snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Of fairies, teeth and cash (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Of fairies, teeth and cash
SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 216 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I need some advice from all you snopesters out there. But first, a little history about the problem.

Wednesday night, DD and DD2 were playing one of their games while eating. DD slipped and fell off her chair hitting her face on another chair. Thursday she seemed to be fine, but later in the day, the swelling got worse. This morning, DW took DD to the doctor, who sent her to the dentist. Now, DD is missing 2 of her teeth, and there will be a visit from the tooth fairy tonight and tomorrow night.

So, what I need from all you wise snopesters, is what is the going tooth fairy rate for teeth these days?

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our tooth fairy is stingey, from what I hear. She only gives a dollar.

I hear she gives other families five and ten but we apparently have undesirable teeth.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our kids got a dollar a tooth - and frankly I think that's plenty! Since she lost her teeth in such a traumatic fashion you might be tempted to be more generous - just remember what you give now will likely be what she expects for every tooth.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have 4 kids, so teeth are plentiful at the Jake residence... 1 dollar per tooh is all that the fairy gives here - supply and demand you know!

I too have been told that our fairy is stingey... but I know that my oldest son would break out the pliers if she handed out more cash!!

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She leaves a dollar for the kids and the tooth as well so Mommy can put it away.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiechic
Here We Come A-Mall Crawling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiechic   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pixiechic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our tooth fairy is stingiest of all then. Our oldest just lost her first tooth a couple of weeks ago and she got 50 cents. When I was a kid all I got was a quarter.

Pixie"and my mom wonders why it took forever for me to lose teeth"chic

--------------------
Pixiechic's MySpace page
Our Homepage

Posts: 381 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our tooth fairy currently buys teeth for $2/tooth.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
amywatts
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amywatts   E-mail amywatts   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At our house, you get $5 for your first lost tooth, since it's a really BIG deal. After that, you get a dollar or two. And the tooth fairy also "hides" the tooth in Mommy & Daddy's bathroom so that we can keep it. We find it the next morning together and put it in a safe place.
Posts: 21 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The kid got $2.00 for the first tooth, and $1 per tooth after that. Also, we put the tooth at the foot of the bed, in an envelope on a pillow. I'm not stealthy enough to find something under the kid's head while she's sleeping.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our tooth fairy gave my kids fifty cents per tooth. If it was a traumatic dentist incident, then they got a dollar a tooth.

Except when my youngest lost two bottom teeth to a softball to the mouth.

It was an accident. I was playing catch with the kids and my youngest already had two loose teeth. Anyway, I was lobbing the ball from about four feet away and she held the glove out, it bounced off the top and bam! Right in the mouth. Knocked those two loose teeth right out. She got five bucks for that.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katness
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katness   Author's Homepage   E-mail Katness   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tooth Fairy here leaves $1 per tooth. When I was a kid I got between 10 and 25 cents per tooth.

However, when I lost my last "baby tooth" at around 12 or 13 and had been furiously saving every extra penny for a new bike, the Tooth Fairy wrote me a check for the balance.. around $30. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eschew Obfuscation.

Posts: 72 | From: Puyallup, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan The Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan The Man   E-mail Stan The Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pixiechic:
When I was a kid all I got was a quarter.

I would have yanked them out for a quarter. I got 1 dime/tooth.

--------------------
"A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead" - Stan Laurel

Posts: 249 | From: Dallas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dad "wrapped my tooth" in tissue and put it in a small box to put under my pillow. He told me not to open the box until morning or the tooth fairy would be upset. Since it was one of the last teeth I lost I pretty much figured out that the money was already in the box when we put it under the pillow but I didn't open the box until morning just in case.

-kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count us as another "$1 a tooth" household.

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was losing teeth (say 1994-1996) I got $2 a tooth, but I was a spoiled child. However, I think that in this day and age anything under $1 a tooth is a bit mean.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
When I was losing teeth (say 1994-1996)

I'm so OLD!!!

[Runs off to the corner to sob]

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stan The Man:
quote:

As did I.

CatNip (he got quarters!) and I have discussed this, since it's going to become an issue some time in the next year or so, and we've decided on Sacagawea dollar coins, if we can get them. So a buck a tooth, but with a little pizzaz. [Smile]

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My niece just lost her first tooth. The fairy ran out of change and could only leave a ten. She was informed that first teeth were special and not to expect more than $1 after that. I told my sister if I was the fairy I would have run to the grocery store at midnight to get change. ::lol

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll join you Avril... wow, I am OLD!

I got a dime or a quarter. Once I got a dollar (no change I guess) and the next day I proceeded to wiggle two more loose ones to the point that I forced them out!

Kids love money. [Smile]

Another question for the tooth fairy: What is your Tooth Fairy doing with those teeth anyway?

Our tooth fairy let mom and dad keep a few, but the rest were taken to make false teeth for the elderly, since she long ago finished using them to build her ivory castle. [Smile]

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
amywatts
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amywatts   E-mail amywatts   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisyslegs:
Another question for the tooth fairy: What is your Tooth Fairy doing with those teeth anyway?

I met one person who had their entire Baby Teeth set GLUED onto felt and hung on the wall. I thought that was uber-tacky. Until I heard of the lady who made a necklace out of all her children's baby teeth.
Posts: 21 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1. Collect teeth

3. Profit!

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:
quote:

As did I.

CatNip (he got quarters!) and I have discussed this, since it's going to become an issue some time in the next year or so, and we've decided on Sacagawea dollar coins, if we can get them. So a buck a tooth, but with a little pizzaz. [Smile]

Four Kitties

4K, I got them for my kids' coin books by just going to my Credit Union/bank and exchanging pocketchange for them. I've also done that for Kennedy 1/2 dollars and $2.00 bills.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:
quote:

As did I.

Four Kitties

We do this. The kids get a two dollar bill for the first tooth, and a silver or sacagawea dollar for the teeth thereafter.

In our house the tooth fairy takes the teeth with her and takes them up to the sky to make into new stars.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My tooth fairy gave a quarter, or sometimes a 50 cent piece.

Has anyone's tooth fairy left anything besides money? I think it would be nice if the tooth fairy left something cute or fun to celebrate the lost tooth that wasn't money. I think I might talk to the tooth fairy when I have kids to see if she can leave stickers and small toys instead.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The toothfairy here leaves a dollar per tooth. We put them in a little cup with water in the kitchen window (there's a tiny crack in the window, where the toothfairy can fly through).
However, with DD2, knowing this would be the last first tooth, we had a bit of fun. When she lost it, we told her she had it backwards, she had to pay the toothfairt to take her tooth. DD2 soent the entire day asking her aunts and uncles for money to pay the toothfairy. She rounded up about $5.00. The toothfairy took to the tooth, but left her note explaining that this was a rare, special, tooth she had been looking for for her collection, so there wouldn't be a disposal fee after all.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll join Avril and Daisys sobbing in the corner. My kids were losing teeth during that time. And, I can predict the weather with my aching joints!

Our tooth fairy (when I was growing up) kept them while my dad was off in the field and one year when he was stationed in Korea, she sent him the "weird teeth". I had an "abcess" behind my front tooth. They took out the tooth and lanced this thing. Dozens of tiny little teeth came out. They managed to save about 30 of them. I was missing my front tooth for four years. (I'm in a dental journal- er, my teeth are, that is).

I got five bucks for the weird teeth. Partially because they were weird, partially because I had four stitches in my gum after the procedure.

And when I was a kid, we had to leave our teeth on the mantle of my mother's "Grandmother clock". In my house, our kids left their teeth on top of the TV, next to the pictures of our pets. (we're a light-sleeping family). [Wink]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 505 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't, for the life of me, remember what I got from the tooth fairy. My son got a quarter. That was back in the early to mid-70s.

A guy came into the bank last week and asked for Susan B. Anthony and Sacagawea dollars for the tooth fairy. He has four kids and told me they're at that age, so he wanted to keep some handy, just in case. This was a fairly affluent Ann Arborite. If he can give his kids a dollar, then I wouldn't feel stingy giving any other kid a buck.

A dollar seems more than enough. It's a nice notion, though, to think the tooth fairy deals in coin.

ETA: In my family, we always left our teeth under our pillow for the tooth fairy. In the morning, the tooth would be gone, and money from the tooth fairy left in its place. We didn't go into any detail about it. It was just the way it worked.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never thought about this before but it would seem funny to me to put folding money under a kid's pillow. With my kids they got a loonie or a toonie (depending on how many teeth were under there) and when I was a child I'm pretty sure we got a quarter. I guess, for me, the tooth fairy does have to deal in coin!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gudrin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gudrin   E-mail gudrin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid, the tooth fairy left me a 50 cent piece for each tooth. However, sometimes there would be a pack of Dentyne gum (Cinnamon, which was the flavor my grandpa always had) left behind as well. As I got older, I would literally roll over so my mom or dad could get under my pillow. I like the gold dollar bit. I think my husband and I will use that with our kids.

Random question: Where does the tradition of the tooth fairy come from anyway?

--------------------
Hey look! A shiny new post!

Posts: 125 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Wikipedia has something on the origins of the tooth fairy. And here's The Straight Dope .

--------------------

Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We do the Sacagawea coins, and not just for teeth. We've had one kid lose a fingernail and one a toenail, so the Fingernail Fairy and Toenail Fairy visited on those occasions.

We figure if you lose any body part, you should be compensated some how.

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A dollar seems more than enough. It's a nice notion, though, to think the tooth fairy deals in coin.
Ah, Canada...where the tooth fairy can do both! (LOONIES!)

What does the tooth fairy do with teeth? Well, I hear the tooth fairy believes in a wacky urban legend where if you collect enough teeth, you can trade them in for a wheelchair.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
Originally posted by Adelaide:
We do the Sacagawea coins, and not just for teeth. We've had one kid lose a fingernail and one a toenail, so the Fingernail Fairy and Toenail Fairy visited on those occasions.

We figure if you lose any body part, you should be compensated some how.

Oh jeez. Look what you've done. Now we'll have to start with the foreskin fairy.

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The toothfairy here delivers $2 bills. Which, within the week, we manage to exchange with the kids for 2 $1 bills. I think the same few $2 bills have been circulating here for years.

One time, DS knocked out a tooth bumping into some other kid's head [Eek!] a few days before we left to go to Puerto Rico for a week. He got a $2, and off we went. Right after arriving, his mouth started hurting; seems there was still a part left below the gumline. Thankfully, my cousin is a dentist in PR, so he got it out. DS got an extra fiver for that, mostly because we didn't have any $2s with us.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delia Darrow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delia Darrow   E-mail Delia Darrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Tooth Fairy in our house was a logical, analytical sort. I got a dollar per root, from just a (late 1970's) buck for front teeth to four bucks for the molars. Her 'per root' rationale was that she planted the roots in little babies so they could, in turn, grow teeth. I had to have my impacted wisdom teeth removed surgically, and I didn't get any money for those, but it was OK with me. I got Percocet instead, and that was more than fair, in my view. [Smile]

The Hubby got 50 (late 50's) cents per tooth. He left the tooth in a glass of water next to his bed, and awoke to find the money (in the water!) the next morning. My tooth fairy did her transactions on a special dish in the dining room.

--------------------
Cogito, ergo Dei non est.

Posts: 70 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages