snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » My favorite things about Thanksgiving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My favorite things about Thanksgiving
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. The grazing has begun. At work we have "junk-n-stuff" where everyone brings snacks and we eat all day long. Oh, yeah.

2. Alice's Restaurant. 'nuff said.

3. 4 days off work.

guru "oh yeah, time with the family and world peace..." wan2b

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. I only need to cook one thing and bring it to the big get-together.

2. There are always babies at the big get-together. I love holding babies! [Smile]

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the one annual big family/friend celebration I throw each year. My Thanksgiving day table averages 30-40 people. I love having everyone together, and I love making the meal, especially the last 10 minutes when a dozen people are in the kitchen all working together.

Beach...and I love a cold turkey sandwich later that day...life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cold leftover turkey sandwiches.... yummy....

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stuffing. God how I love stuffing.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Favorite thing about Thanksgiving?? Food of course! [Big Grin]

Can you say, "Are you ready for some FOOTBALL!!!"

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Leftovers, while high, layered in a cup. Turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry. Repeat.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Remark, can you ask your woman to shoot me over a PM when she gets a chance? [Wink]

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
Leftovers, while high , layered in a cup.

So you smoke your turkey???

Almost forgot these pies... The company that makes them is just down the road...

--------------------
Danvers Carew

KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I have Christmas with my Dad's family, we do a small Christmas on the Saturday after Thanksgiving with my Mom's family... I love it. We do Thanksgiving, and the next day we put up the tree, and it's like the start of the holiday season. [Smile]

My guys in my family (somewhere between 3 and 5 of them), and my Grammy, go into the living room and watch the local high school football game. Sometimes I go in, too, since my Grammy has lived in the town so long that she knows all the families. She'll happily inform us about the players: "The quarterback? His dad's in jail. And number 42 over there? His mom's an alcoholic." She doesn't mean it with any malice, but she just has no tact at all. It's hysterical.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
guru, somebody told me that the same company makes Braum's pecan pies. Do you know if that's true? I love Braum's because I don't like maple flavor in pecan pies. Do those pies have maple flavor? It's silly, but Braum's considers pecan pies to be seasonal. Go figure.
ETA: I checked the ingredients list and saw no maple flavoring listed. Yay!
I do like maple, just not in pecan pie. Weird, huh?

Yep, the best part of the turkey is a cold turkey sandwich, just as the best part of a meatloaf is a cold meatloaf sandwich. Hmmm. We stop smoking "cold turkey." Wonder why we don't stop bad habits "cold meatloaf."

Gone are the days of huge gatherings in my family, Beach. I miss that a lot but don't miss all the cooking, mess and cleaning up afterwards. These days, I only have to make the dressing, gravy and mac&cheese. Yay!

Football? Well, of course!

I would say playing with the grandchildren, but that's not just a holiday thingy. [Smile]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

I don't know if Field's supplies Braums or not. I'll see if I can find out. I thought Braums made all their own stuff.
guru

ETA: They don't come right out and say so but:

Q. Do you make all the products sold in Braum's stores?

A. We make the majority of the items sold in our stores, however, some of our items are custom made for us to our specifications and with our recipes.

I guess it is possible. I may have to do a little research. Buy one from Braums and compare it to the one I bought from Fields.
I wouldn't do this for just anyone, you know?

--------------------
Danvers Carew

Signora Del Drago

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, guru. Your devotion to research is indeed heartening. And to think, you're doing it just for me! Squeeeee!

I think all it says on the Braum's label is "distributed by." Maybe that indicates they don't make them. (?) I've only seen one Braum's pecan pie box and just remembered that. I don't buy them because we'd just eat it all in one day, and my son usually has already thrown the box away when we go to his house.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having my grandfather come over to my house (if he's not staying here) at 10 am so we can start watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Ever since I've been little, we've done that. When I was really little, and my family was the only one that had kids, my grandparents would spend Thanksgiving here (also because we always had dinner at our house). I would wake Grandpa up at 8 am, and we'd go downstairs together, and start watching it all, while Mom made breakfast with Grandma. I don't remember what my dad or my brother did.

...It's making me a little upset that everyone sees that my grandmother is slipping...

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom's stuffing, made according to the Betty Crocker late 1950's edition cookbook.

Pumpkin Pie. It tastes better on Thanksgiving Day than any other time.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hazed
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hazed   E-mail Hazed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite part of Thanksgiving is obviously the food. My parents make a Thanksgiving meal that is to die for. Unfortunately, this year a) we're going to my in-laws, so I'll have to miss my parents meal, and b) I have to work at midnight, so I can't really enjoy the day that much. Oh well.

Oh yeah, and cinnamon rolls for breakfast. That tradition is definitely one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving, too.

Posts: 1128 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TallGeekyGirl
O Read, O Read, The Manual

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TallGeekyGirl   Author's Homepage   E-mail TallGeekyGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Curling up in blankets on the couch with hot chocolate watching the Macy's parade.

2. Pumpkin pie.

3. The smell of wood stoves in the crisp autumn air.

4. Watching those same old holiday specials I've seen every year for ages.

5. Pumpkin pie.

6. Did I mention pumpkin pie?

--------------------
See, if I tell you about it, it won't be a mystery. It'll just be a fact, an ugly, moist fact, squatting on your brain like an octopus. And you don't want an octopus squatting on your brain, do you, son? -- Stan Smith, American Dad

Posts: 980 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Cow
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Cow   E-mail Purple Cow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a Moorish Idol:
Having my grandfather come over to my house (if he's not staying here) at 10 am so we can start watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Ever since I've been little, we've done that. When I was really little, and my family was the only one that had kids, my grandparents would spend Thanksgiving here (also because we always had dinner at our house). I would wake Grandpa up at 8 am, and we'd go downstairs together, and start watching it all, while Mom made breakfast with Grandma. I don't remember what my dad or my brother did.

...It's making me a little upset that everyone sees that my grandmother is slipping...

Ooh, you reminded me about the Macy's parade... wonder if it's on right now, and if so, what channel...

We never end up doing Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving, because my mom always works, so Thanksgiving isn't until Saturday, for us. Hurrah!

--------------------
No one ever wants the super boob.
-Dr. Heisler, American Dad

Baby Alex!

Posts: 233 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing my family. Even those I don't like so much.

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HOMEMADE mashed potatoes, not out of a box. I'll mash them myself if you want.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stuffing
Gravy (only time of year I eat it)
pie
pie
the relish tray
eating a giant meal with friends and/or family

Hot. Turkey. Sandwiches.
mmmmmmmmmmm

Stuffing.
Pie.

Is it dinner time yet?

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Being able to please a whole group of folks with my mad cooking skillz.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having my very first Thanksgiving with my new family. I can't thik of anything better than that.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, my favorite thing about today (or really any holiday for that matter) is working and getting the holiday pay.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Family family family family family. They're all so great, and I just love getting to spend the time with them.

All, that is, except my father's brother's wife's brother's wife, who is a bit of a pill. But she wasn't there today, so all is well. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom's fruit salad and stuffing. Not at the same time though.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if this is the right thread to ask a question? Well I'm going to anyway [Razz] . Do most people end up with an extra long week-end or do most people go back to work on Friday? In Canada we have our Thanksgiving on a Monday which gives many people a long week-end. I've often wondered why Americans picked Thursday for their Thanksgiving.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
I wonder if this is the right thread to ask a question? Well I'm going to anyway [Razz] . Do most people end up with an extra long week-end or do most people go back to work on Friday? In Canada we have our Thanksgiving on a Monday which gives many people a long week-end. I've often wondered why Americans picked Thursday for their Thanksgiving.

Most of us get Friday off as well, unless we work in retail, of course. I usually take advantage of the long weekend to start dragging out my Christmas decorations.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
guru, did you do your research, yet? My daughter-in-law told me that Braum's no longer considers pecan pies to be seasonal and you can buy them year-round.

--------------------

tagurit

Icon 505 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:

Outside of retail, offices are slow after the holiday yet the Friday is not a paid holiday. Some offices let everyone take turns taking the Friday off, and with some it's by seniority. I worked this Friday at the bank, but I swearah, next year I'm getting it off. Why three days off when you can have four? [Smile]

I'm not sure why Thursday, but why not might be the answer. It's only been recently that our holidays are scheduled on Mondays. Thank goodness we call Independence Day fourth of July. I don't think that one will be messed with anytime soon. I sure hope they don't move Thanksgiving to a Monday. I like it the way it is.

My favorite thing about Thanksgiving is eating a wonderful meal of all our traditional foods, with my family. Either that, or watching my son and my bil scarf down the pecan pie. I love my baking being appreciated.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got to see my parents, my brother's family (including the wee nephew) and all the relatives on my mom's side. And my grandparents sent two big sticks of deer sausage back to school with me. *salivates*

It was a good Thanksgiving.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages