snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Feeling faint

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling faint
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^This is really an appropriate smiley!

For the past few days I've been feeling very, very lightheaded. At times I have begun to black out but I have managed to avoid it by putting my between my knees, elevating my feet, etc. This has never happened to me before. Google searches seem to suggest that feeling faint is common and not necessarily a sign of a serious problem, although it could be. I just wish I knew what was causing it.

I have determined to go to the doctor on Monday if the spells do not pass, but in the meantime, is feeling faint really all that common? One site I read said that 25% of people will faint at some point in their lives.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the "at some point in their lives" is a major clue.

Frequent occurances lead me to yell "Doctor!" Think hard on any recent changes to anything: diet, meds, etc. and be VERY careful and DO go see your doc.

ETA: I'm not sure I was clear; feeling faint once in a great while is no big deal: didn't eat etc. Feeling faint often for anyone is signs of a problem.

I'm still not being exact in what I want to say. [Frown]

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I often feel faint, mine is a low blood pressure problem. If I haven't eaten I really have problems. Definitely get it checked out though, because the bad possibilities list is pretty long. Hopefully it is just a low blood sugar or low blood pressure thing, and it is something that is easy to take care of.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisyslegs:
the "at some point in their lives" is a major clue.

Frequent occurances lead me to yell "Doctor!" Think hard on any recent changes to anything: diet, meds, etc. and be VERY careful and DO go see your doc.

I agree. I've only fainted once in my life (a few days after giving birth to my son) but I'd have to say yes if asked if I've ever fainted.

It may be nothing or at least nothing serious but go see your doctor!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It may just be low blood pressure. Do you feel especially lightheaded or faint when you go from a sitting to a standing position?

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a condition called Vasovagal Syncope. Mine is usually triggerd by seeing or experiencing some sort of trauma, even a minor one, when I have low blood sugar. My blood pressure has always been very low.

I faint regularly after blood draws, pap smears, and seeing things like my daughter's teeth being pulled. It's a whole lot of not-fun.

However, I have other cardiac problems, so if you don't have any it might just be tied to low blood pressure.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Avril, while we may be giving you some advice here, the best thing I can suggest is going to the doctor regardless of whether it passes. That it's been going on for a few days is a little unsettling to me.

But I can't diagnose you. Only a real, live doctor can. Go. If it's nothing, then it's not an issue. If it's something, better you get it diagnosed quickly and properly.

All the best.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree. People occasionally faint. But we're talking a one-time occurance, not something that recurs over several days. Definitely see the doctor whether or not you think the fainting has passed. It could be the flu or you're not eating enough or something else harmless, but it could also be a sign of something more serious.

And please, please, please be careful if you're out walking or driving around. Pull over/sit down if you start to feel faint. I had fainting spells with every pregnancy. It's a pregnancy complication of my mitral valve prolapse (not common but known), but it took a bunch of tests (EKG, holter valve, ultrasound -- none of which were painful) to rule out other things and confirm what it was.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have occassionally fainted. The doctor said it was brought on by low-blood pressure caused by fatigue. Have you been working especially hard lately? Which side of graduation are you on? If you're pushing through the crunch, that could be what's doing it to you. Especially if that's combined with bad eating habits and little exercise, as academic rigours usually are. Definitely see your doctor.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, callee, that's what I believe it is--even I find it difficult to believe that I manage to accomplish everything I need to get done in a given day. Graduation is not until May, but I have been under tremendous stress lately--perhaps no more than at other points in my life, though. Bad eating habits? I try...and when I get physically uncomfortable due to an approaching deadline or something, I go for brisk walks, so again, I try, but I am guessing that I may be pushing myself too hard--a few extra-curricular stresses have added to it, I think.

Avril

--------------------

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely see a doctor on Monday, but a couple thoughts until then...

Are you fully hydrated? Being partially dehydrated can create all sorts of uncomfortable feelings.

Could it be anxiety attacks? I get some anxiety attacks that manifest as feeling as though I am going to pass out.

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanted to bring this one back up... Avril, are you feeling better?

--------------------
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for checking! Apparently I have a tendency toward low blood pressure that stress seems to worsen. I just pushed myself a bit hard this semester and I have had to give myself some permission to hang around eating chips and salsa in front of the T.V. and sleep late on occasion. The week off for Thanksgiving was very much welcomed, even if I did spend most of it writing one of those long grad school papers.

And now, before the week begins again, I have a nice stack of translation assignments for undergraduate Greek to wade through. Luckily for me many of the students are unmotivated and don't do much of anything, which makes the grading faster. (I do not teach this course or I'd have a lot of angst about doing a bad job.) But altogether I am looking forward to taking some serious time off very soon. And maybe eating a little more salt. [Smile]

Avril

--------------------

daisyslegs

It's good to hear you know the cause... now go pamper yourself and relax! I suggest a big soft homebaked pretzel dipped in cheese sauce, a glass of wine and a great book. [Smile] Ah heaven....

--------------------
daisys does Myspace

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages