snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Pregnancy, Adoptions & Parenting round 2 (Page 31)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31   
Author Topic: Pregnancy, Adoptions & Parenting round 2
Gnat
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnat   E-mail Gnat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Thanks so much, Algae...that's really helpful. That carrier looks great! It's a little expensive, but I think it will likely be worth it in the long run, especially since it can be used for so long. That book looks really good, too...do you suppose it's applicable to Canadian purchasing, or does it mostly refer to items/stores available only in the U.S.?
Posts: 35 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I have a Snugli carrier which was 20 or 25 dollars for the basic model. There are fanicer ones which can get really expensive like a Baby Bjorn. I like it okay though I've only used it a few times.

I'm a big fan of the sling. I have 4. There's a commercial one call NoJo which was good when Little-Aud was little. It was $25 or 30 at babie-r-us. The sling I use most was made by my friend so I'm not sure what it cost but it was probably less than $10.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gnat
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnat   E-mail Gnat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hmm..that Snugli one looks good, too, and pretty affordable. I don't want to spend too much (this baby was unplanned, so money is tight), but want to make sure it's a good one because I think I'll use it often. I was unable to find the NoJo sling that you mentioned there in a search of both the American and Canadian sites of Babies-R-Us...how do the slings work?
Posts: 35 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I sew slings for gifts and for sale. The cheapest I can make a sling is $15- that does not include labor. Just the sling rings cost about $5 a pair including shipping. The fabric ranges from $10 for a sturdy but inexpensive linen, to $15 for Solarveil (my favorite, it has SPF protection and is very breathable), and on up. Sturdy fabric and quality rings are a must to ensure baby's safety.

You may have underestimated the value of the sling your friend made you, Aud! [Smile]

Gnat- Do you sew? I can provide links to making your own sling. Compared to $40 and up for a custom-made sling, making your own is still a great bargain.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gnat
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Starla, that would be awesome. I can't sew to save my life, but my mom is great at it, and I'm sure would be happy to do it if I got the materials. Thank you...I appreciate your help & suggestions so much.
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Gnat, congrats! And if you have any questions that you might feel to shy about posting, feel free to PM me. I don't gross out and I'm great for keeping my mouth shut. [Smile] There are lots of different carriers... there's the Snugli, which carries up front, slings which can be used for front/side/back, backpacks, which logically go on the back. Hope your little dude/dudette isn't like my boys. They rejected all hands-free carriers and only wanted mommy's arms. There's something lovely about that... but try to make my shoulders believe it! [Smile]

ETA: posted before I saw there was a page 31, and I got totally spanked.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
NoJo Sling
http://www.amazon.com/Original-NoJo-Sling-Dr%252e-Black/dp/B000096L4F
It cost more than I remember.

Buy a sling from Starla.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gnat
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Thanks, Purple Iguana...I'll keep that in mind. I seem to have new questions every day, so I may just take you up on that! And thanks, Aud, for the link...I couldn't really picture before what a baby sling would look like.
Arrow-Tech IV
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arrow-Tech IV   E-mail Arrow-Tech IV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
PI -- awesome pictures of Saleh & Khaled! They're such cute little boys.
Posts: 955 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arrow-Tech IV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arrow-Tech IV   E-mail Arrow-Tech IV   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'll add that the Solarveil sling Starla made me is awesome! I have both it and a Baby Bjorn that we received as a gift recently, and I like them both.
Posts: 955 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The best ring sling sewing instructions ever. Not only is her pattern awesome and easy to follow, but she provides great links to where to buy rings, how to choose a safe fabric, where to find good fabric prices online, and lots of baby wearing information. I suggest this pattern for linens and other heavier fabrics or if you have very narrow shoulders.
This is the pattern I use for Solarveil fabric. Solarveil is thin, but very strong, and I find this method is much easier to sew and wear when using Solarveil.

--------------------
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aud fish 2 fish red fish blue fish:
NoJo Sling
http://www.amazon.com/Original-NoJo-Sling-Dr%252e-Black/dp/B000096L4F
It cost more than I remember.

Buy a sling from Starla.

I give discounts for friends in need (including snopesters), but normally I sell my slings from $35 and up. Compared to other custom slings I'm still a great deal. The standard craft-person's calculation for labor charges is to double the cost of materials and add $5 per hour. I don't do that because everyone I know who wants a sling cannot afford it and I want them to be able to have a sling. I'm a bit of an advocate for "babywearing."

The prices I talked about before were what Gnat should expect to pay if making one for herself.

--------------------
MyBandwagon

Gnat
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Those patterns and instructions look fantastic, Starla...I can't thank you enough. I don't understand all of the sewing instructions, but I expect my mom will. I'd really like to give this a shot...I can't think of a better way of bonding with and calming my baby, especially in the early months. [Smile] I also love that you can nurse while the baby's in the sling..sound incredibly convenient!
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gnat:
Thanks so much, Algae...That book looks really good, too...do you suppose it's applicable to Canadian purchasing, or does it mostly refer to items/stores available only in the U.S.?

IIRC, the book had several Canadian resources and quite a few times mentioned things that were only available in Canada. Since it's mostly geared to products and stores that are readily available or available online, living in Canada shouldn't be a problem for this book. [Smile]

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Gnat- I never got the hang of nursing in the sling, but it could have to do with my, erm, "prominent assets." Even still, I found it a useful covering while sitting down to nurse in public when the need arose. I could go on and on about how much I love baby slings. I used my stroller only 3 times with my second child (I didn't have a sling with my first, so sad!) because the sling was so much more convenient. AND, in public people are much less likely to put their germy hands all over your precious baby when baby is on your chest. Funny how adult personal space is more respected. [Smile]

--------------------
MyBandwagon

I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
We have a crawler! Yesterday daycare called to tell us that Rowan crawled. She was not willing to wait for the teacher to come to her, so she came to the teacher. The teacher called the office staff in and scooched Rowan back, and she crawled again and again (with a perplexed look on her face, why do you keep putting me here when I obviously want to be there?)

Actually, I suspect she crawled earlier in the morning. She emerged from the far side of our kitchen island while I was preparing her bottles and I suspected she had crawled there. But she also has a sit up and lunge transportation technique that is slow but effective, so I didn't know for sure.

Again, she appears to have read the baby development books, she will be 8 months old next week. Now we just need to babyproof the house before she works up speed!

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yay, Rowan! Start driving your parents crazy! Yay!

--------------------

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kismoctopus:
Now we just need to babyproof the house before she works up speed!

IIRC you have approximately 36 hours....

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
We're still waiting for Frank to smile for the first time. He'll be eight weeks on Wednesday. [Frown]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Don't worry Zorro, it will happen. It's better when they surprise you with it anyway.
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Yay Rowan! Great job crawling!

Zorro, Frank will get there. Don't worry too much about it. Remember to be goofy with him... make silly faces, blow raspberries, make silly sounds, pretend to eat up his feet, etc. He'll get there eventually.

Saleh just finally is getting pretty good about flipping on his back from his tummy onto his back. The very first time he flipped over was from tummy to back, but he only did that once and then was the master of back to tummy. But he's starting to get good getting back onto his back. Of course, he'll only do that a few times before getting "stuck" on his belly again and not liking it. He wants to crawl, but he's just not there yet. If wanting were enough, he'd be motoring all over the place. [Smile]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae

I was at a baby shower today. Mom-to-be got a lot of stuff, and since she loves 3 hours away, she's seriously considering renting a U-Haul to bring it all back. Target's registry screwed up, and she ended up with 3 Pack 'n' Plays.

--------------------

Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Algae:
Target's registry screwed up, and she ended up with 3 Pack 'n' Plays.

One for home, one for Grandma's, one for other Grandma's. Seems like it would work! [Wink]

Seriously, we gave a lot of baby surplus to my grandma, because she babysat that first year. It got a lot of use, and some of it still is!

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arrow-Tech IV

Heck, I'd love to have a Pack N' Play for my mother's house. Right now we're frequenting secondhand shops and looking for one for her house "on the cheap".
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:
Originally posted by kismoctopus:
Now we just need to babyproof the house before she works up speed!

IIRC you have approximately 36 hours....
Ha ha, I think you're right. This morning I called her to me and she looked at me like I was crazy and then this little light went on in her eyes like "Hey, I can go places!" and she came right over to me. Pretty fast. Poor cat, his days are numbered.

Rowan's got a weird crawl, she keeps her elbows locked and throws her arms out to the side. Hubby says she's a Lippizanner pony.

Zorro, Frank will smile. He's just working on other stuff right now. So many new things to figure out, and the babies all have their own priorities and they don't even check with Mommy and Daddy to see what we'd like them to master next! I would much prefer that Rowan figure out sleeping and eating well instead of pulling up and cruising, for instance!

PI, Saleh sounds a lot like Rowan. She was ready to move a long time before she figured out the mechanics of crawling. And although she showed she could roll over many months ago, she stopped doing it entirely right after and only started again 2 weeks ago. And being in crawling position and unable to move really ticked her off! What finally made the connection for Rowan was when she tried to crawl to Daddy in our bed and the Daddy-dent in the bed "helped" her along. It's like that just made something click for her.

Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Heh. My daughter walks like she's in the "Thriller" video. Her right arm is bent at the elbow such that her hand is roughly at neck level, while her other arm is pointed straight down.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Arrow, if you lived closer, I'd give you one of ours. We currently have a P'N'P at the IL's house and two here (one was for downstairs, one for upstairs, so we didn't have to keep lugging it back and forth. However, Saleh has outgrown the bassinet part, so we got him a portable crib for upstairs and the downstairs one has been converted to a Time Out space for Khaled....... but... he seems to like it so much (he's even climbed INTO it 3 or 4 times) that it's mostly a time out for mommy... to have time away from Khaled! [Smile] The P'N'P from upstairs is currently collapsed down and packed up and stuck in a closet.

I'm sure that Saleh will be crawling just as soon as he can figure out how to get his tummy off the floor. He doesn't really try to roll over on his tummy and then push himself up. He rolls on his tummy and then gets royally pissed off until either he rolls back (with much applause and praise from mommy) or we have to rescue him. Most often, he's sitting on the floor between my legs and "falls" over one of my legs reaching for something, then kicks with his feet, kinda pushing off my other leg... so it's like he's trying to crawl and he's using my thigh to keep his tummy off the floor. It's very funny.

But I think Saleh will be along the lines of normal baby development when it comes to crawling. Khaled put it off for the longest time, then crawled for a few days, then took his first steps, then decided to crawl for another 2-3 weeks, then figured that walking thing was pretty cool. I actually have some video of Khaled crawling... it was pretty hilarious. I called it the "limping chimp" because he was on his hands, one knee, and one foot. He would push off with his foot, "recover" with his knee to bring it next to his foot or just slightly in front of his foot, then walk out with his hands, push off with his foot. HOURS of fun!

--------------------

Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Looks like I'll be visiting this thread more often....I'm pregnant!

I had severe cramps last week went to the ER and found out i'm two or three weeks along. They did an ultrasound and said everything looks normal but I have a dr's apt this month just to follow up. I am absolutely terrified but excited! This is my first pregnancy.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Congrats Giselle!
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Frank is in one of his "I don't feel like sleeping" moods today. [Mad]

He'd had such horrible gas, and was crying off and on, and was all agitated from it. Finally, on Saturday, it occured to me and hubby that maybe he's a little lactose intolerant. So, we got some soy-based formula. He's been on that almost 48 hours, and no horrible gas episodes. [Smile] I know his crankiness now is just orneriness and not gas because when I pick him up, he calms right down, but with the gas, it didn't matter if we were holding him.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Saturday was a big day for us. We implanted three beautiful blastocytes that we are hoping will successfully attach and grow into beautiful little fetuses and then infants. We stayed close to the clinic this time on the day of transfer and half of the next day. I am now on the third day of bed rest and will find out next week if this time, our last time, works!

Any vibes or good luck wishings will be greatly appreciated, as we want this to happen so badly!

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Grow, grow, embryo!
Grow, grow, embryo!

You've got all my vibes, vanilla, and I'll see what I can do about borrowing more from the neighbors. [Big Grin]

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Getting a bit long in here; I'll close this thread up and someone can start a new one.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages