snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Attention Fish o'Thwackin people (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Attention Fish o'Thwackin people
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope you had fun, Trish. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Who's next? I can't remember.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cervus is next. Sent her our fishy friends a few days ago.

To keep you occupied, here's all the photos I took.

Me completely losing my mind: Reenacting the Willard poster art. (Actual poster, for comparision)

Possibly the gayest photo of fish you'll ever see.
Git t'werk, ya lazy critters! (My victory garden, in progress)

I said, Git t'werk!!!

Enjoying "The Bling" at the shop I knit at on Thursdays.

Swimming in expensive yarn at the shop I knit at on Thursdays.

Posing in Queen Anne's Square, Newport. (For anyone who's seen Amistad, to the left of the picture is where the prison was. Ok, it was a fake wall of a prison, but it looked cool. Take note of the trash bin - there's a plaque on it thanking the creators of Amistad. Yes, we thank commerce here by dedicating trash bins to them.)

More of the same at Queen Anne's Square

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Very cool. If they just went to Cervus I should be getting them in the next 2-3 months. I guess I better figure out what I'm going to do with them. (And work out some help taking pictures too.)

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I pretty please be added to the list?

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love your "poster", Trish! You must have had a great time doing that. It highlights you and the fish beautifully. It sets a new standard for all the rest of us fish hosts.
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trish, I love your "Willard" poster!

I'm glad Thwacky's getting around. I had almost forgotten about him.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bad news, guys. Thwacky will be delayed a week because I have to go out of town tomorrow morning for family business. I was hoping he'd show up in my mailbox today so I could take photos before I left, but he didn't. (Trish, I did get the other stuff you sent separately - just no Thwacky yet).

If he arrives tomorrow he'll just have to sit in my mailbox until Sunday. Sorry for the delay, but family comes before the fish.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Sorry for the delay, but family comes before the fish.

Someone needs to talk to Cervus and get her priorities in order.

[fish]

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oy, the trouble getting that poster art done! I wanted to something different, "arty". I didn't want to do a cliché "Here they are near water" photo (as I live on an island). For the full scoop of the insanity on making it:

I was wearing a turtleneck white shirt, black tie and black satin shirt over it. I made collars for the shirt out of typing paper and had to tape it on to my white shirt. The black shirt was a size too small (too much pizza for me!), so my arms couldn't move too well.

I got black poster board and hung it on the shower curtain rod in the bathroom and set the camera in the medicine cabinet (as there wasn't anyone around to shoot it for me). I spent a good half hour getting the shot done, what with Thwacky not being in full frame half the time. Also not easy for me to do it without my glasses, as I'm a complete Mr. Magoo without them. (You try setting a camera for shots, putting it in place and posing in an ill-fitting shirt without seeing what you're doing!)

Then I spent another good half hour trying to find out what font the words are in the original artwork, figuring out where the lines should go in the letters of my name, etc. Then editing my picture in it just right. Then going to Paint to edit out the shine and zipper in my black satin shirt.

Lotsa work for that picture! Now I know how Marrya feels when she makes those group pictures of Snopesters! Whew! Us struggling artists and our trout!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cervus, I see no problems, since you let us know, and it was just bad timing. Just make sure to get them back on the road as soon as you can.

Trish, your pictures are fabulous! My picture is looking lamer and lamer as time goes on. [Wink]

I've added The Ota Faction and tribrats to the list. That makes 82 people so far!

--------------------
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish Full Of Fish:
Lotsa work for that picture!

Wow! I thought it was a cool homage to the original, but I didn't realize what was involved. Great work!

"The purpose of art is to leap through the air, land gracefully on the toe, and not to grimace with the pain."

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 08 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
***Big Blush***

I honestly thought I'd get a bigger reaction to the Spongebob photo! [lol]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth, I got a hearty guffaw out of the Spongebob pic.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The fish have arrived safe and sound, and they'll be on their way to Lilybet as soon as I get her address.

Well, the fishies were not pleased with having to sit in my mailbox for five days in the Florida heat. They were even more upset to learn that I'd only have one day to show them around Gainesville; they'd been lured (ha ha) to Florida with promises of golden sunsets, Mickey Mouse, and long swims along the beach. But, alas, my hectic schedule prevented me from being a good hostess, and the fish were left to flounder on their own without a tour guide.

It was an overcast day so they couldn't even enjoy the warm sunshine. On top of that, my dog took quite a liking to Thwacky and Whacky, deciding they were his own personal chew toys.

They'd had enough. So they asked a local about some good places to visit around town.

They visited the University of Florida, but school had just let out for the summer, so the campus was deserted. No frat parties or fisheries science classes to sit in on. However, they did get to appreciate some modern art. And although they were in Gator Country, this was as close to an alligator as they wanted to get.

On the advice of the locals, the fish then strolled around Gainesville's historic district and were in awe of the Southern mansions that line several blocks.

By then the skies had grown even more cloudy, and the fish had to call it a day. But they resigned to return to Florida another time, possibly with a tour grouper.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the fish sculpture picture, Cervus! Where is that?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry it took so long to post my pics! I picked my three favorite ones and posted 'em up on photobucket for the blog. Chronologically in the fish travels, I guess I go up there between Silas and Trish.

Shortly after the fish arrived, Mrs. Wonko and I, being socially responsible temporary parents, immediately took them down the road to the local brothel, where Whacky and Thwacky learned about the birds and the bees and how not to practice safe spawning.

We continued their education with a history lesson, by visiting what might be the most sadly overrated national landmark in the USA.

"Is that the real thing?!", they asked excitedly, having grown up hearing all about it in school.

Nope. Definitely not. Even says so right over there.

"Is this even the right location?", they ask, their enthusiasm only slightly dampened.

Nope. Almost certainly not. And most of what you learned in school about what happened is false, too. Sorry guys, but at least you have a story to take with you. And don't ask how that liquid got on the landmark. I don't know, and I don't WANT to know.

Having come face to face with the brutal realities of revisionism, the fish came back to the homestead to wrap up their visit with us. Sadly, on their last night with the Sanes, one of the local denizens croaked, so the fish and all the rest of the family (only a small percentage of them is visible) paid their respects before the stiff went to find out what angel lust is really all about.

Well, at least they got the chance to reveal to the world where their true baseball allegiances lie before they were shipped off to Trish in Rhode Island.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
But they resigned to return to Florida another time, possibly with a tour grouper.

Do tour groupers travel in busfish?*

Nonny

*10 points for literary reference.

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:
I love the fish sculpture picture, Cervus! Where is that?

It's on the side of McCarty Hall Building D at UF.

--------------------

Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got the blog updated through the visit with Cervus.

That being done... would anyone be interested in taking over the responsibility of being the Chronicler of the Fish? It occurs to me that this is something that should be traded off once in awhile. It's fun. You just need some simple blogging skills, and maybe some photoediting skills in some cases (nothing more than cropping and resizing, though). Anyone?

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that's a very good idea, Minstrel. I'd volunter, but I don't have any decent photo editing software. Anyone else up for it?

--------------------

Lilybet
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilybet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Minstrel, if you don't have anyone lined up, I'll do it if you want. I just reserve the right to pass on the torch in a few months in case I get overwhelmed...!

The fishies are not here yet, but I am anticipating their arrival with "baited" breath. Ah ha ha ha.

I work with such cool people. Everyone in my workgroup knows about the fishies and is eager to participate. They're all dishy young men, too. [Big Grin] Damn life is nice! [lol]

--------------------
A day in the life: Human woman *** Frozen turkey

Posts: 1361 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can sign me up for the photo-resizing/blogging thing when you want. Just let me know. I've got a couple photo programs and time on my hands. [Smile]

My daughters think the fish are cool, my son and husband think we're insane.

If anyone wants to move me up the list and get me the fishes by the end of June, Shawn will be visiting from Australia. He's a good sport. (he'll be here from June 25 till July 25). If not, that's okay too.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lilybet:
Minstrel, if you don't have anyone lined up,
I work with such cool people. Everyone in my workgroup knows about the fishies and is eager to participate. They're all dishy young men, too. [Big Grin] Damn life is nice! [lol]

Uh, hel-LO? You haven't mentioned this before because?

Gayle "some friend"

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frog_Feathers:
If anyone wants to move me up the list and get me the fishes by the end of June, Shawn will be visiting from Australia. He's a good sport. (he'll be here from June 25 till July 25). If not, that's okay too.

I don't have a problem with that. We'll just have to see where the fish will be at the time, and see if the receipient at that time will mind. Right now I'm thinking it's going to be in Florida with Spam and Cookies at that time, if I'm looking at the list right.

--------------------

Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
quote:
Originally posted by Lilybet:
Minstrel, if you don't have anyone lined up,

Uh, hel-LO? You haven't mentioned this before because?

Gayle "some friend"

Indeed.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lilybet
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilybet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm supposed to SHARE?

Lily "oh please" bet

--------------------

Posts: 1361 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 208 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lilybet, have you contacted Cervus with your address? Or the other way around?]

I do believe AnglRdr is after you, so you may want to contact her as well.

Great pics, Wonko and Cervus. I'm really starting to wish I'd taken better pics. Maybe I can get back on the list. [Wink]

--------------------

Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Rhee sent me a PM offering to maybe be the Fishblogger for the summer. Maybe we could work out some sort of schedule for those who are willing to take over the job?

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lilybet
Xboxing Day

Yep, Cervus PMd for my address on Monday (and I did reply) so the fishies should be here any day now. I figured on PMing AnglRdr the day Thwacky & Whacky arrive, though if she'd like to jump the gun and send me her address now, I won't lose it. [Smile]

Schedule. Work out. Sounds complicated.

Lily "and did I mention dishy young men?" bet

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lilybet should have my addy now.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, you did. And you mentioned not sharing which I think is an awfully stingy stance for a married woman with two single friends. After all, I introduced you to Si-- er, To-- no, married, Do-- damn. I introduced you to a lot of assholes. snerk.
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lilybet
Xboxing Day

Fishy fishy fishy fish arrived today! W00T! AnglRdr, I'll PM you again to let you know when they're on their way to you. Tomorrow I'm a-gonna put them dishy young men to work. [Big Grin]

Gayle and Kev, I'll call you guys - maybe we can get together tomorrow evening? Well, I'll call y'allsies.

--------------------

Gale

save me from cleaning my apartment!
Gale

Well, Lilybet's at work, so I'll tell you that the fish went out for a beer last night. Pictures soon.
Lilybet
Xboxing Day

I should be finishing up tomorrow - had to wait for one of the dishies who's in a training class till tomorrow afternoon. Then I hope to have the fish out in the mail to AnglRdr on Friday.

Oh boy this is gonna be great. I'm so 'cited. [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages