snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Burglarized?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Burglarized?
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 02 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen the word 'burglarized' used a couple of times recently here. I was wondering, is it actually a recognised word? We say 'burgled'- to me, burglarized sounds like you're joking about being burgled.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad you brought it up, as it bothers me a lot (I ran out of the thread in Rantidote screaming). I wonder if someone who "burglarizes" would be a "burglarizer".
Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Llewtrah posted a pretty thorough explanation of burgled vs. burglarized in that thread in Rantidote.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, sorry- I only read a couple of posts before I went for a shower, and I just realised that I didn't finish it.

OK nevermind!! [fish]

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Lainie.

--------------------
"Do not dance on the sand"

Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unhappy_buffalo
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappy_buffalo   E-mail unhappy_buffalo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/burglarized

--------------------
[IMG]http://sevenelevenclan.org/users/unhappy_buffalo/Unhappybuffalo2.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 42 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Llewtrah posted a pretty thorough explanation of burgled vs. burglarized in that thread in Rantidote.

(Which you may or may not agree with, but it was written for a newsletter)

BACK-FORMATIONS AND NOUN-VERBS

The noun "burglar" entered the English language first. Unlike many nouns ending in "-er" and "-or", it was not related to a verb. Next came "burglary", the crime commited by a burglar (stealing from a property). In the 19th century, there arose a need for a verb less cumbersome than the construction "to commit [an act of] burglary". In the UK, the verb "burgle" was back-formed from "burglar". At around the same time in America, "burglarize" was formed.

Both verbs were created by back-formation of a noun, but in British English back-formation is often performed by removing a suffix from a noun, while in American English, back-formation is performed by adding a suffix to a noun.

In American English, the rather cumbersome "burglarize" is preferred (and is about 30 times more common in print) and purists object to "burgle" because they view it as back-formation while "burglarize" uses a regular rule (regular, that is, in American English). In fact both verbs come from a noun and both were therefore back-formations.

In the UK, "burglarize" is objectionable, indeed the habit of "verbing nouns" using "-ize" is considered objectionable. "Burgle" is preferred in the UK because it follows the regular rule travel/traveller, garden/gardener hence burgle/burglar.

In American English, "burgle" is more often used in a facetious or jocular manner. Conversely, native British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
Conversely, native British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything.

Such as in al-yew-min-ee-um and jag-yew-ar? [Eek!]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Too funny, Four Kitties! I remember Colin Mochre making fun of al-yew-min-ee-um on the English "Whose Line." Of course, on the American "Whose Line" Colin is made fun of for all the Canadian pronouciations he makes. Silly Canuckian! [Smile]

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:
Conversely, native British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything.

The omission of syllables and of the letter "u" is considered laziness. I'm sure this "literacy problem" will be added to the next version of the "Declaration of the Revocation of Independence" [lol] . Terminology such as kerb/curb, bonnet/hood, boot/trunk will also be corrected when Her Maj takes over. Maybe we will introduce corporal punishment in schools in order to beat our terminology, spellings and pronunciations into you [Big Grin] *Llewtrah swishes her school cane in readiness*

Oddly enough, this reminds me of the Xerox-lore/email about revised spelling where the end result is faux-German (Ve haf vays of making you talk like us)

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

The omission of syllables and of the letter "u" is considered laziness.
Where is the syllable that we're supposedly leaving out of a-lu-min-um? Do Brits spell it with an extra vowel?

And the "u" in jaguar is not omitted. The "u" and "a" are pronounced together as a dipthong. [Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Where is the syllable that we're supposedly leaving out of a-lu-min-um? Do Brits spell it with an extra vowel?

Yes.

(awaits posting of the evolution of the two words which I can't remember)

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
quote:

Yes.

But we don't spell it that way, so why should we pronounce it that way?

--------------------

Llewtrah

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The omission of syllables and of the letter "u" is considered laziness.

And the "u" in jaguar is not omitted. The "u" and "a" are pronounced together as a dipthong. [Razz]

I meant the omission of "u" in favo(u)r, savio(u)r etc (one of the gripes in one of the many variants of the Revocation).

I can't recall off the top of my head the details of alumin(i)um's spellings, but it goes something along the lines of:

USAnians named it, but Brits wanted the -ium suffix to make it regular with other elements that end in -um.

Alternatively, there is an oft-repeated tale that alumin-i-um was spelled incorrectly on packaging of "aluminum foil" (tinfoil) in the USA. It being to expensive to produce new packaging, this led to it being called aluminun in the USA while the Brits would, of course, never misspell words.

Meanwhile, as one of the world's main producers of the stuff, the Australians apparently don't care how we all spell it, just so long as we keep on buying it from them.

I'm running out of lunchtime so I'll leave it for other Snopesters to confirm or debunk the tales of how alumin(i)um got two spellings and pronunciations. If it isn't already on the ULRP, perhaps it ought to be [dunce] .

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes.

I never said you should. I was answering your question about spelling.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes.

IIRC discussed in Bill Bryson's history of nearly everything...

Bloke that "discovered" "Al" Published paper in Europe using the "English" pronounciation and spelling...

Few weeks or months latter publishes the paper in the US using the US version of pronounciation and spelling (indecisive man)

The difference stuck there!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmISalmon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmISalmon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes.

An explanation of the evolution is here. In effect the "IUM" was adopted because most of the elements ended in "ium" and ALUMIUM was felt to be too unwieldly.

quote:
Derived from the Latin ALUMEN for ALUM (Potassium aluminium sulphate). In 1761 French Chemist Louis-Bernard Guyton de Morveau proposed that ALUMINE for the base material of ALUM. De Morveau was instrumental in setting up a standardised system for chemical nomenclature and often collaborated with Antoine Lavoisier, who in 1787, suggested that ALUMINE was the oxide of a previously undiscovered metal.

In 1808 Sir Humphrey Davy proposed the name ALUMIUM for the metal. This rather unwieldy name was soon replaced by ALUMINUM and later the word ALUMINIUM was adopted by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemists in order to conform with the "ium" ending of most elements. By the mid-1800s both spellings were in use, indeed Charles Dickens commented at the time that he felt both names were too difficult for the masses to pronounce!

The patents of both Hall and Hroult refer to ALUMINIUM and the company Hall helped set up was originally called the Pittsburgh ALUMINIUM Company. It was shortly renamed the Pittsburgh Reduction Company and in the USA the metal gradually began to be known only as ALUMINUM (in 1907 Hall's company finally became the ALUMINUM Company of America). In 1925 the American Chemical Society decided to use the name ALUMINUM in their official publications. Most of the world have kept the I in ALUMINIUM but it is interesting to note that the name for the metal's oxide, ALUMINA has been universally accepted over its more convoluted alternatives, ALUMINE and ALUMINIA.

When I worked with Anglesey Aluminium (Aliwminiwm Mn) it was often pronounced as Al-ee-you-min-ee-um. [Smile]

Sulphur/Sulfur is one that went the other way in that IUPAC adopted the f-word as the official spelling.

--------------------
That Psammead, That Psammead, I do not like that Psammead.

Posts: 234 | From: Calgary, AB, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[...]

I'm sorry to obsess over this, but while I appreciate your writing that analysis, I raised a couple questions about it in the discussion in which it appeared earlier.

My primary concern there with respect to "burglarize" and "burgle" is the assumption that the latter is a British formation and, as such, that it illustrates a British custom regarding making verbs out of nouns. (Especially since the contrast in coinage between "burglarize" and "burgle" was punctuated by the observation that "native British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything.")

(And just because it was written for a newsletter a while ago doesn't mean we can't hold it up for some friendly scrutiny now, does it?)

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non vero, ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And that's why I just say "We wuz robbed".
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
quote:
quote:

[...]

I'm sorry to obsess over this, but while I appreciate your writing that analysis, I raised a couple questions about it in the discussion in which it appeared earlier.

My primary concern there with respect to "burglarize" and "burgle" is the assumption that the latter is a British formation and, as such, that it illustrates a British custom regarding making verbs out of nouns. (Especially since the contrast in coinage between "burglarize" and "burgle" was punctuated by the observation that "native British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything.")

(And just because it was written for a newsletter a while ago doesn't mean we can't hold it up for some friendly scrutiny now, does it?)

-- Bonnie

Indeed not. However, I wish to point out that it was researched at the time of writing. The observations on American vs British verb formations came from reputable published works, but with no need to footnote the article I didn't bother keeping references. The observation of which country formed which verb also came from published sources (dictionaries and linguistic studies) who based this on the first occurrences in print of the 2 forms in the 2 countries so it isn't an assumption, it was taken from research.

Because the article was an "opinion piece" (much like Snopes Rantidote) the common British perception of the American preference for polysyllabism fitted nicely with the researched material, which would otherwise have been too scholarly for the newsletter's irreverent tone.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But you chose to share it here too. And here, we prefer evidence to irreverence.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because the article was an "opinion piece" (much like Snopes Rantidote) the common British perception of the American preference for polysyllabism fitted nicely with the researched material, which would otherwise have been too scholarly for the newsletter's irreverent tone.

This may be a British perception, but I'm wondering if it's true. No doubt there are examples of the American version of a word being longer than the British, but then there are counter examples. Four Kitties mentioned two already, and Americans are likely to use "fall" for "autumn" and "orient" for "orientate".
Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by Glowy Chloe:
But you chose to share it here too. And here, we prefer evidence to irreverence.

I'm sure Google will be your friend. I did my research in the dictionaries section of Chelmsford Central Library. I was supposed to have been working on my thesis, but I somehow got sidetracked (which could explain why I got published in various magazines, but turned in my thesis a year late).

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gale:

Or my (least) favourite

" He woz a thief whot thieved from us".

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Glowy Chloe:

I'm sure Google will be your friend.
I'm curious what you mean here. I once posted on a thread where the burgle/burglarize difference came up, and I posted some of the ideas you had (burgle with a British origin, burglarize with an American origin, both in the 1870s), using the OED as my source.

But Bonny has shown that the OED entries are incomplete for these two words. From some of the remarks you've made, it seems you still agree with the original post you made on the subject. Maybe I'm misreading you, so can you clarify?

Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy
Deck the Malls

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Grumpy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only if you were present at the scene of the crime. A robbery is a violent crime against a person, whereas a burglary simply connotes a break-in to a structure.

It's a common error. I wonder why the still-accurate expression "We wuz thieved!" never caught on.

Posts: 389 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grumpy:
quote:

Only if you were present at the scene of the crime. A robbery is a violent crime against a person, whereas a burglary simply connotes a break-in to a structure.
With intent to commit a felony or a theft within. Otherwise it's trespass.

(In the interest of full accuracy.)

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes.

I never said you should. I was answering your question about spelling.
But I was referring to your ealier comment that:

quote:
the omission of syllables. . .is considered laziness.
Since the syllable doesn't exist in the US spelling of the word, it can't be omitted.

--------------------

Bonnie

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But I was referring to your ealier comment that:

quote:
the omission of syllables. . .is considered laziness.

Actually, I don't think it was Mosherette who wrote that.

Bonnie "back to your regularly scheduled program[me]" Taylor

--------------------

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Never mind, then. My apologies, Mosh.

--------------------

Bonnie

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The observations on American vs British verb formations came from reputable published works, but with no need to footnote the article I didn't bother keeping references.

[Bonnie self-reflects for a moment ... ]

Heck, I'm over-the-top obsessive enough that I footnote things I post here.

Bonnie "op cits attract" Taylor

--------------------

resident deity
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resident deity   E-mail resident deity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
Four Kitties mentioned two already, and Americans are likely to use "fall" for "autumn" and "orient" for "orientate".

"Fall", meaning autumn, is a slightly different case than other British/American differences. "Fall" is the original Modern English word for the season sandwiched betwixt Summer and Winter.

Sometime after the independence of the US and now, we British decided that "Autumn" was better and the US decided to carry on using the original word.

This is similar to US "gotten" (as opposed to "got") and the -ize suffix in US English (we British, with some exceptions, now prefer the more aesthetic -ise suffix).

Posts: 289 | From: Leicester, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by resident deity:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
Four Kitties mentioned two already, and Americans are likely to use "fall" for "autumn" and "orient" for "orientate".

"Fall", meaning autumn, is a slightly different case than other British/American differences. "Fall" is the original Modern English word for the season sandwiched betwixt Summer and Winter.

Sometime after the independence of the US and now, we British decided that "Autumn" was better and the US decided to carry on using the original word.

According to the online dictionary, "autumn" precedes "fall" in English by almost three hundred years.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=autumn&searchmode=none
quote:

This is similar to US "gotten" (as opposed to "got") and the -ize suffix in US English (we British, with some exceptions, now prefer the more aesthetic -ise suffix).

More aesthetic? How so?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages