snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Pregnancy, Adoption, & Parenting: Round 3 (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Pregnancy, Adoption, & Parenting: Round 3
Amethyst Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Amethyst Dragon   E-mail Amethyst Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once again Don Erico, congratulations! [Big Grin]
Posts: 255 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don Erico... that's great news and welcome to the thread! Feel free to inundate us with a zillion silly questions. We all remember that the first time around, being a new parent seems like such a daunting thing. In 5 years (probably sooner), you'll look back and think, "Why was I so freaked out about X?" But when it's all new, it's often hard to get perspective. And that's a GOOD thing... kind of. Worrying means that you care about being a good parent. So try to take it all in stride, and we'll be here for when you have questions. [Smile]

Jackie... awesome to hear from you again, and thanks for sharing a picture of Malia! [Smile] Wow, time flies! It doesn't seem like all that long ago that you were posting her brand new baby pic and now she's sitting up and EVERYTHING. If she's not walking yet, she will be soon... LOOK OUT! [lol]

Zorro... nose suctioning is the worst. When Khaled used to have head colds, he'd nurse for a few seconds, then unlatch to gasp for a few breaths of air, then go back to nurse for a few seconds. As much as he hated it, the best thing for us to do was to suction him really good right before feeding him. That might work best for you too. Khaled would thrash so much that we had to bodily hold him down so he couldn't move or kick or push the bulb aspirator out of the way or move his head... absolutely heartbreaking, and I felt awful, but it's what needed to be done. Thankfully, Saleh hasn't gotten any bad colds yet, but I know it won't be long, what with winter being on our doorstep and all that. You can also try a humidifier, as this might help keep him clear.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats Don Erico! Great news!

Girls, how long did your American Dr's make you wait postpartum before you could take a bath (rather than a shower)? I'm dying for a long, hot soak.

Zorro and PI, re suctioning: you should see the Hungarian method. It's a tube system that hooks up to your vacuum cleaner. [Eek!]

But I have to admit, it works really, really well. [Wink]

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was double teamed by adoption weirdness this weekend. In two completely unrealated events I ran into my daughter's birth mom and a mutual friend revealed that he had figured out who she is.
I was in another town on Saturday and while it occured to me that she might possibly be there I was still surprised. The mom was totally cool about it and wished Littl-Aud happy birthday. Her daughter was very clingy and wanted to play with the baby again. It was similar to our (much more planned) meeting last June. I'm still well sort of weird about how to handle this in the future.

The thing with my friend happened on Sunday after I was home. There just aren't that many people who know us both and could put it all together. I wonder if a everyone we both know figured it out if it was just this one guy. I had a talk with him about Little_Aud's right to privacy and right to find out things in her own time and not through the grapevine. He swore he wouldn't tell anyone.

Still very surprised.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don Enrico - Congratulations!

I was 37 when the Boy Wonder entered this world. He's now 5. You'll do fine. The great advantage of being older is that you have a lot of maturity and experience and can identify problems and set out ways of managing them - this is also the great disadvantage [Smile] .

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jackie she is gorgeous!! Those eyes are just beautiful!! I hope Daddy in the Elevator has his shotgun all ready because those boys will come a'knockin!!

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, I'm a shower-taker so I don't think I'll be of much help. I would *guess* that after the major blood loss of all that locchia has passed (ya know, when you're down to that annoying spotting that seems to go on FOREVER), I would think it would be okay. If you still have a really heavy flow, I would hold off. However, I would also assume that if you start feeling sleepy or dizzy or weak at all while in the tub to get out IMMEDIATELY. Of course, my best advice is to ask your doctor what they recommend.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe my child will be six years old tomorrow. Seems only a few weeks ago that I plucked her from beneath that cabbage leaf....

We had crumb cake for dessert tonight. For some unknown reason Julia insists on calling it Crumple Muffins instead of crumb cake. [Confused]

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, my doctors told me it would be best to stick with showers as long as there was any lochia present. [Frown] Fortunately, since I had a c-section, that didn't last as long for me as it did for some other women. [Wink]

Frank is much better today, which makes me hopeful that his immune system takes after hubby and not me. [Smile] Hubby is sick the past couple of days, though. [Frown] He thinks it might even be a bit of a flu. (He got a flu shot, so maybe it won't be as bad.) He virtually never calls in sick, and he did today, which tells me how truly awful he does feel.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jackie, your daughter's a real beauty; she's got so much personality shining out of her little face. It seems like just yesterday you were posting to tell us that the agency had found you a tiny little preemie who'd been left all alone in the NICU, and now look at her! I've seldom seen a child who looked healthier or happier.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, My doctor never said anything about not taking baths, which was a good thing, because I would go in for a soak, and when the baby got hungry, I'd add cold water to cool the water down so it was safe for her, and then sponge her down while I nursed her. I'd say it was from two weeks on or so, after her cord stump fell out.

TMI SPACE:

While I was still bleeding, I just folded up a towel between my legs while I was in there. I also did the same for Rina, after one unfortunate bath where I seemed to forget that babies like to poop after eating. [Eek!]

ETA: I don't see why a hot soak would be a problem, because they had me in a tub "as hot as you can stand it" within hours of having both girls. It was SOP in our hospital; they said the hot water was soothing and the gentlest way of cleaning things up down there.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This morning was the first morning in 2 weeks that the Boy Wonder (5) hadn't crawled into bed with us at about 5:40am. Accordingly by 6:30 Mrs D and I were awake wondering what had happened to him - decided he was just sleepy and decided to have a cuddle.

Of course just as the cuddle started to get even slightly interesting in the boy pops and says "Oh its nice to see you kissing - I haven't seen you do that since I was 4!"

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you all for doting on my daughter....she is pretty cute huh? :-) It is unbelievable how much those little ones change your life and make you wonder how you got along without them.

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the info guys! I was told at some point that you had to wait 6 weeks before bath time (or boy time) to avoid infection. I thought that seemed a little long, at least for the bath. [Wink]

I am so going to take a long, hot soak when DH gets home and can watch the kids. I can't wait!

AW, that's a good idea about bathing baby while you're at it. Little Blue is a serious pooper, though. I don't know if I could risk it, even with a towel. He's gone in his bath twice, and poops about every other time I change him. It doesn't matter how long I wait after a meal, or if I tuck his legs up before hand, that kid is going to explode on the changing table. He's nailed me twice, and once sprayed the floor 2 feet behind me. And that's not even counting the ever present danger of being hit with the pee cannon.

It's a war zone, I tell you!

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
doofusmongerbeep
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doofusmongerbeep     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
And that's not even counting the ever present danger of being hit with the pee cannon.

[lol] [lol]
I'll have to use that phrase when my little boy is born (due Jan 15th). "Watch out for the pee cannon!" hehe!

Posts: 150 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arrow-Tech IV
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arrow-Tech IV   E-mail Arrow-Tech IV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so excited to be able to see Malia now. She's BEAUTIFUL! (Imagine that I'm singing the word.) I'm so excited for you, Jackie.

Hooray!

Isn't it strange how quickly these babies change? "To the Virgins to Make Much of Time" has an extra poignancy now that I see my little guy growning up so quickly. And, perhaps because I have a baby, I have found numerous silver hairs (on myself, not the baby) [Smile] . At first I tried to tweeze them out...but now I'm afraid that that would begin a long tradition leading to baldness. [fish]

Posts: 955 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

[Big Grin] Arrow, if I ever did my hair a la Marge Simpson, I'd have Bride of Frankenstein streaks on both sides. As plus sides, as I wear my hair down, they are mostly hidden... also, I don't really give a damn about it. I joke that I earned every one of 'em and kinda pout when one falls out. But then I started getting all salt-and-peppery at the temples LONG before having children, so I don't really have anyone to blame... [Big Grin]

Saleh is asleep in his swing right now. It's been a great day. He slept till almost noon (YAY). Bit my leg--tried to hickey it, really--and left a little bit of bloody drool. He won't let me near his mouth, but I'm guessing that big-ass bump from yesterday was a tooth thiiiiis close to popping through and finally did. The bump looks smaller today but he won't let me touch to feel if there's a sharp little tooth sticking out. Khaled had a little fit, throwing Saleh off from his nap that he wanted to take at 1:30pm, but Khaled was quiet at 3:30, and Saleh's been in his swing since 4 (right now, it's 5:39--a seriously long nap, given how he's been lately).

The cutest thing in the world, tho, (and I DID get pictures of this) is how Saleh is perfectly content to snooze away with what I call "a Tinkertoy head." God knows why I call it that, but I'm referring to that thing that only babies and certain birds are capable of doing without being in abject pain... sleeping with his head lolling clear to one side, as if we have to give thanks to neck skin for keeping it attached! I even try turning my head the way he's got it now, and I'm in danger of crushing a vertebrae.

Babies... go fig.

--------------------

Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops, I completely forgot in my last post -

Congrats, Don Enrico!!!

--------------------

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been in a funk lately, so I haven't been posting too much.

Jackie, Malia is adorable.

I took Alex in for his 15-month well-baby and shots last week. Everything is fine with him, except he's not really speaking yet. "Ma" is his current favorite syllable. I know what he wants. I know he understands me. (For example, the other day the gate was off the stairs. Alex, recognizing an opportunity, began to crawl up them. I looked at him and told him if he crawled up those stairs, it would be naptime. He didn't even hesitate before he crawled downstairs.) But when the doctor asked if he's saying about 5 words...

Now, my mom says I'm being too analytical. She thinks he says "cookie" (googie), "doggy" (goggy), "Mama", "Dada", "Grandma" (gama), and that he once said "I'm coming" in response to her. But, he doesn't say anything besides "Mamamamamamama" often. Mom thinks because I'm not hearing clearly enunciated words everyday, I'm not counting them as words he's saying, whereas other parents probably do count them.

It could be that he's just not interested yet. My younger brother didn't really speak until 18 months - Mom said we were so busy getting him what he wanted anyways that there was no reason to - and my friend's son didn't speak a lot until he was over 2 years old and now that he's 4 we can't get him to stop talking (they may have let him speak to the telemarketers at particularly trying times).

Am I overthinking this?

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simply
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simply     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Algae, my almost 21 month old wasn't really saying anything at 15 months, or even 18 months. I'd totally count sounds that sorta sound like words...

Now, my youngest is talking, and it's hilarious.

You MIGHT be overthinking it, but you might not be. Just watch him, don't ignore that gut--etc.

(I know, I just pop in to make random posts. lol)

--------------------
simply

Posts: 151 | From: Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Belated congratulations Don Enrico! Your wean will be about the same age as ours then!

I had my 16 week checkup yesterday and got to hear the littlun's heartbeat for the first time. It was almost more exciting than the scan, especially as I haven't got much of a bump at the moment and after all the initial excitement I was starting to feel "unpregnant" [Smile]

Actually, people do keep saying that they can see a bump, but I think that's more due to my eating almost anything that's not nailed down than it is to the presence of little Asbo...

The only odd event in the pregnancy so far is that I had a funny turn on the plane when we flew to Venice last month. I never usually get air-sick, and I had eaten before we took the flight, but once airborne I started to feel very light-headed and sick, and I struggled up the aisle to the loo, semi-consciously bashing other passengers on the head as I went! Passed as soon as I sat with my head between my knees and had a biscuit to eat though. The midwife didn't seem concerned, and all my blood and urine tests have been normal.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Algae... you may be over thinking it. You may not. Khaled will be 3 years old in February, and he STILL isn't talking. He has lots of syllables that he uses frequently and consistently (always in the same contexts), but nothing he babbles sounds like a language of this Earth. Just when he got to a point where I was worried about his lack of language, he would break out with all kinds of new/extra verbalness (yeah... I know... not a word) which made me think we were nearing a breakthrough. Then it would taper off, and just when I was about to worry... yeah... lather, rinse, repeat for at least a year and a half.

During that time, I had taught him the signs for "more" and "all done," and for the longest time, those were the ONLY signs he would use. He's picked up a lot more recently, although still not enough that I can have a conversation with him. But at least he can tell me more stuff: "more candy please" or "more ball," (I'm documenting his language) and he's starting to get more interactive than he'd been in the past.

Like Alex, I know that Khaled can understand what I tell him... like... there's this album that he listens to during naptime. One day he was angry about something and expressed that by slapping me hard in the face. I told him "stop, that hurts," many times, but that did no good. When I told him, "Stop now, or I'm going to turn off your music," he whimpered urgently as if to say, "No! No! I'm stopping, honest!" and gave me hugs and kisses. My advice is that if things haven't shown a dramatic change by the time he's 2, you might want to think about some kind of intervention. We're going to be getting Khaled into speech therapy, but there's a wait list. Then again, some kids are just late bloomers. Hard to say for sure what it is with Alex.

--------------------

Purple Iguana

WAH... Khaled just sprung up a cold from out of nowhere. 3:00 he was fine. 3:30 he was sniffling. 4:00 he's sniffling and coughing and miserable. And now he's been nickel-n-diming his way through a nap... waking up every 20-30 minutes or so to scream and cry and cough until he settles down again. Miraculously, both boys are sleeping right now, but I do not foresee that lasting for long. [Frown]

--------------------

Gordon Fan
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gordon Fan   E-mail Gordon Fan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a 14 1/2 year old and 2 1/2 year and still amazes me how fast sicknesses sneak up. My older one gets strep throat all the time and my younger one was always getting fevers for no reason.
Posts: 13 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

It's official, Katarina is potty trained. We've gone a week without having to change a diaper on her, unless she's waken up from a nap or in the morning, and most naps have been dry lately. She's great about pooping. She'll sit on the toilet and apply whatever lipstick she stole from my makeup box, and then carefully replace the lid before wiping. She ends up looking quite clownish, but her face is much easier to clean than her butt after a dirty diaper, so I don't mind.

This has, however, led to a bit of a "battle scar". Today at daycare she began digging and crying. When she wipes after peeing, she does this manuever where she reaches between her legs, rams the toilet paper against herself, and then jerks it forward. This has led to a raw spot in a VERY tender place. As in, not one you'd usually look at when you change her, even. M checked her out today and put some diaper ointment on it, and told me about it, and told me her daughter did the same thing when she first toilet trained. Today when we got home it was a fight for her to let me see it (which I'm actually kinda proud of), and she is RED.

I'm treating her with witch hazel, which she actually let me apply after the first time I used it and she realized it made things feel better. But I feel so bad for her. I'm going to have to really, really stress dabbing instead of rubbing to dry with her.

Anyway, anyone have ideas on how to treat something like this? It just looks painful, and I feel so sorry for her. I'm sure it's something she did just within the past day or two, but still... I don't want it to linger!

--------------------

Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Algea, don't overthink too much. Being Malia was a preemie, I haven't worried too much about milestones and I don't think you should either. They grow up too fast anway, enjoy them while they are still little and dependant on you. Let the worries come later, when you are sure they are warranted.

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Well, he's got a fever this morning, so we're going to the doctor in about an hour. This is the first cold Khaled has got that hubby hasn't brought home from work with him. The first cold that hit him hard from out of nowhere. I hope it's nothing major--I know... silly super-worried mommy syndrome... but he's my little guy and I worry.

--------------------

Dropbear

The Boy Wonder has concluded that Santa Claus is going to die.

He knows from our talk when the cat died last year that everything that is really alive dies at some point. He also knows that we can be happy we are alive and look after each other and live as long as we can.

So he pipes up every now and again with a test of this big idea - "Will Oma die?", "Do trees die?", "People in Star Wars don't die really cause that's just pretend."

So apparently he asks Mrs D the other day "will Santa die?" Mrs D responds "No, Santa doesn't die" - thinking this will be a comfort. Regrettably this directly conflicts with his "everything alive dies" principle.

So he approaches me and says "Mummy says Santa doesn't die but that's not right is it Dad?" "Ummmm" says I. "Everything that's real and alive dies at some time" I say, falling back to simple consistent principles (while wishing that I'd just said the cat had gone to stay with some-one else). "Does Santa die?" he persists - really wanting this thing clarified.

"Is Santa real?" I ask - hoping that maybe he's ready for the awful truth. "YES, he really, really is!" says the boy cofirming that he is not.

"Well then - you tell me - will Santa die?"

"Yes - Santa will die 'cause he really, really is real..."

I'm sure that there must have been a better way to handle that without a) confusing him about the whole death issue and b) still allowing him to believe in Santa while he wants to. But I'm blessed if I know how.

He'll probably be psychologically scarred for life. I wonder if he's told the other kids at kindergarten that his Dad confirmed that Santa is going to die?

Dropbear

Edited for spelling

--------------------

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm...I was always told, when I was little and firmly believed in Santa, that Santa and Mrs. Claus are exceptions to the rule- because of Special Magic, they can't die. I mean, if someone can deliver toys to all the children all over the world in one night, he's gotta be a pretty Special Person, right? [Wink]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Omigosh, Dropbear, your kid is a hoot!

I love "kiddy logic."

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dropbear:
The Boy Wonder has concluded that Santa Claus is going to die.

He knows from our talk when the cat died last year that everything that is really alive dies at some point. He also knows that we can be happy we are alive and look after each other and live as long as we can.

So he pipes up every now and again with a test of this big idea - "Will Oma die?", "Do trees die?", "People in Star Wars don't die really cause that's just pretend."

So apparently he asks Mrs D the other day "will Santa die?" Mrs D responds "No, Santa doesn't die" - thinking this will be a comfort. Regrettably this directly conflicts with his "everything alive dies" principle.

So he approaches me and says "Mummy says Santa doesn't die but that's not right is it Dad?" "Ummmm" says I. "Everything that's real and alive dies at some time" I say, falling back to simple consistent principles (while wishing that I'd just said the cat had gone to stay with some-one else). "Does Santa die?" he persists - really wanting this thing clarified.

"Is Santa real?" I ask - hoping that maybe he's ready for the awful truth. "YES, he really, really is!" says the boy cofirming that he is not.

"Well then - you tell me - will Santa die?"

"Yes - Santa will die 'cause he really, really is real..."

I'm sure that there must have been a better way to handle that without a) confusing him about the whole death issue and b) still allowing him to believe in Santa while he wants to. But I'm blessed if I know how.

He'll probably be psychologically scarred for life. I wonder if he's told the other kids at kindergarten that his Dad confirmed that Santa is going to die?

Dropbear

Edited for spelling

You can straighten all this one with one well-chosen episode of Married ... with Children.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Tell the Boy Wonder that Santa is a phoenix. He dies every year after Christmas and is reborn from his ashes on December 23. [Wink]

Or... if you think he's old enough to understand, tell him that Santa Claus was based on a real person (Saint Nicholas), and it is the IDEA of Santa that will never die, although the real person has died long ago.

Or... just say that Santa is magic, and, while magic people die, the magic keeps them alive for a REALLY REALLY long time. [Wink]

You're not scarring your boy. You're just trying to keep the magic alive for a little bit longer. Go easy on yourself. [Smile]

--------------------

mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
if anyone is interested, there's a new emag with a little more "urban sophisticate" view of parenting you might like.

www.babble.com

I've enjoyed some of their articles, can't relate AT ALL to some of them....I guess I'm somewhere between "city glam" and "country kitchen".

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
You're not scarring your boy. You're just trying to keep the magic alive for a little bit longer. Go easy on yourself. [Smile]

The problem is he's a clever little bunny and his logic and reasoning is excellent (if his toileting still leaves a lot to be desired). Once he gets an idea he has to follow it through and get to the facts.

Biggest recent example is Star Wars - we played the 2 Lego Star Wars games together and he didn't rest until he'd put all the pieces of the story together: "Anakin was a goodie wasn't he dad? But then he became baddie and turned into Darth Vader but the he fought the emperor and was a goodie again. Only the goodies come back as ghosts like Obi-wan and Yoda, the baddies don't come back as ghosts so you have to be a goodie and then you come back. But thats just pretend in Star Wars. Our cat died and she didn't come back. Do you like Lego Star Wars Dad?"

I think what gets to me most is the continual trying to keep a balance between allowing him to be a very young 5 with a belief in magic and also trying to be honest with him because I really believe in telling kids the truth.

I don't really think i'm going to scar him (I hope) its just the continual tension of how I'm going to answer the next question honestly but supportively that gets to me. Not helped by Mrs D having a slight tendency to panic and to go with magical answers which lead to further problems ie: "When you die you go to the moon." "No you don't who said that?" "Mummy. I asked Mummy where you went when you die and she said you go to heaven in the sky, the moon is in the sky so you go to the moon. I want to get a rocket to go to the moon and get our cat back"

Drop-who knew parenting lead to existential questioning-bear

--------------------

Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Dropbear, I hope you're writing this stuff down. It's priceless.

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages