snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » So who gets flu shots? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So who gets flu shots?
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I missed my window of opportunity to get one. The hospital gives the shots free to their employees, and I know it's strongly recommended for pregnant women to get one; but I am/was really nervous to get a shot that I've never had before. Plus, ever year in recent memory I consider myself very lucky that all I ever got was one or two bad colds with low grade fever. One was a given, two was a stretch.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frogpond:
I wonder why a few people have such a bad reaction to the shots if it isn't egg allergies?

Apparently adverse reaction is very rare. Every article that I've read says that people who seem to get the 'flu as a reaction to the shot, were actually exposed to the virus just before or after they were vaccinated, and the vaccine hasn't had a chance to work yet. I've heard so many people blame the shot for getting sick though. I've always wondered if maybe they have a worse bout of it because their immune systems are responding both to the live virus that they were exposed to, and to the killed virus in the vaccine.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got one last year for the first time. I had no notable side effects.

I think its a good idea to support the flu vaccine program so that it stays healthy in case of a serious epidemic. (Yes, I know there are many people on this board who say the threat of pandemic is exaggerated but, in general, I disagree.) I don't think the current vaccines would be of much use in the case of a pandemic. They are generally made from "last year's model" and a best guess of this year's. In the case of a pandemic, it would presumably be something different. However, the business and ogranizations, as well as the systems of distribution have to be supported so that if there is a pandemic we'll have some chance of getting a new vaccine out to the people and places who need it as quickly as possible.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had a flu shot every year since I started working for Customs (so that's 4 shots) and I have noticed a marked reduction in the number of times I've been sick.

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
ali, see if Jasons Dr will give you one as well. My kids Dr told me that they could give me one too when I brought them in so that's what I'm going to do next week.

Oh that's good to know! Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:
quote:
Originally posted by frogpond:
I wonder why a few people have such a bad reaction to the shots if it isn't egg allergies?

Apparently adverse reaction is very rare. Every article that I've read says that people who seem to get the 'flu as a reaction to the shot, were actually exposed to the virus just before or after they were vaccinated, and the vaccine hasn't had a chance to work yet. I've heard so many people blame the shot for getting sick though. I've always wondered if maybe they have a worse bout of it because their immune systems are responding both to the live virus that they were exposed to, and to the killed virus in the vaccine.
I also think that some people get a bad cold a few days after getting the shot & decide its 'The Flu' when its actually just a bad cold or virus.
The Flu Shot has probably been blamed for more illness than Typhoid Mary.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The times I've had the flu I haven't been able to move from my bed. A bad cold will make me miserable but I can still do things. The flu that went around the library about 5 years ago knocked me and every one else who had the misfortune to contract it out for at least 2 weeks. [Frown]

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I also think that some people get a bad cold a few days after getting the shot & decide its 'The Flu' when its actually just a bad cold or virus.
The Flu Shot has probably been blamed for more illness than Typhoid Mary.

Logically, I know that the flu shot doesn't cause the flu. But the one time that I got the shot, I knew I was coming down with a cold. The nurse told me as long as I didn't have a fever, I'd be fine. I didn't, so I got the shot. Within a week, I had full blown pneumonia.

I realize, intellectually, it was a coincidence, but I still can't bring myself to get a flu shot again.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was offered a free one from my employer, but I signed up and then ended up chickening out. The idea that it "could" possibly end up giving me "something" just worried me too much. I cannot get sick right now, I have too much going on.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CSGirl
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSGirl   E-mail CSGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get one now! My freshman year of college I had the flu, and 4k, reading your description made me shiver remembering how horrible I felt. Add to that I was on the top bunk of our bunk beds (I'm too claustrophobic to be on the bottom). The nice thing was that the health center (after chewing me out for waiting too long to go) quarrantined me to my room and then emailed all my professors for me [Smile]

quote:

4K, your description of having the flu a few years back is another reason I get it. I think people forget how bad the flu is. Its like a bad cold times 50. I know how bad I feel with a bad cold & I don't want to do the flu anytime soon!

Yup- people didn't understand why I was sick for so long either- it was about 3 weeks before I was feeling better.

As for this year, the helth center hasn't gotten their shipment in yet [Frown] They were supposed to a few weeks ago, then they cancelled the clinic. Hopefully we'll get them soon!

--------------------
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.
-House MD

Posts: 114 | From: Glastonbury, CT / Houghton, NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mom makes an appointment with our family doctor every year for a couple of years now. I'll have to take time off work to get mine this year.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages