snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Gross-out candy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gross-out candy
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 86 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heard about this on the radio this morning.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which one of those are you referring to?

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 86 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This one in particular

Also the cockroach one.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ew, that is pretty gross!

A couple of years ago my nephews offered me some Harry Potter Jelly Bellies. One of them was vomit flavored. I did not realize this was meant literally until I tasted it. Blech.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSpectre:
A couple of years ago my nephews offered me some Harry Potter Jelly Bellies. One of them was vomit flavored. I did not realize this was meant literally until I tasted it. Blech.

Professor Dumbledore? I thought you were dead! [Eek!]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I sooooooo want those candy scabs for my son.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] ThistleSpectre!

When the Harry Potter Beans came out, DH wanted to try them so we got a handful of them out of a machine in an ice cream parlor. Our first few were uneventful until I hit a sardine flavored one. Blech! Dh thought I was joking and called me funny when I ate a grass flavored bean! All he got was fruits and other assorted normal flavors. He thought it was funny that I would even take the joke so far as to as to stop eating them.

Joke was on him as the last one he ate was vomit flavored! He spit that thing out so fast (good thing we were outside!) and apologized for laughing at me. 'Course, by then I couldn't hear him as I was bent over with laughter at his facial expressions when he realized what he tasted. [lol]

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the grass flavoured ones! Sardine is gross, but I haven't tried vomit yet. Bogie flavour isn't so bad, though.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I LOVE Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, purely for the fact that Jellie Bellie took a candy that was supposed to only be able to exist in a magical world, and made it for real. They did such an awesome job creating those, I really tip my hat to them.

Grass is quite tasty. I like to pair a grass bean with a dirt bean and make turf!

Buttered toast is hands-down my most favorite Jellie Bellie of all time though.

Sardine is quite rank though, much worse than real sardines actually.

I feel for the production staff who have to taste and retaste the beans until they get the gross flavors just right.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with pirateslife and Syllavus. I liked the grass flavored ones too. I was fortunate to never get a vomit flavored one. My SO is an emetophobe and made me taste several "suspect" colors to make sure they were not vomit flavor. That's how I managed to taste earwax, bleh.

Little "here, have a gray one" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the cockroaches aren't that bad. I'm partial to marzipan, so I might be just a bit biased.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ewww!!!

I thought the scabs, etc were nasty enough, but they just look nasty. I couldn't eat anything that tastes like earwax or dirt or boogers or vomit! [Eek!]

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
whoa..dude..I've heard of that type of thing..ack

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DS loves the Harry Potter candies. We found some 'Ice Mice' one time & you'd of thought he won the lottery. The Chocolate Toads were a hit too. Bertie Botts Beans are an old standard favorite. If you see a bowl of odd-looking jelly beans at our house, I suggest you not grab a handful & pop them in your mouth. I have to believe that several of the 'nasty' Bertie Botts flavors mixed together don't make a great combination.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
DS loves the Harry Potter candies. We found some 'Ice Mice' one time & you'd of thought he won the lottery. The Chocolate Toads were a hit too. Bertie Botts Beans are an old standard favorite. If you see a bowl of odd-looking jelly beans at our house, I suggest you not grab a handful & pop them in your mouth. I have to believe that several of the 'nasty' Bertie Botts flavors mixed together don't make a great combination.

Ice Mice are awesome. I wish they were easier to find.

I think every time I saw a HP film, there was at least one incident of "Here Mom/Dad/sibling, try this!" somewhere in the theater. I know my dad learned his lesson about Bertie Botts beans the first time around [Big Grin]

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I kinda like the ear wax ones....

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Confession: I love the taste of the dirt flavored Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans.

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also love the grass ones.

I often wonder just how they tested the vomit ones *shudder*

I don't really like Ice Mice, but for those that do if you have a Mr. Bulky's check there. The one in my local mall has them all the time.

The chocolate frogs are excellent!

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Borders and Waldenbooks carry the Harry Potter candies. And I think the Ice Mice are too cute to eat. But they are cool. I've got a box sitting on my desk at home.

I bought my niece a box of Bertie's beans. I think she and her brother spent more time trying to figure out which bean was what rather than eat them.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

What exactly are Ice Mice? Are they anything like those Ice Cube chocolates they sell at convenience stores? If so I must find some.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had the cockroach ones, they are pretty good, they also look pretty real.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was quite disappointed by the ice mice. I was expecting them to be like the mouse candy we see Ron take a bite out of in the beginning of the Philosopher's Stone film. Bright white, and chalky, like a mouse that's been frozen and kept on ice, and I was expecting them to be a strong cool peppermint flavor. Turns out they're raspberry flavored blue hard candy "ice cubes" with a wretched chalky bit of quite embryonic looking candy mouse "frozen" into it. Quite ghastly tasting I thought.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by poisoned candy from strangers:

I often wonder just how they tested the vomit ones *shudder*

Reportedly it was a failed attempt to make pepperoni pizza beans(!!), with some citric acid added in to better reproduce those subtle stomach juice nuances.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see. Ew.

ETA: Thanks for the info though! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say, thought, that the 'nice' flavors of Bertie Botts are excellent, better than many of the regular Jelly Belly flavors. The team that develops the flavors there does their job very well.

I think the sardine is the worst; worse than vomit. Grass is... well, grassy.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to agree about the sardine ones.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

I just remembered a combination I like. A grass flavored Bertie Botts and a regular Jelly Belly Dr. Pepper. I'm not sure what made me try that but it's yummy.

--------------------

Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
DS loves the Harry Potter candies. We found some 'Ice Mice' one time & you'd of thought he won the lottery.

I love the Ice Mice! I've been hoarding a few boxes every since I found them on sale at Border's (normally they are horribly overpriced.)
I don't really like most flavors of Jelly Bellies so I don't care for the Bertie Botts beans much, but I've bought a couple packages just for the fabric "Bertie Botts" sacks they come in. [Smile]

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages