any new countries since last time we did this, even though I've been to a few new places in some of those countries.

-

(Not including airports or countries I might have been through on trains while asleep.)

North America wouldn't look so impressive if broken down by state / province - I've only been to Hawaii and British Columbia.

Maybe next time I'll have managed that trans-Siberian trip to Japan and most of Asia will be red.

(eta my Europe map:)

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I am going to knock out New England next summer! [Razz]

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

I need to do that New England trip at some point also.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deep Blue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deep Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

or write about it on the open travel guide

This is everywhere I have been this year.
In March, my boyfriend (Mike) and I went to Baltimore to pick up my new truck. (1968 Chevy C10)
In April we took the motorcycle down to Charleston for the Heritage Motorcycle Rally. It was Mike's birthday, and Lynard Skynards was playing, so I got tickets for his gift.
In May, we went to Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands National Park on the motorcycle.
In June we went to Southern IL to Hog Rock River Rally. (Again, on the bike)
In August I went to Connecticut for work and took my kids to Wisconsin for a vacation.
In October, Mike and I took a trip to Tennessee with another couple (on bikes) as they were thinking of moving down there.

I have lots of pictures, if anyone is interested [Big Grin]

Posts: 159 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages