snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Food questions for non USAns (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Food questions for non USAns
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have recently been subject to a change in diet. Among the things that are being removed from my diet is high fructose corn syrup. What I have noticed is that food without high fructose corn syrup are not a sweet as those with it. Now, there can be all sorts of explanations for that including that the goal of the producers of these new-to-me brands simply are trying to make a less sweet product. But I got to thinking....

1. Do I remember correctly that a non-USAn's common complaint about USA food is that it tends to be too sweet?

2. Am I correct in thinking that non-USAn food is less likely to contain high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener?

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm not an expert or anything but I usually look to buy products with no added sweetener (especially those products that really don't need sugar because they aren't sweet at all). Because of that I have fallen into the habit of reading the ingredients list of almost everything I buy.

As far as I remember everything here is sweetened with plain, white sugar, probably extracted from sugar beets. I don't remember ever having come across anything that is sweetened with corn syrup, could be that I simply forgot about it but I think sweetening with high fructose corn sirup is indeed much more common in the USA.

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
defaultcrush
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for defaultcrush   Author's Homepage   E-mail defaultcrush   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have an answer for you, but that'd got to be so hard. [Razz] My husband and I are trying to cut out excess HFCS (we're not ready to give up soda completely, though we do our best to not drink a lot of it) and the stuff is *everywhere*. We'll sit in the bread aisle for a good 10 minutes, looking through hamburger and hot dog buns and trying to find any of them that don't use it. We've found some bread that doesn't, but it's one brand while the rest of it has it in the top 5 ingredients. Condiments are pretty bad too.

--------------------
Kaylee Frye: Been more'n a year since I had anything twixt my nethers didn't run on batteries!
-Serenity

Posts: 503 | From: Utah | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by defaultcrush:
My husband and I are trying to cut out excess HFCS (we're not ready to give up soda completely, though we do our best to not drink a lot of it) and the stuff is *everywhere*.

My name is Sara and I'm a Pepsiholic. I can't imagine ever giving it up. However, I have recently tasted some sodas made without high fructose corn syrup which I found to be quite tasty but a lot less sweet -- not necessarily a bad thing. I don't know if it is characteristic of the brands I've found or of the form of sweetener. In fact, that's the specific product that led to this thread.

Found the sodas at Whole Foods and in the organic/natural sections of our local grocery chain (Giant), but just the ones in the affluent neighborhoods.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
default- when it gets around Passover time, stock up on kosher for Passover soda. The Coca-Cola and Diet Coke is made with sugar, not corn syrup (and that can be a good tip for you too, Sara!)

ETA: and I'm not certain, but I THINK Dr. Brown soda doesn't use HFCS. Worst case scenario, look for diet sodas without HFCS. Or just drink water.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
going slightly mad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for going slightly mad   E-mail going slightly mad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, interesting, I just checked the ingredients for Pepsi in the English and German wikipedia. In English one of the ingredients is (as already mentioned) high fructose corn sirup whereas in German the sweetener is sugar.

--------------------
Don't warn the tadpoles!

Posts: 109 | From: Vienna | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always found Pepsi tastes way sweeter than Coke. I never realised the sweetening ingredient was different.

Anecdotally incidentally I have found that American made products do taste sweeter than the same products made in the UK.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1. Do I remember correctly that a non-USAn's common complaint about USA food is that it tends to be too sweet?
Yep, but I would probably exclude English cooking as well. And Arabic pastries.

quote:
2. Am I correct in thinking that non-USAn food is less likely to contain high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener?
Yep, with the above exclusions. Heck, in Sweden we even have sweets that aren't sweet.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Specific examples:

Our European made Heinz ketchup and Special K Red have sugar. According to the U.S. websites, the U.S. versions have high fructose corn syrup.

Oreos are glucose and fructose syrup - U.S. is HFCS.

Cherry Coke has sugar here. And it's canned in the Netherlands - reading Dutch is weird.

Friends of ours moved to the U.S. a few years ago. They had the same problem as defaultcrush with bread and other foodstuffs.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
default- when it gets around Passover time, stock up on kosher for Passover soda. The Coca-Cola and Diet Coke is made with sugar, not corn syrup (and that can be a good tip for you too, Sara!)

Just a nitpick, Mickey. Diet Coke, even during Passover, would not contain sugar.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
I've always found Pepsi tastes way sweeter than Coke. I never realised the sweetening ingredient was different.

Being an expert on the difference in Pepsi and Coke -- I don't willingly drink Coke unless it comes from a "fountain" -- Pepsi is sweeter because that's the taste they are going for. Coke has a slightly bitter taste. However, in the USA if not in other countries, both are made with high fructose corn syrup. But I am going to check the Passover thing Mickey mentioned. I wonder if that is limited to certain areas.

quote:
Anecdotally incidentally I have found that American made products do taste sweeter than the same products made in the UK.
That's what I thought people had mentioned.

--------------------

Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by Die Capacitrix:

There's the other item that triggered this thread: Oreos

I bought Whole Foods version of Oreos. Liked the cookie just as much as Oreos but the big difference was in the filling. The WF was made with sugar and no trans fats. Just as tasty but not as sweet or smooth a texture.

--------------------

queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scari at haunted home:

Sometimes it's way too sweet for me.Sometimes just too much cinnamon.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahdra
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahdra   E-mail Kahdra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to my father-in-law, who once worked as a chemical engineer in a sugar refinery, fructose is much sweeter than sucrose (sugar), but sucrose is a better flavor enhancer. His favorite example is maple syrup: maple syrup made with high fructose corn syrup is much sweeter, but maple syrup made with sugar has a better flavor.

I would expect that once you get past the lessened sweetness of sugar-sweetened products, you'll find the actual flavors much more satisfying.

--------------------
"Science makes everything sound painful, Spongebob." - Sandy

Posts: 225 | From: Salt Lake County, UT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
GRRRR!

There's no such thing as maple syrup made with high fructose corn syrup! Maple syrup is a specific category of sweetener all by itself, just like honey is. One comes from bees, the other from trees.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahdra
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kahdra   E-mail Kahdra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry, I meant maple-flavored syrup, or whatever they call the stuff in the grocery store that they want me to put on my pancakes.

--------------------
"Science makes everything sound painful, Spongebob." - Sandy

Posts: 225 | From: Salt Lake County, UT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, sorry, Nonny. Most of us in the US, outside of some New England states, have grown up using watered down maple syrup on our pancakes and french toast. It's not our fault. Used to be pure maple syrup wasn't as accessible to us. On the other hand, the pancake syrups we grew up with were cheap. Well, they were cheap at one time.

Pure maple syrup is about 90% or better sucrose. But, if you only use a bit of maple syrup in your product, you have to sweeten it with something.

Here in the midwest, or the corn belt, you have one heck of a time trying to buy products that aren't sweetened with corn syrup. To me, this is an abomination because I don't like the flavor of corn syrup. But did they ask me? Nooooooo! And just up the road a ways we have plants that process sugar beets! And we're still forced to down corn syrup. It's just not right.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, I have never heard of corn syrup, or used it in cooking, so I guess it's true to say that it is not commonly used in Oz. I don't remember ever seeing it in an ingredient list either, although it's possible. We do use Golden Syrup though, which is made from sugar.

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sara, if you have a taste for it a/o can find it in your area, theres Dublin Dr. Pepper
Its made with cane sugar instead of HFCS. I've not had any but apparently it has quite a following. Dr Pepper is pretty sweet on its own so I don't know if the kind made with cane sugar is sweeter or not sweeter.

You can order on-line but I'm sure shipping soda cans to Pennsylvania from TX is not cheap.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
Yeah, sorry, Nonny. Most of us in the US, outside of some New England states, have grown up using watered down maple syrup on our pancakes and french toast. It's not our fault. Used to be pure maple syrup wasn't as accessible to us. On the other hand, the pancake syrups we grew up with were cheap. Well, they were cheap at one time.

Pure maple syrup is about 90% or better sucrose. But, if you only use a bit of maple syrup in your product, you have to sweeten it with something.

Here in the midwest, or the corn belt, you have one heck of a time trying to buy products that aren't sweetened with corn syrup. To me, this is an abomination because I don't like the flavor of corn syrup. But did they ask me? Nooooooo! And just up the road a ways we have plants that process sugar beets! And we're still forced to down corn syrup. It's just not right.

The irony, tag, is that I, a proud and patriotic Canadian, grew up putting corn syrup, marketed AS corn syrup, on my pancakes. I was in my teens before I ever tasted real maple syrup.

BTW, both pure corn syrup and real maple syrup taste better than that Aunt Jemima crap.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 02 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by me, no really:
FWIW, I have never heard of corn syrup, or used it in cooking, so I guess it's true to say that it is not commonly used in Oz. I don't remember ever seeing it in an ingredient list either, although it's possible. We do use Golden Syrup though, which is made from sugar.

You want corn syrup? Come to the US. Corn is not only fodder, it's our number one sweetener, and you can burn it in your vehicle!

Clicky da piccy:

Sorry for the highjack, Sara!

ETA: Oh, then I'm doubly sorry, Nonny. It's all our fault, of course. I don't care for Aunt Jemima syrup either. I was raised on Log Cabin. Or during really bad weather when my carpenter father couldn't work and money was tight, my mother made simple syrup and put *gasp!* imitation maple flavoring in it, for our pancakes.

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monster Mousse:
The irony, tag, is that I, a proud and patriotic Canadian, grew up putting corn syrup, marketed AS corn syrup, on my pancakes. I was in my teens before I ever tasted real maple syrup.

BTW, both pure corn syrup and real maple syrup taste better than that Aunt Jemima crap.

Nonny

Is that a Maritime thing Nonny? Whenever I visited my relatives in Nova Scotia I noticed that we got corn syrup on our waffles or pancakes. I always wondered why they didn't use maple syrup.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
Originally posted by Monster Mousse:

Nonny

Is that a Maritime thing Nonny? Whenever I visited my relatives in Nova Scotia I noticed that we got corn syrup on our waffles or pancakes. I always wondered why they didn't use maple syrup.
Dunno. I know my mother, also Nova Scotian, has always thought Dad and Dan and I were weird...as far as she's concerned the only proper topping for pancakes is molasses.

Nonny

--------------------

Damian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most Australians would not realise that Americans don't use cane sugar. Our sugar comes (mostly) from sugar cane. Is there a difference in the sweetness between beet and cane sugar?

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
Sara, if you have a taste for it a/o can find it in your area, theres Dublin Dr. Pepper
Its made with cane sugar instead of HFCS. I've not had any but apparently it has quite a following. Dr Pepper is pretty sweet on its own so I don't know if the kind made with cane sugar is sweeter or not sweeter.

You can order on-line but I'm sure shipping soda cans to Pennsylvania from TX is not cheap.

I'm not a Dr Pepper fan. I really like my Pepsi. But thanks for the link, I never knew there were two kinds of Dr Pepper.

--------------------

Sara at home

Just to be clear, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup are not the same thing. The clear Karo Syrup and the Pancake syrup contain both. The darkest one doesn't have HFCS in it.

--------------------

Damian

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
Most Australians would not realise that Americans don't use cane sugar. Our sugar comes (mostly) from sugar cane. Is there a difference in the sweetness between beet and cane sugar?

Just found the answer to my own question:

The product of Sugar Cane contains 10%-15% sucrose, whilst Sugar Beets contain 15%-20% sucrose. (Thanks Wiki)

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Die Capacitrix:

There's the other item that triggered this thread: Oreos

I bought Whole Foods version of Oreos. Liked the cookie just as much as Oreos but the big difference was in the filling. The WF was made with sugar and no trans fats. Just as tasty but not as sweet or smooth a texture.

Oreos here have never had trans fats. We can no longer stomach the U.S. version (trans fat free since Jan 2006) as we have become used to the European version. Trans fatsprovide a different texture which, IMO, most Americans are used to.

I have friends in Oregon that love Nutella, but they don't buy it in the U.S. because it's made with trans fats. The original Nutella, sold here, is made with palm oil.

Minor rant. Why do so many companies only have the nutrition panel, but not the ingredients on-line? Grrr.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes, it does seem very sweet to me. When I was at sea, I usually tried to avoid eating the bread when we resupplied from an American base or ship. It was more like a very flavorless sponge cake than bread. Unfortunately, we didn't get fresh bread made on board unless we had almost totally run out of what we had in frozen stores. None of the crew liked the sweetness of American-made bread, so it took a long time to eat our way to that point.

Soft drinks were the same - very sweet when supplied by Americans. For some reason they were also too sweet when we got them from the Philippines. Perhaps they use corn syrup there, too. I remember there was a bit of a fuss kicked up once when we had returned to Australia, but the Coke machine in the JS was still dispensing American drinks. The stewards wouldn't tell us when we would be back on "normal" soft drinks, because they knew people would stop buying them until that time, so if someone wanted a drink, they'd try to wait in line behind someone else in the hope that the can that person bought would be the last of the American ones.
quote:
I'm not sure. As far as I know, they use cane sugar in everything over here.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
8Asahi8
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8Asahi8   E-mail 8Asahi8   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I moved to Japan I had a few people mention this to me (I'm American). Quite frankly I haven't noticed a difference. All the breads are sweet (I have never found wheat bread) and there are quite a few sauces that are sweet as well. The desserts are less sweet, but that's because they often revolve around fresh fruit and maybe yogurt or sherbert. Fanta is huge here and I think it's way more sweet than Pepsi or Coke. Minor differences, and I think it evens out in the end.
Posts: 8 | From: Fukushima, Japan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HFCS is cheaper than sugar in the US due to US subsidies, quotas, and tariffs designed to protect US sugar and corn industry ("When corn is king"). If I recall correctly, ADM is the largest recipient of corporate welfare in the US.

Outside the US, sugar is cheaper (half of US prices).

Candy makers have moved out of the US for the cheaper sugar: "It's Daley vs. sugar lobby to save jobs: City says costs hurt candy plants"

Most soda makers tailor their formulas for the local market, so US Coke, German Coke, etc, will not taste the same (and why Coke in some countries tastes sweeter). I'm pretty sure, though, that Mexican Coke is the same as US Coke, except it is made with sugar. You should be able to find Mexican sodas in some local grocers, especially in areas with a good sized Mexican population. I go out of my way to get Mexican Coke -- much better than US Coke.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes, in Hungary anyway. Their pastries and candies taste so bland to me, but my friends complain they can't manage more than a bite of rich American sweets.
quote:

Again, that is certainly true here. I'm not sure they manufacture it (there is no translation for it), though recently we've gotten some generic pancake syrup from England in the bigger stores. Only expats buy it, though.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Just found the answer to my own question:

The product of Sugar Cane contains 10%-15% sucrose, whilst Sugar Beets contain 15%-20% sucrose. (Thanks Wiki)

That is the sugar content of a beet compared to a cane. The suger we put in our coffee (or tea) is refined to a content more like 100% sucrose (99.7% according to Danish sugar manufacturer Dansukker), regardless where it originated.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Now I'm wondering how many extra empty calories a day this expectation of what the rest of the world see as super sweetness which we USAns have gotten use to is contributing to our diets.

Is it me or does it seem like the more sweet/sugar in your diet, the more sweet/sugar you want to eat? Does all this sweetness make us crave more? Is it the fructose itself or is it the chemical reaction going on in our body or is it the fact that sweet just taste good to most of us? Or none of the above?

(I bet if I go to an anti-HFCS site, I will find more discussions about this than I want to read. I guess this is something I'm going to have to delve into... **sigh**)

--------------------

Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a big debate in Sweden about that. At least two people I know claim that they are sugerholics and I honestly have no idea wether there is such a thing as a dependency on sugar. If there is I doubt that it has something to do with the taste as all as all carbohydrates (and as stated in this thread different sugars vary in sweetness) we take in end up as glucose before our bodies can take care of it, so my very layman guess is that if it exists it has something to do with body chemistry (or our minds, which would be my first guess).

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages