snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » What states have you visited? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What states have you visited?
patriot1
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patriot1   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

create your own personalized map of the USA

I work as an office manager for a traveling carnival company, http://www.wadeshows.com so I have plenty of chances to visit quite a few states, as our route (three complete units in the Spring and Summer, two in the Autumn) stretches out quite a bit. Great to visit other states besides my home state of Michigan and the show's home state of Florida (north of Tampa). Thanks for posting this cool link!

--------------------
"Pray....one for another." JAMES 5:16 NKJV

Posts: 26 | From: Wayne, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

or check out ourCalifornia travel guide

Whee! Countries next. If I touched foot in 'em, I'm counting 'em! Makes me look MUCH more cosmopolitan than I am. [lol]

ETA: Here are the countries. This is a bit disingenuous, since Hong Kong is apparently considered part of China now, so it makes it look like I've visited much more than I have. But look at how much mroe thre is to explore!

create your own visited country map
or check our Venice travel guide

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I included Michigan, but my only experience with that state is a brief stay in the Detroit Airport. Same for Kentucky... only a trip to the Cincinnatti Airport.

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

That's two cross-country drives, a trip up the (west) coast, visiting the grandparents in Virginia and various vacations with the family around New England. So many I still haven't gotten to yet; I'd love to visit Alaska and Montana.

Max "I ain't been everywhere, man" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Whee! There are still a good number of states I haven't hit yet, but want to.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I have actually been to Idaho, but I don't count it because it was only for half an hour or so on the very edge. I did try to at least stop for a cup of coffee, which I felt would lend some legitimacy to the whole thing, but the only shop I passed on the road was closed down. Not just closed, but closed down. I've also had an airplane layover once in Alaska, but IMO layovers don't count.

States I've lived in:

That includes six years in DC, which you can't really tell from looking at the map.

Canada:

create your own personalized map of Canada
or check out ourVancouver travel guide

The world:

I actually have been to a few other countries in Europe as a baby, but I don't count those because I don't remember them. I'm planning on adding Spain and Portugal to the list next month.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where I've visted:

Where I've lived:

US States I've visted:

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

DW and I hope to eventually take a road trip which should take care of the southern ones, but North Dakota is going to be hard to ever take care of, since, no offense to ND, but I can't see any reason for me to ever go there.

Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
US:
 -
Florida when I was 8, and rest were this Summer's driving adventure. Basically, I-95 from New Jersey to Virginia. You can pick up some good radio stations on that route.

World:
 -
I'm willing to bet that I'm the only one who got Greenland. Disappointed at further lack of European travel though considering how near it is. Might change after my pan-Scandanavian adventure.

In my defence, I have visited five of the Spanish islands as well as the mainland. Holidays to Spain are just so cheap and convinient.

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
USA:

-

Michigan is on a technicality, as I had a layover in Detroit airport (there was a delay, possibly because it was on the same day that JFK Jr's plane crashed).

Canada:
 -

I spent 5 weeks in Canada with the Scouts. We started in Ontario (Sarnia, to be exact) and headed east, before returning to Ontario to fly home. This summer, my mother and I went to Canada, starting in Sarnia again, but heading west (via plane, thus missing Manitoba).

Europe:
 -

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

-

I've driven through or lived in all these states. No touchdowns on air planes. Though TX was a touchdown for a long time, until I drove from OK to CA moving my MIL.

-

I'm not sure what the red splotch is on the southeast coast of the Baltic. But I've never been there. It seems to be a program glich. Or else it belongs to one of the countries I have visited.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's going to be news to be the people of the Alend Is. that they are now considered part of Sweden. Though a friend studying Scandinavian history tells me that the Alend Islanders have switched nationality between Sweden and Finland numerous times in the past depending on which would be most beneficial.

Incidentally my US map looks pathetic and I include states I just drove through. Delaware - The Pointless State.

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We didn't go to Alend. We didn't even get out of Skåne.

I think the little blob of red on the southeast shore of the Baltic might be White Russia? Does that still belong to Russia?

I love it. One little click because we've been to St. Petersberg and Novgorod, and I get to claim 1/5 of the planet. Bwahahahaha!

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Europe...

Wow, I've visited more of europe than I realised looking at that map !! Some of them were only a day trip from a nearby country though, which makes me look much more well travelled than I am [Big Grin]

USA...

I went on a holiday to the States with my family when I was 17, flew to San Francisco, hired a car, and went all over the place spending 2 nights at each stop over.

Scout

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to drive out to visit family in California every couple of years, and then down to family in Florida and Virginia a couple of times. These have all been states I've lived in, actually visited or at least driven through.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

If I were to count states where I have only been in the airport, I could add Minnesota, Illinois, and Texas.

ETA the European countries I've visited. I've been to Samos, and I get to claim all of Greece - cool!

create your personalized map of europe

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I seem to have missed some [dunce] (literally, not in making my map - it just looks odd seeing them all put this way)

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

quote:
I think the little blob of red on the southeast shore of the Baltic might be White Russia? Does that still belong to Russia?
It's Kaliningrad which is an exclave of Russia.
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Much of this comes from cross-country road trips with my parents, and attending science fiction conventions as an adult.

I think it's neat that I get credit for all of Russia when I've only been to St. Petersburg!

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Airports don't count [Wink]

I've never really explored the part of the US between coasts. Don't really plan to either. A cross country drive would be intolerable. I can barely tolerate more than an hour driving.

I would like to see more of the world though. So far I've only been to Western Europe, and even there only a few times. Once in a world competition in the Netherlands, once biking through the Loire valley for a couple weeks, and once skiing in the French alps with day trips to Switzerland and Northern Italy.

-

-

-

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wee! I love this meme. [Smile]

States:

Provinces:

ehh, countries need some work:

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

My countries one was really pathetic (Canada, US & Mexico) so I didn't even bother.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saint Gryphon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint Gryphon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BringTheNoise:
USA:

Michigan is on a technicality, as I had a layover in Detroit airport (there was a delay, possibly because it was on the same day that JFK Jr's plane crashed).

Looking at your USA map I would have put money on you living in East TX or the Sheveport, LA Area.

--------------------
Defender of dragons and slayer of fair maidens

Posts: 83 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comparatively, I'm prety lame.

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TeacherLady

Icon 19 posted      Profile for TeacherLady         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

I love this!! I teach Geography and I do a similar assignment with my students. They have to color a map-using different colors- with all the states they've lived in, all the states they've visited and the ones they have just passed through. Sometimes I'm amazed at how well traveled some of my 8th graders are...and I'm also amazed at how little some of them have traveled. Some of them will only have our state colored. Seems kinda sad to me!

--------------------
KB

It is not enough to have a good mind;
the main thing is to use it well.
-Rene Descartes

Posts: 12 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TeacherLady

Icon 09 posted      Profile for TeacherLady         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

I love this!! I teach Geography and I do a similar assignment with my students. They have to color a map-using different colors- with all the states they've lived in, all the states they've visited and the ones they have just passed through. Sometimes I'm amazed at how well traveled some of my 8th graders are...and I'm also amazed at how little some of them have traveled. Some of them will only have our state colored. Seems kinda sad to me!

Sorry for the duplicate post!! I don't know how that happened [dunce]

--------------------
KB

It is not enough to have a good mind;
the main thing is to use it well.
-Rene Descartes

Posts: 12 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very cool!

28 states so I still have some work to do [Wink]

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's interesting how many people have been to both Washington and California, but have skipped Oregon. Do we smell funny or something? [Razz]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

I'm a total Western boy, now in Illinois for some reason.

ETA: Somehow I forgot Wisconsin, despite the fact that I spent a week working the Oshkosh Air Show. Perhaps I just blocked it from my memory.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mystic burrito
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mystic burrito     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

About half of those were just driven through on the way to somewhere else. My world map is sadly lacking as I have only been to the U.S. and Canada, but I hope to be adding Australia to that list in 2008. *crosses fingers* Come on study abroad scholarship.

Posts: 135 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages