snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Pregnancy, Adoption, & Parenting: Round 3 (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Pregnancy, Adoption, & Parenting: Round 3
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Update on Little Blue's weird growth:

We went to the Dr yesterday and it's shrinking! It looks like it's probably just overgrown muscle tissue from where the 2 halves of the hard palate come together, thank God. His hips have loosened up, as well, and, for now, no splint necessary. I'm so relieved. He's also gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks, the chunky little monkey, so no problems there. [Smile]

He shot off the pee cannon on the exam table, though. At first the nurse was laughing because it was hitting me and I was hallooing and ducking about, but then, much to her consternation, it whipped around in her direction, and it was her turn to shriek and hop around. The Dr walked into the chaos and seemed rather amused. I had the feeling it made her day, actually. After all, it hadn't been her.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dropbear:

Biggest recent example is Star Wars - we played the 2 Lego Star Wars games together and he didn't rest until he'd put all the pieces of the story together: "Anakin was a goodie wasn't he dad? But then he became baddie and turned into Darth Vader but the he fought the emperor and was a goodie again. Only the goodies come back as ghosts like Obi-wan and Yoda, the baddies don't come back as ghosts so you have to be a goodie and then you come back. But thats just pretend in Star Wars. Our cat died and she didn't come back. Do you like Lego Star Wars Dad?"

I think what gets to me most is the continual trying to keep a balance between allowing him to be a very young 5 with a belief in magic and also trying to be honest with him because I really believe in telling kids the truth.

First of all... Lego Star Wars ROCKS.

Second of all... you could always say that Santa is a goodie who became a ghost, and ghosts don't die... it's kind of an extension (or possibly simplification) of the whole "Santa used to be a real person (Saint Nicholas). the real person is dead, but everyone gets together to make sure his spirit lives on, and spirits and ideas don't die."

You got one smart little cookie there. Whatever way you go with it, just be sure you tell him, "Lots of people still believe in Santa, so let's not spoil their fun, okay? It'll be our little secret." [Smile]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Algae and Alex are playing trucks. Alex has 2 big trucks and he set them up in order at one end of the living room and started saying "vvvvvrrrrooooommmm" to Daddy. And then waited. And when Daddy didn't get it the first time, Alex did it again.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Frank giggled for the first time today! [Smile] Both hubby and I heard it, while hubby was playing with him. He wasn't even trying to make him laugh or anything. Then, I tried to get it on video, naturally, the kid stopped laughing. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man, the first time I go out of town and leave Rowan with Daddy, she gets horribly sick! He did a great job taking care of her, but now he feels like a failure even though it's totally not his fault. She was fine Wednesday, and Thursday she was tired at daycare. Hubby started telling me on the phone Friday morning that she didn't seem very hungry and she was tired. I asked if he had taken her temperature and he had never even thought of that, her temp was 102.6! She had a sinus infection that never developed a fever or really even bothered her, and it spread into both ears and made her super sick overnight.

It's been a rough few days, she seems to be recovering but she still feels puny and she has all kinds of medicine that she truly hates. Unfortunately, she's pretty good at not taking medicine. She starts blowing raspberries as soon as she sees the medicine coming!

And that reminds me, everyone talks about some milestones, like crawling and walking and sitting up. But my favorites have been the ones nobody mentions. Like now Rowan makes jokes, putting her pacifier in my mouth or her toys on her head, and then laughs. And she knows how to help with getting dressed by shoving her arms through the armholes. Little stuff like that that every adult knows and every kid has to figure out but they aren't on the charts. The chart milestones come along every once and a while, but the other stuff appears every single day. Or maybe I'm just easily entertained.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Khaled and Saleh's first jokes were coughing. Just two little "kak-kak" coughs. The first time either of them did it, I got all worried that they were getting sick, but they just kept doing it over and over, so I went "kak-kak" back at them. BIG smiles and they went "kak-kak" back at me. Fun was had by all, and they thought it was the funniest thing in the world, the both of them.

Kids are full of great little things like that. And yeah, they tend to come along more often than the standard milestone things. They're something else, huh? [Big Grin]

LPP, I've been meaning to ask how Little Blue's belly button was doing. Should be all cleared up by now, but I just wanted to check. If there's still kind of a scab in there, get some alcohol wipes and don't be afraid to clean it out of there. I was a little freaked out when I saw the ped do that with Saleh, but he didn't complain in the slightest, and it looked MUCH better after it was done.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
Khaled and Saleh's first jokes were coughing. Just two little "kak-kak" coughs. The first time either of them did it, I got all worried that they were getting sick, but they just kept doing it over and over, so I went "kak-kak" back at them. BIG smiles and they went "kak-kak" back at me. Fun was had by all, and they thought it was the funniest thing in the world, the both of them.

Christina's first joke was similar. She gave me the most pitiful face, [Frown] like she was about to cry, and I said "Oh! What's the matter?!" and she gave me a huge happy grin. [Big Grin] It was a fun game for everyone.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

OMG, Spam... not... THE LIP! Ya know, that thing where they do this funky flat thing with their bottom lip... which can either be accompanied by that really-trying-to-fight-back-tears face or that someone-is-jamming-splinters-under-my-toenails face. You know. THE LIP. [Smile] Every time I see that, I just go... "Uh-oh... here we go." But that's so sweet that Baby Spam makes a joke out of it. [Smile]

Saleh loves to do what my mom calls "motor boating," which is an audible lips-only raspberry. Where we have our diaper changing thing set up, the wipes get cold, so when I change his diaper, I go, "Here it comes. Oooh, brrrrr (motor boat sound). That's cold!" Now, Saleh motor boats every time we change his diaper. Too funny.

--------------------

I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yeah, Rowan has the most pitiful lip quiver with hurt, angry eyes. I swear, she deserves an Oscar, you'd think she had the hardest life ever to see that face. And it's because I took the computer cord away from her or something mean like that.

Facial expressions are so much fun. Rowan has a face she makes when eating that looks like she's experiencing the most horrible taste ever. it is the taste I would make if I got nailpolish in my mouth or something. But that's not what it means for Rowan, it actually goes with foods she likes or new tastes. So she's grimacing and shoveling the food into her mouth as fast as she can. "This is awful, give me some more!"

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only bad thing about the facial expressions is that you can never actually capture them on camera to remember.

New game! I make an (unrealistic) elephant noise and swing my arm like a trunk. If you ask Alex to be an elephant, he squeals and lifts his arm.

--------------------

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually managed to get one photo of DD doing this awful grimacing thing she briefly did, at about 4-6 months, in lieu of smiling. She would form her lips into a rectangle. It started months after she'd learned to smile spontaneously (and normally). It didn't last long, I suspect because everyone around her reacted so negatively to it.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

quote:
Originally posted by Algae:
The only bad thing about the facial expressions is that you can never actually capture them on camera to remember.

Sometimes you can, but it's WAAAAY more luck than skill.

-

--------------------

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, the lip...we call it the boo-boo lip here. He looks so unbelieveably pathetic when he sticks it out.

And, as for milestones that don't go in the baby book...when you set Frank down on his changing mat, he immediately lifts both legs into the air, clearing the way for you to open up his onesie, remove his diaper, etc. As soon as the onesie has been snapped closed, after said diaper change, he'll lower his legs. He even keeps them aloft while I grab a new wipe (you know how they all stick together and it sometimes takes a few seconds?) and his bottom is nekkid. [lol]

--------------------

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister had professional pics done of the girls for us for Christmas. I wish I could post them, but because of copyright...

Anyway, there's one where Rina and L are grinning at the camera, and Mia's staring at the camera with a face that can only be described as a "WTF Face". It is the funniest thing I've ever seen. Of course, when the photographer put some of them online, she didn't put that one up, so I can't even link. [Frown]

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Fed
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Fed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all.

Just an update to the theme of the thread.

The adoption process for Feddite #3 is going slowly. We're going to China this time. Our full dossier went to China in November 2005, and it doesn't look like we will be traveling until June of 2007 or so. China's timeline expands and contracts over the years, depending in part on demand.

Fortunately, the first two keep us plenty busy.

-

--------------------
With occasional, half-hearted, semi-literate blogging comes great responsibility.

Posts: 1621 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dental question: I noticed this weekend that one of Rina's top front teeth is grey. Mom suspects she may have fallen on it and damaged the root. It doesn't seem to bother her, though, and I don't see any bruising or anything like that. Any ideas on what the problem might be? We won't be able to get her to a dentist before the New Year, unless it's an emergency.

Of course, it could be that she got ahold of a Sharpie and drew on it, for all I know. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AW, is the tooth smooth or rough? Alyssa had one baby tooth that didn't have an enamel coat. It was rough and brownish-grey.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

It's smooth, and it just recently turned grey. I did some googling, and some sites say she needs a root canal. [Eek!] I'd rather just wait and see and if she acts like it hurts, get it pulled. I would hate to subject a 3yo to a root canal, especially because she's got a strong genetic background of phobias!

--------------------

tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't have a root canal done on a 3 year olds baby tooth. When they discussed what to do about Alyssa's we were told if anything, they would pull it and probably put in a spacer until the adult tooth started coming in. If need-be, that is the root I would look at if possible for Rina. I was told it was cheaper and less traumatic for the kids.

Especially where it is a front one, I wouldn't recommend just having it pulled without at least discussing a spacer. She may end up not having enough room for her adult teeth to come in right if she doesn't. But of course, your dentist would know best if she needs one.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

My brother hit his baby tooth on something and hurt it, basically killing the nerve in it. The dentist and mom decided to keep it in as a spacer until it fell out. But, he was a boy and pretty proud of the black tooth. I don't if your daughter would feel differently about that.

Mr. Fed, your kids sure are cuties! They're growing up so fast!

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor pumpkin!

You should get her into the dentist as soon as possible; if she did have some trauma, the tooth will only survive so long without treatment.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Angl, the only thing I found online was root canal, or pulling the tooth. A root canal or "wait and see" were the only options given to save it. Not the best options, which is why I asked here if anyone else has had this happen. [Frown] We're keeping an eye on it; J swears up and down it's not as dark as it was this weekend, and she's not acting like it bothers her. One site said it can go away. Only half the tooth is grey, like a streak down it, and it's not very dark.

That, and I don't think we can get in to a dentist this week, with everyone booking last minute cosmetic stuff for the holidays. If they're open at all. [Frown] She's not acting like it hurts. If it gets darker in the next day or two we'll do some checking.

Poor kid. She's got a scar under her nose from getting stitches before her first birthday; I'd hate to add a gap-tooth grin at 3 to it!

--------------------

Arrow-Tech IV
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arrow-Tech IV   E-mail Arrow-Tech IV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a similar experience to what Algae describes. I fell and hit my front right tooth as a three-year-old. The tooth was effectively dead, but it was very important to keep it as a spacer, so the dentist did a root canal and "filled" the tooth, so that it was yellow instead of black. These actions also protected the adult tooth in the gum below from decay.

I have never needed braces or had a cavity. My adult tooth came in beautifully.

If we'd waited longer before seeing a dentist, the situation would not have turned out as happily.

I would say that Rina should see a dentist ASAP also.

Posts: 955 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

It doesn't look as dark this morning, but I'm going to call the two dentists in town this morning and see what they say. Maybe I'll luck out and they can squeeze me in. If not, can her ped look at it?

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Kitten had her annual physical yesterday. 52.8 pounds, 46 inches.

Dr. F asked about her brain development (since she had lead poisoning when she was younger): "How is she doing in school? Does she know her letters?"

I reached behind me and grabbed a book at random off the shelf, opened it to a random page, and said, "Julia, read this for Dr. F."

Julia read: "On the morning of her sixteenth birthday, the princess climbed the to tallest tower in the castle and found a little room. Inside there was an old woman, sitting at a spinning wheel, spinning thread. 'May I try?' the princess asked. 'Of course, my dear," said the old woman. The princess sat down at the spinning wheel and immediately pricked her finger on the spindle. Instantly she feel into a deep, deep sleep."

Dr. F said, "Maybe we should feed all the children lead!" [Wink]

I am truly, truly blessed.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Auntie,
I've never had that situation come up, but I imagine if nothing else, the ped could make kiddo more comfy until the dentist was available.

4K,
The kitten's got awesome teachers/role parents in her mom and stepdad, so of COURSE she's gonna rock!

How old is she by the way? I could have sworm she was only slightly younger than my 7-year-old, but my girl's 4'5" and 80 pounds. I know we grow 'em big in my family, but now I'm thinking we grow 'em HUGE in my family.

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Julie0917
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie0917   E-mail Julie0917   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AW -

I had the same thing happen to me when I was about 8. Brother tackled me and I hit my front tooth on the table. Nerve died, tooth turned gray. Didn't have a root canal until I was in high school for it. Had no real problems with it. The root canal required no anasthesia because the nerve was dead. (YMMV)

I am not sure what the ramifications are for a baby tooth, just thought I would share my .02!

Good luck!

Julie

Posts: 205 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

AW... damage (as others have pointed out) is the #1 cause of tooth discoloration. However, I also heard once--many, many moons ago--that teeth will discolor if a child eats a lot of toothpaste. Ya know, since they make it so minty and yummy. Couldn't say for sure which it is, but I wanted to offer that as another possibility. A dentist will tell you for sure if it's nerve damage. But eating toothpaste is very BAD for you, especially the littler you are. In large enough quantities, it's actually a poison. But more likely, it's nerve damage from a big bump or she put something in her mouth that leaked color... since it's a baby tooth, and not causing her any pain, I wouldn't go all weird about root canals or anything since it's just going to fall out in a few years.

4K, that is just awesome! I bet your doc's jaw near bounced on the floor after that. YAY, KITTEN!

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loyhargil:
How old is she by the way? I could have sworm she was only slightly younger than my 7-year-old, but my girl's 4'5" and 80 pounds. I know we grow 'em big in my family, but now I'm thinking we grow 'em HUGE in my family.

The Kitten's 6th birthday was one week ago. [Smile] There's a picture here.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I LOVE her pink fluffy cake! And apparently I need to read the unhijakable thread more often, oopsy!

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Usually, flouride discoloration is brownish, not gray.

I only know this because I've had friends from rural areas with discolored teeth because the flouride in their city water was too high.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Auntie - When I finally got around to taking DD for her first dentist visit (she was 4 - Bad Mommy!) she had the same thing with one of her front teeth. It's not truly gray, just kind of dingy, not really white like the others. From the x-rays they could tell that there was some damage to the root, but nothing serious. They said wait and see and the worst thing that would happen would be that it wouldn't fall out on its own. Well, it's been loose now for a year with no signs of falling out. I guess I need to get her back in to see the dentist again. DOYC, I hate going to the dentist!

Dropbear - Your boy kills me. I think he and Meg are sharing a brain. Ever since my BIL's mom passed away she's been facinated by death and what happens after. The other day she wanted to know why people don't put christmas lights up at the cemetary since the dead people live there. She was very happy when we went back by in the daylight to see that at least some had wreaths so they weren't totally undecorated.

4K - I'm really impressed by Julia's reading. Meg's the best in her kindergarten class (she turns 6 in 2 1/2 weeks) and it took her 30 minutes to read "Curious George and the Bunny" aloud last night. Of, course she spent 10 minutes laughing because she mispronounced something and it made the sentence way funnier. This story would be funnier if I could remember what she said [Smile] .

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
AW... damage (as others have pointed out) is the #1 cause of tooth discoloration. However, I also heard once--many, many moons ago--that teeth will discolor if a child eats a lot of toothpaste. Ya know, since they make it so minty and yummy. Couldn't say for sure which it is, but I wanted to offer that as another possibility.

As mouse goddess pointed out, fluorisis is a very different discoloration that what might be caused by the death of a tooth. Fluorisis looks like this, whereas discoloration caused by tooth death looks more like this.

Fluorosis is generally caused by ingesting too much fluoride, which can happen when well-supplied water has too much naturally-ocurring fluoride in it, or when an over-eager, underinformed pediatrician dispenses fluoride drops for patients without knowing the fluoride content of the patient's water supply.

Eating enough toothpaste to cause fluorosis would probably kill a child.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

quote:
Originally posted by mouse goddess:
Usually, flouride discoloration is brownish, not gray.

I only know this because I've had friends from rural areas with discolored teeth because the flouride in their city water was too high.

Always good to know the difference. I only knew that it caused discoloration, not that it was a different color. Thanks for the info! AnglRdr too! [Smile]

--------------------

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Frank is now 23 inches long and 13 pounds. He'll be three months old tomorrow. Everyone around me keeps commenting that he's big for his age, but I honestly have no idea. I do know it feels like I'm lugging around a sack of potatoes all day. Also, he was sleeping through the night, eight or nine hours, but the last several days, he's only gone five or six. He'll eat nine ounces at about ten pm, about seven at 3am, and then another seven or eight 6 or 7am. The other two feedings eac day, he'll usually have about nine ounces. Is this a lot?

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages