snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Best/worst english teachers or teachers in general (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best/worst english teachers or teachers in general
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's mine:

best: Tom R. Funny, smart, all around great guy

worst: Karen Levendusky- she was rather lazy, expected us to do stuff without directions, worshiped Ann Raynd. Nuff said

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Best: Grade 7 English, Mr. Walton. Best. Teacher. Ever. He was British and he was elderly (although looking back now I wonder how old he really was when I thought he was 70 - please god not 40!) and he was just wonderful. One example: he read us a chapter or two from Kenneth Robert's "Northwest Passage" not a book most of the kids in my class would have picked up unprompted. The library had so many of us wanting to read the book they had to create a waiting list and limit us to one week each. I loved that man!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst: Every college lit professor who asks me to stay after class, giving me a goddamned aneurysm of panic as I wait for the processional residue to march out the door, leaving me to wonder what insult wiggled between my teeth, only to be asked: "So, do you have an advisor? Do you think you want a career in literature? Have you thought about your glorious future? Do you drink cold coffee? Do you want to move to Russia with me?"

Best: Same professors. *stares off into the glinty sunning horizon* The same goddamned professors... *single tear*

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freshman:
Here's mine:

best: Tom R. Funny, smart, all around great guy

worst: Karen Levendusky- she was rather lazy, expected us to do stuff without directions, worshiped Ann Raynd. Nuff said

But could Ms. Levendusky spell "Ayn Rand?" [lol]

My best teacher was Mrs. Dodds in the seventh grade. I don't recall having a worst one.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My best teacher was Ken Patterson, high school science teacher. He was the stereotypical "half-insane" wild-eyed science teacher. If he had an agent, he could have been like Bill Nye. He was intelligent, funny, sometimes accident prone, and had a way of engaging his students that really got them interested in the subject at hand.

Worst teacher: Mrs. Hollinger, 2nd grade. She was like Mrs. Olsen from the comic strip Frazz. Strict, uncompromising, disciplinarian, and with no sense of humor. How she got by for thousands of years teaching 2nd grade is beyond me even to this day. She did not deviate from the course plan, and did not make exceptions for studen ability. Case in point: over the summer before 2nd grade my mother taught me how to write cursive because I saw her do it and wanted to learn. Fast forward a few weeks... Mrs. Hollinger is about to start teaching us cursive writing. A fellow student points out that I already know how to do it. Feeling proud of myself, I show her the notes I've been taking in cursive. She tears that page out of my notebook, and tells me to write in print because "we haven't learned that yet." [Eek!]

I remain dumfounded, even now some 30 years later...

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quink
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quink   E-mail Quink   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Best: Terence Young. I had him for five different writing/lit courses in grade twelve, including one of the most intense writing classes I've ever been involved in. We turned out some pretty amazing stuff that year, and almost all of us ended up having things published in various places by the end of it. He's pretty connected to several well known Canadian authors, so we some of the best guest speakers/readers during the course as well.

Worst: Oberg in grade 11. I somehow ended up in the regular english class with all the grade twelve students who had failed it the year before and just didn't care. That was what made me go all out on the English classes the following year. Oberg's teaching and testing were incredibly inconsistent, he brought freaky religious content into his lessons, and couldn't seem to figure out what he was doing. We started out by spending three weeks working on analyzing one poem, and then had to cram A Tale of Two Cities into three days at the end. I was so frustrated for the first half of the semester as I was trying to figure out why I just couldn't find the right angle for his assignments. I managed to pull off one paper that he loved, and after that I could have scrawled my shopping list on a page and he would have given me a perfect mark. All I wanted was some proper feedback for my work, and I ended up getting... I don't know. But then, this was the man who 'taught' us Macbeth by renting the movie and fast forwarding through the boring dialogue parts so we could watch the witches burying an arm in the ground over and over again.

Oh, and worst ever? Grade two substitute teacher. I can't remember her name, but she screamed - litereally screamed - at us that our class would be blacklisted and we'd all be forced to drop out because no one would ever teach us again. She taught during our dinosaur unit, and when I asked innocently where the dinosaurs had evolved from (I was very interested in fossils), she slammed a book down on my desk, shouted "GOD made them" and then spent the rest of the class muttering that this is what was wrong with students today. I think that was the moment I decided that religion was not going to be a part of my life, since 'God did it' seemed like such a cop out answer to life's questions.

Posts: 53 | From: Calgary | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Muncle
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Muncle   E-mail Muncle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst: Ms. Weatherby (Now Ms. Lemmon), Grade 5. Taught us:
French - We had four classes the entire year. And we only start in Gr 4. So after a year of learning french, we lose it with her.
Geography - In her atlas, there's four countries in North America. Mexico, USA, Canada, and, you guessed it, Greenland. And none of those smaller ones down south, like Cuba, the Dominican, Costa Rica, etc.
English - Our other Gr 5 teacher read us "Anne of Green Gables" and "The Hobbit." Ms. Weatherby read stuff like "My Teacher is an Alien."
Three years later, my brother had her as well. To this day I hope that she has not been allowed to teach some sort of science lesson, because anybody who took would need to be re-educated.

Best: Either Mr. Savage in Grade 10 or Ms Davison in Grades 11 & 12. Mr. Savage taught French and Film and Video. He was...dynamic. He was interested in students, and always made the class lively and interesting. Ms Davison was possibly the oldest teacher I had had, and she had taught everything from kindergarten to Master's courses. She treated us like we were going into university. She explained a lot of the things about university that we didn't know, like note-taking and seminars. She taught us different books than what was normally given. And she could get you to learn without it seeming like schoolwork. People were complaining that we never learned anything from the class, till we looked back and realized we had done a great deal. Oh, and I can't forget Mr. Cormier: Band teacher Gr 7-12, mentor, friend, probably the reason why I stayed in band to the end, and why I couldn't take it now.

Posts: 69 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Best: Mr. Arnstien, high school Latin. He taught us Latin, and WHY it mattered, and how Roman history and reality related to our own, but also showed us that even stupid dorky people like me mattered. And, he loaned me his leather jacket one day, and had me go get something from his car. That one day, walking through the halls, people noticed me, and didn't pick on me, and...well, I noticed I had power. I should have taken his advice and gotten a leather jacket.

Worst: The physics professor in freshman year of college who had only taught graduate level work before, and so assumed we had all taken physics and calculus before, and wouldn't listen when we said otherwise. And, when asked a question (a very good one, about something he had blown off) spent several minutes insulting the girl who asked, and never answered it. We all learned to never ask him anything.

Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Virulaceous
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virulaceous   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite teacher ever was my college Humanities/Oral Interpretation of Lit/Theater History/Stage Fighting professor, Mr. Stafford. He was an amazing guy, very funny. He always managed to keep his classes interesting, even if sometimes a subject was enough to bore everyone to tears. I was glad that he waited to retire until after I had taken all of his classes possible.

A close second for best would be Mr. Boettcher my college History/Western Civ./American Gov./Political Science/State and Local Gov. professor. His classes may have tended to the easy side, and I nearly killed my hand sometimes taking notes, but he's the reason that I adore history and am actively interested in politics (he used to gripe about how few people voted in local elections, and it sank in so well that I felt quite guilty for not voting this past election. But hey, I was in the ER)

Worst teacher.... I had quite a few teachers who I couldn't stand. Mostly grade school teachers. They were enough that I got fed up with public school, dropped out, got my GED and went to college at 16. The one who comes immediately to mind was a substitute in 5th grade. I can't remember his name right now, but he was bats**t insane. He would walk along our desks and make certain that our feet were lined up just so under our desks, that our hands were resting on the edges of the desk, and that our backs were straight. He would use a ruler to make sure everything was even. Once, he and some boys were discussing football and he made one kid do pushups because he said he didn't like the Broncos.

--------------------
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Posts: 86 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had many good teachers and many bad ones. I think the true definition is teachers who you can still remember, even after having been out of school for so long.

WORST: Count me among the couple of other horrible second grade experiences. Mrs. C. was a nightmare. In fact, I actually had nightmares about her. As an adult too. I never misbehaved in her class, nor throughout elementary school. I can't recall much about second grade, thank GOd. What I do remember is the following year I was in third grade art classs and Mrs. C. came in to get something from the teacher. While the teacher was gone she turned to me in front of the entire class and started to berate me for some reason. I won't go into what she said but I do still recall it. And to this day have no idea why.

BEST: Ironically, this teacher had the same name as the evil 2nd grade teacher (not sure about the first names). Good Mrs. C. (GMC) was my English teacher in 7th grade. I had started to stop caring about grades and school in general, for many different reasons. GMC refused to give up on me. She was supportive, approachable, and kind and I ended up doing very well in her class after a bumpy start.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me - among a lot of good and not so good teachers - pick two:

Best English (as a foreign language) teacher: Herr Blassl, who was funny, witty, taught British English with a Northern England/Borders accent, and spent an entire lesson (2 x 45 minutes) telling us English jokes because "to understand a language, you need to understand jokes in that language". I'm still telling the one about the English mounted border troop and the one lonely bagpiping Scotsman on the hill... [Smile]

Worst German/Literature (native language) teacher: Herr X, who - among lots of other things - made us interpret (as a graded test) a horrible poem ("The Last Song of the Whales") once without telling us the author. He did that not because he wanted us to use our literature skills to determine the time the poem was written (quite obviously the 80s, as you can tell from the title) or something like that. If that would have been the case, he could have told us afterwards - which he refused. No, as we believed at that time and as I am sure still, he wrote the poem himself and did still think that he could give us un-biased grades on our interpretation!

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst. Teacher. Ever.: Mrs. Varney, first grade. Not only a bad teacher, but actually mean and abusive to students. She was infamous in the school district I grew up in. Next worst was my second grade teacher, Mrs. Boyle. A childhood friend and I got a big kick out of her obituary: Noted Educator Dies. Our version was Noted Bullier of Small Children Dies.

Best teacher: Mrs. Shutler,high school honors English, sophomore and senior years. She terrified us the first day by giving us five textbooks, including several books of European literature in translation. We read a short story every night, followed by class discussion and a quiz the next class day. We memorized themed vocabulary lists (Greek architecture is one I recall, inspired by our reading Antigone). We read The Canterbury Tales out loud in Middle English. We tried to read Beowulf in Old English. We wrote a short essay on a topic of our choosing every week. Each student did several independent "units" each year. Each unit required us to read, analyze, and write an in-depth paper about 3-4 long works grouped around a theme. Units I remember include one on gothic literature (Dracula, Jane Eyre, and something else) and one on martyrs (Murder in the Cathedral, Becket, Saint Joan). I've since gotten a bachelor's degree and taken some master's level classes, and I don't think I've had a more rigorous teacher yet.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst teacher ever nominee here: Mrs. Corbett- second grade. When we did the whole "what I want to be when I grow up"- she read mine out loud to the class (she did everyone's but didn't say who wrote what): "I want to join the Army like my dad and be a K-9 MP." (military police). She laughed and said, "You can't do that, Patty! You're deaf in one ear! You're handicapped!" It was the first time I'd been called handicapped. Later in the year, my mother was at the school for something to do with my brother and walked by my class. I was seated away from the rest of the class- in my own little corner. Had I done something wrong? Nope. Mrs. Corbett said she couldn't be bothered teaching someone who "couldn't hear anyway". I was promptly moved back into the class area- but whatever.

Best English teacher: Mrs. Sinclair (10th grade English, Children's Lit, Young adult Lit), Mrs. Owens (American Lit, World Lit), Mrs. Seivert (Individualized Writing, Creative Writing)- I had each one of them for various classes throughout high school. I took a lot of English electives (lit and writing classes as well). I loved those ladies. They actually made learning fun.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Best Teacher Ever: Mr. McMann, Flat Rock High School (upper level math and physics). Aside from being a good educator, he was also a philosopher. His first love was philosophy (he taught it part time at one of the local colleges). He always thought it was more important that we learn to think for ourselves than that we memorize formulas. He also was more than willing to work with students who were having trouble, whether in class or out of it.

A close second to Mr. Ford, my 8th grade English teacher at Osceola Middle School. He was the first one to really encourage me in my writing endeavors.

Worst Teacher of All Time: Mr. H, art teacher at my elementary school. My mom dated him for a few years, which was awkward, especially when he'd call me by my embarrassing family nickname in front of my classmates. Well, on weekends, she would sleep over at his place, and sometimes I would tag along to sleep on the couch rather than staying home with my grandma. Some of these weekends, once my mom was asleep (or passed out drunk, as the case may be), he would come out to the living room and grope my genitals and my nipples. I was scared and pretended to be asleep each time.

A few years after they broke up (for unrelated reasons-- I had never told what happened) and I had gone on to middle school, he was fired for picking up a little boy and throwing him into the wall.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely I must be someone's favourite teacher? [Razz]
Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Best teachers ever...

Fr. Ebenhoeh, Honors and AP Chemistry, Sophomore and Senior years. The guy absolutely loved his work, made chemistry fun (how many moles?), and always had an ear for a student who needed to borrow one. Fascinating guy, and one of the best I've ever had. Passed away in '05, unfortunately.

Sra. Alexander, Spanish II-H and III-H, Sophomore and Junior years. Hard as could be, and I fought like a man possessed for a B-/C+ average. It was all worthwhile, though, when I tested out of Spanish I in college, and aced II-IV.

Mr. Cochran, Honors Physics, Junior year. Spent hours helping me pound the information to make it work, and it all paid off. I got Cs in his class, but aced my year of college Physics.

Worst of all... *drumroll*

Mrs. H, English, HS. Spent ages going over "hidden meanings" in books- when there weren't any to find, assigned 200+ words of vocabulary for Huck Finn (um... why?), and generally hated me.

Dr. S, OChem. Pages of minutae for no effect, dozens of pages of notes that were carefully "disregarded" just before the final, and many tricks where the supposed mechanism was impossible. If you proposed anything, you got a zero- even if what you had could theoretically work!

Dr. L, Biochem. Powerpoint is fine. Not figuring out how to do Powerpoint and just putting your notes on the projector in Print View is not. None of the images showed up, the print was small enough to be worthless, and she couldn't actually speak English.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wondering if anyone had any GOOD second grade teachers? Seems to me they need to change that saying:
Those who can, teach.
Those who can't, teach second grade.

Edited for spelling

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My damned best teacher ever was, surprisingly, PE teacher Year 7-11 (Grade 6-10 I believe). He was just the most terrifying ogre you've ever met to begin with. Strict, uncompromising, with the ominous "Black square" as punishment for major transgressions. Yet he was an excellent teacher of sport and general fitness. Even if you were rubbish as sport, as I was, so long as you tried your hardest you would get a congratulations. Some of my best school memories are that bronze medal in the triple jump and that good rugby tackle in Year 9. As opposed to aceing yet another maths exam.

Can't say for the worst. I've had lots of incompetent teachers but none really stands out as being bad. Guess I was lucky.

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favorite teachers, Mrs S, taught me to really love Enligh lit. My second grade teacher, another Mrs S, was my favorite grade school teacher.

Worst teacher? My high school counselor who told me there was no way I was getting into college with my act score (an average 22.)

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
creative gal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creative gal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst teacher - either Mrs Minton, who taught me in my 2nd year of school and just didn't understand kids... I have vivid memories of her excluding me from a group activity for no real reason... Or Mrs Cass, who I had in middle school... One of the most miserable, least inspiring and sharp tempered teachers I've ever had. And it stands to reason she hated me..

The best is quite difficult, since I've had far more good teachers than bad. Mrs Hanson (yr 4) stands out as the first teacher who truly made an impact. Her lessons were interesting, she was patient and I still have many fond memories of my final year in first school thanks to her. Virtually all my university tutors were great, inspiring, and encouraged active class participation.

Best

--------------------
Come sail your ships around me
And burn your bridges down..

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Hagen, Drummond High School, Drummond Wisconsin. Best. History. Teacher. Ever.

The first day of *snore* US *snore* history *lotsa snores!*, he hits us with, "How many of you know about our founding fathers? Tell me about them..." My eyes started glazing over right then...

Then he hits us with, "Which one locked his mentally unbalanced wife in the basement for decades? Which one bought up over a million acres of the Louisiana Purchase at a penny an acre, just to sell the FREE land to pioneers at three and four cents an acre?"

That caught my attention, and I found that there can be a whole lot of interesting stuff in history!!

Dr. Ng, Cleveland State University, Physics Department. He taught Environmental Physics, could speak only a few hundred words of English, and was so theoretical that you could envision him building Lego strings to represent 4-D objects in 3-D space... But his excitement was infectious and he truly loved physics. I am SO glad he was able to emigrate from Vietnam to become a NASA theoretical physicist - and to be stuck in front of a class with me!! I STILL get excited about physics when I see stuff in action.

Bad teachers? Yeah, I've had them, but I tend to cherry-pick good stuff out of their classes - if nothing else, just to NEVER be like them in front of people!! I had a Junior High English teacher give me an A+ on a paper that I wrote about Helen Keller that was made up the night before and was FULL of horrible factual errors... GLARING things that would be caught if he had actually READ the paper.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Best English teacher? That would definitely had to be my 12th grade English teacher. Single-handedly made me a fan of Shakespeare and writing in general.

Of course, now it seems like I'm discovering that writing isn't exactly one of my best qualities. [Frown]

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite teacher was Mrs. Greeley. She was my teacher for Kindergarden and 4th grade. I guess I really made an impression on her when I could read going into Kindergarden. She would come across old pics of me & send my Ma a letter asking how things were going with me years after I was in her class. She even showed up at my Ma's wake to give her condolences.

I also have a soft spot for Mr. Greene, my 9th grade biology teacher. I had gotten in a bit of trouble that year and spent 10 days in Juvi. Before I went in he pulled me aside after class and told me that he knew about everything that was going on with me, and if I needed anything or needed to talk that he was available. That meant a lot to me. He would also let me (and only me) sleep in class. I would listen to the lectures, read the appropriate chapters in the text books, never do the homework and still ace my tests. So he decided that it was obvious that I was learning, so if I wanted to sleep he'd let me sleep.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
Just wondering if anyone had any GOOD second grade teachers? Seems to me they need to change that saying:
Those who can, teach.
Those who can't, teach second grade.

Edited for spelling

I adored my second grade teacher, for what it's worth. She was so sweet.

quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
The first day of *snore* US *snore* history *lotsa snores!*, he hits us with, "How many of you know about our founding fathers? Tell me about them..." My eyes started glazing over right then...

Then he hits us with, "Which one locked his mentally unbalanced wife in the basement for decades? Which one bought up over a million acres of the Louisiana Purchase at a penny an acre, just to sell the FREE land to pioneers at three and four cents an acre?"

Now THAT is exactly the kind of history teacher I want to be. [Smile]

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moth Drone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth Drone   E-mail Moth Drone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel Nereid:
Worst Teacher of All Time: Mr. H, art teacher at my elementary school. My mom dated him for a few years, which was awkward, especially when he'd call me by my embarrassing family nickname in front of my classmates. Well, on weekends, she would sleep over at his place, and sometimes I would tag along to sleep on the couch rather than staying home with my grandma. Some of these weekends, once my mom was asleep (or passed out drunk, as the case may be), he would come out to the living room and grope my genitals and my nipples. I was scared and pretended to be asleep each time.

A few years after they broke up (for unrelated reasons-- I had never told what happened) and I had gone on to middle school, he was fired for picking up a little boy and throwing him into the wall.

Minstrel, that made me so sad. I hope you're able to come to terms in some way with what happened to you...it was a sexual assault and Mr. H was an absolute bastard to do that to a scared child who only wanted to be near mom. [Frown]

Best: Years later, Mr. Welch was named the top teacher in our state. And he deserved every bit of that praise. I had him for homeroom in seventh grade, probably one of the hardest years to teach -- we're no longer cute little kids and not quite grown up as well. No one else could engage a room full of kids like he could, make us think outside the box and do it all with a little bit of humor and wit. There was one strange kid in our class -- thinking back on it he probably had a major mental illness. As soon as Mr. Welch found out he was being bullied, he sent the kid to the office on some faux mission for him and then sat down with the rest of us. "Look, I know X may seem a little weird. But he's a human being. We all want attention and people to think we're cool. X is just trying the best he can to fit in because he wants to be your friend." Although he in no way became the most popular kid in school, X was treated much better after that speech.

Worst: My economics teach in high school. He told us at the beginning of the school year that if he thinks we're not paying attention in class (however subjective way he deems that) he'll mark us down. If we get three marks by the end of the year in his little book, we fail no matter our final grades. Well for some reason I never figured out, he took a special dislike to me even though I was a very good student, very quiet in class. Months later, he tells me that he's noticed I haven't been paying attention twice -- how he figured that I'll never know, I've answered every question directed at me correctly -- and if he "catches" me doing it again, I can forget about coming back to his class. All the more painful as he announced this in front of the whole class and I was painfully shy back then. Luckily, I never got that third mark. The next test I got 100% answers correct, a feat no other kid in class could match or even come close. I glared at him when I picked my graded test off his desk as if to say "If you fail me, I'm showing this to the princpal and you're going to have to explain how a kid can make such good grades yet still not be paying attention." Yes, it's been almost 25 years ago but I still haven't gotten over it!

Posts: 182 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst: My third-grade teacher, Mrs. Belche. Yes, that was really her name. She was irritable, snapped at kids with little provocation, and had the nerve to call me lazy to my parents. Turned out I wasn't so much lazy as nearsighted and unable to see the blackboard. She once infamously told my dad, "I am not a clown. I am not here to amuse your children." She ended up leaving school in the last quarter when her husband died of complications for diabetes and she had to take care of her three children. I feel kind of bad for her as she had a lot of issues, but mention of her name to my parents still brings loud rants nearly twenty years later.

Best: All of my Career Center teachers for history and English were outstanding, but I one remember the most is Mr. Hierl (again, yes, that's his real name.) He had this huge stick he would bang on desks to emphasize a point, and he had this great thing about not sugar-coating American history. He took perverse delight in all the corrupted bits. My favorite declaration of his was that "All politicans in the Gilded Age were big fat hairy men from Ohio. Except for William Howard Taft, who was a REALLY big fat hairy man from Ohio."

The last day of class, he came in to discover some jokesters had literally wallpapered his classroom in pictures of big fat hairy men from Ohio. He loved it. He's still teaching, incidentally; my sister had him a few years ago and he has not slowed down at all.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Best: Mrs. L, sophmore year of highschool

Worst: Mrs Z, Freshman, Junior, and Senior years of high school. Mrs Z held a grudge against me for the rest of high school when I once had the audacity to tell her in my freshman class that the assignment was "Too easy" (She'd wanted to know how I managed to turn in a book report before class was over). She deliberately held me back out of the Senior Honors English class, claiming that I didn't "mesh well enough". I laughed for the rest of the year when the Senior Honors English Class came to me for tutoring, and told her where they'd gone.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oboechick42
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oboechick42   E-mail oboechick42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst: Mrs. McDonald, 11th grade AP English class...She made the worst tests ever, which would consist of one line of random text from the book we were reading in class and tell us, "Identify this phrase, what happened before, after, and explain its importance to the story." It would always be some random text like, "He sat on the couch, confused." The other thing that upset me the most was her absolute disdain for Kurt Vonnegut. She would say things like, "I didn't know Kurt Vonnegut was still alive," and "I can't read Kurt Vonnegut. I don't 'get' him." What's there to get about the musings of an old midwesterner?

Best: Prof. Holstein, who taught Quest for Human Destiny at the University of Iowa. He was a foul mouthed rabbi. His syllabus even warned about how much he swore in class. When I took Quest 2, every class was him talking about how awesome the movie "Shane" and Ernest Hemingway were.

BTW, I'd like to just say "hi," and hopefully I'll be around posting more for a long time.

OboeChick42

--------------------
"We all have our one great moment in life. If we miss that, life becomes disturbingly easy."
-Douglas Adams

"Nobody wants to kiss somebody who's been infinitely decimated."
-The Ninja from AskaNinja.com on awkward moments during Niniature Golf

Posts: 7 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been fortunate - I think I've had a lot of really good teachers and professors. Some notables ones are Professor Shirley Tastad from Ga State, "Papa" Joe Hendricks and both the Steges from Mercer University. I had a fifth grade science teacher that I absolutely adored for her ability to lead such interesting and far-reaching discussions and it is driving nuts that I can't think of her name.

I've also had a few mediocre teachers and professors to even things out. The absolute worst was Mrs. Traywick at Murphy Candler Elementary. She called students stupid in front of everyone, picked on a friend of mine who had celebral palsy, and taped a student's mouth shut and made him cry. I felt so bad for that student, and most of the time I hated him for picking on me!

If I thought she was still around I'd be tempted to go tell her what a miserable representative of her profession she was. [Mad]

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had an English teacher in junior high school who, it was rumored, wrote sexually graphic novels under a pen name.

I don't know whether that rumor was true (probably it was just a typical schoolkid rumor about a disliked teacher), but this teacher was notorious for arranging her classroom seating by grades. After each exam, she would rearrange the students into an 'A' row, a 'B' row, a 'C' row, and a 'D' row. Students who were not achieving passing grades were put into a back row that she referred to as the "vegetable garden." Students who were not only failing but were, in her opinion, not even trying were seated in a back corner and referred to as "manure."

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It makes me shudder to think of the impact the behaviour some of the teachers mentioned in this thread have had on people. [Frown]

Apart from a couple of three month stints in a primary school in Scotland my mother was my main educator and she was quite frankly crap at it. She used to get teaching packs shipped out from the UK which were supposed to make sure I followed a standard curriculum but I'm pretty sure she barely looked at them. She would start off teaching me something and then say... it's awfully hot dear, shall we not bother? More than happy not to bother I'd scarper off into the bush to grub about for interesting stuff instead.

I was woefully ill equipped when I finally went to something approximating a proper school in Ghana when I was nine. There I encountered the dreaded Mr Brewen who was a sadistic bas*ard of the first order. His punishments were appalling. They included making children stand out in the sun at noon until they fainted... a fate I thankfully escaped. However he did, inevitably, single me out. When I couldn't recite my times tables properly one day he laid horse hairs from his fly swatch across my palm and then took off his leather belt and whipped my hand 'til the hairs cut in and I bled like a stuck pig. I wriggled out of his grip and escaped from the school compound through a hole in the wire fence and ran home.

Fortunately my father (General Melchett lookalike) was there and, beside himself with rage, he set off to the school. He marched into the classroom, ordered the children to remain seated and then without another word picked Mr Brewen up and threw him into the playground before bundling him into the back of his landrover and threatening to shoot him if he moved a muscle. I'll bet he looked like he meant it too. [Eek!]
He delivered him to the military police and I've no idea what became of Mr. Brewen after that but we never saw him again.

As there was no teacher to take over for a while my dear mother, bless her, volunteered to fill in so needless to say I still can't do my times tables very well and there may be a few more of her 'pupils' somewhere who can't either.

Fortunately for me when I went to school in Scotland again when I was thirteen I had some great teachers. My favourite was a woman called Maisie MacDonald who fired our imaginations and helped me to scrape through English literature and Language 'O' levels.
I often marvelled at the way she kept the attention of the boys in my year because a lot of them were disruptive in other classes. On reflection I think it may well have been to do with her being a very attractive thirty something who wore mini skirts and was in the habit of perching on the edge of her desk and crossing and uncrossing her legs every five minutes.
Personally I just loved that she recognised I had a capacity to learn that had never been tapped and she set about making up for some of the deficits in my education. Top woman in my book and I'm eternally grateful to her. Cheers Maisie [Smile]

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The funny thing is, if I say Best Teacher Ever from the standpoint of learning the most in the time allotted and still remembering most of it, it was without question Dr. S, but I was terrified of him and he once made me cry with his harsh response to a perfectly innocent invitation to a party a student organization was having. So while I am glad to have had him and think he is a brilliant instructor, I never want to get near him again.

So that's a best/worst all in one, I suppose.

My favorite instructor was a certain Dr. H. He was playful, always taking on the role of the people he was teaching us about, even debating himself or suddenly (a white, middle aged Catholic, mind you) breaking into a reasonably good rap. And he was fond of us. I am convinced that students will work harder when they believe the teacher really cares about them. He cheered for us when we did well, commiserated with us when we did badly, and did his best to understand us. ("I will talk with you about anything. Except your love lives.") I don't know that I learned more from Dr. H than from any number of other teachers--perhaps, to be fair, even less than many--but it was a lot more fun than the majority could ever hope to be.

My absolute least favorite instructor has had many incarnations. I suppose I can't stand disorganization. When added to incompetence the instructor tries desperately to cover up by acting like a jerk, it heightens my suffering. And so, Mr. C, Dr. B, etc. were the worst.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maddie
Rejoice, Rejoice, I've Found the Manuel!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maddie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BEST.

Madame H., French I-IV - She was such a nice teacher, who learned everyones' real names & French names. She was just so understanding & would make learning so much fun & most of the time, amusing, especially during French I when we learned the alphabet & time by tapes kindergarteners should have been listening to.

Mrs. M, 7th grade reading - She was really nice too, but strict so we actually learned. She would always tell us about her personal life & funny stories, & would try to get to know us better.

I don't really have a worst, but I have some that were bad & good at the same time. Like Mr. S, my freshman earth & space teacher that looked remarkably like Hitler with white hair, & would go on rants about how everything the Bible said happened was really the tectonic plates moving, & how squirrels on the opposite sides of the Grand Canyon had different colored tails. But we had tests every Friday & everyone failed. The homework was extra credit though, & he was always good for a laugh.

--------------------
"I'm sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman." - Royal Tenenbaum

Posts: 44 | From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a lot of great teachers, so it's hard to pick the best.

It's easy to pick the worst though. Mr. Ship (guess the nickname)--5th grade. He came to school every day in dirty, sweatstained clothes. He famously talked to his armpits. He cleaned his ears with his keys and wiped them off on students' homework. He didn't even try to teach us anything, spending the entire day talking about himself, shouting at the class to read the book and shut up, and passiing out worksheets. (For reference, I missed almost 18 weeks of school with pneumonia and related illnesses that year. That's half the school year. My brother would bring home my classwork on Friday and I'd send it back on Monday morning. Even with missing so much of the school year, I consistently had a grade of 99-100 in every subject.) He also refused to allow me to be tested for the Gifted and Talented class because I was just "one of his usual mushrooms". Oh, and when I sprained my ankle playing basketball, that was proof that girls shouldn't be allowed to play "man sports".

What I remember most was that he prided himself on starting every class with an "Honest Answer" session. We could ask his opinion on anything, and he'd tell us the truth. In that class, he informed us that girls shouldn't have jobs because they "can't handle it", a woman will never be president because women "just go to pieces in stressful situations", and that boys who don't play football should "just wear dresses and call themselves Nancy".

Thank heavens I moved out of that town a year or two later. Strangely, years later, he came up in conversation with a high school friend... and we realized that he's her uncle. Apparently, the rest of his family liked him every bit as much as I did.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worst English teacher: the guy who taught English Composition @ at my community college my sophomore year. He had little control of the class, and he thought Alannis Morissette's "Ironic" was actually a good example of irony. In his defense, he had a newborn baby at home that semester. Also because it was a required class at a community college there were a lot of people in it who were ill prepared and not interested. Not to denigrate community college, which I think is wonderful.

Best English teacher: too difficult to choose. I liked Ms. Churchey, Mr. Tidwell, Karl, Sampad, my freshman poetry teacher at LMU whose name unfortunately escapes me, all of my professors at UCSC especially Ms. Perks, and my fourth grade teacher, Mr. Hentschke, who taught me about idioms and instilled a lifelong fascination with the difference between figurative and literal.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages