snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Aerosmith and Motley Crue... yeeeahhh.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aerosmith and Motley Crue... yeeeahhh.
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back from the Aerosmith / Motley Crue concert in Raleigh.

The verdict: Crue was... well, so so. Not bad, but certainly not what I would expect from a chart-topping band. They played poorly and lazily.

Aerosmith, on the other hand, was FREAKING AWESOME/ One of the best live performances I've ever seen... tight band, and they really put their hearts into it.

Am exhausted now, but more to follow tomorrow, and maybe some pics. [Smile]

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DH and I have seen Aerosmith several times, and they have always put on a great show....If you catch them on the second leg of a tour they always play older stuff, and don't pimp whatever new crap they have as much.
I'm glad you had a great time.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So jealous - I wish they were coming over here.

As far as I can tell from the footage of performances I've seen the Crue's current problem is largely that Vince is totally unfit and out of shape, so running around a stage and singing at the same time is a bit beyond him these days. Mick has never moved much because of the spinal problems, but he is a pretty damn good guitarist who tends to get overlooked due to the OTT nature of the other three guys.

Was it mainly a problem with Vince and the singing or were they all a bit off? I'm still kicking myself for not going to see them on the Carnival of Sins tour and am hoping for a chance before they go too far downhill.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmirkDirk
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmirkDirk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this show in Charlotte a few weeks back. I was appalled by Motley Crue and how sloppy they were. I had actually been looking quite forward to them, but some of the songs were hardly recognizable. They definitely need to retire. We'll have to find a nice home for them somewhere. Aerosmith on the other hand, was just great. They even did Seasons of Wither here in Charlotte, which was unexpected since its not a very big hit. Did they do it in Raleigh too?
Posts: 44 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of ours saw them (worked narcotics security, actually) when they were here, and he was appalled by how juvenile the Crue were acting. He said it was like they were still living in 1984 and hadn't grown at all, and were just touring for the money as opposed to experiencing some growth as musicians.

He did say that Aerosmith was amazing, though.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
A friend of ours saw them (worked narcotics security, actually) when they were here, and he was appalled by how juvenile the Crue were acting. He said it was like they were still living in 1984 and hadn't grown at all, and were just touring for the money as opposed to experiencing some growth as musicians.

Sounds like my experience with David Lee Roth. He opened up for Bad Company when I was still living in PA (probably around 1998), and his show was grotesque. Bad Company was really good, however.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vince Neil has always been lazy in concert. I saw them for the first time about 15 years ago and he skipped words and whole lines of song and was all out of breath running around the stage. The Crue has never been great in concert.

Tommy's solos were always kind of fun, though. Do they still hang him upside down?

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen Aerosmith several times also, they are great. I've also had the misfortune to see the "Crud" back in the late 80s early 90s ? (lots of drugs then, my mind is somewhat of a blur) and I didnt care for them.

When Aerosmith/Crud were in Nashville last week, I could actually hear the concert from my house, I live about 4-5 miles as the crow flies from Starwood and have never heard anything before, but it was really cloudy and rainy so that had to done something to the accoustics. I dont know, it was weird.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom and sister went to see that show when they were up around Boston, the verdict was pretty much the same: Aerosmith = awesome, Motley Crue = meh.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What really impressed me about Aerosmith was that, while they did a few of their "crowd-pleasing radio favorites," they also did several less-well-known songs-- songs that are new to casual fans like me. I really enjoyed that... it was a lot more engaging that just a summary of the "Greatest Hits."

Additionally, they whipped out a couple ollllld-school blues standards--stuff from years and years back. I had no idea what a badass blues band they could be, if they really wanted to. Some of the younger fans were a bit put off by them stepping out their genre, but I was quite surprised and impressed.

We got a few pictures... they're not especially great, but they're better than nothing.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
plus, desert Rat, you can look super-smug when you sing along to those songs, and the teeny-boppers are completely lost.

You do own Honkin' on Bobo, right?? That's one worth having.

Did Joe sing any at your show?

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying to remember who it was...a friend of mine was a roadie for some venue somewhere and the report back on Aerosmith was that they were really cool and nice and not at all arrogant divajerks.

I'm jealous, my arena concert days are sort of behind me...I LOVE Aerosmith. They are one of the greats.

(now that's going to bug me, trying to remember...must go take some ginko biloba, I guess...

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages