snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » I have that! I have those exact symptoms!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have that! I have those exact symptoms!
skrap
Minnow Way Out

Icon 16 posted      Profile for skrap   E-mail skrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Old Jeff Foxworthy joke- he and his wife are watching a medical show on TV. She says I have that, I have those exact symptoms. He says Baby you don't have testicular cancer, you don't have testiculars.

I have chronic fatigue syndrome.

Unrefresing sleep-check, I'm just as tired when I wake up as when I go to bed.

Muscle pain-check, every muscle in my body is stiff like I have been working hard but has been this way for over a year.

Joint pain-check, both knees, both ankles and is starting in my left elbow and neck.

Pain in lymph nodes-check, in my right armpit. Do you have lymph nodes on the side of the neck? If so, on the left side of my neck.

Legs feel like logs-check, some days I can barely walk.

The only symptom listed that I don't have is a chronic sore throat.

From what I read on Webmd there is not a lot I can do. Anyone have any suggestions?
skrap
etc spelling

--------------------
The Quiet One

Posts: 928 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vfwchick
Deck the Malls with Boughs of Money

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vfwchick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like my Boss's symptoms, she has fibromyalgia and gets a shot from the Dr when it gets bad. It seems to help her. You may want to check that too.
Hope you feel better soon...{{{{vibes for you}}}}

--------------------
God bless our Troops!
If you can't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 380 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, there are lymph nodes in the side of your neck. They're what swell up when you get the mumps.

Haven't got any advice, sorry.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
vfwchick- some people may say that fibromyalgia is also somewhat psychosomatic, since it is completely unknown what causes is, and the pain can come in various manifestations. I'm sure that if I hadn't told a new doctor about my knee surgeries, or my uneven legs (thereby making my hips uneven), and started mentioning that I get pains in my knees, and hips, and sometimes through my thigh when my knee AND hip hurt, and he couldn't find any of the usual problems (arthritis, as an example), it could be diagnosed as fibromyalgia. Once they discover the different causes for different kinds of pains in the body that are currently listed as fibromyalgia, there will no longer be a need for the term at all.

*/end Devil's Advocate

Lymph node pain and muscle pain could be related to some kind of other illness you have, which is causing you to be fatigued. And I don't know about you, but when I'm overly fatigued, my legs sure as hell feel heavy!

Without being a doctor, and without being there to get a better idea of your symptoms, no one can diagnose you with any form of ailment. If you're genuinely concerned, seek a professional's- not a Snopesenal's, opinion.

I hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Plague of Nonny:

I do: enough with the self-diagnosis!

If you're concerned, get to a doctor. They're qualified to make these pronouncements. We're not.

And I speak as someone who has diagnosed himself with everything from cancer to HIV infection. That's how I know to stop it.

(For the record, I am in good shape. So obviously I wasn't a very good doctor.)

Hope you're feeling better.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What Canuk said. The best thing to do is to go see a doctor with a list of the symptoms you've been experiencing, and in the case of the joint problems when you've been experiencing them and how long you have them for. (As an example my joint problems are worse when I first get up or if I haven't been moving that joint for a while, and get better after I've gotten a chance to get things losened up. Those are the sort of things the doctor will want to know.)

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a weather girl:
vfwchick- some people may say that fibromyalgia is also somewhat psychosomatic, since it is completely unknown what causes is, and the pain can come in various manifestations. I'm sure that if I hadn't told a new doctor about my knee surgeries, or my uneven legs (thereby making my hips uneven), and started mentioning that I get pains in my knees, and hips, and sometimes through my thigh when my knee AND hip hurt, and he couldn't find any of the usual problems (arthritis, as an example), it could be diagnosed as fibromyalgia. Once they discover the different causes for different kinds of pains in the body that are currently listed as fibromyalgia, there will no longer be a need for the term at all.

*/end Devil's Advocate

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. There is more than just hurting involved in the diagnosis. You must exhibit widespread pain in all four quadrants and pain upon pressure at 11 of 18 specific points. They aren't points that would normally hurt, in fact one is in the place that people pat you on the shoulder, and believe me when they do it hurts like hell. The list of symptoms are just that, symptoms that may accompany the syndrome, not a diagnostic criteria.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vfwchick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vfwchick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Skrap, do you have an update for us? I've been worried...

--------------------
God bless our Troops!
If you can't stand behind our troops, please, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 380 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skrap
Minnow Way Out

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skrap   E-mail skrap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I didn't mean to worry anyone. I talked to my doc and he wants me to come in for a wellness check. Breast exam, gyn, blood work, that sort of stuff. All I have to do is figure out a day when I don't work, don't have to drive for an hour to get somewhere to do something for some one else and have a couple of hours to do something for me. Since I'm usually the only who drives in my house, I'm the only one that does all the errands. My husband has had a failed back surgery and driving will put him in so much pain that he can barely walk. I don't let my mother drive at all. She would kill herself and probably take somebody with her. I'll figure it out.
skrap

--------------------
The Quiet One

Posts: 928 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vfwchick

skrap, that is a lot for one person. Please say no to someone and take of you. It's just for a few hours and if you don't then who will take care of them if you can't? Let me know what happens.

--------------------
God bless our Troops!

AdmiralDinty
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AdmiralDinty   E-mail AdmiralDinty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The symptoms you describe could be anything. Chronic fatigue is usually the answer they give when all other diagnoses have been ruled out. I definitely have to agree with everyone who said to avoid self-diagnosis. It really does more harm than good, both physically and psycologically. How long have you been experiencing this problem?

--------------------
"I wanna bite the hand that feeds me. I wanna bite that hand so badly. I wanna make them wish they'd never seen me." - Elvis Costello

Posts: 2291 | From: The Banks of the Merrimack, MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Be sure that your "blood work" includes a thyroid function test, and that your doctor is aware of the revised diagnostic standards for hypothyroidism -- it's now considered appropriate to treat people who a few years ago would have been left untreated.

Your symptoms could be caused by many things, and you're absolutely right to see your doctor and to keep an open mind. I mention hypothyroidism only because it's something with which I have personal experience.

Good luck. Listen to your doctor. Please take good care of yourself and get some help. I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Originally posted by A Plague of Nonny:

I do: enough with the self-diagnosis!

If you're concerned, get to a doctor. They're qualified to make these pronouncements. We're not.

And I speak as someone who has diagnosed himself with everything from cancer to HIV infection. That's how I know to stop it.

(For the record, I am in good shape. So obviously I wasn't a very good doctor.)

Hope you're feeling better.

As long as you don't decide that you are pregnant everything will be ok. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages