snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Unhijackable, Deep Space Nine (Page 22)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  29  30  31   
Author Topic: Unhijackable, Deep Space Nine
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I called the high school in the county back home that has a program for deaf/hard of hearing students to see if I can do observation there over the break. I'll be excited if I can. I'm hoping I can observe in the total communication classroom!

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post 
lavender blue, I watched Mary Poppins twice last night. While I was supposed to be studying too. [Embarrassed] Damn those distracting chimney sweeps, Damn them!

Nee 'A wooden leg named Smith?' CD

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I can now add "I had a hedgehog attempt to eat my shirt" to the list of weird and interesting things that happened to me this year.

I love the way you drop these little tidbits and then go away (so to speak) leaving us all going "What did she just say?"

Were you wearing the shirt at the time?

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Roadie, I can safely say that wasn't me. I was bidding on a fixer-upper American Girl doll (I want to redesign it into a character. A male character). Actually, I got a lot of people on a doll collector message board in a tizzy over that (they saw the pics and deemed the hair "too nice to cut" and therefore I'm a rotten person for doing it).

--------------------
I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad. - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
Nee 'A wooden leg named Smith?' CD

My friend B, who lost her leg to flesh eating bacteria, named her artificial leg Smith just so that she could be the woman with a wooden leg named Smith. She got hours of amusement from it.

Seaboe

who thinks editing before posting would be wonderful if she didn't still make mistakes that need correcting.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just realized that one of the maintenance guys in my apartment complex looks like Santa Claus.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just mailed off Christmas presents to my family in California. I also wrapped everything for the in-laws (who are not arriving until Thursday now!). I am completely done shopping, and once I have Starlet help me write notes to her teachers I'll be completely done with Christmas present-related stuff. There are even a few little things left over for the last minute "emergencies" that seem to pop up each year.

I'm very pleased that I stayed on budget and I was able to find thoughtful presents for everyone on my list.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I took Luna over to the house of the lady who gave her to us. I thought Luna may have started her first heat, but not yet. She's close though.

I got a great picture of Luna and her mom, Sage.

Luna on the left; Sage on the right

ETA: that's Tiramisu in the lower right corner and yes, my finger is slightly in the way. I was using my camera phone.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just got a paper cut in the oddest of places.

This particularly painful paper cut just so happens to be located on my EYE. On the cornea, to be more specific.

Owwwww.

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Eeek! How did you get a paper cut on your eye? Have you sought medical attention?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ouch, Elphaba. I also got a paper cut on my cornea once. It happened when I turned the page while reading the newspaper.

I drove myself to the doctor who gave me ointment and bandaged my eye. I then had a very scarey drive back to work with no depth perception.

If you go to the doctor get someone else to drive.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just found out that a toy I remembered from my childhood was in fact real and NOT my imagination! I always had this memory of a weird etch-a-sketch type thing with a little joystick and a dome, and thought maybe I was crazy, but today I found it on ebay! It's called a Skedoodle.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I NFBSKing hate Internet Explorer! I am doomed to use this piece of NFBSK at work, and I have had it up to here with it! Even pages that are "optimized" for use with IE look like NFBSK in it. And pop-ups. Holy God, the pop-ups are driving me crazy, not to mention the lack of ad-blocking and tabbed browsing (and no I can't download google toolbar).

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

[tears hair out!!!]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Angl, are you not allowed to customize your settings? I mean, I'm doomed as well, but I've found some work arounds using trusted sites and security settings (they stop the pop-ups, at any rate).

Seaboe

--------------------

Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One of the ULMB's current sponsors is Reunion.com, and the banner reads, "WHO'S looking for you?" Has anyone else had something block it briefly so it says, "HO'S ..."?

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I had a really strange dream last night. I dreamt that my ex-boss and I had to go to Sacramento for some kind of emergency meeting, and for some reason, my son came with us.

We got to the hotel, had no reservations, and I was really concentrating on my laptop, trying to get something *very important* done for whatever purpose we were there.

My ex-boss checked us in, carried our luggage up to our room, all the while I was typing away on my computer. We went into the room, and I sat down in the chair working away while he (ex-boss) put the bags into the closet. He then said something, which I didn't really pay attention to, and left.

I kept working away. My son took a shower, and came out and hopped into bed about 10:45. About this time, it dawns on me that there is only one bed and this futon-looking-thing. It also dawns on me that my ex-boss had mumbled something that I recall as "I'll be back around 11:00." Whaaa?

Seems we were all sharing one room, as that was all that was left at the hotel. Since my ex-boss was an older guy with a problem leg, I was trying to figure out how to neaten the bed back up so he could have it, finish my work on the computer, pull out the futon and get it made up, shower and get ready for bed before he returned, since I'm sure that's why he left - to give us some time and privacy.

Woke up with shivers from that one. Odd.

What does it mean? I mean, other than no more black tea before bed.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
So I was ordering this clock for myself for the holidays (officially from DD, but she doesn't have a credit card). And on the same website, I came across this clock.

It amused me to think that someone, somewhere, would consider the second one just as perfect for them as I consider the first one for me. Infinite diversity. . .

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
My child is six years old today.

-

Seemed like that cake took all NFBSKing afternoon to make! For information, it's three layers of devil's food cake with pink frosting and covered with coconut. The Kitten is bouncing off the walls right now, playing with her new Fashion Fever Barbie.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
I can now add "I had a hedgehog attempt to eat my shirt" to the list of weird and interesting things that happened to me this year.

I love the way you drop these little tidbits and then go away (so to speak) leaving us all going "What did she just say?"

Were you wearing the shirt at the time?

Yes! It's my friend's hedgehog, and I was holding him (the hedgie) while my friend was cleaning the cage. Hedgie was grumpy that night and bit me a few times, then started chewing voraciously on my shirt. He didn't put any holes in it, thank goodness.

But Hedgie has a habit of compulsively licking people, and we can't figure out why. My friend put a salt lick in his cage, and gives him specially-labeled Hedgehog food with occasional nutrient supplements. Yet he still can't stop licking the hands and faces of everyone who picks him up. He just started doing this in the last few months (he's almost 2 years old). Does anyone have experience with hedgehogs? Is there a reason he might be doing this?

Also, can anyone recommend a good way to cut down on a dog's gas output? I think I'm cursed with one of those dogs that's a perennial fart factory.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Aw, Julia's growing up so fast.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Oh dear DOYC, Lainie! That seems horrible! I wanted of these clocks for Hanukkah. But since I'll have classes late enough that I'll just wake up on my own, it's a bit useless for next semester.

ETA: 4K, tell Julia Kitten that Mickey Mouse wishes her a happy birthday [Wink]

And Cervus, does the dog get canned food or kibble? Rawhides or "non-edible" toys?

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
4K, Julia Kitten just gets cuter and cuter!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
An update of sorts--

I've been on the new job for a week and a day now. I love it! The department has more structure than my old department, and there's no one trying to push their work off on me. I worked the weekend 2nd shift with my trainer in the ER triage area. All I can say is holy crap--people do some really stupid things! And certain cultures apparently like to fight as well, as I observed one girl who was attacked by her own mother, and another girl who came in with a most wicked black eye.

I fear that I made a dreadful mistake though in leaving my "old" department. I told them that if they had questions they could contact me. What I wasn't expecting was them to call me every NFBSKing day I've been on the new job with questions! I was asked today if I could "stop by after my shift was done tomorrow" to help my former coworker out with one of the computer programs. Yeah...right...there is someone who she can meet up with, and that's his actual job. It's not me!

I think they are realizing their mistake in getting rid of me. They are also realizing that I actually did not sit on my ass all day doing nothing, but I actually *gasp!* worked. I'm done with them. I feel that I was pretty generous with allowing them to call me on my new job the first week, but this is ridiculous.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Julia is adorable!

Mickey, I love the "magic nap button" on the clock you linked to.

The "Sensory Assault Alarm Clock" sounded horrifying to me -- I generally wake up to a clock radio at minimal volume, and sometimes the "click" of the radio turning on will wake me before the music starts. But I guess it's just perfect for somebody somewhere, just as "Peaceful Progression Alarm Clock" is perfect for me.

--------------------

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mrs.hi-c clown fishies:
I fear that I made a dreadful mistake though in leaving my "old" department. I told them that if they had questions they could contact me. What I wasn't expecting was them to call me every NFBSKing day I've been on the new job with questions!

Give them a time limit for which you'll do this and insist upon getting paid for your time. When I left the organization I used to work for I gave them my end date (I gave 6 weeks notice when I was only required to give two) and told them I would be available to help out after that date but I would charge them a consulting fee. It's fine to want to help to make the transition as easy as possible for them, but don't let them take advantage of you.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush: And Cervus, does the dog get canned food or kibble? Rawhides or "non-edible" toys? [/QB]
Eukanuba dry kibble. No rawhide or consumable toys other than an occasional dog biscuit.

A few times a week I'll add chicken or chopped carrots to his food, but the gas does not seem to coincide with this. He does have a nasty habit of eating cat poop (and recently he's started eating other dog's poop) but he was a gassy dog even when he was living at the adoption center without access to anything but dry kibble.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just realized I know this guy. How weird is that?

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
Angl, are you not allowed to customize your settings? I mean, I'm doomed as well, but I've found some work arounds using trusted sites and security settings (they stop the pop-ups, at any rate).

Seaboe

Well, in theory, I could. However, all such customizations are cleared each evening when the system is backed up; even wallpaper has to be reset.

I suppose the proper thing to do would be to just not browse the internet at work. *chortle*

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was horrified to discover a spider on me this morning after my shower. It must have been on the towel, on the side nearest the wall otherwise I would have seen the beast. It wasn't a small one either, it's one of those horrible large ones with the thick legs and the huge body, although in this case I'm pretty certain it wasn't fully grown. It isn't going to get the chance to get any bigger either - after emitting what sounded more like a squeak than a scream I shook it off into the bath and applied hairspray until it curled up then I squished it with kitchen towel.

It's an improvement anyway - in previous times I would have gone through the ceiling. I'm still feeling like my flesh is crawling though. No naked arachnophobe needs to find a large spider on them before they've even had a coffee in the morning.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I hate it when spiders land on me, too, Cinnamon. No matter how much one tells oneself that they are harmless, the visceral reaction takes over.

We had a camel spider join us at a desert picnic the other day. Seven adults and eight children ran in various directions (including right into a bush filled with scorpions [Eek!] ). The only person not to flee shrieking in terror was Mrs Fizz, who preferred to have the beast scuttle over her boot rather than spill any of her champagne.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I always suspected Mrs Fizz is a woman of infinite poise and class [Smile]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by Syllavus:
I just found out that a toy I remembered from my childhood was in fact real and NOT my imagination! I always had this memory of a weird etch-a-sketch type thing with a little joystick and a dome, and thought maybe I was crazy, but today I found it on ebay! It's called a Skedoodle.

I still have one of those, but it's pretty worn out. I think that the gold pellets that "refresh" the screen are almost powdered down to nothing, and no matter how much you shake it there are always a few lines visible.

--------------------

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr:
I NFBSKing hate Internet Explorer! I am doomed to use this piece of NFBSK at work, and I have had it up to here with it! Even pages that are "optimized" for use with IE look like NFBSK in it. And pop-ups. Holy God, the pop-ups are driving me crazy, not to mention the lack of ad-blocking and tabbed browsing (and no I can't download google toolbar).

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

[tears hair out!!!]

We got an email at work yesterday saying "Do NOT upgrade to IE7" and recommended using Firefox. We use Lotus Notes at work (a whole other rant, there) and evidently IE7 doesn't play nicely with the calendar in Notes. They sent out an email today saying if we had already installed IE7, not to uninstall it. I can just imagine all the fun the IT department has been having the last couple of days.

--------------------

Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
We use Lotus Notes at work (a whole other rant, there)

I see your Lotus Notes and raise you: Novell Groupwise. Ugh.

My boss and some other people in the company uses Lotus Notes. It does appear to suck, but not as much as Groupwise sucks.

--------------------

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Lotus Notes is teh ebil. I have ranted here many times about it, but I guess that's what happens when a company uses IBM as an their primary provider for laptops. Oh well.

I never thought I'd find an application that makes me think fondly of Outlook.

Lainie: Groupwise? Groupwise? [Eek!]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  29  30  31   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages