snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » How can one strengthen their hair?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How can one strengthen their hair?
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 301 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I currently have a 17yo girl living with me. She is in no way related to me, so i can't tell her what to do to strengthen her hair, as i'm not an expert and only know my own hair.

What kinds of vitamins or products can she take or use to help?

She teaches swimming lessons at our local pool, but she says she uses a swim cap. She has fairly thin blonde hair, with a natural curl/wave to it.

I suggested she take prenatal vitamins, but i'm not sure if she should or not.

So, my fellow snopesters, any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drama Queen Of Mars
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drama Queen Of Mars   E-mail Drama Queen Of Mars   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I make mine do situps and it jogs 3 miles every morning before it goes to the YMCA to do a little lifting. Sorry...I got it... [fish]

--------------------
WARNING: Men viewed through beer goggles may be uglier than they appear!

Posts: 50 | From: Springfield, OH | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No no, silly! Everyone knows that the way to strengthen hair, or biceps for that matter, is a whole lot of...

(no, he's not gonna say it)

YES!

...curls

[fish] aww man.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would call your hairstylist or your doctor and ask their advice. She should definitely NOT take prenatal vitamins unless they are okayed by the doctor. I don't know, but they may contain levels of certain vitamins that are harmful when taken over the long-term by someone as young as her.

A good first step would be for her to make sure she's taking a decent multivitamin. If her hair is dry or chemically treated, a product for that type of hair would be good. My hair is dry but also very thick, so I use Redken's All Soft shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner. But I work in the salon, so I get a discount. Redken also makes a line called Moist Ends, which is designed specifically for dry hair. If money is tight, VO5's hot oil treatments are really quite good.

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You mentioned that she's a blonde; is her hair color natural?
I ask because I had very light blonde hair as a child, but it darkened to a sort of dirty or "ash blonde" when I hit puberty, so I started putting highlights in it. After years of damaging my hair with bleach, my stylist suggested we try the color alone. It worked beautifully; not only did the color adhere to my unbleached hair, it looked warmer and more natural. Years after giving up bleach for good, my hair is much thicker and stronger than it's ever been in my life. So if this girl uses any coloring products--especially cheap drugstore chemicals like Sun-In--she should stop, and look into less damaging options with a good stylist.
Unless she's vitamin-deficient, taking more vitamins won't make her hair any stronger. Some conditioners coat the hair shaft, making it less susceptible to damage, but they aren't the best for women with fine hair, as the coating tends to make hair appear limp and greasy. Rather than strengthening her hair, she might want to focus on protecting it. No tight ponytails, no bleach, no teasing, no obsessive brushing, and absolutely no lowering of braids from castle towers in case of imprisonment by wicked stepmothers.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She's naturally a light blonde. She doesn't highlight it. She did get something called lowlights or something, where she darkened her hair in streaks. She doesn't use chemicals, she doesn't even put hairspray or gel in it.

I will talk to her about obsessive brushing, and always having it pulled back. We'll also look into a better shampoo for her.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm off to search for little tiny dumbbells!

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She will probably need a shampoo to combat the chlorine in the pool when she swims as well - nothing turns my hair to coarse fuzz more quickly than a good dwim. Wearing a swimming hat doesn't help much, if at all, in keeping your hair dry in the poot - in fact hwen i sued to havew to wear them I found that they made my hair even worse: like elastice bands the rubber caught and ulled and snapped at my hair. Ditch the swimming hat, plait the hair and then use s ahmppo and conditioner specially formulated for use after swimming.

The over-brushing won't help, but tying it back often shouldn't be a problem as long as she's using soft hair bobbles and not elastic bands or ones with metal on them.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
She will probably need a shampoo to combat the chlorine in the pool when she swims as well - nothing turns my hair to coarse fuzz more quickly than a good dwim. Wearing a swimming hat doesn't help much, if at all, in keeping your hair dry in the poot

And we all like a good dwim in the poot every so often. [Wink]

Having her hair pulled back won't affect it too much, unless it is absolutely scraped back and pulled really tight, every day.

I'm a bit confused, though. Does she want to make it stronger or thicker? What is weak about it?

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus! I need a new keyboard! (Just about every key has had the letter rubbed off it now, and as you can see I'm not a touch-typer and my proof-reading skills have gone out of the window [Embarrassed] Anyone else have this trouble with black keyboards?)

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was a fantastic post Mosh. I think "elastice" is my new favourite word!

I'll start a collection for your new keyboard!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

I aim to please!

The dreadful thing is my new keyboard has been waiting in supplies for me for two weeks, but I'm too lazy to go and pick it up!

--------------------

Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Get her the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey.
The thing about curly hair is that it tends to be finer and drier than straight hair. Do not even listen to what people with thick straight hair have to say about this. They do not understand that fine curly hair is different.

I have fine curly hair too and based on that book and some other research here is what I do for stronger shiny hair.
No heat - no curling irons or hairdryer
No Shampoo - ever (I tried every combination under the sun of shampoo and conditioner and only when I stopped using shampoo did my hair improve. It's a little weird the first few days but once the natural oils come back you'll see a remarkable difference.)
No Brush - use a comb or a pick. Never a brush.

I am also a swimmer and trust me the chlorine is all the "cleaning" her hair needs. Rinsing throughly with water and then using a conditioner will make her hair feel so thick and look shiney. Recently, a hairdress suggest putting a little bit of cheap conditioner on my hair before I get in the pool will help. Based on what Mosherette said (or tried to say) I think I might stop using a swim cap.

One more thing - she can use hairspray etc as long as she gets the kind without alcohol.

Yet another thing - I've taken prenatal vitamins for years. I started when I was trying to get pregnant and my nails got a lot stronger. When I stopped taking them the difference was noticlable. If you compare what is in multis and prenatals there isn't much difference. Now I alternate between them. Never did much for my hair.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack] Mosh, YOMANK! I laughed so hard tears came to my eyes. And the best thing was that despite all the delicious typos (I like "s ahmppo" best) your advice was clear as a bell! [/hijack]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
in fact hwen i sued to havew to wear them I found that they made my hair even worse:

This was my favorite part. That's what I tell people who are lawsuit happy - be careful what you wish for, it might actually happen. Now I can tell them that Mosh sued to have to wear her swimming hat, it didn't turn out so good for her. [lol]

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She could try a product called "Mane and Tail". It works for me, but I don't have thin hair. I put it on after I shampoo and leave it on.

Only use a LITTLE of it at a time, though. Maybe the size of two peas on each half of your hair. Too much and your hair gets sticky and horrible.

Or you could use it as a regular conditioner and rinse it out. But I like it better when I leave it in.

That and always braiding my hair to reduce tangles works well for me.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything you take internally will take months if not years to show up in your hair. The healthy hair will start at the roots after all.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Multivitamins will help but as Rhi said it takes a long time for the effect to show.

Thickening shampoo might help.

I also have naturally blonde hair and when I was little we always used Ultraswim to keep the chlorine from turning it green and making it break off. Rinsing your hair in cold water before getting in the pool is supposed to help too.

For conditioners, if she is willing to spend a little more than usual, Pureology is excellent.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 98 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessBOO:
quote:
She will probably need a shampoo to combat the chlorine in the pool when she swims as well - nothing turns my hair to coarse fuzz more quickly than a good dwim. Wearing a swimming hat doesn't help much, if at all, in keeping your hair dry in the poot

I'm having a hard time stopping my giggling at this - I guess I've reverted back to childhood! I needed the laugh, though, so thanks!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frogpond:
quote:
Originally posted by jessBOO:
quote:

I'm having a hard time stopping my giggling at this - I guess I've reverted back to childhood! I needed the laugh, though, so thanks!
You and me both!! [lol]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

The terrible thing is, I did actually proof read it and I didn't see any of it.

This is happening more and more often, actually, and I'm getting a bit worried about it [Frown]

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aud:

No heat - no curling irons or hairdryer

You can use them if you use a heat protective spray.
quote:

No Brush - use a comb or a pick. Never a brush.

agree!!
quote:

I am also a swimmer and trust me the chlorine is all the "cleaning" her hair needs. Rinsing throughly with water and then using a conditioner will make her hair feel so thick and look shiney.Recently, a hairdress suggest putting a little bit of cheap conditioner on my hair before I get in the pool will help.

OK, I agree with the conditioner before swimming thing. I don't agree with the chlorine theory though. Chlorine will make dry hair ever drier and strip it out. You really need to use an anti-chlorine shampoo, such as Ultra Swim, after swimming. It works wonders on my hair.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The terrible thing is, I did actually proof read it and I didn't see any of it.

This is happening more and more often, actually, and I'm getting a bit worried about it [Frown]

Mosh, it's common and normal to miss even blatent typos when proofing your own work. You know what you meant to say, so that's what you see.

Get a friend to proof you for a few days and see if s/he thinks you're making more mistakes than usual. You might also have s/him proof things you've already proofed for a few days and see how that goes.

Seaboe

ETA: Blatent? Oopsie. I meant blatant, of course.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Prenatal vitamins may be out, but she should still be able to take a vitamin formulated for Hair, skin, and nails. GNC makes one brand, and I'm sure there's others out there.

When I was growing out my hair from a shorter length, I used Hask's Henna 'n Placenta about once a week. Sounds gross--yes, but I could see a difference after using it for about a month. It looks like Walgreens might carry it, but I always picked up the packs at Sally Beauty Supply.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffles

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Mosh, I wasn't laughing at your typos. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

I was laughing at the "And we all like a good dwim in the poot every so often" comment because it just sounded so dirty...Yes, i have the mind of a kid in junior high school....

--------------------

Virulaceous
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virulaceous   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a friend with very long hair (past her waist) and she swears by a supplement called Biotin to keep it healthy. I've been taking it for the past month or so (hoping to get rid of this dreadful hair cut soon) and it does seem to help. It also really strengthens your nails.

quote:
Originally posted by Aud:

No Shampoo - ever (I tried every combination under the sun of shampoo and conditioner and only when I stopped using shampoo did my hair improve. It's a little weird the first few days but once the natural oils come back you'll see a remarkable difference.)

So do you just rinse your hair and then use conditioner on it? I'm willing to try anything to get my hair to grow.

--------------------
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Posts: 86 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages