snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Unhijackable, Deep Space Nine (Page 28)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31   
Author Topic: Unhijackable, Deep Space Nine
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There's a thing circulating on the 'Net- kind of a "then and now" thing with "scenario: 1963" and the updated "2006" thing. I copied it, sent it to my mom with some of my own "updates". I found it the other day on my cousin's blog- complete with my little additions, except the bit where I said, "I added the bit in italics" is gone. (my added bits were about the lawsuits and the DNA test for the girl/5 high school boys).

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well since I finally have a chance to get on here. I'm home!!! YEAH!!!! I get to spend a month here, but I will probably want to go back to Kentucky by New Years Day. I love my family but sometimes they can get on a person's last nerve.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
FrogFeathers, I can't access that page.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Its just a Yahoo 360 blog. I guess she has it set to private. I just signed out of Yahoo to see and I can't access it either. [lol]

Here is one of the threads that someone posted the list in- it was the third time I'd read it. But I copied it from another message board, added my little bits to it and emailed it to my mom- (who then forwarded it to a bunch of people- including me, she hasn't quite grasped that concept.) [Wink]

ETA:

My added parts are in italics. [Big Grin]

SCENARIO: JACK PULLS INTO SCHOOL PARKING LOT WITH RIFLE IN GUN RACK.
1963 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.
2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

SCENARIO: JOHNNY AND MARK GET INTO A FIST FIGHT AFTER SCHOOL.
1963 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.
2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Mark's parents sue Johnny's parents for medical bill, pain and suffereing and emotional distress.

SCENARIO: LITTLE JEFFREY WON'T BE STILL IN CLASS, DISRUPTS OTHER STUDENTS.
1963 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.
2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

SCENARIO: BILLY BREAKS A WINDOW IN HIS FATHER'S CAR AND HIS DAD GIVES HIM A WHIPPING.
1963 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

SCENARIO: MARK GETS A HEADACHE AND TAKES SOME HEADACHE MEDICINE TO SCHOOL.
1963 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.
2006 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

SCENARIO: MARY TURNS UP PREGNANT.
1963 - 5 High School Boys leave town. Mary does her senior year at a special school for expectant mothers.
2006 - Middle School Counselor calls Planned Parenthood, who notifies the ACLU. Mary is driven to the next state over and gets an abortion without her parent's consent or knowledge. Mary given condoms and told to be more careful next time. Or, the school already has a daycare set up for students with babies. Mary takes the 5 high school boys on a national talk show declaring she knows who the daddy is because "he looks just like the baby!" When the results of the DNA tests come back- none of the 5 boys are the father.

SCENARIO: PEDRO FAILS HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH.
1963: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2006: Pedro's cause is taken up by ultra-liberals. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

SCENARIO: JOHNNY TAKES APART LEFTOVER FIRECRACKERS FROM THE 4TH OF JULY, PUTS THEM IN A MODEL AIRPLANE PAINT BOTTLE, BLOWS UP A RED ANT BED.
1963 - Ants die.
2006 - ATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

SCENARIO: JOHNNY FALLS WHILE RUNNING DURING RECESS AND SCRAPES HIS KNEE. HE IS FOUND CRYING BY HIS TEACHER, MARY, WHO HUGS JOHNNY TO COMFORT HIM.
1963 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. And Johnny's parents sue the school district for hiring a "predator" and a new law named after Johnny is put on the books.

--------------------
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My dog is so tired during the day...how is he so hyper in the afternoons?

And how the hell did Spike have tears in his tail AGAIN?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Is it wrong to take a food gift someone gave me to a party? I recieved some homemade fudge as a gift from a student & while it looks wonderful, I'm not the biggest fudge fan & we have enough people in our family that shouldn't have too much sugar that its probably not a good idea to keep it around. I have an informal function tonight & I was thinking about just bringing the fudge as my food item. I'd definately tell anyone who asked that I did not make it.

I just hate the thought of this fudge going to waste a/o going to my waist!!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One of my best friends is having minor brain surgery (is there such a thing) to remove a tumor on her pituitary gland today or tomorrow. I am so freakin anxious about it. She is really calm and positive about the whole thing, so naturally I am a nervous wreck. I think I might cry right this minute. I'm Fedexing her Christmas present today so hopefully that will make her recovery a bit more pleasant.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
ThistleS, vibes to your friend - and to you! I hope she enjoys her present.

Morgaine, the fudge was a gift, which means it is now yours to do with as you please. Besides, it's a compliment to the maker/giftgiver that the fudge is so tasty you want to share it.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
Is it wrong to take a food gift someone gave me to a party? I recieved some homemade fudge as a gift from a student & while it looks wonderful, I'm not the biggest fudge fan & we have enough people in our family that shouldn't have too much sugar that its probably not a good idea to keep it around. I have an informal function tonight & I was thinking about just bringing the fudge as my food item. I'd definately tell anyone who asked that I did not make it.

I just hate the thought of this fudge going to waste a/o going to my waist!!

I think that's an admirable use of the fudge. The whole idea is for it to be something you enjoy--if you'll enjoy sharing it more than you would enjoy hoarding it, share away!

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 22 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's been 441 hours since I smoked or had nicotine in any way shape or form! I had to share. I just told my family for the first time Saturday night and they were the first to know. I hadn't told anyone.

Merry Xmas to me!

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks, Lainie.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
On another note...

A Fort Worth Police officer was killed Sunday morning. His parents are very dear friends of ours, and my heart aches for them especially at this time of year. If anyone has a moment to send some vibes or prayers their way, it would be appreciated.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just MacGyvered my washing machine. I hope it holds through today! The latch wasn't catching so it wouldn't go to the next part of the wash cycle. I think it will work but I'm no Ms. Fix-It.

BlushingBride: I heard about his death on the news & its just terrible! Lots of thoughts & prayers coming their way.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Saw this cool guy on the side of the road today.

I don't have a telephoto lens on my camera, so I tried to steady my binoculars with one hand and take the picture by positioning the camera lens through the viewfinder of the binoculars. It works, but the image comes out slightly blurry and the colors are off. However, I'd never have been able to get a close shot using just my camera's zoom alone.

As I was watching him, a juvenile bald eagle flew low over my head on his way out to the lake. A third eagle was off in a nearby tree, hidden from view, but the two adults were calling back and forth to each other.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Saw this cool guy on the side of the road today.

I don't have a telephoto lens on my camera, so I tried to steady my binoculars with one hand and take the picture by positioning the camera lens through the viewfinder of the binoculars. It works, but the image comes out slightly blurry and the colors are off. However, I'd never have been able to get a close shot using just my camera's zoom alone.

As I was watching him, a juvenile bald eagle flew low over my head on his way out to the lake. A third eagle was off in a nearby tree, hidden from view, but the two adults were calling back and forth to each other.

Nice! The only place I've seen eagles in Georgia is at Oconee Lake.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Way to go tagurit!

I had to pick up the 18YO at school today. He dropped a 40 lb weight on his finger, cutting the finger. On the way to the office, he passed out from the pain, cracking his noggin on the brick wall. He came to, tried to stand up, didn't make it, and passed out again, this time knocking his noggin on the floor.

He's upset because I won't let him drive....

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Glass papaya, I'm sure if others on the road knew you wouldn't, they would thank you! I hope he is feeling better.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
He seems fine now. Just watching him for the concussion signs.

Stupid grey hairs. They just keep on popping out on my head! [lol]

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 08 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
I just MacGyvered my washing machine. I hope it holds through today! The latch wasn't catching so it wouldn't go to the next part of the wash cycle. I think it will work but I'm no Ms. Fix-It.

If it's the part of the cycle where the water is supposed to drain, just open the lid up about two inches and drop it. The slam should kick-start the next cycle.

My neighbor has operated her machine like that for years now.

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
^ DDs favorite icon that she made me put on this post!

quote:
Originally posted by animal73:
quote:

If it's the part of the cycle where the water is supposed to drain, just open the lid up about two inches and drop it. The slam should kick-start the next cycle.

My neighbor has operated her machine like that for years now.

Tried that & we're past that point. I was putting the laundry detergent bottle on it & waiting to hear the 'click' but that stopped working this morning. I even put one of my DHs 15lb weights on it & it did nothing. Hopefully the MacGyvering will work for a bit until DH can fix it.

--------------------

Lainie

My town is getting a Half-Price Books store! Less than a mile from my house -- easy walking distance. Right next to a Panera, too.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
It's been 441 hours since I smoked or had nicotine in any way shape or form! I had to share. I just told my family for the first time Saturday night and they were the first to know. I hadn't told anyone.

Merry Xmas to me!

Woo-hoo!

The first 441 hours are the hardest. [Wink]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It turns out that I may actually get a little bit of a break from my new job. With the baby so close to being here (6 weeks--eek!), the coordinator has told me that she doesn't feel comfortable allowing me to work in the Triage department of the ER. At least not for a full shift. I did go down there today with my trainer to cover a lunch, and the first person that came in was a repeat patient with viral meningitis. Great. It's funny--bring on the puking, sick kids, the chest pain patients, the bleeding and others...and I was ready to jet as soon as they brought this guy into the Triage office.

I love the job and all, but there's so many hazards right now that it's gonna be hard to learn everything before I go on leave.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Morgiane- My washing machine had the same problem last week and Mr S rigged it so the machine thinks the latch is always "clicked." A few days ago I forgot to close the lid, and the spin cycle mopped my floor for me! [Smile]

glass papaya's story (glad to hear he's feeling better!) reminds me-- Starling took a flying leap into our computer desk Wednesday night. The in-laws had just gotten into town when Starling climbed on the desk chair and dove towards the desk. She hit her head on the desk & the ground. A huge goose egg developed almost immediately, and she started acting drunk and woozy, not responding to us. So we spent a fun evening in the E.R. Since Mr S is a paramedic, everyone knew him and, while it didn't get her treated faster, she did get us lots of greetings and free dinner!

She's fine, no fracture, CT was clear. I am still recovering though!

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

My 17 year old has been having headaches (she claims: "for as long as I can remember") and she got so bad that she demanded I take her to the doctor (she tends to downplay things till it is serious).

He prescribed her Midrin for her headaches. We're also going to switch docs- we didn't like his condescending attitude (he had it the first time we saw him and he still had that attitude). I wanted to get up in his face and say, "Look, buddy, I do have a brain, you can talk to me like a person- and yes, WE DO KNOW the difference between "headache" and "migraine" so stop rolling your bloody eyes when we call hers a migraine!"

We won't go back to him- I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt from our first visit, but to hell with that. I want a doc my kids are comfortable with who doesn't roll his eyes and talk to me like I never made it past 8th grade.

--------------------

Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
F_F, watch her a bit. When I took Midrin I had violent mood swings. Like seriously mean stuff. My sister took it and was fine, but I didn't react so well.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There are a lot of hawks in town this year. It seems like every time I go out I see the songbirds panicking and then a hawk comes along chasing its prey.

You can almost see the songbirds' eyes widen in terror as a hawk appears. Only the crows and ravens aren't frightened of them (they like to harass them.) I'm thinking of setting up a video camera so I can get footage of the action.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just realized that all through grade school - elementary, middle, and high school - we weren't allowed to refer to a certain campus building as the library. It was only to be called the "media center" and our teachers reinforced this through the years. "Library" was supposed to be an outdated term that was going to prevent us from fully exploring the resources they had to offer. I always thought that was stupid because the only form of media we had access to in the "media center" were books, even through the late 1990's. There were some magazines available, but we'd get in trouble for reading them instead of books. No computers or A/V equipment were available for us to use in the media center.

Now I'm in college and it's called a library, filled with books, magazines, newspapers, DVDs, CDs, internet access, and various software programs. Much more of a media center than anything in public school.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I just realized that all through grade school - elementary, middle, and high school - we weren't allowed to refer to a certain campus building as the library. It was only to be called the "media center" and our teachers reinforced this through the years. "Library" was supposed to be an outdated term that was going to prevent us from fully exploring the resources they had to offer. I always thought that was stupid because the only form of media we had access to in the "media center" were books, even through the late 1990's. There were some magazines available, but we'd get in trouble for reading them instead of books. No computers or A/V equipment were available for us to use in the media center.

Now I'm in college and it's called a library, filled with books, magazines, newspapers, DVDs, CDs, internet access, and various software programs. Much more of a media center than anything in public school.

Sounds like my upbringing. Grade school was just books, but it was the "media center" after sixth grade. Before then, it was the library, and I was confused by the change. It looked the same!

HS and college were just libraries, even though they offered more than that weak little grade school library ever could have dreamed.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So, a little while ago I was watching this show on the National Geographic Channel about the Book of Revelation, and it opened with a literal portrayal of the events of Revelation. The sequence ended, of course, with the New Jerusalem. Which the filmmakers portrayed as being exactly the same as the old Jerusalem, with better lighting.

The problem?

The Dome of the Rock was quite prominent in the New Jerusalem.

I'm pretty sure the Revelation literalists won't be expecting that one!

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
my 15 year old daughter just told me she has a girlfriend... in the romance meaning.

I told her I was happy for her, and all the same things I told her when she had a boyfriend. Now I'm worried; I failed to mention anything about "safe sex" if she decided she was not going to wait, even if I did not want her going that far at her age.

I did say that even though she wouldn't get pregnant that it did not mean it was ok to just take that step at her age.

OMG, did I handle this right?

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
tagurit, congratulations and good luck! It'll still be a day by day thing for a while, but before long, you'll stop counting hours and just be counting months!

Froggie-Feathers, I don't blame you for wanting another doctor for your daughter. I used to have what people thought were temper tantrums because I was too young to know how to say I had a headache. So, you can have migraines for as long as you can remember, and maybe even before. Bad, bad doctor.

daisyslegs, it looks like you handled it just fine. What else could you have said? I think you did great.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Gah! I got 2 cavities filled on Thursday am. While doing the "bite & grind on this paper" test, one filling cracked. The dentist replaced it. That afternoon, it cracked again. He replaced it again.

It cracked again just now. And I don't have time tomorrow to do a damn thing about it, and now I'll need a crown. Argh!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

I got a new dance bedlah tonight!! Its silver & I already have 2 beledi dresses that go with it. If I get a black & brown tie-top, I'll have at least 4 costumes it will go with (I have 1 panel skirt/veil set & 1 brown print panel skirt that has black & silver in it)
I'm *so* excited as it was a really good deal (less than $300 with tax) & it really fills a costuming need. It also doesn't need a ton of work. I need to adjust the straps (it has a center halter [which I *love*] & 2 shoulder straps which need to be moved) & the belt is actually too big (which never happens to me) but those are minor issues.
I'm also hoping that my purchase will encourage my instructor to purchase more bedlah & costumes in 'goddess' sizes. Us big girls want to look purdy too!!

--------------------

tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks glass papaya, AnglRdr, and Signora!

Aww, poor Roadie! GLTU!

Am I the only one that's totally in love with I'mNotDedalus? Is it wrong to be in love with such a young man? I suppose there's always our next lifetimes.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages