snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » personal signs the seasons are changing (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: personal signs the seasons are changing
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a covered walkway that wraps around the front of the office building where I work. During the summer they take the windows out so that it's open air. Yesterday I came in to find them putting the windows back up. That really made me realize that summer is over and the colder months are coming. Likewise, this past spring the day they took them out really told me it was spring finally.

What odd, esoteric things remind you of the seasons changing?

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It gets darker alot faster.. Used to be that it was still "dusk" when I got out of fire class, now its pitch black.

That and it used to be when I got up in the morning to walk my dog it was a plesent temperature, I could probobly do it naked if it weren't for those pesky laws [Smile] But now its pretty chilly, fortunatly I have a very warm bathrobe.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to put the lights on this morning when I got up for work, and I have an overwhelming craving for spuds.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm comfortable in my car again. It's Florida and summer is hot and my car has no AC and not-very-good air circulation. Getting home in the afternoon without my shirt soaked with sweat tells me that summer's dying. (which is good because my hot car gets twice the gas mileage of the one that has AC)

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live on an island in the middle of a swamp at the edge of a lake. We are now in what I like to call "fog season," when it is terribly foggy on the island every single morning. Get off the island, no fog.
Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the fall, the mix of car tags you see around town changes from mostly southern states to more northern and Canadian ones.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually now have to warm up my car in the mornings.

Also, we have stopped using the grill, and are now back to the oven.

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our cat has taken to sitting on top of the boiler for extra warmth.

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My inks in the workshop need a minimum of 11ºC to work properly. Heat on for the first time in 5 months earlier this week.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have switched from my silk robe to my fleece one, and added slippers.

Our bedroom windows are closed.

I don't have to open the kitchen windows when I cook.

My "winter crate" with chains, shovel, blankets, etc. has replaced my "summer crate" with sunscreen, folding chair, bugspray in the car.

The lawn doesn't need mowing every 3 days, and the garden doesn't need picking every day.

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, this is the 4th year of being so grateful that the mornings are darker, because my daughter tends to wake when the sun hits her window, despite black-out blinds, lined curtains and a sleeping bag tucked over the lot.

7:45am this morning. Bliss, after a summer of being woken at 5am and trying to coax a couple more hours of sleep out of her...

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Chihuahua shakes more... I'm kidding, this is our first cold season with her. [Wink]

We don't have any trees in our yard, yet we get fallen leaves blown in. But across the street, when I see the first change in color- that's the tip-off for me that its a-changin'.

My favorite sign, we don't get here- Termination Dust. I miss it so.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My fall allegies kick in. I haven't been able to breathe out of both nostrils at the same time since Sunday.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Football. When I hear that first crunch of pads, the first gentle *PLUNK* of foot hitting ball for a field goal, then it is FALL! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I realize I have to plug in the towel warmer in the morning.

My skin instantaneously dries out. I woke up Sunday morning and overnight, my fingers were so dried out they were cracking. They'd been fine the day before. That surprised me, usually my thighs dry out first (don't ask me why).

My arthritis begins creeping up on me more (cold gets me in the winter, rain in the summer).

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The partying calms down. There's no longer a need to go out every weekend, unlike in, say, June or July.

Fewer and fewer patio nights.

Walking underground to work, as opposed to on the streets.

The end of the farmer's market at Toronto City Hall.

Okay, this is getting depressing. Is it April yet?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DakotaPride
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotaPride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Instead of running for the door in the morning, my dogs snuggle deeper into their dog beds.
It's dark by the time I do my last round of chores, and I can hear the coyotes howling close by, which makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. Too many werewolf movies as a child I guess.

Posts: 212 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The real depressing part is when its dark when you go to work, and dark when you get off of work [Smile]

I work nights now, so its not so releveant for me anymore, but its one of the parts I hated most about late fall/winter months when I had normal hours.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
quote:
The real depressing part is when its dark when you go to work, and dark when you get off of work [Smile]

I work nights now, so its not so releveant for me anymore, but its one of the parts I hated most about late fall/winter months when I had normal hours.

Do you hate the beginning of Daylight Savings Time the way I do? It's finally light out in the morning, and then when you change the clocks, it's dark again.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
quote:
DD and I leave the house at 7 am and don't get home until 6 pm. Ugh.

My mother hates dark days, too. She once told me that if she wasn't a Christian, she might have become a sun worshipper.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tempest:
Do you hate the beginning of Daylight Savings Time the way I do? It's finally light out in the morning, and then when you change the clocks, it's dark again.

I don't mind the autumn one. Without it In the winter it would get dark at 3PM here. But I hate "springing forward."

I picked the last of our apples yesterday. But I can still go barefoot to get the mail, and the grape leaves are still green. I'm not willing to resign myself to winter yet!

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took my thin cotton sheets off my bed, and put the flannel ones on.

I put my short terry robe away and put the long fleece one in the bathroom.

I bought apple cider.

I bought spicy fall scented candles, and lit them.

I started wearing my brown shoes.

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, in Memphis, the sign of fall is that the temperature drops down between the 60s and upper 80s (Fahrenheit). Yesterday it was 84 and today it is going to be a high of 66! And there is almost no heat index! The mosquitoes begin to die. DIE MOSQUITOES, DIE!!! Patio nights finally begin! Pumpkins appear in the supermarkets! The Fair is in town!

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I am sad [Frown] Oh so sad [Frown] Hey I still have flowers blooming!~! [Smile] Yes flowers but not for long! [Frown] I guess fall is here. I just picked all the pumpkins I planted they came real nice, got around 20 out of 4 plants. I wish it could stay around 60 degrees all winter long.

The garden is almost all cleaned off and flowers are almost all finished blooming yep it is that time of year. We have been canning and freezing things as they come along, the garden was great to us this year. [Smile]

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are lovely fallen leaves for me to shuffle through and kick up into the air. Oh, and I generally have a very odd compulsion to buy school supplies, even if I'm not in school. [Confused]

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We also replaced the sheets with flannel ones...as soon as I wash our flannel comforter we'll be all set for chilly nights.

Most of the windows in our apartment are closed.

My sandals have been banished to the closet instead of being stored handily by the door. And I've been wearing socks.

Mr. P has started wearing pants to work.

Our porch kitty is putting on weight.

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The fair is coming! I've never been to the Dallas one, but the fair always means fall. It messed with my mind that the rodeo in Houston was in February, because fairs are supposed to be in the fall. Although February in Houston feels about like the fall, anyway.

It went from 3 digit temperatures to low 60s in the morning and high 70s in the afternoon. And the sun rises right in front of me just as I get near work (hopefully I won't run off the road, driving is difficult when you're blind)

The local high school had their homecoming parade last weekend, right past my house.

And I can switch from chocolate milk to cocoa for an evening treat.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Author's Homepage   E-mail SirKnight-Protector of Lady Visa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My first sign is more problems with my Vertigo. My ears have been bothering me for a week. *le sigh* I have no insurance so I can't go see a Dr. and get something to clear up the fluid.

--------------------
You have the Right to Remain Silent. Anything you say CAN and WILL be twisted around, taken out of Context and used against you.

All we need is love and beer. Old school metal and some holiday cheer to be happy.

Posts: 711 | From: Bowling Green, KY/ WKU | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In NYC it's all olfactory. Now it's starting to smell like cold concrete, which is actually a pretty distinctive smell. Soon it will smell a little bit fireplacey, but I don't know if it's actual fireplaces or the subway- you just can't tell in Brooklyn.

Being cold under being sweaty is a good indicator, too.

Tights and boots are all over, and I've started wearing my knee-high ones again, and I don't look stupid. I can also rock stronger makeup.

Finally, comfortably wearing hoodies at night again, yay! I love them, and I hate not being able to wear them in the summer. Almost any top is improved by a hood.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tempest:

I don't mind the autumn one. Without it In the winter it would get dark at 3PM here. But I hate "springing forward."
But, but, when you "fall back," it gets dark earlier, not later. So, say, it's getting dark at 5 pm, and you change the clocks back an hour, then it's getting dark at 4 pm.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is causing a little cognitive dissonance for me. It's still 85 degrees outside. I can't even imagine putting on a snuggly bathrobe yet.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's getting a lot harder to cook dinner on the grill. All summer we've spent our evenings in the back yard cooking on the grill as much as possible. Now we can't do that without bringing a flashlight out and/or having the fire going.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 401 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
But, but, when you "fall back," it gets dark earlier, not later. So, say, it's getting dark at 5 pm, and you change the clocks back an hour, then it's getting dark at 4 pm.

D'oh!

[lol]

I don't even know how to explain that. I really don't.

ETA-By the way, that was very gentle of you. Thanks. [Wink]

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have several very old, very large oak trees in the back yard. The acorns are beginning their annual raining onto my house. It goes like this...

"BONK"

"ROLL ROLL ROLL ROLLLLLL"

"BONK BONK BONK" (ONTO THE DECK)

It starts out slowly- one at a time and increases as the weather cools. It is enough to drive a person insane.

I have also begun my annual cleaning out the garage. Fall unlimited pickup is next week.

The signs for the local haunted houses are up.

I am just getting over Strep Throat.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All the windows in my house get opened up in the cooler weather as I've turned off my AC and wait till there's icicles on everyone's noses before I turn on the heat. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages