snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Would you live in a "murder house"? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Would you live in a "murder house"?
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:
Building off of what Victoria said about the degree of grisliness being an issue:

How much of a difference would knowing the details make? Say you were given the Alfred-Hitchcock-trailer-of-Psycho tour of the place? "This is the very shower stall where she was stabbed fourteen times!" or "On this staircase she beat his head in with a baseball bat!" or "Here is the small room in the basement where he imprisoned the girl for six months, slowly starving her to death! You could store your winter linens in it!"

I have to admit that I'm a little surprised at the number of people who say they wouldn't think twice about it unless there were tourists camping out on the lawn. My expectation was that a sense of "taintedness" would linger for most people, even if it didn't have paranormal connotations. That, in a way, you would be regularly haunted by your own imagined memory of what happened here "in this very room!" if not by actual ghosts.

But I can certainly see how if you only knew that someone had been killed but didn't know the specfics, then you might be able to make the idea of the murder abstract for yourself and put it out of your mind. But if it's a story that you know and your rooms are setting, well...

--Logoboros

It doesn't have to be a murder to color your perception of a place. One of my brothers died of complications of diabetes and sleep apnea in my family's mountain cabin, and because he had no phone service was not discovered until we were told he hadn't shown up at work and we called the police to go check. My other brother took it upon himself to take out the mattress afterwards - I know it affected him strongly and wish he had someone professional do it, but he didn't.

None of us had returned to the cabin for a long while after, but since the death of my mother my remaining brother has decided he will fix the place back up as his share of the inheritance. I went to the place with him and sis-in-law a month ago to check out the state of things, and felt very melancholy there. I do agree we should keep the cabin in the family as it is in a beautiful setting and we have plenty of happy memories, but I think that any visits will always be tinged with sadness for me.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chalk me up as another who probably wouldn't move into a murder house, due to "overactive imagination". I don't particularly believe in ghosts, but if I knew a murder had occured in my house, I don't think I would be able to stop myself from thinking about it, picturing the crime scene, imaging where the corpse lay and what it looked like, etc. Even worse would be if it were a well-known murder that I could google for information. I'd get no sleep.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 402 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdraculafly:
Actually our realtor did mention one to us when we were looking - it was a suicide house, not a murder house, though, I don't know which would be worse.

About 24 years ago, my family's then (somewhat reclusive) next door neighbor went outside one cloudy day, sat up against a tree, and blew his brains out. When the house was cleaned up (it was packed with papers, etc) and put on the market, the realtor asked my parents to lie about what happened and got mad when my mother told her in so many words that she would not lie.
The house was bought, but before moving in, the new owner, a man of Thai descent, had a Buddist monk come over and purify the house (or whatever he did). This consisted of circling the house shaking something and (I guess) saying some phrase or other. None of us had the heart to tell the man that the monk missed the tree the former had sat up against.
The neighbor still lives in the house BTW.
Would hubby and I buy a house like that? Why not?

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 402 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I've ever been in anywhere that has been "haunted" or had a history of murder, death, etc....

But I can add that when a good friend of mine was buying his first house he almost bought a house that a man committed suicide in and then decided against it (for obvious reasons).

ETA: I doubt that I would move into a house where a murder/suicide had taken place.... I do somewhat believe in ghosts, etc. and I think my mind would be playing tricks on me!

When we first moved into my house about 3 years ago, a friend of mine used to tell me about the little boy that drowned in the river at the end of my street haunting people. For the first few months I was pretty nervous at night!

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a teenager, my brother Joe committed suicide in the house. I was moved into his bedroom; it was freaky at first, but enough time passed that it didn't bother me any more. I think we all just had a tremendous need to move on.

Joe had always had a thing for Linda, a girl next door, and had written her a farewell note. Years later when my mother died, Linda bought the house. And the weirdness of this did not hit me until I read this post - I had forgotten about his creepy note to her until now. Obviously Linda moved on, too.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was just watching the wretched remake of The Amityville Horror and this set me wondering about the stigma attached to the sites of murders or other horrors.

My question: would you buy or live in a house in which you knew people had been murdered (especially if it's a great bargain)?

Given that most people (especially on this site -- or so recent topics would indicate) don't really believe in ghosts, one would expect that there's not much of a reason why the answer should be no. Is there another reason to justify the sense of hesitation or discomfort or general ickiness that the idea of a "murder house" seems to inspire even in the non-superstitious?

--Logoboros

Stephen King once pointed out that the original movie worked well on the level that the house was forcing this couple into financial ruin -- that this was the true horror.

I suppose that's the level where it would concern me. Beyond the squick of knowing someone came to a bad end in my house, this is a major investment. I mean, even if you could resell the house, could you morally bring yourself to do so? (On the presumption the house went all Amity.)

In (hopefully not related)other news, one of my dogs is freaked out by my new house. Perhaps he's pretending in order to get treats, but I don't think so -- he doesn't have a poker tail or ears. [Wink]

ETA: This reminds me that I took a tour on St. Paul recently, and the tour guide said that Forepaugh's Restaurant was haunted by a ghost of a chambermaid who killed herself in the 1800s. Legend has it that Mr. Forebaugh got her pregnant, and then broke off the relationship, so she hung herself outside the window -- possibly to bring shame to the family. Anyhow, people who work there claim weird occurences, and the occasional sighting. (As an added noted, Forepaugh also committed suicide later on, but in a different home.)

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
About 15 years ago a serial killer brutally murdered 5 college students here in Gainesville. The case has gotten a lot of press recently because the killer is set to be executed in the next week or so.

The murders occurred in three different apartment complexes here in town. The most high-profile one completely shut down in 2004 and is currently being used as a law enforcement training site. Those buildings are being torn down to make way for new housing. In another complex, one of the apartments in which a girl was murdered was rented for a while, but the owners had trouble renting it after that, so they turned it into the "model" apartment they use for showing to new residents. I don't know about the third apartment. I do know that one of the places changed names due to bad publicity.

For me it would depend on several factors. Would I want to live in a "murder house"? No. But if I really loved the house and/or location, I probably wouldn't care. When I move into a new place I do a "cleansing" with sage incense in which I symbolicly get rid of any memories or residue of previous residents. Even though I know I'm not actually doing anything, it helps clear my mind and helps me really think of the place as "all mine".

I've been in rooms where people have recently died (like old people who died in their beds) and although the room was uncomfortable for me to be in for a few days, I got over it.

I wouldn't want to live in a high profile place that would attract lots of sightseers. If the occasional person pulled into the drive or took a photo from the street I'd probably be able to live with that.

A "suicide house" would not bother me because I understand the mind of a suicidal person and have been there myself.

Knowing gruesome details of a murder might not deter me from living in a place. I've no idea what's happened in my apartment before I lived here. Someone could have been raped or tortured as far as I know (although it wouldn't have been a high profile case). I'd be more bothered imagining all the icky sexual things that have probably occurred here over the years. It's another reason I do both the symbolic and actual Lysol cleansing once I move in.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Earlier in this thread I said it would be an unpleasant association (in my case knowing the victim) that would put me off a house with a history of murder in it rather than any scare about the ghost of a murder victim. I am, however, very sensitive to how a place feels irrespective of it's history.

The house I live in now originates from around 1650 so I dare say all manner of deaths have happened here. It's situated beside a fairly recently discovered iron age burial site too so plenty of opportunity for spookiness but I've never felt anything but comfortable and secure here.

By way of contrast the last house I lived in was built in 1972 on the site of a farmyard. It has no history of untoward events associated with it but I was forever getting spooked there. The place never had a good feeling about it and I often slept with the light on all night. It was a happy day for me when I handed over the keys.

Some people are very uncomfortable about houses with an association with death. My neighbours discovered a tunnel leading to a crypt during recent renovations and freaked. They had it cement filled before the week was out which I think is a bit of a shame. I would have been fascinated by that and at least have let the local archaeology group take a gander at it first.
Tragic waste of a potentially excellent wine cellar if you ask me.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have no problem living in a murder house, unless:

The killer was never caught, and vowed to kill everyone that moves in.

Everyone that has ever lived in the house was murdered.

The body is still there.

It's next to the prison where the murderer is housed.

I do know, that in the last house I lived in, whoever it was that wallpapered the kitchen should have been murdered in the house.

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[complete hijack]
quote:
Originally posted by ChelleGame:
he doesn't have a poker tail or ears.

That is SO sweet it made me go AWW aloud.

I am slightly embarrassed about that - but I still thought you should know.

[/hijack]

Victoria J

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Victoria. You'd really "awww" if you saw the little ham. [Smile]

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I lived in a house where a murder took place, and yes it was haunted so I dont see any reason why I couldnt do it again.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a related note, would you live in a house that was next door to a cemetary? I've asked a few people this, and they were squicked out at the idea. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it- quiet neighbors! [lol]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I rent a house (upstairs apartment) that I'm told there was a murder in, in the 30s. Never verified it... someone at my Nana's funeral brought it up. Uncle didn't want me to know, because, even though he knew I wouldn't care, he thought Mom would freak out.

Mom has always talked about getting the creeps in the house, even before they told her that, but then she thinks the house is gonna sink in the ground with the rest of the town. The upstairs is really falling apart... can't wait to move soon.

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
On a related note, would you live in a house that was next door to a cemetary? I've asked a few people this, and they were squicked out at the idea. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it- quiet neighbors! [lol]

As my dear departed Dad would say. You have nothing to fear from the dead. It's the living you have to worry about.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live in a suicide house (which wasn't disclosed when we bought it, since the previous owners had gone bankrupt and the bank had seized it) and I've never had any sort of supernatural experiences despite having spent the night in same room as the suicide (an add-on flat) many times.

So I'd have to say that unless it had a history of haunting I would have no qualms about buying a murder house. Not because I believe in ghosts, but because I know I would creep myself out over the slightest noise, and because I have a bit of a fear of nightmares which I'm sure it would induce.

Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Exactly. The older the cemetery, the more I enjoy it because it has character.

Have you seen the commercial where the couple's cheap hotel room turns out to be cheap because it's located next to a cemetery? They immediately pack up their bags and search for a better hotel with a more scenic view. (The ad is for an online hotel finder.) I keep wondering why it would be so bad to stay at a place overlooking a cemetery. At least it would be quiet! (Which I think was the selling point of the fictional hotel in the commercial.)

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A knew a family who lived across the street from a cemetery. They lived on a corner and the view from 3/4s of the windows was the vast cemetery. It never bothered them. They had an amazing backyard- it was a double lot in Los Angeles with a cool hill at the back of the property. Us kids would stand on top of the hill and jump, trying to catch the wheels of planes departing from LAX so we could travel the world. In my childish mind that was the coolest house in the world.

I was surprised to learn later that it took them over a year to sell the house. Even with the rare gigantic backyard, spacious house, quiet neighborhood and incredibly low price, no one wanted to live across the street from the cemetery.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My husband vetoed a house that was across the street from a cemetary. The house had a well, and he was concerned about seepage. Thinking back on it though, I think the house was uphill from the graveyard.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, yes I would, especially if the house went for well below market value as a result of the taboo. Mooommmeee's Grandfather bought a "murder" dumptruck a while back (one used to transport a bloodied corpse after a murder.) He simply parked it in a garage and hung onto it long enough for everyone to forget about the case and resold it for a pretty hefty profit after a year or so.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also wouldn't have a problem living across the street from a cemetery. Hell, growing up where I did? I lived within walking distance of a rather large cemetery, and several of my friends lived close to cemeteries.

It wasn't a big deal to us. We used to wander around and read headstones, because it was interesting. Heck, we used to look for our distant relatives!

It's not the dead who bother me. The living are annoying, though, as in the people who would be constantly, constantly, CONSTANTLY asking, "Doesn't it BOTHER you, to live so CLOSE to a CEMETERY?"

Hell, we live down the street from the local cemetery now. Doesn't seem to have any effect on our house and whether or not it's haunted!

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:

Exactly. The older the cemetery, the more I enjoy it because it has character.

Have you seen the commercial where the couple's cheap hotel room turns out to be cheap because it's located next to a cemetery? They immediately pack up their bags and search for a better hotel with a more scenic view. (The ad is for an online hotel finder.) I keep wondering why it would be so bad to stay at a place overlooking a cemetery. At least it would be quiet! (Which I think was the selling point of the fictional hotel in the commercial.)

I love walking around in old old cemetaries and seeing what the old gravestones say! [Smile]

And, yes, I've seen that commercial, which is what brought my question to mind. I mentioned it to hubby and commented, "I don't see what the big deal is." Hubby said he thought that the two men in the cemetary grinning creepily at the couple would freak him out, but not the cemetary itself.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I probably wouldn't but I can't totally promise. I don't believe in ghosts but I don't not believe in ghosts so I don't want to tempt fate!
A simple death OTOH, would probably be OK. If an 85YO man died in his sleep & that's why the wife is selling the house, that would probably be OK.
AFA creepy houses, I graduated H.S. with the local funeral directors son & the funeral home was a part of the family house. That use to creep me out a bit when I was little but apparently neither he or his siblings had a problem with it. I believe there was a pretty good locked door between the 'family' part & the 'funeral' part so it was unlikely the kids would accidentally walk into a room & see a dead body or something.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Building off of what Victoria said about the degree of grisliness being an issue:

How much of a difference would knowing the details make? Say you were given the Alfred-Hitchcock-trailer-of-Psycho tour of the place? "This is the very shower stall where she was stabbed fourteen times!" or "On this staircase she beat his head in with a baseball bat!" or "Here is the small room in the basement where he imprisoned the girl for six months, slowly starving her to death! You could store your winter linens in it!"

It wouldn't make any difference to me whatsoever. Things like that just don't bother me.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a cemetery would bother me more than a murder house. I'm oddly gifted in my ability to suddenly develop a complete lack of imagination in most cases of "Think about that! Isn't it awful?", but cemeteries -- like the upper floors of the university library -- always strike me as oppressively quiet. Like if you made any noise it wouldn't so much break the quiet as hang unpleasantly in the air and make the quiet glare disapprovingly at you. I'd feel like I wasn't allowed to let loose and live a little (no pun intended) if I was in sight of one at all times.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Danvers Carew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danvers Carew         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Living next to a graveyard wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I've always liked graveyards, especially really old ones - they're so peaceful and serene.

I wouldn't like to live next to a crematorium, mind you. You'd feel really tasteless having a barbecue on summer days when there were a few bookings next door. Mourners would be confused about the smell of your sizzling pork chops. It could lead to unpleasantness.

I don't think I'd buy a house where a murder had been committed because I'd be worried about getting possessed by the malevolent spirit that persuaded the last occupant to become a rampaging murderer. Or the ghost of the murdered coming back to exact revenge on the nearest living person. Or just showing up with a torn-up face and bloody hands to spook me. My imagination would run riot and I'd never get a wink of sleep.

--------------------
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Posts: 2372 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 604 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind cemeteries at all either. There is a very tiny family one in the woods behind the house where my mother lived - so old you can't read the inscriptions on the gravestones. I always wondered who the people were.

The [URL=Rose Hill Cemetery]Rose Hill Cemetery[/URL] in Macon, Ga is a beautiful and fascinating place to visit if you like old cemeteries. It has quite a few Civil War gravesites as well as a couple of the Allman brothers buried there, and a lot of local urban legends have sprung up about the cemetery - vampires, witch covens and lightning striking and breaking a large obelisk into 3 pieces, to name a few I've heard.

I recall a gravestone fashioned as an open book. The wife's side was inscripted when I saw it but the husband apparently was still alive at the time. I thought it was a really cool headstone.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly enough, although I don't think I'd want to live in a murder house, living near a cemetary wouldn't bother me at all, and in fact, I think I'd find it interesting. Probably because people don't typically meet violent deaths in a cemetary, a cemetary is just a place for the dead to rest. I love the history to be found in cemetaries. Cemetaries to me are peaceful, a house where someone was murdered isn't peaceful at all.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gordon Fan
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gordon Fan   E-mail Gordon Fan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The house I recently, I bought from my brother-in-law. It was his mother's house and she died in the house. It was never determined if she fell down the stairs or was pushed down the stairs. There's nothing strange going on in my house.

My brother-in-law's father died quite a few years ago and he used to work at a resort about a mile from my house. His ghost has been seen there when my brother-in-law's mother passed away.

Posts: 13 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phaedra:
My neighbours discovered a tunnel leading to a crypt during recent renovations and freaked. They had it cement filled before the week was out which I think is a bit of a shame. I would have been fascinated by that and at least have let the local archaeology group take a gander at it first.
Tragic waste of a potentially excellent wine cellar if you ask me.

Oh that makes me so sad. I would love to have a house with a weird feature like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Ms. K:
I also wouldn't have a problem living across the street from a cemetery. Hell, growing up where I did? I lived within walking distance of a rather large cemetery, and several of my friends lived close to cemeteries.

Did you grow up in Colma by any chance?

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom lives directly in between a school on one side and a cemetary on the other, she likes the quiet neighbots a lot better. It's a newer cemetary though with cookie cutter grave markers and cookie cutter flowers etc. No character at all.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't buy a murder house. I believe somewhat in ghosts, and more in "bad vibes." I don't know how to define that term, but the pit of my stomach and back of my neck know it when they feel it!

The other problem I'd have with it is that not all murderers are sent away for life. I sure as hell would not want to be living in a murder house when the murderer got out and wanted to check out his old stomping grounds.

ETA clarity, I hope.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FireSpook
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FireSpook   E-mail FireSpook   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But of course!

--------------------
WARNING
The message above may have statements that only make sense in this user's mind.

Read at your own risk.

Posts: 667 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms. Kringle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Kringle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ThistleS, no, I grew up in Madisonville, KY.

Now, I live in Wildomar, CA, just down the street from the Wildomar Cemetery.

And yet, oddly enough, the dead STILL don't bother me, just the living! [lol]

--------------------
Beware corporate zombies! They will purchase your brain on E-Bay!

Posts: 2310 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeowulfGirl
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeowulfGirl   E-mail BeowulfGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell, I get freaked out in my own house if I'm all alone in it, and it's not even a murder house! I always think that the ice-maker's noises are zombies coming to get me from the kitchen.

I obviously read too much Stephen King.

--------------------
Please visit my blog and leave a comment! It's all pretty and pink and quite funny. Go here: http://beowulfgirl.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1790 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages