snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Attention Fish o'Thwackin people (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Attention Fish o'Thwackin people
Loony
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loony   E-mail Loony   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OH, tell me you used the pics of them getting screeched in!

Nonny

I think the one submitted was the one with the certificate behind them.

It was a fun visit. [Smile]

edited to add quote from Nonny

--------------------
Avoid scattering your energies - advice from a fortune cookie.

Posts: 253 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pilchik
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for pilchik   E-mail pilchik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Great photos! Those two are going to have some tales to tell their grandchildren .... er .... ah ... yeah, thats it, their grandchildren. Who is the artist? I love the row houses. [Smile]

--------------------
"20 years of boredom"

Posts: 242 | From: Niagara Falls, Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Loony's sister actually did those paintings. SHe's quite the artist.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loony
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Loony   E-mail Loony   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pilchik:
Great photos! Those two are going to have some tales to tell their grandchildren .... er .... ah ... yeah, thats it, their grandchildren. Who is the artist? I love the row houses. [Smile]

Yeah my sister did those paintings, those are an actual set of row houses from Church Hill, or is it Cathedral Hill ??? I always get those two mixed up.

I'll let her know you liked them. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 253 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the picture of the fish with the cat. The look on the cat's face is priceless.

Loony and Ringkeeper, looks like you guys had a great time. Hope you had fun with the fishes!

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

How are they going to acquire grandchildren? While same-sex couples are allowed to adopt in many parts of the world, I don't know of anywhere where rubber fish are allowed to adopt.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 102 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it's time to lobby to change that! Fair rights for fishes!

--------------------
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Titmouse:
quote:

How are they going to acquire grandchildren? While same-sex couples are allowed to adopt in many parts of the world, I don't know of anywhere where rubber fish are allowed to adopt.
Like opposite-sex rubber fish would have so much more success spawning. [lol]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And there's the fact that one's a trout whilst the other is a shark to consider...what would the kids look like?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pilchik
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pilchik   E-mail pilchik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
And there's the fact that one's a trout whilst the other is a shark to consider...what would the kids look like?

This? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"20 years of boredom"

Posts: 242 | From: Niagara Falls, Ontario | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The blog is updated for all to see!

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 99 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent job on the blog, Minstrel, as always. I'm giggling at it and getting weird looks from my fellow students. Ah, if they could only understand.

--------------------

A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I was wondering if it would be possible to cut in line, because over the course of one weekend I will be both in Boston at a book signing (so Thwacky and Whacky could get to meet Anthony Rapp, actor, writer, singer, dancer, GLBT advocate, and my idol. It would be their first celebrity endorsement) and then going straight to Pittsburg to an anime convention. This is all going down between March 28 and April 3, and then I could send him on, but Thwacky and Whacky would get to see both a great deal of the country and get to meet a celebrity. ^_^ (I'll also get a pic of them at the Paul Bunyan statue or Stephen King's house, just so we know they were in my home state,too.)

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From my husband, "So where are we on the fish wacking list?"

No, the fishes won't get wacked when they come to Switzerland. [Smile]

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loony
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loony   E-mail Loony   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh the blog is cool, RingKeeper excellent job writing out the adventure!

A great big thank you to Lizzy and Minstrel for taking the time and energy to co-ordinate the schedule, and the upkeep of the blog.

Loony

--------------------

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where the heck is that fish and his "traveling companion" the shark? Did they ditch us all completely? Did they settle on a nice split level fish tank somewhere in New Hampshire?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah..where are they? DH and I are anxious to host our piscene friends. At this rate, I'd guess they'll arrive in WV around July 2012. [lol]

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wish Thwacky and Wacky were coming my way next week. I'm going to NoCal to see LTCC. They'd get to see two Snopesters in one trip!

BTW- Could someone please correct the spelling of my name on Thwacky's itinerary? [Wink]

Remark "attempting to kill two birds(or is it fish?) with one stone(or is it trip?) gullabull

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The fish arrived here today. Well, they arrived here yesterday and I forgot to check the mail, so they spent the night in the mailbox. In Edmonton. In March. They're a little grumpy.

They'll be in the mail to Silas on Friday.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lilybet
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilybet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Squeeeeee! Getting close!

They most likely won't make bluebonnet season, but I'm still chock full of photo/story ideas.

Yesterday I told a couple of cow orker guys about the Fish o'Thwacking and how he'd be coming to visit soon. They smiled indulgently.

Go ahead and patronize me, boys. We'll see who ends up getting [fish] !

--------------------
A day in the life: Human woman *** Frozen turkey

Posts: 1361 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thwacky and Whacky had their whirlwind tour of Edmonton and are in the post on their way to San Diego. I'll post all of my pictures here and email the links to Minstrel to make her choices for the blog, since she's taking a break for Lent.

Despite the lovely mild winter we've had in Edmonton, we got a massive amount of snow in a very short amount of time. The fish didn't seem too thrilled with this, so took their chances indoors with the cat. We had them in the car to West Edmonton Mall in no time. Being fish, they were quite impressed with all of that Alberta sky.

Once in the world's largest mall, they admired the replica of the Santa Maria, hammed it up for a Sea Life Caverns photo op, longed for a dip in the World Waterpark, narrowly escaped being crushed by a Chinatown lion, and tried to talk me into going on the indoor rollercoaster (no bloody way). They took a short break after finding Nemo and Dori to share their travel story with their captive brethren.

Since I had been up until 4am and forced to get up at the ungodly hour of 11am, I insisted upon stopping for a biscotti and coffee at Second Cup, where my SO lectured the fish on the concept of streamline. Better them than me.

That evening, the fish had dinner with us and our world traveler friends who have biked all over the world. The fish tried out the bikes but decided that their inability to reach the pedals made the postal system the better choice for their travels. After I went home, the fish geeked it up with a game of Magic: The Gathering.

Phew!

--------------------

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lilybet
Xboxing Day

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Lilybet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
hammed it up for a Sea Life Caverns photo op.

They're all great pictures, but that one in particular struck me as so funny that I almost peed myself.

I suppose that would be a YOMAN - nevermind.

--------------------
A day in the life: Human woman *** Frozen turkey

Posts: 1361 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by Lilybet:
quote:
hammed it up for a Sea Life Caverns photo op.

They're all great pictures, but that one in particular struck me as so funny that I almost peed myself.
Heehee. Eeeexcellent. We both started laughing when we walked by that photo op and couldn't pass it up. Awkward picture to take, though!

--------------------

Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radical Dory   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I insisted upon stopping for a biscotti and coffee at Second Cup, where my SO lectured the fish on the concept of streamline. Better them than me.

Ha! Your SO looks so seriously deep in discussion with them. I'd wager you got some strange looks from passersby when taking that one.

quote:
The fish tried out the bikes but decided that their inability to reach the pedals made the postal system the better choice for their travels.
...therefore proving that old adage about fish and bicycles. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"But about the reindeer...what kind of a nose shines? How did he get it? Maybe it's not a reindeer after all. It could be something else."

Posts: 2216 | From: Winston-Salem, NC | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by Radical Dory:
Ha! Your SO looks so seriously deep in discussion with them. I'd wager you got some strange looks from passersby when taking that one.

It was fantastic. There was a couple sitting immediately to the right (his left) at the coffee bar. We sat down, got settled, and I said "Gimme the fish and the camera!" They overheard, did a double take, and watched the whole thing while attempting to carry on their conversation as I set up the shot and said "Okay, look like you're talking to them." I snapped a few pictures then sat down and discussed how hosting the fish was much more fun than I expected and what a neat exercise in global unity this whole project is. The couple continued to sneak glances at us and I'm pretty sure they thought we were on crack.

I was shopping, too, but I only had one shopkeeper make a comment. "Nice fish," he said. Everyone else pointedly ignored the fish.

--------------------

Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm breaking (just for a moment) my self-imposed exile in my capacity as Thwacky's biographer to ask in consternation, "Didn't UEL take any pictures?" [Confused]

Jenn, these are great! I'll get them up on the blog as soon as I can.

*crawls back to Lenten cave*

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The things UEL was doin' with Thwacky, you don't wanna see pictures... [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know when Fishy came to visit me, the post mistress was very curious. When I got the box I remarked "Oh, it's fishy!" and Molly was dancing around she was so excited. The PO lady asked what it was and I explained. The lady behind me in line was a grade school who had done the whole "Flat Stanley" deal and she understood completely.

When I mailed Fishy off, I told the lady where he was going. She asked if I wanted to insure him. I said "How much damage can you do to a rubber fish?"

Can't wait to hear more of Fishy's adventures!

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel.:
I'm breaking (just for a moment) my self-imposed exile in my capacity as Thwacky's biographer to ask in consternation, "Didn't UEL take any pictures?" [Confused]

Jenn, these are great! I'll get them up on the blog as soon as I can.

*crawls back to Lenten cave*

I have photos. We've had a minor familial crisis while the two were visiting and photos etc took a back seat.

I'll get them off tonight.

Happy Lent!

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 08 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
hammed it up for a Sea Life Caverns photo op

Guess we know who the wife/cross dresser of the pair is now, don't we?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
by Jenn

"Gimme the fish and the camera!"

I snorted so loud when I read that, got a very odd look from my cow-orker, and suddenly the absurdity of it all, the inability to explain it to her hit me and I started cracking up so hard that I had tears rolling down my face and I couldn't stop!

Lord, I swear everyone here at work thinks [b]I'M[/b} on crack!

Thanks Jenn, I needed that!

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, how do I find "Wonko the Sane" who is next on the fish list after me? I can't seem to find any messages from him, in order to use the PM function. Yo! Wonko! PM me or email me else I am wo the fish may pass you by!

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
Hey, how do I find "Wonko the Sane" who is next on the fish list after me? I can't seem to find any messages from him, in order to use the PM function.

Here's his recent posts.

--------------------

Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I may, I'd like to vote for the Chinatown lion and the lecture on streamline for second and third pic!

Great job, Jenn!

Don "longing to host the fish" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Turribly sorry folks! With moving into the new digs and all, I haven't had much time to post here. Silas, I'll PM you!

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages