snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » You learn something new every day... (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: You learn something new every day...
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that springing a mouse trap with a piece of chalk can create a very impressive mess.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned a lot today...

- the use of the term "Jaws of Life" exposes you as a newbie; the correct term appears to be "Spreaders" (I then proceeded to find out what "Jaws of Life" are)
- I can climb through a car window if I want to
- how to turn on an ambulance's siren
- one trip with an emergency helicopter costs $9000
- accident drills are fun

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhea:
I learned a lot today...

- the use of the term "Jaws of Life" exposes you as a newbie; the correct term appears to be "Spreaders" (I then proceeded to find out what "Jaws of Life" are)

You had me worried until I got to the last one. [Eek!]

Now I'm just jealous. [Wink]

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that if the picture you use for your computer wallpaper doesn't extend all the way to the borders, when you exit a software package, the photo portion of the desktop is restored first, followed by the blank space (or was it the other way)?

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Today I learned two new US/UK word differences: What we call rutabaga is called swede, or yellow squash, in the UK; and what we call zucchini is called courgette.

So what do they call the thing that we call yellow squash? Rutabagas look more like turnips than squash, anyway. Now I'm just confused...

ETRemove an errant apostrophe.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
quote:
Today I learned two new US/UK word differences: What we call rutabaga is called swede, or yellow squash, in the UK; and what we call zucchini is called courgette.

So what do they call the thing that we call yellow squash? Rutabaga's look more like turnips than squash, anyway. Now I'm just confused...
Rutabaga is not a squash, and is not referred to as a yellow squash It's a root vegetable. I would call it a swede or a turnip.

A squash is referred to a XYZ name squash.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that red squirrels, during particularly harsh winters, will sometimes gnaw into the trunks of trees and eat the sap when they're short of food.

Julia Kitten told me that this morning -- she's been watching Animal Planet recently. She was very excited to have taught Mommy something new!

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
quote:

So what do they call the thing that we call yellow squash? Rutabaga's look more like turnips than squash, anyway. Now I'm just confused...
Rutabaga is not a squash, and is not referred to as a yellow squash It's a root vegetable. I would call it a swede or a turnip.

A squash is referred to a XYZ name squash.

The confusion is all my fault: I typed "yellow squash" when I meant "yellow turnip."

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that a chupchik is a little mark used in Hebrew to indicate a sound that is not originally part of that language - it's added to a letter with a "t" sound, for instance, to make a "th" sound (which does not occur in Hebrew).

Actually, I knew that the mark existed, but I never knew what it was called.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The confusion is all my fault: I typed "yellow squash" when I meant "yellow turnip."

I can certainly see that, it does look like a yellow turnip, after all. But rutabaga is much more fun to say. [Smile]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
I learned that red squirrels, during particularly harsh winters, will sometimes gnaw into the trunks of trees and eat the sap when they're short of food.

Julia Kitten told me that this morning -- she's been watching Animal Planet recently. She was very excited to have taught Mommy something new!

You tell her that's why Senator McCarthy had it in for the reds.

Barbara "it was a sap thing" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:

You tell her that's why Senator McCarthy had it in for the reds.

Barbara "it was a sap thing" Mikkelson

Absolutely not! She's only 5! I'm still sheltering her from many of the harsh realities of life, such as sales taxes, Fred Phelps, and McCarthyism.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drizzly Quigley:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhea:
I learned a lot today...

You had me worried until I got to the last one. [Eek!]

Now I'm just jealous. [Wink]

It was great! [Smile]

I got to ride the ambulance, sirens and flashing lights etc. (I couldn't drive it because of the insurance, but we scared the hell out of the football team and that alone is so worth it.)

We got to wreck cars and rescue people, one of which had a kilo of cocaine stashed in his trunk, and fled from the scene (so that Campus Security could join in, too. They didn't catch him until he stopped on his own. A lot of people lost faith in our Campus Security yesterday. [Wink] )

And the helicopter people are a nice bunch, although, despite all our hints, they didn't take us for a ride (might have something to do with those 9000 dollars.)

But as I learned today, sometimes you pull a muscle if you do stuff like that. Youch.

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I learned that an osteopaths in the UK, unlike osteopaths in the US, are not fully qualified physicians.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dieter Meyer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dieter Meyer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that the national anthem of the South Pacific island nation of Vanuato bears the title "Yumi, Yumi, Yumi". [lol]

--------------------
"Soyons désinvoltes; n'ayons l'air de rien" - Noir Désir

Posts: 255 | From: Norvegr | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Breedle
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breedle   E-mail Breedle   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that not all parts of the United States use or know what the word stoked is. As in, "I am really stoked to go see the movie with you" My friend from Arizona told me she never heard it before she moved up here.
Posts: 31 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that if your kid hides your book with a leaking sippy cup full of milk, you can iron each page individually to dry it up quickly with minimal wrinkling. Note I said "minimal" and not "no". But at least I saved the book!

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that the Koran is chanted to a trope similar to chanting the Torah. I forget what it's called, but it has a specific name.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that condensation is a WARMING process (it took me a good hour of re-reading a single paragraph to finally get WHY)

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey is a weather girl:
I learned that condensation is a WARMING process (it took me a good hour of re-reading a single paragraph to finally get WHY)

Chemistry class?

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:
quote:

Chemistry class?
Physical science. Mix physics, chemistry, geology, and astronomy (is that it?) into 16 weeks, and that's my class.

Edit: as hard as I tried to keep in mind that it's astroNOMY, my fingers still spelled astroLOGY.

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i have learnt that if one of my team at work is on holidays, it's inevitable the other person will be sick in that time leaving me alone. And i have learnt doing the work of at least two people is ot fun either.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAnnino:
I learned that the Koran is chanted to a trope similar to chanting the Torah. I forget what it's called, but it has a specific name.

Christian liturgies were originally chanted the same way as Jewish, although there has been varying amounts of change in the last 2000 years in various places.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Physical science. Mix physics, chemistry, geology, and astrology (is that it?) into 16 weeks, and that's my class.

I do hope it is astronomy ...

[Smile]

Don "Leo - the constellation, not the sign" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Thank you...I was working on half-power...I'll edit

--------------------

I learned that there are three forms of Usher Syndrome, that each develop differently, and that there is a particular gene that makes up a large percentage of Usher Syndrome 1 in the Ashkenazi Jewish population.

--------------------

Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've discovered I find an average of 3 cents a day in the parking lots of my apartment complex. Some days I find only pennies; today I found 45 cents. It may not seem like a lot, but collecting an average of 3 cents a day gives me an extra $11 at the end of the year, enough to buy a nice meal or several used paperbacks. [Smile]

I also just found out (in another thread) that until recently, a lot of snopesters thought pineapples grow on trees! This seems really silly to me, but I sometimes forget I was raised in a land of tropical fruit, where pineapples grow easily in sunny areas with dry soils.

Fun fact for the day: Pineapples and Spanish moss are members of the bromiliad family.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A co-worker of mine told a story to me, today, that I had thought smacked of urbanlegendesqueness. But, thanks to Barbara, I've learned that his story mostly checks out: A large percentage of U.S. currency does bear traces of cocaine. Huh. Thanks again, Barbara.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned that whoever runs the US Copyright Office website has a sense of humor:

quote:
How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?
Copyright law does not protect sightings. However, copyright law will protect your photo (or other depiction) of your sighting of Elvis. Just send it to us with a Form VA application and the filing fee. No one can lawfully use your photo of your sighting, although someone else may file his own photo of his sighting. Copyright law protects the original photograph, not the subject of the photograph.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
I learned that whoever runs the US Copyright Office website has a sense of humor:

quote:
How do I protect my sighting of Elvis?
Copyright law does not protect sightings. However, copyright law will protect your photo (or other depiction) of your sighting of Elvis. Just send it to us with a Form VA application and the filing fee. No one can lawfully use your photo of your sighting, although someone else may file his own photo of his sighting. Copyright law protects the original photograph, not the subject of the photograph.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Priceless! I shall remember this fondly the next time I am rereading for the 10th time some dry government document!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So does the U.S. Post Office:

How to Pack a Hippo

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SeabooMuffinchucker:
So does the U.S. Post Office:

How to Pack a Hippo

Seaboe

That is so Airplane-esque! [lol]

--------------------
--

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
quote:
Originally posted by DAnnino:

Christian liturgies were originally chanted the same way as Jewish, although there has been varying amounts of change in the last 2000 years in various places.
Now I can add your piece of information to my pile.

--------------------
--

LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned you can't get dead mouse smell out of students' papers. It's best to correct and record in the open air, then dispose of the stinky ones. Also its best to be honest with your students about what happened to their work (they thought it was hilariously gross, but that's junior high for you).

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have learned that people think it's really clever when i toast my sandwich at work in the al foil i wrapped it in. No people this is just me being incredibly lazy and not wanting to clean the damn thing after i've used it.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages