snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Maryland Crab Cakes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maryland Crab Cakes
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 04 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just love the classic authentic "Maryland Crab Cake". But I haven't found truly satisfying ones outside of Maryland and Virginia. The real thing must be one of the best indigenous foods of the Chesapeake area. It's really hard to think of anything better when you are eating a fine blue crab cake that weighs as much as a big fat hamburger. The right remoulade sauce envelopes it all in a sort of cosmic karma that validates life itself.

But I haven't had a cake anywhere quite like the ones I had in Baltimore. Do you have your own crab cake stories or recipes? My mouth waters just thinking of them!

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have much to add, except that I also LOVE crab cakes. Amazing!

I could find pretty good ones back home, or at least nearby (PA, about 90 minutes north of the Mason-Dixon). Here, I have to say that I have had more bad than good experiences with crab cakes. In fact, I'd say that I've tried about 4 or 5 different place's crab cakes and only one place had really good crab cakes. Plus, up here they're always so small...even two does not a real dinner make.

I guess I should stick to lobster while in Maine!

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was (I guess maybe still is, but I haven't lived in Md for awhile) this 24 hr diner in Baltimore called the Sip & Bite. It was near the harbor, but not the Disneyfied part called Inner Harbor; this was north of Fells Point in "real Baltimore." It wasn't a fancy place, maybe even a bit of a dive, but they made a mighty fine crabcake. We'd sometimes hit it if we had a late night project at work and we needed to find a place open. One time there I found a nickel in my cole slaw.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: No threads on Maryland seafood are allowed on this board! [Wink] Next to my family, it's what I miss the most.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simone
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for simone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
There was (I guess maybe still is, but I haven't lived in Md for awhile) this 24 hr diner in Baltimore called the Sip & Bite. It was near the harbor, but not the Disneyfied part called Inner Harbor; this was north of Fells Point in "real Baltimore." It wasn't a fancy place, maybe even a bit of a dive, but they made a mighty fine crabcake. We'd sometimes hit it if we had a late night project at work and we needed to find a place open. One time there I found a nickel in my cole slaw.

Nick

I know the Sip & Bite well - my sister is a big fan. The area (Canton) is gentrifying at a very rapid rate, so I don't know what the future has in store for little places like the Sip & Bite. [Frown]

As for the OP, despite growing up in MD (Baltimore, in fact), I have never been a fan of crab (yeah, I know, I'm the heretic in my family). I think it might be a result of seeing the other ways crab is prepared in Maryland: either picked (scary dismantling) or as a fried soft crab sandwich. That'll put you off it for good.

Posts: 293 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a place nearish to me called JD Shuckers that has *great* crabcakes. Huge and no shell whatsoever (I have this... aversion?... to even the smallest bit of any kind of shell, carb, egg, what have you, in my food and will get sick if I find any). But this is Delaware, so I guess it doesn't count, as it's still in the area of Maryland.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, if it's made with crab, crab, a little egg, and more some more crab, then it's a Maryland Crab Cake. Growing up in North Carolina the only crab cakes I ever had were mostly breading with some crab. They were dry and nasty.

So when I moved up here I avoided the crab cake for some time. Then I was at a craft show, fair, carnival, or one of those other hundreds of places they sell them around here, and there was nothing else I would even think about eating.

I have to say I was hooked. I can't believe the difference between real maryland crab cake and those bricks they serve everywhere else. I have to say Phillips is one of the best and I've seen their frozen cakes in the grocery stores down in NC. I've also gotten kinda picky over which booths I'll buy cakes from at the fairs. I watch them dip up the cakes before I'll consider buying them. I've noticed some have gotten stingy on the size of their cakes.

I was also reluctant to try softshell crab but I did eventually have a bite. And if I can ever get over the fact that it's looking at me I might eat it again. [Eek!]

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider

Icon 23 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Basically they need to look like this rather than this.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blucanary:

And if I can ever get over the fact that it's looking at me I might eat it again. [Eek!]

Those crabs can see the future.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 86 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simone:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nick Theodorakis:
[As for the OP, despite growing up in MD (Baltimore, in fact), I have never been a fan of crab (

I HATE seafood and I'm a native as well.
[Eek!] <--husband's reaction when I told him I hate seafood.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Barns Here is my modified OLD BAY recipe for you to make at home:

OLD BAY Crab Cakes:
Ingredients:
Up to 2 slices white bread, crusts removed (less is better)
2 tbsp light mayonnaise
1 to 1 1/2 tbsp OLD BAY Seasoning
2 tsp dry parsley flakes or 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh
1/2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
1 egg, beaten
1 pound fresh lump crabmeat (can be found canned at most major supermarkets)

Directions:
1. Break bread into really small pieces in large bowl. Mix in mayonnaise, OLD BAY, parsley, mustard and egg. Stir in crabmeat. Shape mixture into patties.

2. Broil 10 minutes without turning or fry (One tbsp of any kind of oil. With EVOO, use another 1/2 tbsp of butter) until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with additional OLD BAY, if desired.

Serve with my remoulade:

Wisk together:
2 tbsp light mayonnaise
2 tbsp creole mustard
1 tbsp catsup
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp Tabasco
2-3 tsp prepared horseradish
1 tbsp minced capers (optional)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar (optional)

Enjoy!

RangerDog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maryland crab cakes gooood.

Crab cakes in Los Angeles - baaaad.

I learned the hard way.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see any bacon in that recipe. On the other hand, you left the beans out! Hooray.

Actually, Rangerdog, that looks pretty good. Do they hold together well under the broiler? I'd rather not fry, but I'd like even less to scrape up 9.00 worth of lump crab meat off the bottom of the broiler pan.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the frying part as well, Gayle but for me they come out best that way. You need a small amount of oil for the flip (lovingly turned over) and to crisp up each side (ala potatoe pancakes). Restaurants generally use a double flame broiler like a salamander.

Oh and you might like the fact that I ate at Red, Hot, and Blue this weekend and didn't order BBQ. Unusual for me, I had the "Texas" brisket sandwich. Real, real tender and good!

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was also reluctant to try softshell crab but I did eventually have a bite. And if I can ever get over the fact that it's looking at me I might eat it again. [Eek!]

That's why you're supposed to put it in a sandwich! [Wink]

There was a Chinese restautant in Columbia that used to make a pretty good soft shell crab in black bean sauce.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, here's my recipe, slightly different from Ronager Dog's. Also, I would recommend the fresh jumbo lump crabcake you get from the seafood section of your gorcer's or, better yet, from the seafood market. But if all you can get is the canned, then ooooookay. But make sure it's the jumbo lump, NOT the backfin -- big difference in taste!

1 lb. crab meat
1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning (must be Old Bay and you can use more, but a little goes a long way)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
12 Saltine crackers
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. mustard
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp. parsley flakes

Even though the crab meat has been picked, go through it again and pick out all the cartilage that was missed. Place crab meat into a bowl. Break crackers into small pieces and add to the crab. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss together with a fork. Shape mixture , tossling gentley from hand to hand, into 6 jumbo cakes. Broil about 4-5 min. per side until golden brown. Alternately, deep fry in preheated oil 4-5 min., flipping once, until golden brown.

We always broil them and the cakes can be flaky, but the taste is worth any messiness. It also takes a bit of practice to get the hang of forming them with enough pressure to hold them together without squeezing the "juices" all out.

DH prefers his broken into smaller pieces and eaten on a saltine with mustard. I prefer mine whole with lemon juice squirted on it. Experimenting to find your own preferences is the best part!

ETA: BTW, Phillips does deliver!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes but it's a mental thing. I KNOW that crab can see me through the bread. [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes but it's a mental thing. I KNOW that crab can see me through the bread. [Frown]
I'm the same way! I also usually get someone else to pick my crabs for me... I mean, it's staring right at you. I just don't feel right having it watch me as I flip it over and break into it's body via it's penis. That, and I have this horrible fear of zombie crabs... like, I'm going to pick one up, and it's going to come back to life to seek revenge on me for trapping it earlier.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

I have no problem picking them. It's the whole biting into it whole that gets me. But I do know what you mean ripping into the poor thing after I boil it alive and castrate it does kinda feel wrong.

--------------------

Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
RD, never been to a Red, Hot, and Blue, but sliced brisket can be the best or the worst. Trimmed correctly and cooked slowly, you could just die. I live approximately two blocks from ruby's, and the other day, the low clouds and fog trapped the smoke from the smokehouse down at nose level. It was all I could do not to have a brisket frenzy.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages