snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » What skill(s) would you like to acquire? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What skill(s) would you like to acquire?
Toad Buddy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toad Buddy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would really like to learn how to:
~ spin & weave
~ weld
~ speak French & Mandarin
~ use my serger to it's fullest potential
~ make oodles of cash sewing

~Toad Buddy

Posts: 122 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by callee:
I'd like to learn:

10) how to shoot a gun. I've never even held a real one.

If you ever make it to the southern U.S. (or if I ever make it to Canada) I'm your man!

I'm ranked as a master level shooter in several disciplines.

Robbie -just had to point that out- V

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Callie Cat
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Callie Cat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
I would really like to learn Newfie.

I'm offering lessons [Wink] Or you could just stop the next 5 people you pass on the street, in Alberta one or two of them is bound to be a Newfie.

Callie.

Posts: 1304 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Virulaceous
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virulaceous   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's so much that I would love to learn! I think that I can pare the list down though.

- Learn just about any language
- Play piano and guitar
- Train my horse to cart
- Figure out how to knit better
- Tat lace

Toad Buddy, spinning is an awesome thing to learn. That's actually what I do for a living, make yarn and other things. It's easy to learn too, if you just start out with a drop spindle.

--------------------
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Posts: 86 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Virulaceous:
It's easy to learn too, if you just start out with a drop spindle.

I spent maybe 20 minutes--okay, a smidge more*--on a drop spindle before switching to a wheel.

I find spinning with a wheel much easier than spinning with a spindle. I guess I'm weird.

Seaboe

*I guess it could've been as long as three hours.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to be fluent in both written and spoken Spanish.

I would like to be able to sing.

Currently I am such a poor singer that I cannot even sing the happy birthday song without embarassment. I am considering taking lessons.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to learn how to write grants that are GUARANTEED to get me money.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
I thought people liked guitar so much because it is fairly easy to learn. Compared to say, the oboe or what have you.

[lol] I played the oboe for 5 years. I picked up the basic skills in a matter of weeks. Guitar, on the other hand...I started a year ago, and can't play more than maybe 3 chords and some scales. Granted, I haven't been attempting it as consistently as I should be, but I think that's because I get so frustrated at my lack of ability to learn the damn thing.

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I just got myself a nice plasma welder, I'd like to be really good at welding. Hopefully, given time and a mountain of scrap metal, it might even happen.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Toad Buddy:
~ spin & weave

Years ago my little daughter asked me to make up a bedtime story for her. This is it:

Once upon a time, a beautiful queen was spinning beside an open window. She got dizzy and fell out and broke her neck.

I think it warped my daughter permanently....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to:
Learn Japanese, Irish, and Spanish.

Learn to use a lathe.

Learn the Highland Sword Dance.

My short term goal is to improve my piping to where I am on a full set of pipes by November and to play with my band in the next Saint Patrick's Day parade. I would also like to advance to a point where I can compete in thr '07 New Hampshire Highland Games.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DemonWolf- I invited you down for my town's Highland Festival, remember? It's October 14, if you're still interested. Bring DemonWolfWife and DemonPup too!

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't go. Too far. [Frown]

NH is only an hour's drive for me.

Thank you for the offer, though.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought of more.

*learn to play double-bass drums. I can play single-bass just fine.

*Add me to the yodeling list.

*Learn accounting.

*Learn clockmaking.

*Be able to make my own clothing.

*Paint. Pictures, that is. I can paint houses and walls just fine.

*Learn to draw things other than people.

*Learn to draw people that don't look like they've come out of comic books. Though most of them HAVE.

*Learn self-publishing so I could DO something with these offbeat stories of mine other than collect rejection slips.

*Sing solo.

Lady "so many burning ambitions I worry I'll burn right out" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toad Buddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toad Buddy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
quote:
Originally posted by Toad Buddy:
~ spin & weave

Years ago my little daughter asked me to make up a bedtime story for her. This is it:

Once upon a time, a beautiful queen was spinning beside an open window. She got dizzy and fell out and broke her neck.

I think it warped my daughter permanently....

Sometimes I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box....I must have read that at least three times before I actually got it! [fish] Good one!
~Toad Buddy

Posts: 122 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Learn to play guitar. I play keys and percussion and drums and whatnot, but not guitar. I bought I nice one thinking that if I spent hard-earned cash, I'd take it seriously but alas, I have not found the time or discipline and will probably just sell the dang thing before too long.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 103 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon:
*learn to play double-bass drums. I can play single-bass just fine.

I'll try saying it gently. Double bass pedals freaking suck!

Very much a religious single bass pedaler here. Fast double beats can be achieved with practice just as fast double can be achieved in the hands with practice and technique. Double bass pedals are really only useful for that horrid Trivum style beating the life out of a bass drum sound, and come on, Cradle of Filth use that! However, I do wish you the best with that. [Wink]

Realistic
Learn Spanish
Get jazz rhythms really down
Learn how to play something other than Iron Maiden covers on the piano
Buy a kayak and become good at it

More doubtful
Learn Arabic
Learn any crazy percussions lying around (bongos, bodhran etc.)
Develop a six-pack
Become funny

Highly doubtful
Get over an intense fear of team sports
Learn to love people

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loony
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loony   E-mail Loony   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Learn french and lucky me I just started classes through work yesterday !

Plus many more things some sort of self defense/martial art, belly dancing, how to play a musical instrument perhaps the fiddle, carpentry, time managment and how to not procrastinate but I'll leave that at the end of the list for now. [Wink]

--------------------
Avoid scattering your energies - advice from a fortune cookie.

Posts: 253 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loony
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loony   E-mail Loony   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
I would really like to learn Newfie.

'is easy sure all you gotta do is drop the H's ever so often and pick 'em up elsewheres.

Loike dis me old trout it falls off of yer 'ead and lands on yer h'arm.

Of course that would all depend on whether you want's to be from up the shore or from around one of the bays. Up the shore is more Irish where as around the bays you can get some pretty interesting dialects for sure.

[Wink] [Big Grin]

Or you could try listening to these guys....

--------------------
Avoid scattering your energies - advice from a fortune cookie.

Posts: 253 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Virulaceous
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virulaceous   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by Virulaceous:
It's easy to learn too, if you just start out with a drop spindle.

I spent maybe 20 minutes--okay, a smidge more*--on a drop spindle before switching to a wheel.

I find spinning with a wheel much easier than spinning with a spindle. I guess I'm weird.

Seaboe

*I guess it could've been as long as three hours.

Not weird at all [Smile] . I would go crazy without a wheel, especially when spinning huge quantities of yarn. Drop spindles are just a good starting point for many people.

--------------------
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Posts: 86 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seasonal petrelgirl
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seasonal petrelgirl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, a lot of people want to speak Spanish.

I want to be able to speak, read, and write in any foreign language in as close to a native proficiency as I can get. I just want one language like that.

Then learn a few (2 or 3) more to a far-more-than-just-"Where's the bathroom"and-understand-the-response-fluency.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that wants to know Japanese. Others I want, and I'm not sure where each will fall on my language proficiency goals, are Spanish (I'll teach myself) and German for certain, then maybe something else. (Preferably not in those language groups)

And to I think Lady Moon. Japanese AND Chinese AND Arabic... woah... those are three of the hardest languages to learn from the view of an English Speaking country.

I wish you best of luck.

Non-Language: I want to get better at the flute and be able to find someplace with fingering charts higher than the third G of the C Flute. Then be able to actually play that high.

I also want to be able to turn the moon into green cheese and mess with time-space travellers heads, but I don't think I'll ever be able to do either.

-Storm Petrelgirl

--------------------
"I suggest we decide through a knife battle" "But you're the only one of us that carries a knife." "Correction, [I carry] four."

Posts: 64 | From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Archie2K -- thanks for your input on double bass pedals! I'll very much keep that in mind! I think I'll stick with being a single-bass player for now. We're trying to get together an all-female Who tribute band, is why I want to learn the double bass -- but then again, Who's Next drums single-bass and sounds just the same.

Something to think about, definitely. [Big Grin]

Storm Petrelgirl -- Japanese and Chinese and Arabic are long-term goals. Things I WANT to do but need a competent teacher. I have one for Greek and Hebrew, but at the moment neither of us have the time for the intensive study required.

So, I'm learning French instead. Princess Moon #1 is taking it this year and she's teaching me as she learns it.

Lady "linguist?" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't do double-pedal bass drums, either. The loss of the hi-hat is too much for me to cope with. Plus, a single pedal can be made to bounce in such a way as to emulate the double-bass sound if absolutely necessary.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
I would like to:
Learn Japanese, Irish, and Spanish.

B'fheidir go mbeadh mé in ann cuidiú a thabhairt duit leis an Gaeilge?

(Maybe I could help you with the Irish)

My Irish is rusted almost useless after over 6 years of not using it, but maybe we could do something like a new word/phrase every week by PM and see if that oils my brain...

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FuzzDuckie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzDuckie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm

- to draw reasonably well...especially freehand on the computer- problem is my lack of creativity...I stink in trying to VISUALLY create anything. Written I'm good at... any wonder why my web page is lacking [Razz]

- Basic Japanese and Chinese so I can play some of those Point and Click Games more easily!! (Spanish, German & French (Anode & Cathode games are French)are also desireable)...reading is all I want...speaking I probably would fail at lol

- Play the drums and/or trumpet.

- play Darts better. Thinking about getting a dard board for the apartment once I have enough money...

- Do MUCH better in ANY computer programming language I've learned so far so I can get a better job.

- Cooking...even basic cooking...I'm so unimaginative and lazy [Razz]
As for the unrealistic...learn to transport myself instantly so I can visit all over the world lol.

--------------------
Clever Waste of Time Invasion IV
An unique Riddle adventure.
PM me for more info. I'm on Brain Candy.
Purple Hell- Riddle Tools

Posts: 1551 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages