snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » OnStar Emergency, sure it costs more than using your cellular phone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OnStar Emergency, sure it costs more than using your cellular phone
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone out there know anything about On-star?

I keep hearing their commericals advertising how great On-star is because it can get emergency servies. So they use cellular telephone technology so that you can talk to someone who can dial 911 on your behalf? Why is that so much better than dialing 911 on my own? It certainly not any faster, nor is it cheaper. And modern cellular phones have built in GPS technology for use with 911 systems so giving a location isn't much help either.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think their main advertising point is for the situations when the victim of an accident CAN'T use their own cell phone...

a crash where they are knocked unconscious, for example, or their phone is somewhere they can't reach it... if the airbag is deployed the OnStar representatives "page" into the car to see the status of everything.

I have no personal experience with it, however.

Kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Onstar activates itself when your airbag deploys. This means, if you have an accident where you cannot use your cellphone anymore, OnStar would call you through their system, if you dont respond (or if they just hear your groan) they would alert 911.
Also, if you forgot your key in the car, you could call them (through the cell phone as example) to unlock it by remote.
If the car got stolen, onstar could track where it is and report that to the police.
Also if you dont know where you had your car parked (big parking lot, fuddle brain, etc) you can call them and they beep the horn and flash the lights for you.
And they can do a diagnostics (through the board computer) of your car.

Dont have OnStar myself, but I do see the good sides in it.

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Not_Done_Living
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not_Done_Living     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have it.. and it is very good.
If your car won't start.. hit the button and they can run diagnostics.
Car gets stolen. .they can locate and track it.. even shut it down.
Get into an accident and end up in a ditch unconcious.. be sure that they would find you and be able to help you out.

Posts: 62 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just referring to the emergency services package which is a smaller subset of the greater functionality available. It is my understanding that, there are 2 or three packages avaialable with different services offered

I can see where it would be advantagous when one gets in an accident, within cellular phone range, where they are knocked unconscience, the air bag is deployed, but the battery or connecting cables are not damaged. How often do you suppose that happens though?

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
So they use cellular telephone technology so that you can talk to someone who can dial 911 on your behalf? Why is that so much better than dialing 911 on my own?

On-Star has better connection than portable cellular phones. It might be just that they have more wattage or a better antenna, but my fiance can use On-Star at her parents house in the hills of West Virginia even though no cell phone works unless you climb to the top of the ridge.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
So they use cellular telephone technology so that you can talk to someone who can dial 911 on your behalf? Why is that so much better than dialing 911 on my own?

On-Star has better connection than portable cellular phones. It might be just that they have more wattage or a better antenna, but my fiance can use On-Star at her parents house in the hills of West Virginia even though no cell phone works unless you climb to the top of the ridge.
I was wondering about that in particular. That does make sense, since the cellular technology used in a car does not need to be miniturized. I'm sure it would have both a better power source (the car battery) and a better antenae.

--------------------

Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if you lock yourself out of the car they can open the doors for you too.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
missiebreathe
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missiebreathe         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some friends of mine had OnStar in their new SUV. As they were driving somewhere a light went on on the dash with a problem. OnStar diagnosed it from the road, called a shop ahead of them and let them know my friends would be coming. All they had to do was drive in and the mechanic was ready to fix it.
They have used it when locked out too.
That being said, they didn't renew OnStar after the introductory year was up.
Kind of like insurance. Great in case of an emergency, but pricy when you aren't using it.

Posts: 46 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Researching it a bit more, I see that the unlocking of doors, theft detection, etc are all pretty much covered under the Safe & Sound package. This seems like a much better deal then I previous though. I was under the impression that it only included the air bag detection and emergency servies. For $17 a month I can see how this might be a good idea.

Beach...but I only own Toyotas anyway...Life!

--------------------

Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...I was wondering about that in particular. That does make sense, since the cellular technology used in a car does not need to be miniturized. I'm sure it would have both a better power source (the car battery) and a better antenae.

According to this site:
quote:

OnStar's cellular service has a better range than most cell phones (although you can still lose service in remote areas), with a full three watts instead of a regular cell phone's 0.6 watts.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, yes. I've often wondered, just why don't other car companies jump on this? OnStar has been around for years now, and I would guess that means it's been popular enough to keep it around. What's everyone waiting for?

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:
Ah, yes. I've often wondered, just why don't other car companies jump on this? OnStar has been around for years now, and I would guess that means it's been popular enough to keep it around. What's everyone waiting for?

Probably patents and liciencing. I'm sure the idea of OnStar has a rather heavy patent on it.

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But I want to return to one of Beach's first points: power. If you're in an accident that incapacitates you, there's good odds that your car battery has gotten knocked around too. Does Onstar have any kind of emergency alternate power?

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not all 911 systems have the ability to display location- cell phone or land line. My local 911 service does not have ID capacity in any form. OnStar would be a very good thing to have in an emergency out here.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Manzanita SOL
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manzanita SOL   E-mail Manzanita SOL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the How Stuff Works page, the only thing they mentioned about OnStar's power source was this (paragraph 11):
quote:
OnStar's cellular service has a better range than most cell phones (although you can still lose service in remote areas), with a full three watts instead of a regular cell phone's 0.6 watts.
Not that it helps much, but it does explain how it could be more useful, I suppose.

I thought this was interesting, from under the heading "OnStar Controversy" (towards the end):
quote:
But not all reviews of OnStar are positive. Some users call the service "Big Brother" and say that the service can lead to an invasion of privacy.

In addition to airbag deployment and impact severity, the Vehicle Comm and Interface Module can also record whether you're wearing your seatbelt or how fast you're driving. It keeps data related to events immediately before, during and after a crash for about 45 days. The Call Center retains received information for over a year so that it can maintain quality and follow-up on customer complaints.

*a relatively uninteresting bit goes here*

...Although it did not mention OnStar by name, a United States Appeals Court ruled in 2003 that the government may be able to use the on-board cell phone to eavesdrop on drivers.

I don't see where there's a real problem with that, except for the last part, here. The device that records the accident data only starts recording from moment of impact (also found on that page).

Still, I wish I could find out whether there's an alternat power source or not. It's going to be one of those little things that sticks in the back of my mind, now.

~Manza

--------------------
Take a step outside the planet,
Then turn around and round
Take a look at where you are
It's pretty scary.
--"Turnaround" - Nirvana

Posts: 60 | From: Richmond (Glen Allen), VA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be a 911 operator and dealt with OnStar a few times. One time they called us saying that someone's panic button had been activated and all they could give me was a general location. This was an urban area and a several-block radius didn't help much. Then I asked for a plate, and they gave me something that didn't even fit the license plate format. I asked for a name and they didn't have that. After several in-house computer searches, I was finally able to figure out a plate that was similar, that was registered to the same make vehicle whose owner lived in the area. It ended up being parked at home and the panic button was hit by accident, but I couldn't help but notice that not only did they not have the owner's name or the correct license plate, but they could only give me a general location...and when you are talking a panic button in an urban area, that doesn't do much good. It took me a long time to find the correct information.

Other than that, I guess it would be good in case of an accident or if you locked yourself out.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages