snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » For the Brits: Origami Fortune Teller Thingies Question (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: For the Brits: Origami Fortune Teller Thingies Question
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most British schoolkids (certainly of my generation) have made these, but no-one knows what they are called. I'm talking about the origami "fortune telling" thingies you make from squares of paper. Fold the 4 corners to the centre, then flip the paper over and fold the corners in again, then make it into a 3D object and put fingers into the 4 pockets. You mark numbers on the pockets and flaps. The subject picks numbers and the person operating the thingy opens and closes the it (it opens 2 different ways and you alternate) to expose different flaps and ends up lifting the appropriately numbered flap to get a fortune ("You smell" or "you want to kiss so-and-so in class 3B").

If no-one beats me to it and I remember, I'll make one tonight and get a photo. I know that if you keep on flipping the paper and making more folds into the centre you end up with a chrysanthemum sculpture.

What are they called?!!! Do they even have a name apart from "fortune teller"? This was bugging a whole lot of us on Saturday night when I made some out of cardboard fliers while sat in a pub/music club.

ETA: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/origami/fortuneteller/ just calls them an Origami Fortune Teller, so maybe they don't have a name?

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We made these all the time when I was a kid. I was one of the few girls in class who couldn't master the proper folding technique to get them done right. I never knew they had a name. We always called them "those flippy things"...

Frog-one, two, three, four, now pick a color-Feathers

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always knew them as fortune-tellers.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cinnamon
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cinnamon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cinnamon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fortune teller was about it as far as I remember. Not much use I know but I just read the OP and realised I still remember how to make these things. Must have beeb at least 18 years since I last tried it.

--------------------
My blog - a continuing obsession with my weight plus much randomness
My opinions on books, music, and other stuff

Posts: 845 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always just knew them as fortune tellers too. I made so many of those over the years.

I actually saw a kid playing with one in a bus stop last week, was the first time I'd seen one or thought about one in years, so it's quite odd to see the subject come up here too so soon afterwards.

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had them here, also called fortune tellers. The weird thing is I was in WalMart recently and I saw one there but it was electronic (foldy look and all). I thought it was pretty insane that society had "progressed" to that.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frog_Feathers:
We made these all the time when I was a kid. I was one of the few girls in class who couldn't master the proper folding technique to get them done right. I never knew they had a name. We always called them "those flippy things"...

Frog-one, two, three, four, now pick a color-Feathers

I took a long while to learn how to do the folding, but practice evidently paid off as I can still make them 30 years after I last made one at school! I can also operate them one-handed on either hand (or on both hands at once).

I hadn't seen them for years either. I was at a club Saturday night and someone else made sculptures out of advertising fliers, so I folded a fortune teller. A couple of us then spent ages trying to flip them one-handed.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We called them Origami candy dishes. If you open them up and stand them with the four folded points down, it made 4 bowls, for 4 different kinds of candies.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DD has made them and calls them fortune tellers.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I made one this morning from the instructions in the link.

I've been annoying my kids and husband for the last twenty minutes. "Pick a color! Pick a color!"

As if they didn't assume insanity on my part.

--------------------
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey! I've just made my first one in about forty years. And it works. Yippee.

In Liverpool in the 60s we called them 'Salt and Peppers'. I think it was because, as an alternative to putting colours on the outer flaps, you could put 'Salt', 'Mustard', 'Vinegar', 'Pepper'. Colours were easier as you could use your colouring pencils to draw coloured blobs.

The game began when a person chose a colour (or condiment). You spelt out that colour/condiment as you flipped the 'Salt and pepper'. The person then chose one of the numbers revealed. You counted up to that number as you flipped it again. Then they chose another number and you revealed their fortune or 'fact'.

We used to put such things as, 'You love Amy' or 'You like sprouts'. Sometimes we even wrote really horrible things such as 'You will die tonight' or - even worse - 'You support Everton'.

Sometimes we used them for forfeits in a game - such as 'Sing a nursery rhyme', 'Tell a joke' or 'Kiss the next girl on your left'.

Ah, happy days. Thanks for bringing back playground memories. 'Salt and Peppers'? I wonder if children still make them.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

My kids say they still have them around school.

And my 13 year old daughter stole mine and is taking it to school today. [lol]

--------------------

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But what did you write under the flaps?

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
csel's in 2nd Grade
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csel's in 2nd Grade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a copy of a Halloween themed fortune teller that I got from Crayola's teacher site (I think - I'll have to look). I'm planning on using it with my second graders this year. I think it is called a fortune teller there, too.

--------------------
"What is sin? I think sin is failure to grow."
-Lauren Slater, "Prozac Diary"

Posts: 172 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bizarrely I made one of these only yesterday! I can't have made one for at least ten years before that.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst í hringi
Höldumst í hendur
Allur heimurinn óskýr
Nema þú stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
But what did you write under the flaps?

Just basic answers- "yes", "no", "ask again", "run like hell", "cheer up little emo kid", "ask a real psychic", and "answer not clear" or something. I can't recall them all.

My daughter asked if she'd pass her test today and the answer that came up was "run like hell". She didn't take that as a good sign.

--------------------

Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I am going to make a really, really nice one for the important person in my life as he spent ages playing with the 2 I made Saturday evening [Smile] Maybe I will put his avatars and nicknames on the 4 outer sections.

Just spokn to a chap here who is 50-ish. He knows them as salt-and-peppers and they had salt-pepper-vinegar-mustard on. I think ours had colours (4 house teams) or seasons on. Oooh - a though has struck me (ouch [fish] ) I think we need a Harry Potter one with the 4 Hogwarts Houses on and suitable fortunes or spells inside! Who is conversant enough with Potter-lore to design one? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We called them "whinkeydiddles." Of course, we called houses "moofgogs," cars "pookabaters," and the Pope "Mr. Voovarelli."

Brad "we were kids with too much time on our hongataks" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

They wouldn't be whinkeydiddles here. Winkie means penis and diddle refers to sex in either solo or duet mode depending on context ("I diddled myself", "he diddled her").

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the proper origami term for those was lotus flowers, but I could be wrong. I loved making those things in high school, especially small ones out of starburst wrappers for the pretty colors.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just saw a South Park episode last week that had the boys infiltrate the girl's slumber party (Butters dressed up as the new girl "Marjorine") to steal the "dangerous device". It was, as usual, quite hilarious. I love SP. [Big Grin]

ETA: Here's a link to the wiki page on this episode.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember something about "cootie catchers" . But maybe that was on an episode of "Arthur".
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 214 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dear Babby:
I seem to remember something about "cootie catchers" . But maybe that was on an episode of "Arthur".

That's the alternative name on the page Llewtrah linked to in the first post. They're not called that in the UK, though, because cooties aren't native to these shores (I believe some may have been introduced here by US servicemen during WWII, but they were wiped out in lurgy epidemic in the late 50s).

Veeble (Wahey! We got the beany back!) Fetzer

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers

quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
They wouldn't be whinkeydiddles here. Winkie means penis and diddle refers to sex in either solo or duet mode depending on context ("I diddled myself", "he diddled her").

That's what it means to me too- as in "Captain Winkie and the twins". I always figured "diddle" was a solo act, but now... I'll stop now before I head off to the gutter.

My daughter called from school (during lunch) to ask me to print up the directions on how to make these. Apparently, she has friends who don't know how.

ETA: these as in the fortune tellers, not diddling... just had to clarify.

--------------------

Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by Frog_Feathers:
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:

That's what it means to me too- as in "Captain Winkie and the twins". I always figured "diddle" was a solo act, but now... I'll stop now before I head off to the gutter.
In one of the historical Carry On films, a tart says "if you've been diddled as often as I have". Used for the solo act, it generally refers to the female version. Used for the duet, a male diddles a female.

I haven't made a fortune teller tonight, but I will be making one and the diddling discussion has made me think of putting my partner's avatars/nicknames on there and the fortunes will refer to sexual things - it sounds like a silly way to have some adult fun! [Big Grin]

I still think the world needs a Harry Potter origami fortune teller .....

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid we called them Cootie Catchers. I don't know why.

kitoBOO

---------

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This has been bugging me all day. I made a lot of them as a child but I cannot for the life of me remember what we called them. It definitely wasn't fortune tellers that much I do remember.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We made them like crazy in elementary school too (NE Ohio)... but I can't remember what we called them either!!! Maybe we did call them fortune tellers, but we never used them to actually answer a question.. we just put little sayings in them like "You love Jeff [the smelly boy]" and other stupid things [Smile]

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
underfire and overrated
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for underfire and overrated     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We called them fortune tellers or cootie catchers. Never did understand what thay had to do with cooties, though.

--------------------
I'm not a beautiful and unique snowflake! I am the all-singing all-dancing crap of the world.

Posts: 111 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nightfall
The First USA Noel

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Nightfall   E-mail Nightfall   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One origami book that I've seen called them something to the effect of "Salt Holder." Unfortunately, I've seem to have forgotten the exact name, but I do remember that it refered to a container for salt. The picture that they showed of a completed model was of one these holding salt.

However, when I was in elementry school and made these, I'm pretty sure that we simply called them fortune tellers or something to that affect.

--------------------
Darkness comes where Nightfall goes. -- from The Legend of Nightfall

Posts: 791 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just remembered that I had a book of projects when I was a kid, and they called these things "critter catchers" and had a picture of a spider with one of these things hovering over it. I thought even then that it was a stupid use for them, since they'd just crush whatever it was you were trying to catch with them.

As for "cootie catcher", I thought that cooties were things we tried not to catch. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dieter Meyer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dieter Meyer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're known as spå over here - the verb å spå means 'to predict the future', so why not just call it a 'future-predicter'? [Razz]

--------------------
"Soyons désinvoltes; n'ayons l'air de rien" - Noir Désir

Posts: 255 | From: Norvegr | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the rare occasion someone gave it a name at my school, it was called a cootie catcher. We never used them to answer questions though; under the flaps were written things like "you smell", "you love Jason" and "you are cool".

My take on a logical history for the name cootie catcher: Boys have cooties. If the flap you pick proclaims you like a boy, you've caught his cooties. [Razz]

Either that, or they were called cootie catchers because they looked like mouths that bite, i.e. can catch things.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We called them fortune tellers or cootie catchers too. We used them in a similar fashion to the game MASH where we would divine our future spouses and living arrangements.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSpectre:
We called them fortune tellers or cootie catchers too. We used them in a similar fashion to the game MASH where we would divine our future spouses and living arrangements.

Oh yeah, MASH! I remember that one...Mansion, Apartment, Shack, or House.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages