snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Pregnancy, Adoption, & Parenting: Round 3 (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Pregnancy, Adoption, & Parenting: Round 3
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I forgot...Frank's two-month appointment was yesterday. He's now ten pounds, 13 ounces and 22.75 inches long. I forgot to ask what percentile that puts him in. I'm curious because there's a lot of tall people on both sides of the family, so we're betting he'll be tall. He got some shots, too. Boy, he didn't like THAT one bit! [Eek!] He turned BEET red and screamed his head off! I gave him Baby Tylenol when we got home, and he stopped in mid-wail at that point and smacked his lips and looked around like he was thinking, "Dude, that was good...where can I get me some more?" [lol] I've given it to him pretty regularly the past 24 hours, and so far, he's been fine. He's a little cranky right now, but I forgot to give it to him exactly four hours later, it's been almost five hours, so we just gave him some and we'll see how he does. But there's no rash on the injection sites or anything, and like I said, he's been fine, so I'm not worried.

And that diaper rash...it's a fungus. AND he has thrush! I was quite upset about that one, because I get thrush on a semi-regular basis because of my immune problems. The pediatrician said that babies get it often, though, and not to worry. But it still bothers me.

ETA: proper spelling, proper grammar...you name it, I edited it.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because I need to teel this story:

The Boy Wonder, just turned 5, decided to run away from his kinder class yesterday while on a mini excursion. This involved letting go of his class mates' hand and sprinting off down a side footpath.

He was recaptured fairly quickly but his teacher had a word in my ear about an appropriate consequence for him.

When we got home I therefore imposed a "no computer" consequence with a big talking to. He was advised that I will be coming on his next excursion (which is today). If he shows that he can walk properly and safely with his class he will be allowed to play on the computer this afternoon after school.

In the evening he was a bit chastened and subdued and didn't make a huge fuss about missing the comuter - although I knew it hurt (in a "I-might-not-have-played-it-but-I-resent-deeply being-specifically-denied-it" way). Mostly this involved longing looks and a wistful training of the hand across the keyboard.

This morning any chastening had worn off and he decided to try to try the 'slip-one-past-dad' routine by quickly asking to play the computer in the hope the old man's memory ain't what it should be. When I denied this request he flung himself to the floor crying in an anguished voice "You take all the good things in my life away! You've ruined my life!"

I have a five year old drama queen in the house.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm finally going to post in here again [Smile]

I had my 13 week OB appt today... DH and DS came with me and we got to hear the heartbeat- easily one of the coolest things ever!!!

The look at DS' face was just awesome- I wish I'd had a camera right then... listening to "our baby" - he is so excited to be a big brother!

My next appt is the end of December; I'll be getting my ultrasound to find out boy or girl?

Kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's time to start looking for the next car seat. Little_Aud is almost a year and she's about 22 lbs. I want to get a seat that we can use for a long time. I've been reading reviews but they all seem so similar. Are there any ones that particularly good or bad?

Thank you guys.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arrow-Tech IV
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arrow-Tech IV   E-mail Arrow-Tech IV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Embra --

After some thought about my last post, particularly since no one else has posted about your question, I'd like to add some thoughts. You seem really level-headed, so you might not go overboard on a wedding like I would. You might not try to plan too much yourself and put a lot of pressure on yourself after the baby's birth.

If so, do what you feel like you need to do. Go for it. Let someone else be in charge, plan to drink your first alcohol at the wedding and have a WONDERFUL time!

I just told you what I would do, and since there wasn't a chorus of other options, I felt like I needed to offer a more balanced viewpoint.

You do live in the UK, after all, so the great financial worry that comes in the US if your baby ends up needing special care isn't really a problem for you. And, if you're healthy, there's a very small chance that you'll need an emergency c-section. I'm about 4 ft. 11 in. with small hips and the baby just wasn't going to fit.

If your life isn't complete without the big wedding, then do it -- just don't inject worry into your life. It's a big enough deal to have to take care of a new baby.

Arrow

Posts: 955 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
Cute halloweenies!

OK, I have a practical question. I am due to have baby Embra at the beginning of June (I've just had my first scan - I can't begin to explain how bizarre it was suddenly to see the wean on screen, hiccupping). Anyway, as per a previous thread, I'm also getting married on the 4th of August.

Question: Am I kidding myself that I'll be able to enjoy the party?

Another question: How on earth am I going to be able to tell what size I'll be so I can buy a dress?!

I missed this news completely! Congratulations on both counts Embra - it looks like you are in for a busy summer [Smile] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No. You might not enjoy it in the same way as you would sans Little Embra, but you will enjoy it nonetheless. [Smile]
quote:
Another question: How on earth am I going to be able to tell what size I'll be so I can buy a dress?!
You can't tell. Go for something with an empire waist and plenty of room up top, or wait until after the baby is born to get a dress.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just went to a wedding, eight weeks postpartum, and I wore a long dress with an empire waist. I was actually told by several people, "Wow! You look great! I can't believe you had a baby only eight weeks ago!" [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arrow-Tech IV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arrow-Tech IV   E-mail Arrow-Tech IV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dropbear -- YOMANK! That is too funny!
Posts: 955 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrow-Tech IV:
Dropbear -- YOMANK! That is too funny!

Glad you liked it [Big Grin] - he's a funny kid.

Currently one of his favourite, non-computer games is to have myself and Mrs D sit holding artificial flowers while he does a short dance. At the end we have to throw the flowers and shout "Bravo" while he curtseys. (Please note - he came up with that all by himself - we didn't teach him.)

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Arrow said:
You seem really level-headed, so you might not go overboard on a wedding like I would.

hehe. I'm glad the "calm, rational" facade is holding up so well!

We are planning on minimal frills, but there should still be a ceilidh and plenty of friends. A friend has offered us the use of her garden for the reception, and has said that she will organise other friends to bring food.

I will take everyone's advice about the dress - I'm not planning on a designer creation or anything (although several people have suggested I do wear white anyway, just so that it's obvious who's the princess on the day!), and I think an empire line is a very sound idea [Smile]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
Cute halloweenies!

OK, I have a practical question. I am due to have baby Embra at the beginning of June (I've just had my first scan - I can't begin to explain how bizarre it was suddenly to see the wean on screen, hiccupping). Anyway, as per a previous thread, I'm also getting married on the 4th of August...

I missed this news completely! Congratulations on both counts Embra - it looks like you are in for a busy summer [Smile] .
I missed it, too! Congratulations, Embra!

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cute halloweenies!

OK, I have a practical question. I am due to have baby Embra at the beginning of June (I've just had my first scan - I can't begin to explain how bizarre it was suddenly to see the wean on screen, hiccupping). Anyway, as per a previous thread, I'm also getting married on the 4th of August.

Wow! Congratulations, Embra (brazen scarlet jezebel and shameless hussy that you are)! And congratulations to Mr Embra too.

I don't have any practical advice on the wedding (except to applaud your choice of a ceilidh), but can I suggest you stop drinking anything with caffeine in it right away? Otherwise baby Embra will be suffering withdrawal from the moment of birth, which is no fun for anyone.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hahaha. I didn't make a special announcement - I think probably because I'd just announced the wedding and I thought people would put two and two together and come up with a picture of my father brandishing a 12-bore at the registry office door... (which is of course entirely accurate).

In order to maintain my hussy-hood, however briefly, the wean comes before the wedding.

I've pretty much bought up all the fruit tea Sainsburys can supply, but should I really give up my morning cup of Tetley as well?

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
Frank's two-month appointment was yesterday. He's now ten pounds, 13 ounces and 22.75 inches long.

Wow. My son, Jason, was born weighing 11 pounds even, 22 1/2 inches long. (yes, natural, no drugs).

Embra, congrats! I had my third baby at the end of June and was forced into going to an outdoor family reunion in mid-August in North Carolina. I was bloody miserable. It was near 100 degrees and humid and I had no place I could breastfeed in private except for my MIL's car.

I like what Zorro said about the empire waist dress. Sounds like a good plan. [Smile]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Embra... sorry, I've had family visiting, so I haven't been as diligent at reading the posts before writing my own. It's horribly bad of me and I apologize. But I agree about the empire waist, or you could possibly have some kind of stretchy material? Unless you have at your disposal a seamstress who can readily alter your dress the day before the ceremony, it's pretty much hopeless to have a fitted dress, so best to choose something that's got some give to it.

------------------------------------

In other news...

Okay, it's happened more than once now. Khaled has climbed into hubby's lap and pinched his cheek HARD. Pinching used to be one of the things he did when he was upset about something, but I thought we were past that. What's funny is that the first time he did this, hubby asked him "Why did you pinch my cheek? That hurts." 2 or 3 times, and each time, Khaled responded with something that sounded like "I didn't" and then finally gave hubby a big hug. The next two times he pinched hubby's cheeks, hubby again asked "Why did you pinch my cheek? That hurts." and Khaled pointed to the cheek he had pinched and then leaned in to kiss the boo boo. While it's not so adorable that he's causing the hurt to begin with, it's adorable that he was trying to kiss it better. I can't think of any other reason why... he gives me LOTS of kisses, but doesn't even hardly give hubby hugs.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've pretty much bought up all the fruit tea Sainsburys can supply, but should I really give up my morning cup of Tetley as well?

My doctor told me "all things in moderation" at least when it came to tea and coffee anyway! She also felt that an occasional glass of wine was no big deal either. I loved her [Cool] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Well, the doctors told Mrs Fizz to cut it out entirely and go over to decaf tea, and we have been congratulated on being so very "lucky" in not having screaming babies, as have friends who have done the same.

ETA: Forgive my curiosity, Embra, but will you be following the Gina Ford books with Baby Embra?

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
quote:

Well, the doctors told Mrs Fizz to cut it out entirely and go over to decaf tea, and we have been congratulated on being so very "lucky" in not having screaming babies, as have friends who have done the same.

ETA: Forgive my curiosity, Embra, but will you be following the Gina Ford books with Baby Embra?

Meh, I never gave up caffeine, and my daughter was never a screamer. In fact, she was a pretty calm, placid baby. Very bright (still is), but not interested in screaming.

I guess it depends on the advice of your obstetrician/midwife.

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arrow-Tech IV

I cut out caffeine entirely during my pregnancy -- primarily because I know that I have such a strong reaction to it that I felt like it wasn't good for the kiddo. I just can't handle caffeine very well. My heart races, I become slightly manic and it completely throws off my sleep schedule.
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cut out most of my caffeine during my pregnancy (I still ate chocolate) and tried to completely cut it out during the first six months of nursing (when I gave up chocolate), when I slowly added it back in. Alex was a pretty contented baby.

Anyways, I was told moderation, but I figured that I should cut back, so I did. However, I need to cut back again...

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chienar
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chienar   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aud -

About carseats, folks on both of the mommy boards I go to rave about Britax, and there is a 5 point harnessed one that goes all the way up to 80 pounds. It's the Regent - kind of pricey, but top of the line.

Myself, I have a Graco Comfort Sport , that we just switched my not so little three month old into (she exceeded the length for the Snugride we had at 27 inches!) - it was her older brother's and he's now in a booster. The price is what's kept me from getting Regent's for both of them.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 47 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only carseat I've been delighted by are the built-in ones in my van, but that may just be becaues of the space I save and the fact that I don't bonk my kids on the head getting them in them.

To change the subject a bit, I had an awww moment today. Katarina ran up to me and hugged me, and then said, "You my mom-mom. You my best friends."

I asked her who her other friends were, and she said, "My Lexie and my Boom-Boom. But you my best friends." [Big Grin]

I *almost* teared up at that one.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aud, we got the Britax Marathon, which goes up to 65 pounds. It's rated very well on all the parent boards and Consumer Reports. It comes in many patterns, and they sell covers separately, too. It's pricey, but we're hoping we might need it for a second child, and if we have a boy we can replace the flowery cover for about $30.

So far, we like the Marathon. It will be nicer when she's old enough to face forward, because it's a challenge to get her into the full-sized seat when it's rear-facing.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gnat
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnat   E-mail Gnat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey - I have a pregnancy question that I'd like to pose to those more experienced than I...I'm now 18 weeks pregnant and in the last couple days have noticed an odd brownish discolouration on my neck, like in the middle of my throat. My SO is very concerned about this (as he is with anything concerning me at the moment...hard to convince him that I'm not going to break at any second!) but I'm not sure whether it's anything to be worried about or not. I've heard of the "mask of pregnancy" thing, but only one of the sources I've checked has said anything about it happening on neck; most just mention the face. I should mention that it is not itchy and does not hurt; it's just there...but any type of skin issue like that is unusual for me. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!
Posts: 35 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Algae... are you hinting something?? [Wink]

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simply
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simply     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
It's time to start looking for the next car seat. Little_Aud is almost a year and she's about 22 lbs. I want to get a seat that we can use for a long time. I've been reading reviews but they all seem so similar. Are there any ones that particularly good or bad?

Thank you guys.

If you want lots of good suggestions try at car-seat.org.

They basically say no to all the 3 in 1 seats that claim to go from rear-facing to booster--ssaying that most kids outgrow the harness before they are mature enough for a booster and that most of them don't make good boosters anyway.

One seat that is recommened a lot is the Cosco Scenera which is about 40 dollars, rear-faces to 35 lbs, forward faces to 40 lbs. Then they recommened various Britax convertibles (200 and up) and the Fisher-Price (100 and up) versions of those seats.

My 20 month old is in the scenera. It's a really inexpensive GOOD seat. One that when he does outgrow it in 1 to 2 years, I'll not feel so bad having to buy another seat to get him to booster age.

You don't want the Regent, because it is a forward facing ONLY seat. IT might be good when your baby is too big for rear-facing, but 20 lbs is only the minimum to turm them around, It's now recommended that you keep 'em backward till the limit of the seat, which is generally 30-35 lbs depending on the seat (Graco is generally 30 lbs, Britax is 33 lbs and Cosco is 35 lbs).
(And no, the kiddo won't have squished legs in an accident. lol)

The techs at the carseat boards I frequent [YES, there are carseat boards. lol] do often recommend the Marathon...they say that the ability to tether it rear-facing, ease of installation and straps that don't twist are absolutely wonderful and the different covers thing...a bonus. They don't put much stock into the consumer reports ratings though, and there are explainations as to why, I just don't remember them. lol

--------------------
simply

Posts: 151 | From: Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Algae:
Anyways, I was told moderation, but I figured that I should cut back, so I did. However, I need to cut back again...

Algae, are you trying to tell us something?

ETA: Spanked by Crackrzz!

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

My SIL had her second baby last week, another girl. I am told (I haven't gone to see them yet) that my three-year-old niece is calling her new sister "Baby Frank". [lol] Wait'll she sees both babies togetehr- that'll flip her lid! [lol]

--------------------

I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
simply, oh yeah, I forgot about the twisty strap issue. The Marathon seems very sturdy and the anti-twisty thing about the straps is a nice feature, we used to have to take the infant seat out and untwist the straps all the time! How long can a baby be before you switch to front-facing? Rowan's light for her size, I think it will be her height that makes us switch rather than her weight.

Also, we're worried about the baby. She has really started to enjoy Cheerios and is eating solids better. But her new, more solid poo is causing trouble. She has a moderately bad diaper rash and we think that it was a piece of Cheerio that caused a cut in the irritated area. Then it sat in pee all night and it's pretty irritated. It bleeds noticeably at every diaper changing and it's making her miserable. It doesn't help that she seems to be teething again at the same time, so she hurts top and bottom. (Looks like she's getting top incisors next to go with the bottom middle two, won't she look funny?)

We gave an extra bath this morning and will let her at least soak in water tonight. We're using Beaudreaux's Butt Paste copiously and changing diapers more frequently. We are giving Tylenol and just put some pain relief ointment on the wound. Should we go to the doctor? Is there something else we can do to help her?

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
kismet, Mia had an anal fissure when she was about two or three months old. Scared. Me. To. Death. There was so much blood I had to collect samples and take them to the lab to be sent off and analyzed. It took some REALLY expensive diaper cream to clear it up, but that was partly because it was kinda internal and we didn't even see it at first. Basically, keep the area as clean as possible. Instead of buying wipes, make your own: buy the really, really soft paper towels (or use washclothes) and wet them with warm water and a teeny, tiny amount of either baby shampoo or Ivory soap. Then apply diaper ointment liberally. It'll take a week or so, but it will clear up, and I think it bothers us more than it does the babies!

--------------------

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kismet
The only thing else I might suggest is some diaper-less time so that her bottom dries out.

Thanks for the suggestion about seats guys.

Auntie We have one friend who was going to give us a bench from his old van that has built in baby seats. How little a kid do those hold?

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

They have to be forward facing. You can't adjust the height on the shoulder strap (most car seats have about three holes you can put them through), but my kids tended to be tall. I guess you could put a cushion under her butt if the shoulder straps are rubbing her ears. Mine has a strap you pull to retract or loosen the straps, so it is adjustable that way.

--------------------

Algae

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crackrzz:
Algae... are you hinting something?? [Wink]

Oh, heavens no! I just meant I need to cut back on caffiene so I lose some weight. I am so not ready for another one!

Car seats: Hey, what do I go to once Alex hits 40 pounds? We have the Evenflo Titan, and I'm pretty sure it stops there (but I still need to double check that).

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Algae... Eddie Bauer makes a car seat that's rated up to 100 pounds. (Well, I'm not sure that they make it, but their name is on it.) My dad just sent me one now that Saleh's big enough to get out of his infant seat. Not sure what it costs.

Gnat... I don't know exactly what your discoloration would be, but lots of women get that linea negra (dark line) on their abdomens. Some get it really super wide, like a couple inches wide. I never got it at all. If your discolored area doesn't itch or burn or do anything to worry you other than being darker than normal, my instincts tell me that it's probably nothing to worry about. After all, you'll probably start getting skin tags all over the place--many of which itch like hell and you don't think about it until you've picked it off and then it bleeds... um... okay, I'm a little obsessive about picking things off, but those tags are sneaky little things! If you're really concerned, you can put in a call to your OB. I'm sure they'll be able to tell you all about it.

Okay, the disc is full, but hubby was the one to switch the discs in the camera, so I have no idea where my Halloween baby pictures are! Darnit! I'm going to have to holler at him in a minute here.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages