snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » The annual Thanksgiving menu thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The annual Thanksgiving menu thread
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 219 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok here it is. The who, what, when, where, etc. As usual, we will be entertaining at my house, although there won't be as many as people as is the norm. We sometimes get a Mid-Shipman or two to come over but I don't know if that's going to happen. Oh well. With stragglers, or friends of the family, or late minute invites there will probably be 15 or so. . We eat at 5pm instead of our usual 1pm.

Appiteasers: Crab-stuffed, bacon wrapped, shrimp; sausage stuffed peppadews; some sort of reanos.

Turkey cooked in my smoker. (Question: can you/should you brine a turkey prior to smoking it?)
Smithfield ham
Tyler Florence's Ultimate Mashed Potatoes
Prosciutto/asparagus bundles
Some sort of dressing, I am leaning towards cornbread
Some sort of sweet potatoes
Some other veggie
Some sort of salad, I'm leaning toward a seven layer.
Home-made cranberry sauce.
Home-made rolls or bread. (That smell always keeps 'em interested)
Additions as I think of them.

What say you-all?

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm serving about 40 people which has become my usual Thanksgiving day crowd. Though I should admit we're celebrating next Saturday rather than on T-day it's self. Here's the menu:

Crudites with vegtable dip
A selection of cheeses and meats with crackes

Raosted Turkey
HoneyBaked Ham
Stuffing
Mashed Potatos
Gravy
Dinner Rolls
Butter
Green Bean Caserole
White Butter Corn
Candied Yams
Cranberry sauce (both jellied and whole berry)
Four layer Jello salad (from my vintage mold)
Cherry/Pineapple salad
Wine

Pineapple empanadas
Pumking Pie
Apple Pie
Coffe and tea

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I go to your dinner? My aunt is doing it this year, and I've never been fond of her Thanksgiving dinners.

My guess for Aunt C's menu:

Turkey (maybe an additional turkey breast)
coleslaw
Aunt A's sweet potato casserole (two years ago, she made two kinds- one with rum and pineapple, one without. I preferred the rum one)
asparagus
green bean casserole
Oyster stuffing
Probably some other funky thing she wants us to be guinea pigs for

My mom's Thanksgiving menu is usually more traditional with a menu of:

Turkey
stuffing
sweet potato casserole
green bean casserole
broccoli
cranberry sauce (jelly and the chunky kind)
potato kugel

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 505 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're at my parents' house, as always (there actually has been a Thanksgiving held there without us, but that's another story! [Big Grin] )
There will be 15-16 people unless my sister's in-laws have something go wrong with their get together, in which case they have been instructed to get their butts over to our house and join us even though sis and her husband won't be in town this year.

There will be, as always:
Turkey done in the oven
Stuffing
Sweet potato casserole
Green bean casserole
Aunt Denise's broccoli, bacon, and who-knows-what-else yummy salad
Ambrosia
Bing cherry salad
Creamed corn
Pecan Pie
Chess Pie
Aunt Eva's Chocolate Pie
Aunt Bet's Cranberry Tea (in the south, we don't care how long a person's been dead, if the recipe came from them, you attribute it to them).

In addition to our traditional items, we will have:
A Sara Lee ham
Mashed sweet potatos with caramelized onions
Various slices of Sara Lee cheesecakes (DH worked for a company that dealt in Sara Lee products)
Peanut butter cookie bars

I am sooooo ready. [Big Grin]

ETA: I forgot Grandma Jane's rolls (although Mom makes them now. When you're 94 we don't make you cook for thanksgiving). Yeah, we have cranberry sauce, but I don't eat it, so I forgot it.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
//hijack// I love green bean casserole, but I was shocked the first time I had it at another person's house. It didn't crunch. We always put water chestnuts and corn in it, so it has crunchies. I love the crunchies.
//back to your regularly scheduled programming//
edited to spell crunch correctly.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea what my mother has planned for the food. I know there'll be all the traditional goodies- turkey, dressing, yams, potatoes, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, and I'm baking the pies (two pumpkin, one apple- I peel my own apples). I think my mom is also making fruit salad- actually, my daughters are doing that for her.

Well... I guess I do have an idea.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pirateslife:
//hijack// I love green bean casserole, but I was shocked the first time I had it at another person's house. It didn't crunch. We always put water chestnuts and corn in it, so it has crunchies. I love the crunchies.
//back to your regularly scheduled programming//
edited to spell crunch correctly.

[Eek!] Egad, you do what? I can almost understand the water chestnuts, but corn? Unless you're in Japan I believe corn should not be an ingredient in anything except corn and maybe a few soups/stews. I always put plenty of those friend onions both in the caserole and on top.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are having 5 people total at our house, and one has only 2 teeth. But have you noticed how many of the traditonal Thanksgiving feast items do not actually require teeth?

Chris' parents are bringing Luby's turkey and dressing, plus his mother is making sweet potato casserole. We will have both kinds of cranberry sauce.

Not sure what else. I'm guessing green bean caserole, parkerhouse rolls, pumpkin pie, salad, and maybe wrapped brie for appetizer. I will probably make a cake as well.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're having:
Spiral Ham (probably maple glazed)
Mashed/creamed potatoes
Butternut squash
Stuffing
Rolls
Some sort of pie - I haven't decided if I'm buying or baking.

And I was going to make peas but after reading about green bean casserole on a couple lists, I might do that instead.

Happy Thanksgiving!

ETA: There will only be 4 of us. Me, SO and his grandparents. I'll be heading up to Mom's on Friday for leftovers (SO has to work).

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife and I are hosting for the first time at our new house.

Slow-cooked turkey that's so tender, the meat falls from the bones.
Stuffing with giblets, celery and chopped apples
Mashed potatoes (with skins)
turkey gravy
Sweet corn in butter sauce
Wilted salad (romain lettuce wilted with a small amount of hot bacon drippings, minced onion and crumbled bacon)
Fruit salad (chopped apple, grape and pecans in whipped cream)
Baked sweet potatoes
Apple pie
Cherry pie
Sour cream and raisin pie

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot about greens. Collard greens.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one in the history of all mankind who doesn't like that green bean casserole? Must not be. My niece used to bring it every year, only to take it back home, untouched. [lol]

Me:
cornbread dressing
mac & cheese
potato salad
gravy

Daughter-in-law
turkey
ham
candied sweet potatoes & other vegetables
rolls
banana pudding
pies

Since my mother-in-law died, we gradually drifted away from huge family thingys for holidays but do get together at other times. Nowadays we mostly celebrate holidays in our own small family group. We'll go to my son's Wednesday evening and come home Thursday evening or early Friday morning. One daughter is in Georgia and the other one has five children and four grandchildren with another on the way, so she is having all of them at her house.

Will somebody please tell them what causes babies? Thankyewverymuch. [Wink]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister (the chef) is in charge of Thanksgiving. This is the menu she sent me a few days ago:

Honey Baked Ham
Rotisserie Chicken
deviled eggs
dinner rolls
mashed potatoes
zucchini salad
cranberry sauce
stuffing
apple crisp
pumpkin pie

Pretty traditional, except for the lack of turkey. It'll be fantastic.

Apparently though Lizzy and I will be fighting over the deviled eggs. [Smile]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm expecting 6-7, one of whom is a toddler. We're having...

Appetizers (10:00am - 12:00):
Low-fat crab and cheese wontons
Deviled eggs
Assorted veggies with ranch dip

Soup and Salad course (12:00):
Wild Rice and Mushroom bisque
Mixed green salad

Meal (2:30):
Roasted turkey breast
Gravy
Mashed potatos
Old-fashioned country stuffing
Green bean casserole
Harvest Vegetable Medley (a frozen veggie blend from Target that we season up)
Cranberry sauce (jelly kind. DH likes it can-shaped. I'm pondering making the dipping sauce kind too.)
Some kind of fluffy pastel-colored salad thing
Green Jello with pears (the lamest family tradition ever)
Texas toast with butter
Cornbread muffins

Dessert:
Traditional pumpkin pie
Dad's Chocolate chip pie
Pumpkin spice bundt cake
(Everyone takes home half a dessert.)

ETA: BTW, it's my first time hosting Thanksgiving. Wish me luck!

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We'll be going down to the wife's grandmother (who's suffering from shingles), and there will be six of us. That said, I think our menu is boring compared to everyone elses:

Turkey
Stuffing
Gravy (which I make personally - I'm the only one who knows how)
Butternut Squash
Mashed Potatoes
Green beans with mushrooms
cranberry sauce
rolls
Assorted red and white wines (from which I will drink the most and proceed get belligerent when we play dominos.)

Apple pie
Chocolate squares
Maybe a blueberry pie if I'm lucky

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DakotaPride
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotaPride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having 16 people here for dinner.
Menu will be:
roasted Turkey
Sage dressing
whipped potatoes
candied sweet potatoes
corn pudding (kinda like scalloped corn)
Fruit salad
jello salad
cranberry relish
home made butter-horn rolls
3 bean salad
and of course the family tradional green bean casserole (ick)

Dessert:
pumpkin pie
apple pie
Peach pie
cherry pie
and chocolate cherry cake for my FIL

Typing this made me hungry!
edited cuz whipping potatoes sounded kinda kinky

Posts: 212 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanksgiving dinner will be at my aunt's house and the usual faire is Polish and American:

turkey
fresh kielbasa
peirogi (both cheese and potato, and sauerkraut)
golabki
mashed potatoes
stuffing
dinner rolls
cranberry sauce (whole and jellied)
green bean casserole
cauliflower bake
kolaczki
apple pie
pumpkin pie
wine
wine
wine
wine
oh, and maybe some wine.

Damn it, I'm hungry.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like green bean casserole either.

//hijack//How do you make candied yams? Mine always come out bad. //end hijack//

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My SO stepmom is making the following:

Roast Beef
Turkey
Ham
Mashed potatoes
Mac and Cheese
Corn
Stuffing
Green beans
some carrot thingie
cranberry Sauce
Some other stuff I won't eat
Some sort of cake ( I am thinking Strawberry)
and whatever else anyone wants.

I am making Pecan Pie, but I want to do it differently this year so I am going to look around for some different recipes.

My son's father doesnt do thanksgiving, so I will just be hanging out with my son for a few hours until they decide they are going to Denny's to eat. But to them its not a big deal type of holiday.

E*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're eating at Paula Deen's The Lady and Her Sons restaurant in Savannah for T'giving. If I'm still mobile afterward, I'll give you a report.

Brad "take a half pound of buttah and a quart of heavy cream...." from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annabohly:
...//hijack//How do you make candied yams? Mine always come out bad. //end hijack//

I usually follow directions on the can to be honest. I also make mine the day before and refrigerate until I'm ready to put them in the oven.

What specifically is wrong with the ones you make?

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
annabohly, if you use canned sweet potatoes, drain the liquid, add some butter or margarine and brown sugar to it, maybe a little cinnamon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it thickens a tad. Put 'taters in a baking dish, pour sauce over them, bake at 350° about 30 minutes. If you want marshmallows, cover the top and put back in oven for a few minutes utill the marshmallows brown on top. This is pretty good and easier than starting from scratch. If you're really in a hurry, just dump the potatoes, juice and all, in the baking dish, sprinkle brown sugar over the top, put some pieces of butter or margarine over that and bake. The sauce won't be quite as thick, but they'll still taste good.

To start from scratch:
Scrub and bake or steam sweet potatoes. Peel, cut them into pieces and place in baking dish. Pour sauce over them and bake at 350° about 15 minutes. I like to cut them in half, lengthwise, and put them in a flat pan, but if you don't have room in the oven, cut them in smaller pieces and put them in a dish that takes up less room.
For sauce:
Melt some butter or margarine, stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved, add a little lemon juice and mix in.

You can also mash the potatoes, mix in brown sugar and/or spices, a little melted butter or margarine, an egg and bake, either with or without marshmallows on top. Some people put drained crushed pineapple, pecans, orange juice, or other things in their sweet potato dishes, but we like ours plain. I bet there are as many ways to fix sweet potatoes as there are ways to make meatloaf!

My favorite way to do sweet potatoes is plain and simple. Bake, peel while hot, put butter or margarine on them, eat.

Edited because it's "potato," not "potatoe" (Didn't Dan Quayle teach me anything?) and to say
"Brad "take a half pound of buttah and a quart of heavy cream...." from Georgia"
shouldn't that be a "qwaut" of heavy cream? How do you spell "qwaut," anyway? [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
thanks Signora, seems simple enough. Whenever i make them they never come out tasting sweet. I'm an excellent cook otherwise just sweet potatoes and cobblers I can't make.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome. Sorry I don't have a specific recipe. It reminds me of the time I asked my mother-in-law how to make egg noodles. She started out by saying, "Well, you take about as much flour as you think you're going to need. . ." I never did make those noodles. Turns out you have to leave them out to dry overnight so they won't fall apart when you drop them in the boiling liquid. Never mind. I'll just stick to dumplings. [lol]

I can't make good cobblers, either, but my mother made the best cobblers, especially blackberry, I ever ate, bar none.

--------------------

Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dinner at mom's place for about 17 of us.

Turkey
Dressing (cornbread for us Southern kids)
Stuffing (White bread for the Northern family)
gravy
mashed potatoes
cheese onions
sweet potato casserole (I make this)
some random veggies
fruit salad
veggie tray
relish tray
cranberry sauce from a can
rolls

pumpkin pie
cheesecakes
other pies

And lots and lots of home brewed iced tea

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well lets see we aren't eating till around 3ish so we will snack on

veggies and dip
meat cheese and crackers
spinach dip and pumpernickel bread

Main Course
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Lasagna
Ham
Pineapple Stuffing
Stuffed Cabbage
Garlic Bread
Regular Homemade Bread and Buns
Broccoli Salad
Green Bean Casserole with Slivered Almonds
Corn for the kids
Tossed Salad

Desert consists of just about anything!I am making a new recipe for:
Pineapple Angel food Cake / Then there's always
Cherry Pie
Blackberry Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Peach Pie
Banana Cream Pie
Coconut Cream Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Crumb Dessert

I think that about covers our Thanksgiving we will have a lot of family in from out of town we are expecting around 45 people and leftovers are going to be appreciated the next day. We are having it at my sisters and yes thank heavens there is an open bar and a full wine rack. Tons of family fun children and games, reminisicing of years gone by and thankfulness for what what we have been given.

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
We're eating at Paula Deen's The Lady and Her Sons restaurant in Savannah for T'giving. If I'm still mobile afterward, I'll give you a report.

Brad "take a half pound of buttah and a quart of heavy cream...." from Georgia

I'm so jealous....I love her cooking show.

--------------------

Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Appetizers: Goldfish and whiskey, in honor of my grandfather and his brothers. [Big Grin]

It's the usual menu for us except my uncle is being elusive about doing the turkey this year. Normally, he smokes it; as much as I like it, I wish he'd just say yay or nay before my mom blows a fuse and throws a coup in my grandmother's kitchen.

Otherwise:
Gravy (brown, turkey, and giblet)
Stuffing (in-turkey and "secret reciepe")
Butter beans
Cranberry sauce (with and without skins)
Green tomato pickle
Sweet potato casserole
Rice (Saffron and white)
Rolls
Pumpkin pie
Mincemeat pie
Orange Pound cake
Whatever ice cream/sherbert we have in the freezer

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover   Author's Homepage   E-mail Heroic Muse, Catfish Lover   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to my parents in New York, which has been the family tradition for as long as I can remember. This year we're having 17 people... my parents are looking into various ways to rearrange the dining room to fit everyone.

I'm not sure of everything we're having, but I know we're having

Turkey and stuffing (of course)
Cranberry sauce with walnuts and various other fruits
Sweet potato/marshmallow casserole
Noodle pudding
Sweet potatoes
baked potatoes
broccoli
eggplant parmesean
Durky (green bean/onion casserole)

and for dessert we have a choice of
Apple pie
cherry pie
pumpkin pie
peanut butter pie
pecan pie
banana bread pudding
sweet potato pie
my dad's homemade cookies

not to mention that before dinner we'll have a snack table with a vegetable platter, dried fruit, nuts, cheese and crackers.

I will be very proud of my moderation while visiting with my family this year... I've lost nearly 20 pounds since September and I intend to keep them off.

Heroic Muse

--------------------
Elsie Worthing and the Hydra's Curse
Can one small girl overcome the darkness within to thrive at Hogwarts?
http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=57042
In memory of David Newton (1962-2006)

Posts: 689 | From: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
-Turkey (I cook in the oven bags, always comes out moist, don't use a Butterball or it turns to mush)
-My mother's secret recipe stuffing which I am so cruelly forcing her to adapt because my husband has Celiac disease and cannot have wheat, rye, or barley.
-My husband's garlic mashed red potatoes
-Cranberry sauce even though I'm the only one that likes it.
-Probably green beans with bacon and portobello mushrooms.
-Gluten-free pumpkin cheesecake.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had an early Thanksgiving last night so my parents and in-laws could avoid holiday traffic in their long drives up from So. Cal.

It was meant for 12 people but ended up serving 10:

Kung Pao turkey with pumpkin seeds
Stir-fried green beans with red/orange/yellow bell peppers
Black rice
Mashed sweet potatoes and yams with sweetened gingered coconut milk and five-spice powder
Cranberry-tangerine dressing with five-spice powder
Steamed tri-color (red, orange, yellow) carrots tossed with sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds
Plum wine sorbet
Carrot cake (my mother simply makes the Best. Carrot Cake. Ever.)

Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you make sweet potato casserole, that sounds yummy and i have tons of sweet potatos to use because i picked them up on special when i went shopping.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nurple:
fresh kielbasa
peirogi (both cheese and potato, and sauerkraut)
golabki

I am so jealous. While I can make peirogi and golabki, I am unable to obtain fresh kielbasa here. Who decided smoked was best? Not me.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ange84, I'll try & find my MILs recipe & e-mail it to you. It has creamy sweet potatoes & a nutty topping. Its really, really good!!

Y'all are making us feel like Thanksgiving slackers! We're pretty traditional. Ham & turkey, mashed potatoes, etc. I am really only looking forward to the ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole & pumpkin pie. I'd probably love it a lot more if I could go to a restaurant & then walk away instead of cleaning up!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ange84:
How do you make sweet potato casserole, that sounds yummy and i have tons of sweet potatos to use because i picked them up on special when i went shopping.

This recipe is really close to what we make. There are lots of other methods, but for my money, it's not sweet potato casserole unless mini-marshmallows are involved. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages