snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Snow (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Snow
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would just like to announce that the first snow of the season hit Buffalo today. It rolled in around 1:30 this afternoon, and I was pretty sure, like most years, it wouldn't stick. It never does, the ground is too always warm when the first snow falls.

And yet, here it is, still coming down. I got out of class at 4:15, and it was thicker than it had been when I went in at 3. And, there was snow on the ground.

Who wants pictures?

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I want snow, where is my snow. Me and snow have some very fond memories.

Ok so I don't want a bunch of snow but still a little bit of it goes a long ways.

E* I want pics*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Breedle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breedle   E-mail Breedle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same thing here in Minnesota, I was sure it wasn't going to stick, but it is. Mine seems to be letting up though.
Posts: 31 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I want pics! It's 70 degrees F here right now, but was 33 on my poarch yesterday morning.

I doubt we'll get any good snow if any at all this year... [Frown] Pics please!?!

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No pics, please! It will be here soon enough.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm taking my son up to Frankfort to visit his godfather next weekend...I know it's quite a bit further south than Buffalo, but I can hope for snow anyway, right? [Smile]

OT: We're also going to Cooperstown! I haven't been to the Baseball Hall of Fame since I was 12. I can't wait...I can't wait...I can't wait...I can't wait...I can't wait...I can't wait...I can't wait!!!

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amethyst Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amethyst Dragon   E-mail Amethyst Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigone201:
I would just like to announce that the first snow of the season hit Buffalo today. It rolled in around 1:30 this afternoon, and I was pretty sure, like most years, it wouldn't stick. It never does, the ground is too always warm when the first snow falls.

And yet, here it is, still coming down. I got out of class at 4:15, and it was thicker than it had been when I went in at 3. And, there was snow on the ground.

Who wants pictures?

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!! you keep that nasty white stuff out there, do NOT send it east. I will gladly give the Golden Snowball back to you or Rochester. Sadly, we're supposed to get that 4-letter-word this weekend.

Amethyst "wants to hibernate" Dragon

ETF typo

Posts: 255 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just about to post pix, but my boss just called and something came up for work.

I'll be back later!

--------------------

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not believe in snow.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*clicks heals while chanting the following*

There's no such thing as snow.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had flurries, but nothing that stuck.

Correction: I just looked out the window - we have flurries.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
elfbunny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elfbunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wanna see the pics!! I actually sorta kinda miss the snow. I miss playing in it but not shoveling it. Oh wait, let me reprase the last part. I don't miss my hubby complaining about shoveling it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://my.tupperware.com/ajd325

Posts: 78 | From: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nooooooo! I'm trying to go for a personal record: no turning on the furnace until November. I'm nearly there, you know. Only 20 more days. C'mon Global Warming, come through for me now!

The forecast says snow tonight, but I can't hear them...LaLa-LaLa-LaLa-LaLa-LA!

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jinxie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jinxie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cam & Spookies-boo:

I don't either. We southerners want a cite.

--------------------
Go Jimmie Go! This is your year!

Posts: 676 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Snow is rare, but has fallen in Florida

-

That's Jacksonville (from a page linked to in the above URL).

Florida Snowstorm, 1989. Snow on a palm leaf!

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never seen snow. Well, I've seen it far away on mountaintops, but never actual snow.

I wouldn't mind you guys sending some cooler air down this way, though. It's 88 outside and my A/C just kicked on. Sucks.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh* I have a feeling that it will never snow again here where I live. The last real snow was about 4 years ago.

I know people from snow country who consider snow a four letter word, but, I like a little snow sometimes and frankly I get all grouchy and out of sorts when it's warm and sticky and in the 70's for Christmas. It makes all the songs irrelevant and silly. White Christmas, inDEED. *snort*

Really, send it here, we'd love some. Especially since we're in such a bad drought.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
It's 88 outside and my A/C just kicked on. Sucks.

Wanna swap?

It's not snowing up here (we're not in a snowbelt area), but it's bloody cold today. Hovering a few degrees above freezing, and with a brisk wind to boot.

Why, oh why, haven't I moved to the Canary Islands yet?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I was all excited because it was below 80 degrees today & there was a bit of a nice breeze.
I'm with snapdragonfly, I'd really like to see snow again at some point. All we get is ice which brings out the stupid drivers. I've love a good snowman snow.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The offer to swap weather applies to you too, Morgaine.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Come the beginning of Jan. we really need about a foot of snow. It insulates and keeps it warmer. A snowless Jan. and Feb are extremely frigid.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snow is one of those 4-letter words that is best left unspoken in polite conversation...

Purple -- Yes, I know where I live! [flame] -- Iguana

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
quote:

Snow is rare, but has fallen in FloridaThat's Jacksonville (from a page linked to in the above URL).

[URL=http://home.earthlink.net/~divegeeked/florida.htm]Florida Snowstorm
, 1989. Snow on a palm leaf!

Ha! I remember that! I was all of 10 years old, and that shut the city down completely. Jax is bridge heavy (there's at least seven major ones spanning the St. Johns, which is a really wide river). We were still living in the trailer park, on the outskirts (at the time) of Jax and lost power. trailers in FL get COLD without heat. We ended up going to my aunt, who had an actual house with a fireplace. She lived closer to the city center, about 10 miles away. it took an hour to get there. It was, truly, surreal, but a blast for a ten year old who'd never seen snow.

We got our first snow here early in the morning, Oct. 10th this year. Normally, it doesn't come until Halloween. However, it's now back up in the sixties. Sigh. Winter, wherefor art though. I love you!

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got our first frost/snow today, too!
I actually missed most of it because the heaviest flurries happened this morning.
Last night I heard there was a frost warning so I picked all the tomatoes in the garden that weren't tiny, and the lone cantelope that had appeared in my strawberry garden. (luckily the cantelope was ripe when I picked it!)

I don't know if it snowed last night, if it did it was very late because I was out walking the dogs at midnight and there was no snow yet. Today it apparently snowed a lot this morning, I just saw some very light flurries in the afternoon. It mostly melted as it hit the ground, though.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
Snow is one of those 4-letter words that is best left unspoken in polite conversation...

As far as I'm concerned, snow is an even dirtier four-letter word than Bush.

--------------------

FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted a pic over in the unhijackable thread today.

My back deck around 945ish AM. Then the sun went away and ten minutes later, it looked like this.

I'll post the video link of it actually snowing, but I'm not sure it'll work- so here goes...

Video link. If this doesn't work, as soon as its done "processing" at MySpace, I'll post the link to it there. And yes, I do actually say "crikey". Forgive me, my Aussie friends.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No snow here. Yesterday it was 73 degrees F, right now it is 44, and tomorrow it's supposed to be 70 again. Snow is fun for about a day. Maybe more if you aren't snowed in with your family. Last time it snowed here I missed DH (then fiance) so much that I walked 2 miles to see him because the roads were too icy and I'd never get down my driveway safely in my car.

One time, about 2 years ago, it started out an unusually warm December day-- the temperature was in the upper 60s. By lunch rain was falling and so was the temperature. By nightfall the roads were ice, and snow covered my car. I had to kick the ice off of my trunk so I could get in my car and crawl through the emergency escape hatch in the backseat. I could not open the door because it had frozen shut. What a crazy day.

ETA: To make more sense than I did.
Also, it usually snows once a year here, but sometimes we skip a few years.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I don't check the SLC often enough. [Embarrassed]

Anyway, Here's my horrible, nasty, three-hanky salute to foul evil weather.

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Weren't you guys having a heat wave like 6 weeks ago? Make up your minds! [Razz]
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to mention, I'm about a two hour drive from Chicago, about an hour and a half from Milwaukee, so we don't get that "lake-effect snow"... that's the real thing there!

And yes, a few weeks ago, I had my AC on for the heat and humidity.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snow in Iowa and Wisconsin today, too. I know, cause my boss and I drove three hours through it and back. Whoopee!

As usual, there were a ton of accidents with the first snowfall.

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
quote:

Snow is rare, but has fallen in Florida

-

That's Jacksonville (from a page linked to in the above URL).

Florida Snowstorm, 1989. Snow on a palm leaf!

Yes, yes. I remember that year. There was some cold white stuff on my car, and the road got so slippery that they shut down the bridge. The local liberal media called it snow. [Roll Eyes] Like flakes of ice could fall from the sky.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No snow here yet but thought I would let us remember some interesting facts. I really don't want another winter like this!~! Pittsburgh got 25 inches of snow in one day. [Eek!] [Eek!]

Does anyone remember the blizzard of "93"

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I'm back!

Here's some pics of my area:

My back yard around 5:30

The parking lot of my neighborhood 5 minutes later

Trees weighed down by the snow

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pretty snow!

Better Buffalo than Nashville! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages