snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Pregnancy, Adoption, & Parenting: Round 3 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Pregnancy, Adoption, & Parenting: Round 3
gudrin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gudrin   E-mail gudrin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
PI: Yes, everything turned out just fine. I just have a bruised hand from the IV and some bruised ribs from the less than pleasant aspects of the illness. I'm going to be at 24 weeks on Monday. I'm sure I had gained more than 3 pounds before this last weigh in, because I was dehydrated this time. I'm hoping I'll have more put on again before Tuesday. It's weird though, because I'm anything but small. At least that's what I think. Everything is popping out in front. I think I'm kind of like you in that my weight is migrating. Either that, or I'm just too active to gain weight right now.

I just finished up fixing a maternity shirt. I'm hoping it stays fixed this time. This is one of the ones that my mother insisted on buying for me from an outlet store when we were visiting the Amana Colonies in Iowa. I wore it two or three times, washed it, and it came out with the ties all frayed out, and one was actually off! I was ticked! I had tied them before washing, so they wouldn't get wrapped, and that didn't even help it. So, I got some ribbon that matched what was previously on there, opened the seam, put the new ribbon in, sewed it back up and then put clear nail polish on all the ends so it shouldn't fray(sp?) anymore. I had to fix it now, because I really want to wear it to a surprise 50th birthday party this weekend.

--------------------
Hey look! A shiny new post!

Posts: 125 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Zorro, it's the right age for a real smile, probably was one. And I think you're due some positive input from the little guy [Smile]

We have worked our way up to eating some solids. Average day is about 3-5 bites of yogurt or cereal with fruit for breakfast, 3-5 bites of yogurt or veggies for lunch, 5-7 bites of veggies and cereal for dinner and a couple of cheerios (If we give her 40, she usually manages to eat 2-4 and the dogs eat the rest). So maybe she's getting 1 tablespoon total each day of solids, but it's a huge improvement from 1 teaspoon a week!

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the best wishes, all! Little Blue was born yesterday night after 19 hours of labor, some of which occured walking around a mall to make sure that it was real this time. He's beautiful, in my completely unbiased opinion, though I will admit he looked a little like a smurf in the very beginning. [Wink]

The only hiccup is his blood sugar, which is low. I have to give him glucose water after every feeding. Has anyone else had a baby with this? I read it can cause brain damage, so it's a little scary.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay Little Pink Pill. Congrats. Another snopling for herd.
The aunties want baby pictures.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Little Blue Pill was born yesterday night, and you're already posting to tell us about it? Goodness gracious Little Pink Pill, we're not worthy of such fast updates! Be sure to take it easy! [Smile] Congrats on your new little one!

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh well yes. Take it easy and take pictures. [Smile]
Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats LPP!

Anyone else having really weird dreams?
Night before last I dreamt that I had the baby and it was Milhouse.

Last night was really odd though. I had just had the baby and my husband handed her to me and I began breastfeeding. I looked up then looked down again and she was cat then I looked up/down again and it was gone. I asked the husband if he'd just handed me the baby or the cat and he looked at me like I was nuts and told me there was no baby and no cat so I started telling him that it had to be post partum depression.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hooray LPP!

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats LPP! Now all we need are pictures! I gotta have my snopeling fix!

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations LPP!

Wow, I'm impressed, Little Blue was born last night, and you're already posting updates here? Amazing!

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Giselle... freaky pregnant dreams are TOTALLY NORMAL. They can be really weird and, for some reason, often involve small animals. (Given your avatar, I think you watch the Simpsons too much and that explains Milhouse. [Big Grin] )

Here are a few of the weird dreams that I remember having when pregnant with Khaled... can't remember weird dreams with Saleh, which is not to say it didn't happen:

--I was keeping two puppies (a boy and a girl) in a birdcage in the basement of the house I lived in before getting married, and they were forever escaping from the cage... one would hide in the laundry and the other would try to attack me.

--I was a teenage girl trying to do everything in her power to keep her 20-something brother from going off to war.

--I was at some community festival thing with my cousin and my niece. Folks had all kinds of stands and tents set up. We came across a baby squirrel that was hurt and starving and for some reason, we had to take it to this stand where there was this GIANT goldfish on a platter (still alive but looking miserable) surrounded by little plates of this fish's fins. We had to feed the fins to the squirrel to help it get better.

I even had weird pre-pregnancy dreams, but I'm not going to get into that right now. Rest assured that your funky dreams are perfectly normal and just try to laugh them off.

LPP!!! Get some rest, girl. We can wait for pictures. I can't believe you're posting the next day. Although, to be fair, I could have posted the SAME day after having Saleh, because that whole experience was pretty easy... except for being in labor all night and not getting any sleep and being totally exhausted. [Wink]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
PI lied. We cannot wait for pictures! [Razz]

Congrats, LPP!

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! Congratulations, LPP. Give Little Blue hugs and kisses from his snopes' aunties.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, LPP!!!

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Better late than never, here is my Halloween demon.
 -

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Giselle:

Hormones will give you wierd dreams. I am not, nor have I ever been, pregnant, but I am taking progesterone for theraputic purposes and my dreams have definitely gotten stranger since I've been on it. In a recent one of particular note I was trying to fix a bunch of malfunctioning fluorescent light tubes that could only be made to work if they sagged in the middle. With the help of a fellow snopester who is not an electrician.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats, LPP!!

We've gotten a couple more tiny smiles in the last couple of days, so I have entered it in his baby book that he smiled for the first time Wednesday. [Smile]

WE're going to a wedding tonight. My MIL is coming to babysit. I'm pretty excited. I never thought I'd be this excited about wearing makeup and pantyhose!!

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 99 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats, LPP! I can't wait to see pictures of the caplet.

I am sooo proud of my son! I called him on Thursday night, and he told me he's wearing big boy pants now! No more diapers. (*does happy dance*) His dad said that he'll go all day at daycare without an accident, then he might have one at home, but they're only using pullups at nighttime. I'm so happy. [Smile]

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks so much, everyone! I'm a very happy mom.
quote:
Originally posted by Syllavus:
Little Blue Pill was born yesterday night, and you're already posting to tell us about it?

Well, there is the whole time change thing, and in Hungary the insurance companies aren't trying to kick you out, so they like you to stay a couple days in the hospital and rest. There's not much to do, though, so DH brought me my laptop.

The real question is whether I'll ever have time to post again after I go home tomorrow. [Wink]

The saddest thing happened, though. A girl who had a late miscarriage came in for a D&C, and they roomed her afterward right in the middle of the maternity ward. We have private rooms, but I know she could hear all the newborn babies crying all around her.

I listened to her singing hymns to herself through the wall, and tried very hard to keep Little Blue as quiet as possible. What were they thinking, besides making rounds convenient for the Dr's? Do they do that in the States? I could cry right now thinking about how awful she must have felt.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, LPP, that's awful! Poor girl, I can't imagine how much harder that must make things. [Frown]

Stupid doctors! [flame]

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP- They did that to my mother years ago. She had to share a room with a woman who had just given birth. Once the nurse rolled the other woman's baby in and chirped to my mom, "time to nurse your baby!!"

It's my understanding that that type of thing is rare in the States now. The hospitals near me are all one to a room and so quiet you'd never know if a baby was next door anyway.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, how was your experience overall LPP!! Count me in as amazed by your quick post time.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, congratulations!

FYI, at least at the hospital I used, maternity rooms were only for mothers with babies. D&C or other procedures would stay in another ward, although most D&Cs are outpatient here, anyway.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP wow! I was just wondering when we'd hear if you'd had the baby and you already had! Great news and congratulations!!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, congratulations! I hope Little Blue Pill is doing well, and that you are recovering nicely.

That is sad about the girl with the miscarriage. I can empathize, though happily my situation turned out better than hers. My younger son was born very ill and had to be transported about 200 miles away for surgery. I couldn't accompany him, so I was in the maternity ward with no baby and worried sick. I spent most of my time there crying, watching other moms with their healthy babies. I think it would have been kinder if they could have moved me to another section of the hospital.

My baby is 16 now and very healthy, but it was very hard in the beginning.

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Wanderwoman and Starla, both those stories are dreadful. I just can't imagine being in either situation, though I'm glad it doesn't seem to be the standard anymore (at least for miscarriages).
quote:
Originally posted by mouse goddess:
So, how was your experience overall LPP!!

It was great, actually. I went to a private clinic and hospital, both of which are really nice and geared towards foreigners, so I got excellent care and a lot of individual attention.

There was, of course, the occasional cultural moment, mostly with the pediatric nurses, like being told I wasn't allowed to clip my baby's fingernails for 10 days, being given special tea to make my milk come in, and having the nutrition nazi inform me I WOULD be ordering a cheese omlet for breakfast, thank you very much. But for the most part, it was all pretty familiar. [Smile]

It's not a great pic, but here he is:

Little Blue

--------------------

wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, what a lovely baby! Now I wish I had a newborn to cuddle (somebody else's newborn, of course [Wink] I'm too old to go through that again).

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heartfelt congrats, Lil' Pink!

Lil' Baby Blue is very adorable.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, congratulations and well done! I am glad the hospital is keeping you in for some rest. Lap it up, flower! And Baby Blue is so precious in his little cot. No wonder you are so proud!

Please don't worry too much for the girl next door who was recovering from a miscarriage. Mine took a long time to complete and I spent lots of time on maternity wards. It wasn't actually that bad, because I was missing my baby, and wasn't really moved by anyone else's, if that makes sense. I guess it affects everyone differently. I found it much harder to hear women crying in labour, than babies crying.

Recently my cousin had a baby very early at 27 weeks and the same hospital made an effort to keep her in a room away from new mums while her baby was in intensive care. I think hospitals do what they can, but sometimes they need to put all the people with gestational issues in the same area.

(PS My cousin's baby is now over 4lbs and almost quadrupled in size, and doing well despite catching a little cold and needing to go back on oxygen & feeding tubes. I was invited in to meet her last night - the first person other than grandparents - I was so honoured, and she's a beautiful little kitten who has fought so hard. My cousin is so calm and confident with her, it's truly inspiring. I am almost getting clucky... well, almost!)

ETA - Just read that back and want to apologise for being such a downer about my own crap. Let me wave the flag again for LPP and Little Blue! He really is scrumptious!

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, I just made a sound that only my dogs could hear over Little Blue. They both looked at me rather quizzically.

Little Blue is just a cutie pie! Congratulations again, and I'm glad you're both home.

Speedy recovery to you, and sleep through the night vibes for Little Blue!

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats, LPP! Little Blue is too adorable!

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Thank you, everyone! You guys are all so cool. [Smile]

Neffti, that's great news about your cousin's baby. No wonder you're happy and proud. I don't think that's a downer at all!

--------------------

PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP he's adorable! Look at that baby face! Oh, my goodness! okay, wow. Sorry. I got all goofy there for a minute.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, he's so cute! what a cutie pie!

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I made a small high pitched coo. Awww!

Oh I just want to pick him up and snuggle him.

Makes me want to see my best friend and her kids, and tiny son that she gladly lets people hold, and feed, and change! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages