snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Pictures from Germany

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pictures from Germany
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After being back in the US for three weeks, I've finally gotten all my pictures from Germany online. If anyone is interested in seeing them they're here.

Of course after three weeks I've forgotten most of the comments I was going to make, but anyway...

My first impression of Berlin was that it's rather dirty, covered with graffiti, and the architecture in the old East section is rather ugly. Even so, it was probably my favorite city that we visited, because it played such a significant role in world history with the Prussian Empire, Hitler's rise to power and WWII, then the Cold War and reunification.

Salzburg is all about Mozart, and a thus has lots of Mozart related tourist traps. It was still fun to just wander around the old narrow streets.

If you're ever in Munich, I highly recommend the Hotel Jedermann. It's nothing fancy, but it's clean, affordable, offers free internet access in the lobby, a very good breakfast, and the very friendly and helpful staff just put them over the top. They even gave us two free mini bottles of champagne when we checked out.

The Rhineland was my other favorite spot. I wish I had more time to explore the castles, but we had to get to Frankfurt for our flight home the next day.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised there are no pictures in the Munich section of the "Frauenkirche" (Church of our dear wife (or woman). After all, that one's for Munich what the Statue of Liberty is for NY.

I wonder if you had chance to visit Koepenick (Berlin), it has a nice little old style center (rather unlike the rest of East Berlin Concrete City.)

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know what's weird about Germany?

Everyone speaks German. It's like you've stumbled into a bad comedy about people wearing Lederhosen.

But I digress. You've got some great pictures there. Wasn't it weird to walk around in Dachau?

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Your pics suck. There are NO obligatory pictures of you in front of the (insert tourist trap here) to prove that you went ANYWHERE!! My God man, but you could have bought those pics ANYWHERE!! [lol]

Not really.

I am officially jealous. You tour like I do - look for crap that interests YOU, rather than the same ol', same ol'. Bravo! Next time you go, will you have room for me in your suitcase?

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't Dachau just the most chilling place you have ever visited? When I went there, it was dark, dreary and overcast. A very appropriate day for a visit, and the ghosts seemed to be out in full force. I will never forget that place.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seltaeb
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seltaeb     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very cool! We were there in 2002 and saw a lot of the same things. Berlin was by far my favorite city, although we didn't get to Hamburg.

Dachau is very chilling. It's spooky to think what went on there 60 years ago.

Thanks for sharing. Did you make it to Nuremberg?

Posts: 109 | From: Lenexa, Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob D / Blackwolf, the wet dodo:
I'm surprised there are no pictures in the Munich section of the "Frauenkirche" (Church of our dear wife (or woman). After all, that one's for Munich what the Statue of Liberty is for NY.

Actually, my camera batteries died at about that point, and since it was around 5:00 on a Saturday it was hard to find anyplace to buy new ones. I eventually did find some overpriced batteries at a touristy shop that was still open.

quote:
Originally posted by Griffin 2020:
Wasn't Dachau just the most chilling place you have ever visited? When I went there, it was dark, dreary and overcast. A very appropriate day for a visit, and the ghosts seemed to be out in full force. I will never forget that place.

When I went it was bright and sunny and unseasonably warm for Germany in October. That did absolutely nothing to take away from the chilling effect of that place.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Vanilla Gorilla
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Vanilla Gorilla   E-mail The Vanilla Gorilla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember visiting Dachau back in the summer of 1988(I was just out of High School). And even though it was a sunny and beautiful day you had that feeling of a cold chill going up your spine. Especially after seeing the crematorium. But one thing that still sticks in my head is this little old german lady wearing black who was handing out anti-abortion literature to people leaving Dachau which bascially compared abortion to the Holocaust.

Back in 2001 while visiting Germany when my brother was stationed there we(my family) visited Dachau again. Not much had changed save that it was later in the day and in November so it was getting dark when we visited it and it was still creepy. But this time there wasn't anyone handing out anti-abortion literature.

But we(my family) had a great time visiting Germany in 2001. We even stayed in 3 different castles where the price was very reasonable(and the food was wonderful there too). We should have put on weight but we actually took it off from all the walking. [Smile]

Posts: 46 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be going to Europe in '08, and Germany is a stop for me. I was actually looking at taking a stop in Poland to visit Aushcwitz. I read on their website that they don't allow photography -I assume that Dachau does? What an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

quote:
Originally posted by erinker74:
I read on their website that they don't allow photography -I assume that Dachau does?

Yes (or at least no one stopped me). I didn't take any pictures inside the museum, but other people did, so I think that would have been ok, too. I really wish I had taken pictures of the campaign posters for both Hitler and some of his opponents that were on display.

--------------------

erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
quote:
I read on their website that they don't allow photography -I assume that Dachau does?

Yes (or at least no one stopped me). I didn't take any pictures inside the museum, but other people did, so I think that would have been ok, too. I really wish I had taken pictures of the campaign posters for both Hitler and some of his opponents that were on display.
Wow! I was just blown away by all those pictures. The Rhineland wasn't on my itinerary but now I think it has to get added - it just seems breathtaking!

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dachau was very chilling while we were there, but was even more so when I got home and watched a documentary on the Holocaust. They put a photograph onscreen of a pile of bodies where I had been standing not three weeks prior. I nearly threw up.

Although we were allowed to take pictures, I didn't feel right taking very many. I think I got pretty much the same pictures you did, WildaBeast. I thought the group of people posing for pictures inside the gas chambers was a bit tasteless.

I think you were also standing on the exact same spot I was for your picture of the keep at Neuschwanstein [Smile] Thanks for posting your pics, they are just gorgeous and brought back great memories for me!

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThornyWreath
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThornyWreath   E-mail ThornyWreath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wow! I was just blown away by all those pictures. The Rhineland wasn't on my itinerary but now I think it has to get added - it just seems breathtaking!

Someone say Rhineland? I used to live in Rhineland-Pfalz-- no, really! The vineyards and castles along the Rhein River are breathtaking.

Thanks for the memories, Wilda!

Thorny "channeling Bob Hope" Rose

--------------------
A little glitter can turn your whole day around.--Junie B. Jones

Engine 3:16

Posts: 1456 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you get to see the Heidelberg castle on the Rhine? It was one of my favorite stops. We had the chance to see how the color of the stone walls changed with the sunset.

Munich was a lot of fun--where else can a 14 year old kid drink beer?! [Smile]

Pay close attention to the rafters in the photo of the crematory at Dachau--we were told the lighter niches were from the ropes where the prisoners were hung before they were cremated. By far it was the most horrible place. Don't recall seeing the "shower" area though--maybe the guides thought it'd be too graphic for a bunch of teens.

I'm officially jealous Wildabeast- you hit every one of my favorite spots. Germany has that atmosphere where you almost feel like you're home. I look forward to returning someday.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThornyWreath
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThornyWreath   E-mail ThornyWreath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Mrs Hi-C--Heidelberg is on the Neckar River, but I agree it's fabulous.

--------------------
A little glitter can turn your whole day around.--Junie B. Jones

Engine 3:16

Posts: 1456 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Forgive what may be a stupid question, but the grounds of Dachau seem very well-groomed and the scenery around the crematorium (trees, etc.) seems ironically very beautiful. Was it like this while it held prisoners or was "beautification" (for lack of a better word) done after the site had been designated as a museum? I know that the death camps were often built in the middle of beautiful forestry, but I was surprised to see that the landscape was that beautiful actually on the camp site.

--------------------

Seltaeb
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seltaeb     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Forgive what may be a stupid question, but the grounds of Dachau seem very well-groomed and the scenery around the crematorium (trees, etc.) seems ironically very beautiful. Was it like this while it held prisoners or was "beautification" (for lack of a better word) done after the site had been designated as a museum? I know that the death camps were often built in the middle of beautiful forestry, but I was surprised to see that the landscape was that beautiful actually on the camp site.
When I was there four years ago, our tour guide told us that Dachau, as well as other camps that are still standing, are maintained by Germany's Jewish community as a living memorial to their ancestors. Of course, tourism pays for the upkeep, but the Jewish people maintain them. Has anybody else heard of this?
Posts: 109 | From: Lenexa, Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
D'oh! I totally forgot about the Neckar! All I remember was that the castle was one of the last stops on our trip, along with a tour of the Rhine. 30 lashes with the dead fish for me!

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow...Berlin got built up! I was there in '97...the no-man's land was still empty, and they had just passed the first big anti-graffiti laws. Guess they weren't that effective. Nice to see those spots again...you take great pics, Wilda. Did you get to hang out on the Ku-dam a lot? There were lots of interesting things there.

Munich was nice too, but Berlin was much more interesting to me, as well. It's probably because when my parents visited in the 70's, it was under much different circumstances!

I just have to ask...how did you feel driving down the Autobahn? Did you go nuts or play it safe?

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

quote:
Although we were allowed to take pictures, I didn't feel right taking very many.
I know. I felt really wierd taking a picture of the cremation ovens, but someone else took a picture first, so that sort of broke the ice, so to speak.

quote:
I think I got pretty much the same pictures you did, WildaBeast.
Ha, that was sort of a running joke throughout the trip. When we noticed most tourists took pictures of the same things, we kept saying "I wonder how many thousands of other people have *this* picture?" Even my dad, my sister, and I pretty much took the exact same pictures.

quote:
Did you get to see the Heidelberg castle on the Rhine?
Nope. Didn't have time to go to Heidelberg. If I could do it over again I'd plan more time to spend on the Rhine.

quote:
I just have to ask...how did you feel driving down the Autobahn? Did you go nuts or play it safe?
Well, I didn't get to do any driving. The car rental agency charged an exorbitant fee for each additional driver. I said "How would they know if I drove a little bit?" but my dad still insisted on doing all the driving, just in case. We drove at a speed to keep up with the majority of the traffic, but there were still plenty of people in the left lane going faster than us. I didn't feel like we were going all that fast, but I just did the conversion; the fastest I remember going was 140 kph = ~87 mph, quite a bit faster than I'd drive on any American highway.

--------------------

Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I visited Aushwitz about 5 years ago. I didn't feel right taking photos inside, until I saw the rooms with all the personal affects.

When I got to the room with all the suitcases, I could read the names on the side of a few of them. I cried like a baby.

I had to take a photo of that because that was the most powerful image (to me) and wanted to show it to my children so they could try to have some concept of what went on.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting pics Wilda', but I gotta know - why the laundry room and the gearstick? You have those in California right? [Wink]

quote:
My first impression of Berlin was that it's rather dirty, covered with graffiti, and the architecture in the old East section is rather ugly
Shoulda seen the place 20 years ago [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Great pictures!

It's nice to see that you had a good time, especially in Hamburg (of course)! The old steam ship in your last Hamburg picture is, by the way, an icebreaker. It still has it's "ice class", meaning it could still be used to break passages through sea ice.

Your Rhineland pictures are beautiful, too. I strongly recommend the area to everybody visiting Germany!

It's good to see that you visited Dachau, too. Some tourists seem to rather pass by the darker part of German history (or, for that matter, of history in general). In my opinion, one shouldn't do that, even if a Concentration Camp doesn't make a good place for a day out with a picknick...

To answer a question asked earlier: From what I know, all former Concentration Camps (memorials, museum and so on) are maintained by the state. It may be that organisations of former inmates (for lack of a better word) have a say in the presentation and design, and groups and individuals (not only jewish, but - for example - international youth groups) do contribute money and (manual) labour, but it is paid for with taxpayers money - and rightly so!

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
quote:
My first impression of Berlin was that it's rather dirty, covered with graffiti, and the architecture in the old East section is rather ugly

Shoulda seen the place 20 years ago [lol]
Ditto this. It was much worse when it was rather dirty, covered with graffiti, full of ugly architecture, and patrolled by short-tempered Stasi with machine guns.

Vier Kätzchen

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
... patrolled by short-tempered Stasi with machine guns.

That would have been Grenztruppen (border police) or VoPo (Volkspolizei - ordinary police). The Stasi usually didn't carry machine guns (at least not openly), being a secret police force and all...

Don "nitpicking" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I really wish I had taken pictures of the campaign posters for both Hitler and some of his opponents that were on display.

You may be able to find some of those in this Google image search.

Don Enrico

--------------------

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Great pictures! They brought back a lot of good memories of our trip last year. Yes, Dachau was equally haunting for me, too. It was a bright and beautiful day, and that, coupled with the prettiness of the landscape, made it that much more chilling. The ghosts of those who suffered there can still be felt, too. [Frown]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
Interesting pics Wilda', but I gotta know - why the laundry room and the gearstick? You have those in California right? [Wink]

Mostly just me being silly and throwing in a few pictures of ordinary things. We stopped to do laundry in Munich, I was bored, I took a picture. Oddly enough all the customers at the laundromat spoke English. As for the gearstick, I was trying to get a picture that represented "driving on the autobahn," but I think the speedometer does a better job of that.

--------------------

WildaBeast

quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:
It's nice to see that you had a good time, especially in Hamburg (of course)!

One thing I would have liked to see in Hamburg was the Airbus factory, but they didn't have any English tours available when we were there.

Oh well, I'll just have to go up to Seattle and see the Museum on Flight one of these days.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages