snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Unhijackable, Deep Space Nine (Page 23)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  29  30  31   
Author Topic: Unhijackable, Deep Space Nine
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hubby's been bringing home his laptop from work recently so we can get online in the evenings. (The Zorrling sleeps in the computer room, so our computer time has been limited in the last twelve weeks.) Hubby has an offsite meeting today, though, and will not need his laptop all day, and is leaving it at home for me. Bwahahahaha...let's see if I get ANYTHING constructive done today... [Smile]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
ugh...our company uses Lotus notes as well. I hate the fact that the calendar system is so fickle. For example, I take one date out of the calendar for a meeting that was rescheduled. It automatically took all of my dates. I could think of other email clients that are better.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by chillas:
I never thought I'd find an application that makes me think fondly of Outlook.

Lainie: Groupwise? Groupwise? [Eek!]

They're migrating my group to Outlook in the near future. Can't be soon enough. I actually long for Outlook.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs.hi-c clown fishies:
An update of sorts--

I've been on the new job for a week and a day now. I love it!

Sorry your old department is giving you crap, but yeah you like your new job! That's great!

Has anyone else ever been on Litium? The doc put me on it a few weeks ago, and it's given me the shakes something awful. I don't know if that means my levels are too high, or what's going on. But it's driving me crazy.

Also, I might get a new job within the Home Depot. We have a bookkeeping department, and they're looking for someone new. Lots of responsibility, but I'm used to that, being a head cashier. And I wouldn't have to deal with customers anymore! I hope they decide to give it to me. I just applied yesterday. It's either that, or I start looking for a new job outside of the HD. I just can't take the disorganization of that place anymore. Sigh.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The Flatulent Coworker is up to it again. This time, there was a witness other than the coworker who alerted me.

It almost made me throw up.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

That's what MUO uses for their primary email client. Since I'm a UT grad, my Outlook account is still accepted, so I'm safe. IT had enough hassles that they migrated everything over to Outlook.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Casey, making hot chocolate:
quote:

That's what MUO uses for their primary email client. Since I'm a UT grad, my Outlook account is still accepted, so I'm safe. IT had enough hassles that they migrated everything over to Outlook.
Sure, they give themselves the decent email client. Let everybody else suffer.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What gets me about Lotus Notes is that instead of fixing bugs, they just put in warnings. My favorite is something on the lines of: "Testing has shown this action may cause the calendar to become unstable and you may lose data. Do you wish to continue anyway?" WTF? Just fix the damn problem, will you?! Yeesh!

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Bugs? I know of no bugs. I only know of undocumented features.

In other news, I feel like crap today. I woke up with congestion, cough and a really sore throat. I guess I'll just have to start drinking hot toddies.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Why is it that every time I think my Christmas shopping is done, I think of one more person I forgot???
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Tzarina, that's because Christmas shopping is like housework: it expands to fill the time available.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Tzarina, it's because Santa is teh ebil.

So my dad's video camera gave up the ghost. He's gonna have FUN shopping for a new one.

The camera I'm using at the moment smells like cigarettes. Eeeeeeeew...

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Oh...

my...

Gosh...

My aunt who usually spams her address book with garbage- and took me off her list because I "reply to all" with snopes links emailed me and asked me if the backwards ATM PIN was true or not.

"Patty, you're good at finding these things out, is this true?"

I replied with the link and mentioned the search option on the main snopes page.

But, I'm just stunned.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs.hi-c clown fishies:
ugh...our company uses Lotus notes as well. I hate the fact that the calendar system is so fickle. For example, I take one date out of the calendar for a meeting that was rescheduled. It automatically took all of my dates. I could think of other email clients that are better.

Our parent company in Germany decided that the whole corporation needed to switch over to Notes about a year ago, specifically because of the scheduling features (Team Rooms, ugh). (They were using Notes and we were using Outlook - I much preferred Outlook.) The funny thing is, the majority of the people who would actually need to use the team rooms don't have access to them. It's been a nightmare, but luckily I don't schedule meetings or organize teams, so haven't had to deal with any of it. The main thing I have trouble with is trying to use the address book. I still keep Outlook around for that, even if I can't use it for my email.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This is what I get for finishing early this year. Dangit.

And Santa is not evil. Or teh ebil, or whatever.
My Daddy is a Santa, and I won't have him spoken of in that manner.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My car makes a whining noise when I put it in reverse, and stops when I hit the brake.

Anybody know what that means?

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
My car makes a whining noise when I put it in reverse, and stops when I hit the brake.

I don't know about the first part, but as for the second part, it's normal for a car to stop when you hit the brake.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tzarina:
This is what I get for finishing early this year. Dangit.

And Santa is not evil. Or teh ebil, or whatever.
My Daddy is a Santa, and I won't have him spoken of in that manner.

Well, real beard Santas (like your father) are cool. I was being facetious about how Santa is evil, anyhow.

How many kids pull on your dad's beard, anyway? That's gotta hurt.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
quote:

I don't know about the first part, but as for the second part, it's normal for a car to stop when you hit the brake.

Nick

Thanks Nick. [fish]
I meant the noise stops when I hit the brake - but the car stops as well. I'm not worried about the car stopping part, though.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
bthyb- Transmission whine? Has it always done it or did it just start recently?

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

It doesn't like going in reverse?

Gen "But I don't waaaaannnna go in reverse!" Yus

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

bthyb, it could be a loose belt somewhere. There IS more than one belt in an engine, IIRC.

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I have done zero Christmas shopping. Zero. This has never happened before.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've finished all of my Christmas shopping, with the exception of one item which I'll pick up when I go to my hometown because it's too cumbersome to pack. That's never happened before; I'm usually still picking things up on December 23.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Me too, Chloe. High five!

I've been so disgustingly busy that I haven't had the time or energy to devote to holiday festivities.

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was agonizing because I had 7 people left to shop for and no idea what to get them. And then the perfect item fell into my lap. It's a decorative item that's pretty and unique, but, more importantly, 100% of the money I paid for it is going to feed and house African AIDS orphans. So it's not only a gift for the person I bought the thing for, it's a gift for the kids too. Christmas gift zen!

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

quote:
Originally posted by animal73:
bthyb- Transmission whine? Has it always done it or did it just start recently?

It's a new thing. Sigh...I guess I'll need to get it checked out.

--------------------

Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm pretty much done with all the shopping. I just have giftcards left which are easy & I need to mail 1 gift but its OK if it doesn't get there before Christmas. Its the wrapping that is getting me. For grown-ups I do gift bags but I like the kids to have wrapped gifts to open so I've spent a few hours over the past week just wrapping. After a few minutes, it seems to become a Zen thing & I'm just in the zone & wrapping & cutting & its fine. But to actually get started is a real challenge.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyJingleBells:

Has anyone else ever been on Lithium? The doc put me on it a few weeks ago, and it's given me the shakes something awful. I don't know if that means my levels are too high, or what's going on. But it's driving me crazy.

Lizzy it is a side effect of the Lithium you may want to call your doctor he may give you a medicine to help out with the side effects mine did. Once I had the additional medicine the shakes stopped and I felt better.

ETA: More Information

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Anyone know what % is in prescription cortizone creams? I got my allergy shots today, and my arms are itching horribly (1% cream works for about 1 1/2-2 hours). I have to call my allergist to make an appointment over the break, but I think I may also ask them to call my local pharmacy to get a prescription strength tube of cortizone cream. Itching this badly in tests will not be good. Nor will itching this badly on a 4 hour drive home.

--------------------

SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Damn Fire Alarms. The Hall Council was making grilled cheeses in the lobby and they set the smoke detector off.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Warning! Glurgy story ahead:

Sometimes I really hate going to Petsmart to get cat food. I do enjoy spoiling the birds when I'm there (assuming they have any of the larger birds to spoil). Its just that the cat food isle at the store I frequent is also located near the cat adoption center and the cat litter is right next to it. There are times I just can't bear not looking to see what they have. This morning was one of those times.

In the largest kennel was fairly young all black female kitty named Carebear. The information sheet had a highlighted notation that Carebear was blind, and that she was found by the side of the road with a head trauma. She was sleeping when I walked up to the adoption center, but that didn't last for very long.

The adoption center kennels at that store have plexiglass windows on the customer side, and metal bars inside the enclosure. I never intentionally tap on the glass of any cage when I'm at a pet store. Something startled Carebear awake while I was watching her. My jacket may have tapped the glass by accident, or one of the other kitties in the neighboring kennels started scratching on the glass of their own enclosures, as they will whenever anyone walks by.

Carebear was up in an instant and walked to the bar side of the kennel, sat down and started howling. She was looking all around her kennel, and when she finally faced me, I could see how big her pupils were. It just broke my heart to listen to her looking everywhere and wailing like she was that I could've adopted her myself.

I just can't, though, even if I didn't have my current cat (who is undisputedly master of his domain). For one thing, she'd be alone for up to 14 hours a day, four days a week, and at least initially, would probably wail as loudly as she did at the store, and I have to sleep during the day. She would need time to learn how to navigate my cluttered apartment, as well as learn where her bed, bowls and litter box were. I just didn't think I could've given this kitty the extra care she needed. I knew she'd be better off with an owner or owners who could be with her more than I could, but damn it was hard to walk away. I don't think I've ever cried leaving a petstore before in my adult life.

I really hope this kitty gets a good home. [Frown]

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush:
Anyone know what % is in prescription cortizone creams?

Why don't you just ask your allergist when you call him? Or call the pharmacy to find out?

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush:
Anyone know what % is in prescription cortizone creams?

Why don't you just ask your allergist when you call him? Or call the pharmacy to find out?
I will. But I was just curious at the moment.

--------------------

Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
IIRC, it's 15% (could be even higher, it may depend on the script). But I think you can buy up to 5% OTC. That might help enough more than the 1% that you don't have to bother with the script.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  29  30  31   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages